• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Juicy Bob

So are we ever going to set up a GAF racing league?

I'm thinking a GT3 series in the spirit of Mush's SuperGT series from the Gran Turismo 5 days...

So are we ever going to set up a GAF racing league?

I'm thinking a GT3 series in the spirit of Mush's SuperGT series from the Gran Turismo 5 days...

This would be awesome. I´d be all over it.

I´m pretty sure we can field 20-25 cars. Problem is, i guess most of the users are split PS4/PC, so that´s a problem.

fresquito

I did a video thinking of (the Spanish) danowat, where I explain Career mode in detail. So, I will make a sum up of what the video contains for those not versed in the language of Cervantes.
  • The basics are the same: You pick a class within a tier and make your way up (or not) to higher ranks.
  • This time around you are forced to choose a class from Tier 6 to Tier 3 and Tier 2 and 1 will be blocked from start.
  • Once you choose your first Tier, you are locked in and will move from there (meaning once you choose Tier 6, to move to Tier 3 you'll need to complete Tier 5 and 4). In some circumstances (where it makes sense) you can go back to a lower Tier if you wish to.
  • You can of course repeat the same Tier, even the same class.
  • You are given the option to choose what Series to play, depending on class, there will be more or less. Once you beat the smaller Series, you'll get access to the Finals Series of that class, at the end of which you'll be asked what should be your next step through the ranks.
  • At the start of a Series you are asked whether you want to race Full or Short Championship, which will vary the number of races, not the lengh.
  • Each class and Series has Rules that mimic real life, from points, to structure, to regulation of pits...
  • Once chosen the Series, you are in the Home tab. This Tab grants you access to the Race, Calendar (this is basically a list of your incoming Races. No FIFA-like Calendar with a thousand overlapping posters), email and Standings (only your own Series Championships Standings, meaning Driver's, Team's and each individual Race standings).
  • In Race (this works for all races in this mode), you can configure Practice, Qualy and Race lengh (Practice and Qualys will be there when the Series or Race supports them, and lengh will be between a set of duration/laps given by the Series).
  • Then there're three more tabs: Manufacturer's Affinity, Invitational Events and Progress and Settings.
  • You unlock Manufacturer's Affinity by racing cars of such manufacturer. Once you've made enough progress, you'll be given the chance to race a Proving Ground. This Proving Ground can be played as many times as the player needs to beat it. Once beaten, the pkayer will unlock three Events. You need to beat the first to play the second and the second to play the third. Once unlocked these events, the Proving ground is accesible no more (that I know).
  • Invitational Events work similar, but instead of racing for a manufacturer, you unlock them by completing goals within Career (make x podiums, race y laps, win z championship). These events are thematic and are different in nature to what the regular series offer (like historic races).
  • Both Manufacturer's and Invitationals can be played as many times as the player wishes to and at any time, once unlocked.
  • From what I've seen conditions are set in stone.
  • Progress and Settings is divided in many sections: Lifetime Goals (triple crown, getting manufacturer's affinity, winning x championships, etc.), Trophies (29 total, one per Series Finals), Accolades (won by winning Series, both small and finals), My Career (where you can see the classes you've been in so far and how many seasons have you've been in each), Current Series (an outlook at what paths your Series offers) and Career Settings (where you can change difficulty aggression and disable Restarts).
And that's basically it. If you want to check the video yourself (all screens are shown), here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZj3sPweSA8

Fox Mulder

Are pitstops still worse than AIDS like the first game? It triggered me honestly. I don't even care about fully animated crews.

The UI sucked and I once accidentally only changed one front tire to wet. AI cars also ghosted in pits destroying gaps earned on the track, but you were held far too long for safe releases.

The f1 games let you do anything really with a simple dpad UI even while racing.

fresquito

You can have manual pits now. There's a similar menu to that of F1 games that can be navigated at any time. I don't know about releases and ghostling since I haven't tested that throughly.

Mascot

How is development going, Fres? Does it feel like a game that's seven weeks from release?
I think it's super-important to its success that pCARS 2 launches complete and with minimal bugs, not only to review well but also to win back the fence-sitting burnees from the first game.

And more importantly: how is VR? I love it in pCARS (Atoms in a thunderstorm = white knuckles and soiled pants) and have heard it's mightily improved in pCARS 2.

danowat

Banned
How is development going, Fres? Does it feel like a game that's seven weeks from release?

I was thinking the same thing, I assume it'll go gold very soon.

