• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Q: Since we've seen rallycross and other interesting looking locations. Can you take any vehicle on any track in PCars2? Or will it be locked like Dirt Rally, where you can only take out the Rallycross cars on the Rallycross tracks?

A: Yes, to some hilarious results occasionally.

I'm going to end up spending way more time than I should playing around with this.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I do get where people are coming from, there should be some "game" in there, but not to the extent that the "game" is the main focus (like it is with Forza) and the actually driving comes second.

In games like Forza, you don't really care about the actual racing, you want to get to the front as quickly as possible and stay they, to get the XP and Cr to unlock more cars.

The reality of racing isn't like that, and in fact you can have a much more fun and interesting race without winning, and having mid pack battles, or course you still want to win though.

It requires a whole different mindset from what driving games have traditionally been about, people just need to realise that you can have a race, and not win, and still have had a good experience.

Its amazing that one of my first racing games ever, super monaco gp (genesis), still has one of the best "careers/campaigns" ever. That game nailed all the stuff you mention AMD did an absolutely amazing job with progression. Basically (from memory possible influenced in a rose tinted way), you started the game and your first season of the gp with a very low ranked team. You had a slower car than most, your team scrapped together whatever they had, and the hope was you didnt finish last. Slowly, with a few 15th or 14th finish races, a slightly better team would offer you a job racing for them. This was the progression. Work your way from one team to the next by meeting realistic team goals. If you had a string of bad luck in races, youd get knocked back down the latter amd land with a wprse off team. The ultimate goal of coursr, was to land that position with "ferrari" and actually win a season, but that was a long road and many seasons away. One of the best things about this, other than a focus on racing and not 1st, was that it humanized the teams and made outside the race choices interesting. There were teams you liked, teams you hated. Teams that umderstood some times shit happens and always believed in you, and teams that would drop you for a single dissapointing result.

Are there any modern games that are structured more like this?

danowat

Banned
Its amazing that one of my first racing games ever, super monaco gp (genesis), still has one of the best "careers/campaigns" ever. That game nailed all the stuff you mention AMD did an absolutely amazing job with progression. Basically (from memory possible influenced in a rose tinted way), you started the game and your first season of the gp with a very low ranked team. You had a slower car than most, your team scrapped together whatever they had, and the hope was you didnt finish last. Slowly, with a few 15th or 14th finish races, a slightly better team would offer you a job racing for them. This was the progression. Work your way from one team to the next by meeting realistic team goals. If you had a string of bad luck in races, youd get knocked back down the latter amd land with a wprse off team. The ultimate goal of coursr, was to land that position with "ferrari" and actually win a season, but that was a long road and many seasons away. One of the best things about this, other than a focus on racing and not 1st, was that it humanized the teams and made outside the race choices interesting. There were teams you liked, teams you hated. Teams that umderstood some times shit happens and always believed in you, and teams that would drop you for a single dissapointing result.

Christ, you've got a better memory than me, I remember playing, and loving SMGP on the Megadrive, I seem to remember one of the reasons I love it was because of the rev counter, bizarrely, I've always had a thing for gauges and dials, but I digress.......

As for why aren't more games like this? without coming off all armchair psychologist.....I'd reckon it's down to the whole entitlement ethos we now live with and the fact that if you aren't winning, you're losing, so the games massage your ego by making the win, the game.

op_ivy

Damn. Some of those in race clips just looked insane. Pls be good out of the box.

danowat

Banned
30fps videos. Christ on a unicycle.

Yeah, I know, but what ya gonna do.........

I really think SMS need to put their money where there mouth is this time round, loads of people got burnt with the first one, if they are happy enough with how it plays on console this time, then they should stand by their laurels and release a beta / demo so we can all judge for ourselves.

I really think SMS need to put their money where there mouth is this time round, loads of people got burnt with the first one, if they are happy enough with how it plays on console this time, then they should stand by their laurels and release a beta / demo so we can all judge for ourselves.

