• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 |OT| Buggy Racing At The Four Seasons

Uiki

Oh, what a shame. (wink wink)

Clio or TC races were easy wins online because rarely you would see anyone dealing with the pronounced lift off oversteer of these cars. It required a 100% on throttle or 100% on brake attitude.

I´ll comment more after testing, i´m all for more realism, so if there was something to be fixed, that´s the way to go.

I did find the FF cars more forgiving than in Raceroom, so i don´t know if they fixed something or just made it easier due to complains.

I don't know if it's more realistic or not. It's just way more forgiving than before.

Ferrari 488 gt3: 85%, 60/40, abs 75%, that's the default stable. I tried with 94% pressure and 54/46, same results.

Audi r8 lms: 99%, 56/44, 75%.

Huracan gt3: 94%, 58/44, 75%

All set on authentic, not sure what changes between braking assist on low/high.

Since I couldn't stop the patch, I had to compare it to the only ABS data I had still in store from before the patch:
It's McLaren 650S GT3, all default / authentic assists (but default=loose setup and soft slick) running at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya GP, first braking zone:
pcars2abstestg5uvz.png
I don't know how much the tire temp plays into this, but the ABS frequency seems to be about the same, the amplitude is different: before it was -25% normal to +25% normal after it's -20% normal to +20% normal. But maybe this is due to the difference in temperature, slightly different wear, or that I braked slightly earlier with different road inclination, or was faster on the pedal or I didn't have it on "authentic", but on "high" or low. Either way, the ABS doesn't seem to be much different.

For the sake of comparison, this is ABS in Assetto Corsa on the same car and same track. First one is default ABS, second one is the least intrusive setting(edit: "least intrusive ABS preset on this car") with ABS still on, braked to a almost a full stop:

Uiki

Since I couldn't stop the patch, I had to compare it to the only ABS data I had still in store from before the patch:
It's McLaren 650S GT3, all default / authentic assists (but default=loose setup and soft slick) running at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya GP, first braking zone:

I don't know how much the tire temp plays into this, but the ABS frequency seems to be about the same, the amplitude is different: before it was -25% normal to +25% normal after it's -20% normal to +20% normal. But maybe this is due to the difference in temperature, slightly different wear, or that I braked slightly earlier with different road inclination, or was faster on the pedal or I didn't have it on "authentic", but on "high" or low. Either way, the ABS doesn't seem to be much different.

For the sake of comparison, this is ABS in Assetto Corsa on the same car and same track. First one is default ABS, second one is the least intrusive setting(edit: "least intrusive ABS preset on this car") with ABS still on, braked to a almost a full stop:

I'll try the mcclaren/barcelona as soon as i'm home.

fresquito

Which is funny because everyone starts at 1500. Quitting, getting disconnected or being kicked in the middle of a race gives a stiff penalty of -50.
Yeah, retiring to pits is -30 (hope that's been changed, although I'm not willing to test xD). That's why now I have 1485 (also I can't play all that much these days). I was aiming to get back to 1500, to start anew, but now my 1485 feel epic :-D

Edit: BTW, I've done a test lap at snowy nords with the Formula X. Going like an old lady, I'm one minute away from the 8mins achievement. I've had enough fun, so I think I will be pushing to get that done.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Yeah, retiring to pits is -30 (hope that's been changed, although I'm not willing to test xD). That's why now I have 1485 (also I can't play all that much these days). I was striving to get back to 1500, to start anew, but now my 1485 feel epic :-D
I was so hyped to get a high of 1554, but a few disconnects ruined that. It seems the most points you can get for a win is 7. Maybe you could get more but I don't know how ELO calculations work. It's a huge slog to recover points from one disconnect.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
sorry if this is a really stupid question but if I'm enjoying PC1 with a controller should i get PC2? i'm quite happy with PC1 but i really want more cars to use. Is PC2 any better or worse when using a controller? What kind of state is it in... i mean are there lots of bugs still to be worked out... any performance issues? i'm not a hardcore racing fan ... more casual. If i'm just running races around in free mode I'm happy. Not looking for anything serious but of course the more depth the better.

I only bought PC1 after 2 years at £6 because I was so unsure of it but I'm not buying Forza 7 this year, F1 is a disappointment, and GTS doesn't interest me so that only leaves PC2.

GHG

sorry if this is a really stupid question but if I'm enjoying PC1 with a controller should i get PC2? i'm quite happy with PC1 but i really want more cars to use. Is PC2 any better or worse when using a controller? What kind of state is it in... i mean are there lots of bugs still to be worked out... any performance issues? i'm not a hardcore racing fan ... more casual. If i'm just running races around in free mode I'm happy. Not looking for anything serious but of course the more depth the better.