As an aside, I've been playing PC1 again, apart from the obvious issues the core of the game is still pretty good, I'm trying not to get too hyped, just in case there are any delays.

fresquito

I think it's super-important to its success that pCARS 2 launches complete and with minimal bugs, not only to review well but also to win back the fence-sitting burnees from the first game.

And more importantly: how is VR? I love it in pCARS (Atoms in a thunderstorm = white knuckles and soiled pants) and have heard it's mightily improved in pCARS 2.
PC1, 7 weeks from release, I was wondering how many patches would the game need to get finished (never was). Now I'm wondering how many patches it will need to round it up. A game of this magnitude will have problems at release. There's nothing that can be done about that. The nature of these problems will make or break it. From my experience, these will be some inconsistency problems with AI combos, maybe some setups from some cars, some hidden or not so obvious physics problem, inconsistencies with LiveTrack and other emergent things, some small bugs with the GUI or audio or graphics...I haven't seen anything gamebreaking, really.

My only concern is with Online Championships. This mode was not included in the Master Candidate (the copy you send manufacturer's to get the approval and make gold from there), so it will be D1P. As a result, it's lacking some love. Let's hope it can get the attention needed in these 7 weeks.

About VR, I haven't played it. The support is improved and it shows in the menu, where there's a VR submenu. In graphics settings you can also SS, which benefits VR quite a lot, I've read. Andy Garton (Head Development) is heavily invested into VR, and he is pushing hard to make it the best experience it can be (for the game's good and for his own's).

Edit: About winning people back, I don't know about PC people, I don't see iRacing and AC fans moving from their respective games anytime soon, no matter how PC2 turns out to be. Other racing fans I can see cautiously approaching the game and give it a chance based on mouth to ear. Less enthusiast people I can see them being quite welcoming to the game. I think it has the chances to be a big hit on PS4. GTSport is looking like a tank to me. It will move numbers because name alone, but I don't see how people would want to go that route otherwise. I think PC2 will be there to consolate many people looking for an actual Career. Xbox, I don't see it making any dent on Forza 7. The game looks solid enough, it's adding some new (to the franchise) things, so people mildly interested in racing will probably look no further.

Mascot

PC1, 7 weeks from release, I was wondering how many patches would the game need to get finished (never was). Now I'm wondering how many patches it will need to round it up. A game of this magnitude will have problems at release. There's nothing that can be done about that. The nature of these problems will make or break it. From my experience, these will be some inconsistency problems with AI combos, maybe some setups from some cars, some hidden or not so obvious physics problem, inconsistencies with LiveTrack and other emergent things, some small bugs with the GUI or audio or graphics...I haven't seen anything gamebreaking, really.

My only concern is with Online Championships. This mode was not included in the Master Candidate (the copy you send manufacturer's to get the approval and make gold from there), so it will be D1P. As a result, it's lacking some love. Let's hope it can get the attention needed in these 7 weeks.

About VR, I haven't played it. The support is improved and it shows in the menu, where there's a VR submenu. In graphics settings you can also SS, which benefits VR quite a lot, I've read. Andy Garton (Head Development) is heavily invested into VR, and he is pushing hard to make it the best experience it can be (for the game's good and for his own's).

Thanks very much for the detailed appraisal. A lot can happen in seven weeks and I've heard elsewhere that pCARS 2 is leagues ahead of where pCARS 1 was at this stage, so I'm cautiously optimistic for launch. So long as the core is solid and the satellite functions are tweaked after launch then I think I'll be OK with that.

Darkdeus

I can say that the VR in PCars 2 is huge improvement to me over Pcars 1. The image quality is a lot better and a lot more stable. There's less shadows/things popping in and less shimmer and overall everything feels a lot more solid if that makes sense.

I think the huge improvement in physics really helps in VR as well as everything just feels right to me where as in Pcars 1 the inertia and weight of the cars always felt off to me and made VR feel kinda weird.

Mascot

I can say that the VR in PCars 2 is huge improvement to me over Pcars 1. The image quality is a lot better and a lot more stable. There's less shadows/things popping in and less shimmer and overall everything feels a lot more solid if that makes sense.

I think the huge improvement in physics really helps in VR as well as everything just feels right to me where as in Pcars 1 the inertia and weight of the cars always felt off to me and made VR feel kinda weird.
Excellent! Can't wait to try it.

Ferrari reveal video

Looks fantastic. SMS pump out some great vids.

I don't care that much about graphics, but... the paint reflexion quality and layers, car and trackside texture resolution, IQ in rain (espeicially contrast)... looks en par at best with Project CARS 1 on console.

