• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 |OT| Buggy Racing At The Four Seasons

danowat

Banned
Danowat, have you tried tweaking the controller settings post patch yet?
I think I have been bitten by the over sensitivity issue now. The save wipe resets this right?
No,I won't touch them, it just causes problems, and yeah, save wipe resets to default.

Holy fucking shit, I just had the best online race in my entire life!
That's great! However it highlights a problem with the presentation of these quick races online - the mandatory pit stop system simply isn't clear enough. There doesn't appear to be a way of checking whether there is a mandatory pit stop once in the session, so if you don't pay attention in the lobby browser, it's really easy to be caught out by this. (The very first online race with a pit stop gave me an audio tip about mandatory pit stops, but that only happens the first time.)

So the weaving under power is tyre slip torque affect? , it's a bit of an issue using a pad, does it affect wheel users much?

Take the LaFerrari for instance, veers to the right, massively, under power, feels nothing like the AC version of the car when you drive them back to back.

Its even worse in the wet.
I just tried them, I think it's an exaggeration to say they feel nothing alike. They feel pretty similar in terms of overall performance and handling. I tried both with authentic assists and no assists, trying to match the track and tyre conditions as much as possible. It seems the assists in AC are better-calibrated, giving you more rear stability, but with no assists, they are both very keen to slide around, and I'd say it's the PC2 version that feels more stable - probably because just has more grip overall and a considerably sharper front end.

danowat

Banned
That's great! However it highlights a problem with the presentation of these quick races online - the mandatory pit stop system simply isn't clear enough. There doesn't appear to be a way of checking whether there is a mandatory pit stop once in the session, so if you don't pay attention in the lobby browser, it's really easy to be caught out by this. (The very first online race with a pit stop gave me an audio tip about mandatory pit stops, but that only happens the first time.)

I just tried them, I think it's an exaggeration to say they feel nothing alike. They feel pretty similar in terms of overall performance and handling. I tried both with authentic assists and no assists, trying to match the track and tyre conditions as much as possible. It seems the assists in AC are better-calibrated, giving you more rear stability, but with no assists, they are both very keen to slide around, and I'd say it's the PC2 version that feels more stable - probably because just has more grip overall and a considerably sharper front end.
Bizarre, feels the exact opposite to me, must be purely down to the way the pad works in each game.

fresquito

Doesn't the pit message appears on the right side? Or that was for the joker lap on RallyX.

In any case, yeah, conditions for the race should be accessible at all times.

Doesn't the pit message appears on the right side? Or that was for the joker lap on RallyX.

In any case, yeah, conditions for the race should be accessible at all times.
Yeah I thought that's how it worked (I'm pretty sure it did that in PC1), but I've been caught out by it before with no warnings. Perhaps I had the wrong HUD settings or something.

Any good video recommendations for PC2 on PC at max settings?

I just want to know what I can expect, I want to get at least one sim on PC and kind of between PC2 or AC mainly.

markao

Yeah I thought that's how it worked (I'm pretty sure it did that in PC1), but I've been caught out by it before with no warnings. Perhaps I had the wrong HUD settings or something.
I had a similar thing with a warning that never showed up in my EDIT HUD settings, so that would not surprise me.

I didn't noticed the new challenge so tried to get in one second with the other and finally managed only to see dominic also improving and I'm back to the starting point :p But I have had enough of the Lambo, cannot get the last sector down at all, so maybe tomorrow I have some time to give the new challenge a go.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
yF4uLzM.png

PC, gamepad, authentic assists on manual with auto-clutch and custom setup.

I increased the downforce, shortened the gearing and softened the suspension a little. This might be the best time I can pull out. I had a better 2nd sector from a previous run, but I'm not going to fret over a few hundredths.

Great videos GHG good share.

Really like the colours in the videos, looks very natural, will probably go for this game then. And yea track selection seems massive.