I only bought PC1 after 2 years at £6 because I was so unsure of it but I'm not buying Forza 7 this year, F1 is a disappointment, and GTS doesn't interest me so that only leaves PC2.

Are you on PC?

If so go for it. I've not had any major issues with the game on PC since launch. Regarding the controller - I played for a couple of days with the controller over the weekend and it was perfectly manageable once you find the right settings that suit you. It's a lot better out of the box with a controller than PCars 1 was.

The Clio doesn't seem changed to me.
I tried it at Brno, reset setup to default before I had a go. Real weather set to current day, 1pm (clear, slick tires).

The vintage tires on the Lotus cars are still really easy, but so much better than before.
The tire squeal is a bit off now, but it's like 8 new cars for me that I can drive now.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Are you on PC?

If so go for it. I've not had any major issues with the game on PC since launch. Regarding the controller - I played for a couple of days with the controller over the weekend and it was perfectly manageable once you find the right settings that suit you. It's a lot better out of the box with a controller than PCars 1 was.

yeah i'm on PC sorry forgot to mention that! i'm using the default settings in PC1. haven't tweaked anything and i'm quite happy with it.

fresquito

I was so hyped to get a high of 1554, but a few disconnects ruined that. It seems the most points you can get for a win is 7. Maybe you could get more but I don't know how ELO calculations work. It's a huge slog to recover points from one disconnect.
No, you can get more. My only win gave me 15. I'm pretty sure you can get even more.

Uiki

The Clio doesn't seem changed to me.
I tried it at Brno, reset setup to default before I had a go. Real weather set to current day, 1pm (clear, slick tires).

The vintage tires on the Lotus cars are still really easy, but so much better than before.
The tire squeal is a bit off now, but it's like 8 new cars for me that I can drive now.

Then it's something they did to controllers.. it's way harder to slide when going into corners.

FrankCanada97

Are we ever going to have some GAF race lobbies set up or are we waiting for SMS to patch in the more comprehensive online championship/racing leagues?

Uiki

3825F721946056E224955AA4243AE6119665C212

Well.. something is different for sure. Yesterday i was doing 1:46 painfully, today 1:44 third lap on default stable. Maybe it's the controller? It's way easier to control.

edit: 1:43.400....

LostDonkey

Has the handling been improved any with the G920 on PC?

I abandoned the game since it was just first corner off after first corner off.

A thread would be good with wheel setup sharing, unless one already exists?

Me again...

Has the game improved on PS4 yet?

Desperately wanted to get this because I loved the first and this seems to expand on the original so much.

Worth a buy yet or still better to wait?

Bollocks

Lol they actually changed the last Formula Rookie race from ice to fog.
Drove a bit, wow this feels way more stable, I don't spin out any more when accelerating out of a corner.
Turns out the assists switched back to Full ._.

That Lotus Invitational is something else, even with assists on Full I could feel how slippery it is, almost accidentally made a pitstop because the car was so unstable and I kept swaying left and right lol.

Honestly I already wrote the game off. Game shipped with serious bugs and not even a single patch in 1 month. Ok GT Sports it is then. But that patch really redeemed the game, this feels like what the release should have been.
I legitimately think of skipping GT Sports for now. No sense in playing 2 racing games at the same time.

Lol they actually changed the last Formula Rookie race from ice to fog.
Drove a bit, wow this feels way more stable, I don't spin out any more when accelerating out of a corner.
Turns out the assists switched back to Full ._.

That Lotus Invitational is something else, even with assists on Full I could feel how slippery it is, almost accidentally made a pitstop because the car was so unstable and I kept swaying left and right lol.

Honestly I already wrote the game off. Game shipped with serious bugs and not even a single patch in 1 month. Ok GT Sports it is then. But that patch really redeemed the game, this feels like what the release should have been.
I legitimately think of skipping GT Sports for now. No sense in playing 2 racing games at the same time.

Are you PS4?

Has the handling been improved any with the G920 on PC?

I abandoned the game since it was just first corner off after first corner off.

A thread would be good with wheel setup sharing, unless one already exists?
I think you'd be alone in that thread. I read a few boards and you always find people who are not quite satisfied with the FFB or sensitivity, or who think it's good but it's possible to get it even better, but I don't know anyone with such extreme problems.
Are you sure you're understanding the calibration procedure correctly? And don't use the "immersive" FFB flavour, use the sensitivity settings at 50 for now (that will be linear). What car/track is it?