Who made this trailer? Ferrari is like the most prestigious and also hard-to-get car license for a game in 2017 (maybe together with Aston and Bentley) and then a trailer like this?

Well whatever, happy a 330 P4 is in there and will hopefully sound and feel good to drive.

Mascot

I don't care that much about graphics, but... the paint reflexion quality and layers, car and trackside texture resolution, IQ in rain (espeicially contrast)... looks en par at best with Project CARS 1 on console.

Who made this trailer? Ferrari is like the most prestigious and also hard-to-get car license for a game in 2017 (maybe together with Aston and Bentley) and then a trailer like this?

Looks fine to me *shrugs*.

Nitpicking, but one thing that does bug me a little is the way SMS mix 60fps and sub-60fps footage in the same trailer. It's happened a few times. There's really no excuse for this with powerful PCs. It cheapens the whole trailer a little for me.

danowat

Banned
For the type of game it is, it looks fine, doesn't look like much of a jump over PC1, but that was good enough for me.

Obviously doesn't stand up to the fidelity of GT, but I'd never expect it too.

fresquito

For the type of game it is, it looks fine, doesn't look like much of a jump over PC1, but that was good enough for me.

Playing there's quite a difference. And that's the thing with PC2: these videos are done with in game assets, no extra doctoring or using models that don't belong to gameplay. I see all the showroom pics and trailers from GT Sport, then go watch some gameplay videos and it's like generations appart. I'm yet to see GT Sport in front of me, but gameplay videos don't do it for me. IMO, asido from some lighting choices, PC2 looks far more consistent and realistic overall (super high contrast sure helps GT in looking appealing while in replays, but during gameplay it's very jarring).

danowat

Banned
Playing there's quite a difference. And that's the thing with PC2: these videos are done with in game assets, no extra doctoring or using models that don't belong to gameplay. I see all the showroom pics and trailers from GT Sport, then go watch some gameplay videos and it's like generations appart. I'm yet to see GT Sport in front of me, but gameplay videos don't do it for me. IMO, asido from some lighting choices, PC2 looks far more consistent and realistic overall (super high contrast sure helps GT in looking appealing while in replays, but during gameplay it's very jarring).

I played the beta, and visually it was really good, not that PC1 even looked 'bad', but the lighting in GT is another level.

Like you say, there is no replacement for playing a game and seeing it with your own eyes.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

maybe because they are focusing more in physics, unlike GT ;)

But I've seen pCARS2 look way better than in that Ferrari reveal video. Even if we're not talking lighting engine... there were non-reflexion jaggies visible without watching it fullscreen. Which is really unnecessary in a trailer, bump the AA, take 1440p footage and downsample it or whatever. It would be different if it said "taken on standard PS4" or something in the trailer.

The trash-talked Long Beach trailer looked fine to me. It looked like "non-bullshot" footage and totally ok, better than pCARS1 to me.
This new Ferrari trailer didn't.

Sini

Recent videos had been pretty good at showing only the best stuff but this Ferrari video shows that all their visual weaknesses are still there.

Mascot

Nothing looks realistic on a 2D screen anyway.

Did I mention I've got VR? I've got VR.
VR4LIFE.
I*heart*VR

I've got VR.

GbHA3j7.png

:p

fresquito

lighting in PC1/2 is more natural and easier to put side by side with reality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Viyk83G9g
The game on the right is having some frampacing issues. Physics look worse than AC and lighting is super flat compared tio GT Sport.

Man, now I understand why nobody plays GT Sport in first person: nobody want to see those hands. What kind of style to grab the wheel is that?

Nothing looks realistic on a 2D screen anyway.

Did I mention I've got VR? I've got VR.
VR4LIFE.
I*heart*VR

I've got VR.

:p
Ah, I'm stuck in 2D, in life and in videogames. Meanr to be a peasant forever :-(

I want 150° vision and at very least 2 mega pixel per eye, 3-4 would be better. Also better pixel distance between pixels, no black grid (forgot the name of the effect).
Until that I'm pretty sure I'll stick to TVs and monitors... unless it gets so easy to use and cheap it would makes sense even if I only use it 3 hours per year.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The game on the right is having some frampacing issues. Physics look worse than AC and lighting is super flat compared tio GT Sport.

Man, now I understand why nobody plays GT Sport in first person: nobody want to see those hands. What kind of style to grab the wheel is that?