Don't even think Windows 7 has HDR support anyway so that won't matter if the game on PC doesn't haha. What a pain in the ass to install W7 on a NVME with a system that only has USB 3.0 btw XD

Bizarre, feels the exact opposite to me, must be purely down to the way the pad works in each game.

No, I agree with you Dan. The PC2 LaFerrari starts weavering in a straight line under power. The rear also rolls quite a lot when you try to keep it straight while flooring the throttle - even with TC on, because pCARS2 electronic aids are way inferior to Assetto Corsa's and Assetto Corsa's are already inferior to what actually is in a modern Ferrari.

But even without traction control, AC's just goes off, straight and no wheelspin when shifting into second gear: https://youtu.be/-ELWyGVRV9M?t=33s

The tire spin, might actually be more realistic in pCARS2, but why the torque steer?
This was at Monza, so the reason PC2's version steers when accelerating in a burnout should not be that the rear compesses unevenly and "bump steers" the car. It's either the tire model or the differential... I guess?

Edit:
I found the explanation
Assetto Corsa also models a traction control system that can't be turned off because it's build into the hybrid system - on top of the regular TC. It's called EF1-Trac F1. You can see it working looking at the dash in my video: The bar bent around the rev counter on the right side. You can also hear it. Sound reminds of that story that Ferrari had a hybrid traction control system that was not illegal but exploiting a hole in the regulations. This was never investigated further I think.

Edit2: Well, it only explains, why AC's is just going off without any wheelspin really, but not why pCARS2's wheelspin makes the car yaw that much.

I was wondering how the progression in this game works? I've been playing Forza 7 and I'm pretty new to racing, and I like how that game kinda eases you in with unlockable races/cars. I know what PC2 has all cars unlocked, so I was wondering what its equivalent of progression is? Or is it just a satisfaction of getting better at racing?

danowat

Banned
No, I agree with you Dan. The PC2 LaFerrari starts weavering in a straight line under power. The rear also rolls quite a lot when you try to keep it straight while flooring the throttle - even with TC on, because pCARS2 electronic aids are way inferior to Assetto Corsa's and Assetto Corsa's are already inferior to what actually is in a modern Ferrari.

But even without traction control, AC's just goes off, straight and no wheelspin when shifting into second gear: https://youtu.be/-ELWyGVRV9M?t=33s

The tire spin, might actually be more realistic in pCARS2, but why the torque steer?
This was at Monza, so the reason PC2's version steers when accelerating in a burnout should not be that the rear compesses unevenly and "bump steers" the car. It's either the tire model or the differential... I guess?

Edit:
I found the explanation
Assetto Corsa also models a traction control system that can't be turned off because it's build into the hybrid system - on top of the regular TC. It's called EF1-Trac F1. You can see it working looking at the dash in my video: The bar bent around the rev counter on the right side. You can also hear it. Sound reminds of that story that Ferrari had a hybrid traction control system that was not illegal but exploiting a hole in the regulations. This was never investigated further I think.

Edit2: Well, it only explains, why AC's is just going off without any wheelspin really, but not why pCARS2's wheelspin makes the car yaw that much.

Phew, at least I'm not going mad or imagining it!!!

I think that the yaw / torque effect is just way over done, especially in the wet, and especially when catching it, as highlighted in your video, is very difficult.

I've never driven anything as powerful as the car in question, but I have driven plenty of high powered road cars, and while they do tramp and yaw a little off the line, it's nowhere near as catastrophic as it is in PC2, the corvette zr1 is another horror in this respect.

danowat

Banned
I was wondering how the progression in this game works? I've been playing Forza 7 and I'm pretty new to racing, and I like how that game kinda eases you in with unlockable races/cars. I know what PC2 has all cars unlocked, so I was wondering what its equivalent of progression is? Or is it just a satisfaction of getting better at racing?
You start at the bottom and work your way up, unlocking invitationals and affinity drives as you go

mycareerpath_orig.jpg

I suspect PC2 is doing the same, or at least something to manage the brutal power delivery of the hypercars. 'Assists off' doesn't feel 'fully off' in either sim to me. There does seem to be a harsher kick of torque on every up-shift in PC2 - I reckon it could be that AC is simulating the LaF's dual clutch + 'torque fill' from the batteries more accurately, making each up-shift smoother.