Edit: only issue a few people seem to have is their G920 turning all the way to the left as soon as they turn the wheel more than 180 degrees. That is not your issue, is it? This issue was supposed to be fixed in "the next patch" according to Ian Bell, which would be todays patch, but not usdates from the affected users.

terrible

Banned
I need 45 GB of free space to update the game and I can't play the game until I update it. This is some PS4 level shit. On Steam BTW. Guess I gotta just delete the game and redownload the whole fucking thing since I don't have an extra 45GB on my SSD.

FrankCanada97

I need 45 GB of free space to update the game and I can't play the game until I update it. This is some PS4 level shit. On Steam BTW. Guess I gotta just delete the game and redownload the whole fucking thing since I don't have an extra 45GB on my SSD.

Reminds me of my Payday 2 days.

How long are we going to hold the GAF Lambo Long Beach challenge? I'm going to try it out sometime this weekend, I love Long Beach.

Reminds me of my Payday 2 days.

How long are we going to hold the GAF Lambo Long Beach challenge? I'm going to try it out sometime this weekend, I love Long Beach.

Beware as the Diablo is one of the biggest pieces of turn in this game, it´s like the FFB wasn´t even coded.

It´s a strange car, i have no idea how one of our resident aliens made a 1.18.6 lap on it.

Takes a while to get used to it.

Haven´t tried the other GTO cars, hopefully the Diablo is just an exception and the others are good.

Mascot

Fuck that noise. I'd be in the same boat. Why so big?

Bollocks

Are you PS4?

yes, the new patch ironed out 2 of my main concerns, the on rails ai in bad weather and the qualifying bug. also they fixed some graphical glitches like the wheels spazzing out for a brief moment.
so now it actually feels like a complete game.
I can see myself playing all the modes, before, I just did time trials as the game shipped too early but now for me it is perfectly fine. I would say go for it.

Mascot

I read it's due to the unpacking and repacking of pCARS 2 .bff files but I'm not certain if that's actually correct.

It's crazy. I imagine there are a lot of people without a spare 50GB float on their pCARS drive, especially if it's installed on a relatively small SSD. It's probably easier to un/reinstall the whole game again.

danowat

Banned
tLDYxhC.png

Hotlap Challenge #2

Lamborghini Diablo GTR @ Long Beach

diablovoui2.gif

Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. If you'd like to do a video or whatever, great.

Have fun, and good luck!

----------------------
I found this combo to be a good mix of fun, charisma, and difficulty. A short lap in a surprisingly reasonably car. Hopefully it'll appeal to just about everyone, and encourage lots of laps. The car has a lot of understeer in it, so being patient is key. I'll be curious to see how much we can fix that, and what it will do to the lap times.

I'm the only person to have set a time with this combo, so let's fill it up with Gaffers.
----------------------

Leaderboard web page

"Time Trial" mode.

1. 1:18.699 - Big Takeover (video *I edited the wrong lap, but it's close enough) // PC, wheel, stick shift, authentic aids, default setup

1:23.38 for me, PS4, pad, stable setup, no assists.

In other news, looks like it's stopped crashing.....

ValfarHL

Ian Bell is such a peach.

nitrat said:
For me, rightly or wrongly, I REALLY enjoy detailed patch notes for games and will read it line by line and get all jiggly over the littlest of fixes. Some of which are for things I didn't even know needed patching.

So on behalf of those twisted people like I, can we please get more detailed patch notes in future?

Ian.Bell said:
There's a simple reason why the answer is no. In most patches we have a few 'fixes' and an absolute ton of 'improvements' and 'enhancements'. The longer the patch list is for said improvements, the more abuse we get about how many 'bugs' we needed to fix. So we'll keep the list short and allow people to enjoy the surprise additions, extras and improvements which we really enjoy adding for at least a year of the product's 'lifetime' last time out and I see this being no different.

More here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-log-Details&p=1392518&viewfull=1#post1392518

Edit: And thread is closed without answers from the devs. The ignorance from Bell pisses me off, but I already bought the game so I might just as well keep playing it.

Klocker

I honestly can understand him. Project CARS official forum is a cesspool.

Yeah he's a bit of an ass hat at times but he isn't wrong.

trying to explain all the things that they added when people are twisting their panties in a bunch over a list of things that are pissing them off, would just make it worse.

danowat

Banned
Anyone else have issues with (some) cars 'tracking' in the rain?

I did the invitational on Sugo in the snow in an R35, and it was a lot of fun driving it in low grip, obviously it's awd.....