They really should. Double so, since I'd just abuse the Steam refunds system if they don't put out a demo to get a "demo peak" anyway. If it doesn't feel different and more natural, I might still want to play it, but not at full price. Refund and buy later again.

Mascot

Absolutely. I hope that happens, but there's an awful lot of work involved in putting a demo out. It could be time well spent though.

danowat

Banned
Absolutely. I hope that happens, but there's an awful lot of work involved in putting a demo out. It could be time well spent though.

Surely they have a demo version that they've sent to media outlets? (Merc GT and Fuji by the looks of it)

Bobnob

Not sure who was driving in that 7 things to know YT, it looks like it needs lots of work in the pad department (its early still) that looks like PC1s handling.

fresquito

Not sure who was driving in that 7 things to know YT, it looks like it needs lots of work in the pad department (its early still) that looks like PC1s handling.
It looks like the guy needs work in his hands, to be honest.

I'm not a pad player and everytime I boot the game I play with pad because I can't get bothered to connect and configure my wheel for every other build. Control pads are so much improved.

I'm sorry, but I'm yet to see a press video where the press guy doesn't play like he is a 3 years old, for any game.

danowat

Banned

I'm not a pad player and everytime I boot the game I play with pad because I can't get bothered to connect and configure my wheel for every other build. Control pads are so much improved.

I'm sorry, but I'm yet to see a press video where the press guy doesn't play like he is a 3 years old, for any game.

In the absence of a beta or demo (I'm not hopeful of one) are they going to be doing any demo pods anywhere?, or any kind of non-media days?

I agree, they never seem to get anyone who has any kind of sim racing experience to test these things at media events, why don't they get some non media people from the sim racing community to try it out?

I've been very vocal about how the game performed on console, and I'd like to think that the settings I spent hours and hours tweaking helped a few people on here, so I know a thing or two about racing a sim on a pad.

Mascot

It's like they deliberately pick people who have never played a racing game before.

Edit: Now this IS a 60fps gameplay video

Dat audio improvement!

Fox Mulder

F1 2016

you have race and season objectives to hit and R&D tasks to complete to improve your car. You rise to new teams with success and fall with failure. The game tracks progress over multiple seasons, so McLaren could become the best team while Mercedes falls, or Haas could be better than Redbull, etc.

Plenty of games do the career mode well. Grid was another great one from codemasters. Had you earning and improving your own sponsors, cars, and hiring teammates. Even EA NASCAR games had great ones too.

As for why aren't more games like this? without coming off all armchair psychologist.....I'd reckon it's down to the whole entitlement ethos we now live with and the fact that if you aren't winning, you're losing, so the games massage your ego by making the win, the game.

AAA racing games have hundreds of cars that they pay to license. The Forza career modes are built around quick 2-3 lap races and collecting, so you race in new things all the time.

I loved that game! I remember having to write down those long obnoxious codes in order to save progress. The team swapping worked through a challenge mechanic I think; if you challenged another driver and beat them two races in a row you got to take their drive.

Then when you finally won the championship, in the first two races of the next season a rookie would challenge you and drive off into the distance like they had double the power (setting up your inevitable comeback and title showdown). The fact that I remember all of that shit says they did something pretty right ;)

terrible

Banned
Well one thing is certain, visually the game is very impressive for a sim and they are being pretty ambitious with the weather effects. I can't really tell much from the gameplay videos myself other than that. I'd need to play it to know how it feels.

op_ivy

even post launch would be bbetter than nothing

Metfanant

I know it's not gonna happen, but all I want are Vipers..Give me Vipers..The old second gen GT2/GTS cars...The GTLM cars from a couple years ago, the GT3 cars from last year...Don't care...Just want to beat Corvettes with Vipers lolol

Now that they haven't got last gen holding it back, it's shaping up very nicely.

I'll go PC this time. Was Project Cars a well optimised game on PC?

Sorry, I meant cross-gen. Actually, was this in development for PS3/360? It certainly looked cross gen in some parts.