Ah, I'm stuck in 2D, in life and in videogames. Meanr to be a peasant forever :-(

dont worry. Jesus promised some patchs for real life soon...

fresquito

No worries, my friend. I've had 30 years to get used, lol:

BTW, I just uploaded this video explaining Online Championship. It's in Spanish, but you can check all screens (sans Team Roster, which I skipped because there's really not much to talk about)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWnBWVYKV4M

dont worry. Jesus promised some patchs for real life soon...
Sweet. And people were excited because HL patch 19 years in. Now, that's true dedication. Take that, Volvo!

Ammogeddon

Slightly off topic question.

I'm getting my first racing wheel tomorrow,can't wait. I only have Dirt 4 at the moment and was thinking about getting Project Cars to tide me over till PC2 and GTS come out. Standard digital is £9.99 and GOTY is £14.99.

Do you think it's worth it or should I just be patient wait?

Darkdeus

Pcars 2 is so much better in regards to FFB and physics that I would just wait. Maybe pick up Assetto Corsa in the meantime?

low-G

Yeah if PC2 in VR truly is much better than PC1 VR, I am 100% on board, and that's with buying Forza 7 as well.

Momentary

Banned
I feel like Long Beach looks great and the lighting in the game is fantastic. The game is pretty well optimized too. This is the game maxed at 4K with SMAA Ultra and Low Down Sampling.

This is a non photo mode, in game pic using the free cam. I did resize it as to not to destroy people's data plans.

The entire race was 79-88FPS. Without Downsampling it was around 100-120 @ 4K. In motion, with the heat haze and everything else, this was pretty good looking.

Mascot

Maybe it's your turn to sell me on something...
Should I jump in on this..?

Mate, I'd have no hesitation recommending VR to any sim racing enthusiasts with a capable PC and a wheel/pedal setup. It's hard to adequately explain the experience but it's all about presence, freedom and scale: VR puts you in a proper 3D car in proper 3D space on a proper 3D track with proper 3D opponents. It feels like I'm actually there, competing at a living, breathing motorsports venue. It's an utterly convincing, visceral experience after decades on playing on a flat screen by proxy, and for me driving in 2D now seems flat, lifeless and static. Nailing apexes and sensing braking points is a breeze in VR, and tracks that feel flat in 2D suddenly come alive with undulations and changes in elevation that I never knew were there. The first time you corkscrew Laguna is like your first time in a roller-coaster, and parking up at the top of Eau Rouge, getting out of the car and watching the rest of the field to lap you makes you realise just how fucking steep that hill is..!

I've little interest in flappy-arm VR games but VR is an absolutely natural fit for sim racing: your presence in the cockpit is mapped precisely with your arms, wheel, even pedals very close to where you 'sense' they should be, and the VR headset feels like a helmet on your head (with the narrower FoV adding to this illusion).

The only real downside is the reduced resolution and subsequent loss of detail on distant objects, but you very soon forget about this when lost in the experience, and for me the ability to freely look around and view everything with full stereopsis more than makes up for the lower IQ. Racing feels fucking dangerous now. You will brace for impact when heading towards a tyre wall at 180 mph..! People complain about lens-induced God rays in games with high contrast (eg space shooters) but it simply hasn't been an issue for me out on the track.

I'm not sure for how much longer the Summer of Rift sale is still on (another couple of weeks maybe?) but it's an absolute bargain right now (maybe not in Aus, lol - you guys just love getting your wallets dry-humped), and even more so if you sell the bundled stuff you don't need for sim racing like the Touch controllers, extra sensor, Xbox One controller and wireless adapter. I got my cost for the headset and one sensor (all you need for sim racing) down to £180 after flogging the rest off, but I did benefit from a price glitch on initial purchase saving me £70 at the start.

The other option is to buy a DK2 from eBay, as these are being offloaded pretty cheaply right now thanks to this sale of the CV1. A lot of sim racers are very happy with them.

TL;DR - YES!

Mascot

Yep have not had a gaming pc in many years but I'm thinking about it. Haha

It's something you really need to try. I guess head-tracking on a 2D screen is somewhere in between (never tried it myself) but it's the stereopsis that makes everything solid in VR, like you could reach out and touch it.

Just to temper this, some bods in the PC Sim Racing thread flip-flop between VR and 2D (I don't personally think I'll ever go back) and for some the lower IQ is an issue. I came from 4k and yes, a higher VR resolution would be welcomed, but it's in no way essential to the experience. VR can also be exhausting, probably from a combination of the lower resolution making your eyes tired and the sheer bloody intensity of the experience, so some people go back to 2D for endurance races.