Phew, at least I'm not going mad or imagining it!!!

I think that the yaw / torque effect is just way over done, especially in the wet, and especially when catching it, as highlighted in your video, is very difficult.

I've never driven anything as powerful as the car in question, but I have driven plenty of high powered road cars, and while they do tramp and yaw a little off the line, it's nowhere near as catastrophic as it is in PC2, the corvette zr1 is another horror in this respect.
The thing is, one could easily make a video showing the opposite of what is happening there, i.e. PC2 looking fairly stable during a burnout, and AC losing control. The LaF is very easy to catch in both sims - it's an incredibly forgiving car (perhaps the most forgiving, relative to its performance).

Malcolm9

Bought this today but I just can't get into after enjoying the GT Sport demo.

Some cars tend to veer off to the left at the start even when I'm easing off acceleration, and i can't seem to find a happy setting on the pad.

Visually it's decent but the gameplay just isn't for me unfortunately.

The thing is, one could easily make a video showing the opposite of what is happening there, i.e. PC2 looking fairly stable during a burnout, and AC losing control. The LaF is very easy to catch in both sims - it's an incredibly forgiving car (perhaps the most forgiving, relative to its performance).

I don't think you could, or if, then only with lots of quick changes in throttle application, not only by countersteering. In AC a RWD car with LSD has almost no torque steer if you're going straight on an even road surface. I assume pCARS2's LaFerrari differential starts distributing the power unevenly // doesn't lock strong enough, quickly enough // wheels spin at slightly different slip-ratio => not straight anymore.
The real LaFerrari has a computer adjusted differential - just goes straight in a complete burnout if you want it to.

-----
I got a 56.660 at Donnington now ( https://youtu.be/XaK4zG7rT7g ), but another Gaffer got me beat already again ;D
(had I just waited for the car to settle a little at the coppice corner, I'd still be first... but at least there is a 666 in my time this way)

Also @BigTakeover, you got Arucardo wrong at the Lambo challenge.

Edit: What the fuck happened wxith my video? I'm sure I cut it... Gonna re-upload again tomorrow.

Onemic

Maybe this is just because im using a controller, but it really feels like the entry level cars in career cant turn at all. Im currently in Ginetta GT5 and Ill have the driving line setup where it will go green during a turn and I think I can follow the line without having to break, but the car just cant turn that deep and I end up overshooting the turn by a ton and ending up in the grass. Only thing is if I then brake even when the line is green, I lose a ton of time and the AI opponents always end up overtaking me.

markao

-----
I got a 56.660 at Donnington now ( https://youtu.be/XaK4zG7rT7g ), but another Gaffer got me beat already again ;D
(had I just waited for the car to settle a little at the coppice corner, I'd still be first... but at least there is a 666 in my time this way)
Yeah i had a quick go before MoTD started. 56.140.

55 with default set-up in reach, if it wasn't for error/correction out of Coppice, it probably would have been close already.

Donington Nat - Formula Renault 3.5 - 56.140

Will be tomorrow, now time for DVR to start MotD, should have recorded enough to go quickly through Liv-ManU, do not want to that dross again ;)

Neo 007

Pity I haven't got a wheel for this on the X-One.
Even after the patch its a mess with the controller.
What the hell were they thinking?

Only hope now is to try and get it working with GIMX and my Accuforce.

I don't think you could, or if, then only with lots of quick changes in throttle application, not only by countersteering.
Challenge accepted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7APmwRP6q-8

Firstly I replicate your AC pull using PC2 leading to Parabolica. Flat throttle visible in the HUD. Then I increase the chances of losing control by doing the same pull but starting in neutral, essentially doing an unrealistic clutch kick for more wheelspin (avoiding the 'TC' effect of the dual clutch). Minor steering inputs, but otherwise no dramas.