I think I'm getting this mixed up with Watch Dogs.

membran

I will buy it solely because it's a racing game with VR support. Likewise, I won't buy any racing game that doesn't have VR support going forward. Voting with my wallet and all that.

"While we respect the competition. I think they should be concerned about the risk of releasing close to pCARS2. We have a massive marketing budget also. But word of mouth based on early play is much more important and we are very confident there."

Brah.......

With the state that PC1 realeased and the time it took to fix bugs or never fix them at all , maybe tone it down a bit.

danowat

Banned
"While we respect the competition. I think they should be concerned about the risk of releasing close to pCARS2. We have a massive marketing budget also. But word of mouth based on early play is much more important and we are very confident there."

Brah.......

With the state that PC1 realeased and the time it took to fix bugs or never fix them at all , maybe tone it down a bit.

Lol

fresquito

Brah.......

Basically SMS should never release another game because they fucked it up* with PC1?

*Only to some extent, overall I think the game was a success, not only from a business point of view.

Fox Mulder

Brah.......

Maybe it'll do well on PC, but the Xbox has Forza 7 this year, presumably also built to show off Scorpio. The ps4 allegedly will finally get a fucking Gran Turismo.

Lol SMS. This should be releasing in the Spring like the last one.

Basically SMS should never release another game because they fucked it up* with PC1?

*Only to some extent, overall I think the game was a success, not only from a business point of view.

How you got to that conclusion from what I said is a mystery.

A simple, " We expect a crowded field, but feel our game will speak for itself." Would have been the correct response. Not "The compition should be worried about us." , that they put out. Many people were burned by PC1, so having some humility wouldn't hurt in trying to win some support back.

fresquito

How you got to that conclusion from what I said is a mystery.

A simple, " We expect a crowded field, but feel our game will speak for itself." Would have been the correct response. Not "The compition should be worried about us." , that they put out. Many people were burned by PC1, so having some humility wouldn't hurt in trying to win some support back.
Maybe I'm reading too much in your post and maybe you are reading too much in that response from Ian Bell. This is typical irish sense of humor in a QA session with fans.

Mascot

Circuit of Wales accidentally confirmed by a sharp-eyed forumite over on the official forums..?

general-circuit-of-wales-project-2015-an-aerial-view-of-the-circuit-of-wales.jpg

oc-admina_orig.png

wales-jpg.111732

http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/circuit-of-wales-submits-new-funding-proposal-872192/

op_ivy

Perhaps ill bust out pvars for this surprise day off. Havent played since my career was tboned by the pit with no tires bug.

EBreda

Can't wait to experience this with Scorpio.
Last time I got it on the xB instead of the Ps4 even though it was the worst port of the two, only because I have the TX wheel.

Finally I'll be able to play a good version with the (imo) required wheel.

terrible

Banned
Or is it the other way around?

Or are PD and SMS both separately following the same trend?

The plot thins...

Even if they had inside info on what pCARS 2 was doing I'd be shocked if PD did anything whatsoever as a reaction to what others are doing, or at least this quickly. How long did it take them to acknowledge that their engine sounds were trash?!

fresquito

Circuit of Wales accidentally confirmed by a sharp-eyed forumite over on the official forums..?
Probably reading too much from placeholder images. Could be a confirmation, though.
Even if they had inside info on what pCARS 2 was doing I'd be shocked if PD did anything whatsoever as a reaction to what others are doing, or at least this quickly. How long did it take them to acknowledge that their engine sounds were trash?!
For what is worth, all this stuff was in the documents we were given back in July 2014 and has been one of the most requested, if not the most, features ever since PC1 opened up for investors back in 2011..

terrible

Banned
For what is worth, all this stuff was in the documents we were given back in July 2014 and has been one of the most requested, if not the most, features ever since PC1 opened up for investors back in 2011..

Based on how quickly PD works I'd imagine they'll get that memo by 2019

Top Bottom