• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 Review thread

KdotIX

Wow. looking at some reviews and that AI video, I'm now wondering whether I should get a refund on my pre-order from Steam. Looks like this game needs a lot of patching. I kinda wish Ian Bell hadn't gone quiet on GTP because I would really like to know if this D1P fixes the majority of issues highlighted in these reviews. In fact - I would like some full on patch notes.

Inside sim racings verdict will be interesting. I doubt these casual gaming websites are really good at judging a racing sim.
Well I'm no professional driver, but I'm pretty sure a racing sim shouldn't look like this (unless every single driver on the grid is Pastor Maldonado lol):
That AI pile up lmao (this video)

kBb7JmK.png
WTF

Christ, I hope rallycross and ice racing haven't created too much of a distraction during development. I think I'd have preferred to have seen a more tightly-focused, highly polished and fully-resolved version of pCARS 1 than a game with new disciplines and loose surfaces, but the same old rough edges. Has the team stretched themselves a little thinly, perhaps? Or does pCARS 2 just need a couple more months of work to iron out the creases?

This is my worry and the only thing holding me back from the purchase button right now. PC1 came a long way with patches and repairs (not to mention way down in price) and given Eurogamer is my main review source, I think I'm ultimately going to end up waiting for the first few rounds of patches.

GHG

Wow. looking at some reviews and that AI video, I'm now wondering whether I should get a refund on my pre-order from Steam. Looks like this game needs a lot of patching. I kinda wish Ian Bell hadn't gone quiet on GTP because I would really like to know if this D1P fixes the majority of issues highlighted in these reviews. In fact - I would like some full on patch notes.

Why would you not just try it out and then refund it if you don't like what you see in the first few hours?

JamboGT

Do we know if the AI are using a different tyre model from the player again this time round?

I had watched some videos and it did look like occasionally there were examples of "wow, look at that AI grip" but it seemed better. Obviously impossible to tell till I try it myself.

bombshell

What's extra funny about the AI mayhem video from Gamersyde is that they have the AI set to 0 aggressiveness on a scale from 0 to 100.

GHG

It is interesting that with all the "it is buggy" talk in the reviews they are still giving the game 8s and 9s.

Because sometimes the overall experience can still be great even if there are a few bugs.

It depends on if you feel they effect your enjoyment of the game or not.

KdotIX

Why would you not just try it out and then refund it if you don't like what you see in the first few hours?

Steam only gives you a refund if: you're within 2 weeks of purchase or less than 2 hours played. I think I'm close to that 2 week limit. I guess if I'm close, I could refund it and then purchase it again to reset the clock so to speak.

It is interesting that with all the "it is buggy" talk in the reviews they are still giving the game 8s and 9s.

That's a good sign for me. I loved PCars 1, so I can deal with bugs, graphical glitches, etc. It's all about the racing and handling for me. Forza is extremely polished, but the racing/handling is really bad in comparison. As far as racing games go, I'll take the bugginess and better racing over the alternative.

Reviews will vary as the games quality will vary a lot depending on what you select to do and how sensible you are. You should find enough to like if you're into this genre.

I'm surprised to see the point to point tracks not get graphical updates. They were bonus tracks in the last game. They looked dated around 2012 when I was in the beta for PC1. Even Forza 4 on 360, rock textures and environments are much better.

From what I noticed, it's track dependent. I mentioned in my review that I had issues with the AI, but I never experienced issues like what is being shown here. I had a few pile-ups, but if you look at some of my videos, I had a rather decent racing experience.

coiler

From what I noticed, it's track dependent. I mentioned in my review that I had issues with the AI, but I never experienced issues like what is being shown here. I had a few pile-ups, but if you look at some of my videos, I had a rather decent racing experience.

What are you playing on?

Reviews will vary as the games quality will vary a lot depending on what you select to do and how sensible you are.

I'm surprised to see the point to point tracks not get graphical updates. They were bonus tracks in the last game. They looked dated around 2012 when I was in the beta for PC1. Even Forza 4 on 360, rock textures and environments are much better.

Yea, that azure track is ugly and the highway one is very unoptimized. Still, better to keep it in without updating it than ditching it completely like Assetto Corsa did with Trento Bendone on console (or did they release that later? I forgot).

vermadas

Need some VR impressions. Only thing I saw so far was this blurb on IGN:
There are some hitches, however – on console I’ve had the occasional instance where the game will hiccup and drop an isolated slab of frames, and there are a few loose ends with the VR support on PC, with the default helmet cam triggering a fever dream of barf-inducing double vision. Thankfully this doesn’t happen with the conventional cockpit view, and the VR experience is otherwise terrific (albeit sphincter-scorchingly expensive) once you switch to it.
"Sphincter-scorchingly" is so cringe.