Another thing to consider is motion sickness, especially if you are susceptible to it on rollercoasters or car or boat journeys. I only experienced it briefly when using Formula A cars for the first time due to the increased cornering speed and phantom g-forces, but it eased within a couple of sessions down to zero. It's called 'getting your VR legs', just like 'getting your sea legs'. It's basically the disparity between what your eyes and inner ear are telling your brain. People badly affected in the early stages take travel-sickness tablets or suck ginger-based sweets.

Klocker

It's something you really need to try. I guess head-tracking on a 2D screen is somewhere in between (never tried it myself) but it's the stereopsis that makes everything solid in VR, like you could reach out and touch it.

Just to temper this, some bods in the PC Sim Racing thread flip-flop between VR and 2D (I don't personally think I'll ever go back) and for some the lower IQ is an issue. I came from 4k and yes, a higher VR resolution would be welcomed, but it's in no way essential to the experience. VR can also be exhausting, probably from a combination of the lower resolution making your eyes tired and the sheer bloody intensity of the experience, so some people go back to 2D for endurance races.

Another thing to consider is motion sickness, especially if you are susceptible to it on rollercoasters or car or boat journeys. I only experienced it briefly when using Formula A cars for the first time due to the increased cornering speed and phantom g-forces, but it eased within a couple of sessions down to zero. It's called 'getting your VR legs', just like 'getting your sea legs'. It's basically the disparity between what your eyes and inner ear are telling your brain. People badly affected in the early stages take travel-sickness tablets or suck ginger-based sweets.

Ahh thanks for that. Yes I so easily forgot that I have tinnitus and some inner ear issues that cause me to get motion sickness in some games.

Going to have to get my hands on a set up soon to try. My step daughters boyfriend's brother has a killer setup evidently. They are into flight Sims gonna have to see if we can get some driving action on it. Give it a go.

Mascot

Ahh thanks for that. Yes I so easily forgot that I have tinnitus and some inner ear issues that cause me to get motion sickness in some games.

Going to have to get my hands on a set up soon to try. My step daughters boyfriend's brother has a killer setup evidently. They are into flight Sims gonna have to see if we can get some driving action on it. Give it a go.

You really need to try racing in a seat with a wheel and pedals if you can. Using a joypad to drive in first person VR is a very weird experience.

Chase-cam is a blast though - it's like you're sitting in an aerial drone following the car. You will duck under low bridges.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Mate, I'd have no hesitation recommending VR to any sim racing enthusiasts with a capable PC and a wheel/pedal setup. It's hard to adequately explain the experience but it's all about presence, freedom and scale: VR puts you in a proper 3D car in proper 3D space on a proper 3D track with proper 3D opponents. It feels like I'm actually there, competing at a living, breathing motorsports venue. It's an utterly convincing, visceral experience after decades on playing on a flat screen by proxy, and for me driving in 2D now seems flat, lifeless and static. Nailing apexes and sensing braking points is a breeze in VR, and tracks that feel flat in 2D suddenly come alive with undulations and changes in elevation that I never knew were there. The first time you corkscrew Laguna is like your first time in a roller-coaster, and parking up at the top of Eau Rouge, getting out of the car and watching the rest of the field to lap you makes you realise just how fucking steep that hill is..!

I've little interest in flappy-arm VR games but VR is an absolutely natural fit for sim racing: your presence in the cockpit is mapped precisely with your arms, wheel, even pedals very close to where you 'sense' they should be, and the VR headset feels like a helmet on your head (with the narrower FoV adding to this illusion).

The only real downside is the reduced resolution and subsequent loss of detail on distant objects, but you very soon forget about this when lost in the experience, and for me the ability to freely look around and view everything with full stereopsis more than makes up for the lower IQ. Racing feels fucking dangerous now. You will brace for impact when heading towards a tyre wall at 180 mph..! People complain about lens-induced God rays in games with high contrast (eg space shooters) but it simply hasn't been an issue for me out on the track.

I'm not sure for how much longer the Summer of Rift sale is still on (another couple of weeks maybe?) but it's an absolute bargain right now (maybe not in Aus, lol - you guys just love getting your wallets dry-humped), and even more so if you sell the bundled stuff you don't need for sim racing like the Touch controllers, extra sensor, Xbox One controller and wireless adapter. I got my cost for the headset and one sensor (all you need for sim racing) down to £180 after flogging the rest off, but I did benefit from a price glitch on initial purchase saving me £70 at the start.

The other option is to buy a DK2 from eBay, as these are being offloaded pretty cheaply right now thanks to this sale of the CV1. A lot of sim racers are very happy with them.

TL;DR - YES!

I wasn't even considering it and I'm sold!

Top Bottom