So I next try the UK lightweight invitational in the Caterham in the rain, it's a great car in the dry, but I can't get it to drive in a straight line in the wet, it veers wildly from side to side, even under marginal acceleration with TC on.

yes, the new patch ironed out 2 of my main concerns, the on rails ai in bad weather and the qualifying bug. also they fixed some graphical glitches like the wheels spazzing out for a brief moment.
so now it actually feels like a complete game.
I can see myself playing all the modes, before, I just did time trials as the game shipped too early but now for me it is perfectly fine. I would say go for it.

Thanks, I've decided to get it so should be arriving this afternoon.

Truthfully, I just can't wait to set up a ridiculously long indy race on the ovals and enjoy some racing!

Any good set ups for the DS4 or are most happy with the default?

fresquito

Thanks, I've decided to get it so should be arriving this afternoon.

Truthfully, I just can't wait to set up a ridiculously long indy race on the ovals and enjoy some racing!

Any good set ups for the DS4 or are most happy with the default?
I would suggest you doing otherwise xD

Ovals don't have oval flagging, so a ridiculous long race is probably something you will not have (unless the AI behaves themselves, which I doubt they will).

On an unrelated not, I found this highly interesting thread about Differentials in the Offical Forum (it seems not everything is a cesspool).

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52783-Magic-inside!-Need-Help-With-Differentials

terrible

Banned
Fuck that noise. I'd be in the same boat. Why so big?

The good news for me is that I recently got upgraded to unlimited bandwidth so it will only cost me time instead of money to download 45GB whenever they update. I guess you just have to keep 45GB+ free at all times if you want to be able to play the game. That's tricky when you only have a 240GB SSD. I only keep a minimum of 30 GB of space as it is now.

Still, it did ruin my planned session last night. The two hours I would've played went into downloading the game instead.

Haha, waiting on the patch to install so thought I'd try out the vanilla game.

First race (whilst the install was occurring) and there's a car just chilling on its back as we round the first corner to start the race.

Lets see how this changes now...

Edit: Wow, much better performance post patch even in that example.

Framerate was horrible before.

Mascot

I've just been on the official forums after a lengthy hiatus to try to see what is/isn't fixed in the latest patch. People are reporting white flashes in VR. Anyone here experiencing similar? I can imagine that would not only be annoying, but also potentially harmful to your eyesight. I'd be playing exclusively in VR so this game is effectively dead to me until this is 100% fixed.

Also, I'd totally forgotten how annoying those same few defence force posters are. They literally CANNOT accept criticism of the current state of the game in any shape or form, no matter how justified it is. It's like they think SMS will offer them a job if they keep blindly defending the indefensible. It's truly cringeworthy.

terrible

Banned
WTF does ICM mean?

It's that little menu that allows you to adjust ABS and such on the fly I think.

I've just been on the official forums after a lengthy hiatus to try to see what is/isn't fixed in the latest patch. People are reporting white flashes in VR. Anyone here experiencing similar? I can imagine that would not only be annoying, but also potentially harmful to your eyesight. I'd be playing exclusively in VR so this game is effectively dead to me until this is 100% fixed.

Also, I'd totally forgotten how annoying those same few defence force posters are. They literally CANNOT accept criticism of the current state of the game in any shape or form, no matter how justified it is. It's like they think SMS will offer them a job if they keep blindly defending the indefensible. It's truly cringeworthy.

I'll edit this post with my experience when I play later today.

edit: no issues with VR at all after the patch. i also did some tweaking based on the suggestions here and now seem to be able to do night races in storms without dipping below 45 fps.

fresquito

WTF does ICM mean?
In Car Management. You can map it in the Controls menu. Gives you access to strategies and on the fly changes to the setup (brake bias, rolling bars, assists' strength, etc.). It's a bit hard to navigate while driving, but it is better than nothing.

danowat

Banned
In Car Management. You can map it in the Controls menu. Gives you access to strategies and on the fly changes to the setup (brake bias, rolling bars, assists' strength, etc.). It's a bit hard to navigate while driving, but it is better than nothing.
Huh, sounds like a good feature, I'll have to try and dig it out and map it to a control.

fresquito

Huh, sounds like a good feature, I'll have to try and dig it out and map it to a control.
If you are planning on using it, don't be me. I used it for the first time in a MP race when it started raining (I didn't know there would be a weather change) and was clueless about where to go. Mind, the menu is pretty basic, but doing it while driving in wet tarmac with slicks coupled with my terrible eyesight, certainly didn't help my cause.

Fun times

Edit: Dampers explained (link below).
Edit2: I would suggest adding these links to the OP. They are really helpful to understand some mechanical things. Could you, please GHG?

Differentials explained
Dampers explained

Top Bottom