Then I replicate your PC2 control losses using AC - at max grip (optimal track and Trofeo tyres). I tried to position the car in roughly the same places.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting your video is bogus, only that the difference between the two recreations of this car is small, and it is possible to create a video to reinforce different points. (If you were to show someone your video, they could get the impression that the LaF in PC2 is almost undriveable, whereas they could get the opposite impression if they saw mine.) The AC version is indeed generally more stable when doing these kind of launches, but it's not night and day.

58.339 - PC, Wheel, Authentic assists, upped rear downforce one notch through the race engineer.

My goal for this one was to break under a minute. When I finally did that I kept going a bit longer and was about to stop before I got a 59.020. Welp that's hard to ignore, gotta try and get 58 now. Tried for about an hour and a half not being able to beat it. Then one lap I actually matched that time PERFECTLY, 59.020.

Got frustrated by that and drove like a mad man my next lap just letting off steam. Braking way late turning too hard...wait, the car was able to take that turn? Next lap I went back into serious mode and turned the wheel a little harder than I normally do. Immediately set my current best time. Couldn't seem to match it again but suddenly I was consistently setting 58s almost every single lap. Turns out I may not be pushing cars quite as hard as I could be apparently

I'm still much slower than everyone else but I'm getting a bit closer at least.

Challenge accepted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7APmwRP6q-8

Firstly I replicate your AC pull using PC2 leading to Parabolica. Flat throttle visible in the HUD. Then I increase the chances of losing control by doing the same pull but starting in neutral, essentially doing an unrealistic clutch kick for more wheelspin (avoiding the 'TC' effect of the dual clutch). Minor steering inputs, but otherwise no dramas.

Then I replicate your PC2 control losses using AC - at max grip (optimal track and Trofeo tyres). I tried to position the car in roughly the same places.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting your video is bogus, only that the difference between the two recreations of this car is small, and it is possible to create a video to reinforce different points. (If you were to show someone your video, they could get the impression that the LaF in PC2 is almost undriveable, whereas they could get the opposite impression if they saw mine.) The AC version is indeed generally more stable when doing these kind of launches, but it's not night and day.
Damn!
I even checked if you cheated a little by upshifting later in PC2 than in AC (which I wouldn't even have done, if someone had made that video to prove an argument for one car like I did before, I probably would have believed it right away). I can see now that my video means jack. shit. :D
But after first hand experience, the difference is considerable enough that I would be really bad with PC2's version on a gamepad and mostly ok with AC's version.

Btw. I think that, with a wheel and some thunderfoot constraint, the PC2 version drives actually better than AC's because it doesn't understeer that much. My realism award would still go to AC though.

tLDYxhC.png

Hotlap Challenge #3

Formula Renault 3.5 @ Donington Park National

donr7oq9.gif

Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. If you'd like to do a video or whatever, great.

Have fun, and good luck!

----------------------
Granted I haven't driven even close to all the cars, but this FR 3.5 is the best car I've driven in the game thus far. When the FFB, and chassis and tire physics are all working in harmony, PC2 can deliver a car that stands toe-to-toe with any sim out there. Here's your proof.

The combo is a good match giving such an awesome feeling of increased downforce the higher the speeds get.

My lap was not the greatest with messy sectors 2 and 3, but unlike the last challenge, at least I'll have plenty room for improvement during the week!
----------------------

Leaderboard web page

"Time Trial" mode.

1. 0:55.720 - markao (video) // PC, no aids, default setup
2. 0:55.760- Betta Lines // no aids, default setup
3. 0:56.240 - seattle6418 // HEAVY setup changes
4. 0:56.359 - Big Takeover (video) // PC, wheel, no aids, default setup
5. 0:56.660 - TylerDurden4321 // PC, wheel, no aids, custom setup
6. 0:57.100 - FrankCanada97 (pic) // PC, gamepad, authentic assists on manual with auto-clutch and custom setup
7. 0:57.019 - Makikou
8. 0:57.921 - turtlesbonanza (Tails) // PC, wheel, authentic, custom setup stolen from The Pretty Fast Guy
9. 0:58.340 - Danowat // PS4, pad, TC, sc, abs, default stable setup
10. 0:58.060 - Uiki (pic) // PC - Gamepad, assists off, automatic clutch on, changed steering ratio and tyre pressure
11. 0:58.339 - ReDelicious // PC, Wheel, Authentic assists, upped rear downforce one notch through the race engineer
12. 0:58.559 - Dave_6 // PC, wheel, authentic assists, default setup
13. 1:00.459 - vacantseas // PC, controller, authentic aids
14. 1:05.958 - microtubule // PC, no aids, controller

----------------------
Feel free to participate and/or update your times from our previous challenges

Hotlap Challenge #1

Hotlap Challenge #2

Damn!
I even checked if you cheated a little by upshifting later in PC2 than in AC (which I wouldn't even have done, if someone had made that video to prove an argument for one car like I did before, I probably would have believed it right away). I can see now that my video means jack. shit. :D
But after first hand experience, the difference is considerable enough that I would be really bad with PC2's version on a gamepad and mostly ok with AC's version.

Btw. I think that, with a wheel and some thunderfoot constraint, the PC2 version drives actually better than AC's because it doesn't understeer that much. My realism award would still go to AC though.
Yes I can imagine that it translates to a much bigger difference with a gamepad. And I agree, AC seems to be managing the complexities of the hybrid system better than PC2, but damn that understeer is a pain when you switch between the two!

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
tLDYxhC.png

Hotlap Challenge #3

Formula Renault 3.5 @ Donington Park National

donr7oq9.gif

Run it however you'd like. All platforms/skill levels/aids/controllers are welcome. If you'd like to do a video or whatever, great.

Have fun, and good luck!

----------------------
Granted I haven't driven even close to all the cars, but this FR 3.5 is the best car I've driven in the game thus far. When the FFB, and chassis and tire physics are all working in harmony, PC2 can deliver a car that stands toe-to-toe with any sim out there. Here's your proof.

The combo is a good match giving such an awesome feeling of increased downforce the higher the speeds get.

My lap was not the greatest with messy sectors 2 and 3, but unlike the last challenge, at least I'll have plenty room for improvement during the week!
----------------------

Leaderboard web page

"Time Trial" mode.

1. 0:56.139 - markao (video) // PC, no aids, default setup
2. 0:56.339 - Betta Lines // PC. no aids, default setup
3. 0:56.660 - TylerDurden4321 // PC, wheel, no aids, custom setup
4. 0:57.280 - Big Takeover (video) // PC, wheel, no aids, default setup
5. 0:58.340 - Danowat // PS4, pad, TC, sc, abs, default stable setup
6. 0:58.060 - Uiki (pic) // PC - Gamepad, assists off, automatic clutch on, changed steering ratio and tyre pressure
7. 0:58.339 - ReDelicious // PC, Wheel, Authentic assists, upped rear downforce one notch through the race engineer
8. 0:58.559 - Dave_6 // PC, wheel, authentic assists, default setup
9. 0:58.939 - turtlesbonanza (Tails) // PC, wheel, authentic, custom setup stolen from #1
10. 1:00.459 - vacantseas // PC, controller, authentic aids
11. 1:05.958 - microtubule // PC, no aids, controller
You missed my time! Just a few posts above this one, post #1263.

I finally climbed back up to 1507 performance rating. An S safety rating seems really hard to get, I've been stuck at A for almost 2 weeks now.

Had time to have a go at the new combo, much, much better than the last one. I wanted to love the Lambo, but it just felt weird.

I didn´t liked the F3.5 at first, but at settling down on the brakes i really enjoy the car now.

Had a 56.240 if i recall, but i´m doing HEAVY setup changes, i think there´s a bit more to be had.

The car needs less downforce than you think, and also less air pressure than you think. If somebody loads my ghost the setup will probably be there as well.

In a day where most of the lobbies were awful and only GT3 going on the community events are a good way to spend your time.

The BMW one and the Oreca at Fuji are really good combos, you guys should try

Fredrik

Still doing the Bathurst time trial. Down to 2:21.308 now! ;P
Tried using race line this time and it's now clear that I'm missing in the downward part of the track, the line is green during that whole part the way I'm driving. Not giving up though! I want down to 2:15 before giving up!

Malcolm9

I'm not really enjoying this game compared to the first game, the driving feels really off despite tinkering with the settings. Even on normal tarmac races the road feel a slippery and I dont feel any satisfaction in the racing.

I really wanted to like it aswell.

fresquito

I'm not really enjoying this game compared to the first game, the driving feels really off despite tinkering with the settings. Even on normal tarmac races the road feel a slippery and I dont feel any satisfaction in the racing.

I really wanted to like it aswell.
That sounds really weird. I would love to see a video of you racing so I can judge what's the problem you're having.

Malcolm9

That sounds really weird. I would love to see a video of you racing so I can judge what's the problem you're having.

At the moment I'm playing with traction control on, but when I pull away at the start the car either veers left or right. I never had any of these problems in PCars 1. I just can't find a decent setting on a pad that feels right.

To be honest I played the GT demo quite a bit and I really enjoyed how it played, so maybe that spoiled me for this game??

fresquito

At the moment I'm playing with traction control on, but when I pull away at the start the car either veers left or right. I never had any of these problems in PCars 1. I just can't find a decent setting on a pad that feels right.

To be honest I played the GT demo quite a bit and I really enjoyed how it played, so maybe that spoiled me for this game??
Sounds like you are going way too hard on the throttle.

danowat

Banned
That's the exact issue we were discussing earlier.

Malcolm9

Sounds like you are going way too hard on the throttle.

Not really to be honest, as you can see others are having the same problem. I know how to use a throttle in games and it just doesn't make any sense unless I was going OTT with it.

Anyway I've taken it back for a refund and pre-ordered GT Sport.

GenericUser

I just played a nice online race in PC1. GT3 class, Laguna Seca, 6 Rounds. I was not too bad, finished the qualifying at 8th (out of 12) and then the race starts. My enemies immediatly crashed into me, spinning me around before I could even cross the start/finish line.

I said "well, the race is not over yet", so I continued. Pressed my way all the way up to 7th place and then the usual shit happened. Guy I just overtook slammed into me with full force, pushing me way off track, destroying all hopes for a decent finishing position. I immedialty stopped the game and deciced to shelve it for good.

Is the online component of PC2 SIGNIFICANTLY better of does this shit still happen all the time?

Not really to be honest, as you can see others are having the same problem. I know how to use a throttle in games and it just doesn't make any sense unless I was going OTT with it.

Anyway I've taken it back for a refund and pre-ordered GT Sport.

Without the additional 160hp hybrid power, the LaFerrari does about 790hp. When you get GT Sport, can you try a production car with similar power and put non-slicks on it(Sport Medium or Soft would be the equivalent), turn TC off and check how out it compares?
The Aston Martin One-77 (750hp) would be the closest thing in that game, I think I just saw there is a LaFerrari in GTS actually, I was just looking in the wrong homologation group.
Maybe report back, I'm curious what you think.

Malcolm9

Without the additional 160hp hybrid power, the LaFerrari does about 790hp. When you get GT Sport, can you try a production car with similar power and put non-slicks on it(Sport Medium or Soft would be the equivalent), turn TC off and check how out it compares?
The Aston Martin One-77 (750hp) would be the closest thing in that game, I think I just saw there is a LaFerrari in GTS actually, I was just looking in the wrong homologation group.
Maybe report back, I'm curious what you think.

Yeah sure no problem. I'll report back with how I get on.

Top Bottom