Branson

Looking forward to that unbiased PRC review.

But on a serious note I am probably going to wait to see how a couple of the general Sim Racing YouTube channels think about it before making any purchasing decisions. Mainstream outlets are a bit hit or miss on what lines up with a good racing sim.

magawolaz

Are online championships in?
tbh I can't find many details about multiplayer as a whole, are servers not up yet? Not enough reviewers to judge the new matchmaking system?

So far I read Eurogamer, RPS, MP, PCgamesN, godisageek's reviews.

Mascot

It's 11pm in Singapore right now. Man needs his beauty sleep.

danowat

Banned
Speaks volumes for just how great the core gameplay is, I guess.

Yeah, you've got to be impressed with the core when you read this.

For all the ways this sequel builds on that foundation though, the original still has a one thing going for it: the bugs have been stamped out. At the time of writing, Project Cars 2 freezes at launch with will-sapping regularity, and less frequently seems to change wheel configuration properties at will, so that horrendous understeer might pop in midway through an opening lap on fresh tires, or force feedback might disappear. Elsewhere, hitting ‘skip to end' during a practice or qualifying session will invariably see all AI drivers find four seconds of pace as they log a new lap—even if there isn't time to actually drive an outlap then set a new time. Controller issues cropped up only a handful of times during 20 hours' play, but you could set your watch by that qualification glitch. Assuming these glitches get stitches, to use the urban parlance, Project Cars 2 nonetheless sets a sim racing benchmark for those brave enough to go assist-free and play on the game's own terms.

And then the game goes on to get 89/100

Standards changed. Nowadays, broken launches like PC1, Friday The 13th, AC: Unity, Battlefield 4, Master Chief Collection, etc. set a standard. Nowadays it's almost a bonus point that a game works as intended, it's almost a given it'll be fully playable in 6 to 12 months. PC1 was really stiff on controller and had awful framerate on X1 with a lot of cars but if they fix those things I gladly pick up PC2: but yeah, I can wait a couple months if the bugs are plenty.

joecanada

Since this is the review thread I guess it's time to ask if they had profit sharing for funders again? Or was it completely different than 1

thelastword

Banned
That Ai in the gamersyde video ;(....The purple car refused to pass even when it was clear on his side, the yellow car took quite a while too. That pileup was hilarious though...

I won't beat them too much on that, but the graphical bugs in this is pretty bad. Those glitching shadows are the worse I've seen in any game. The shimmering and aliasing is also pretty distracting....I'm watching some pro footage at Gamersyde and why don't these guys use some TAA?....Why not checkerboarded 2160p?

As far as perf goes, it's better than the first one, but that's PRO footage, the question is, how does PS4 and XB1 fare? The tearing however is pretty persistent even on the PRO footage I'm watching.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Since this is the review thread I guess it's time to ask if they had profit sharing for funders again? Or was it completely different than 1

No, and it was not written clearly when they opened the founding for the second game on their same own WMD platform !

I paid two years ago and now I can't get a refund because it looks like I had to ask for it within 14 days after "buying" it, even if the game was not released...
I guess I'll have to contact some French user associations to get my refund.

(I bought it believing it was like the first game and I would get some profit back, as they "sold" it the exact same way as the first, but did not clearly state it was not funding. And as I know I won't play this game much, I almost did not touch the first one in years, I want a refund.)

Their "About WMD" page is just not the truth http://www.wmdportal.com/about/

Gestault

For all the ways this sequel builds on that foundation though, the original still has a one thing going for it: the bugs have been stamped out. At the time of writing, Project Cars 2 freezes at launch with will-sapping regularity, and less frequently seems to change wheel configuration properties at will, so that horrendous understeer might pop in midway through an opening lap on fresh tires, or force feedback might disappear. Elsewhere, hitting ‘skip to end’ during a practice or qualifying session will invariably see all AI drivers find four seconds of pace as they log a new lap—even if there isn’t time to actually drive an outlap then set a new time. Controller issues cropped up only a handful of times during 20 hours’ play, but you could set your watch by that qualification glitch. Assuming these glitches get stitches, to use the urban parlance, Project Cars 2 nonetheless sets a sim racing benchmark for those brave enough to go assist-free and play on the game’s own terms.

I think someone willing to write and score a review with such overt "optimism" (in the sense of assigning credit before it's earned) is probably not a useful perspective for me. I don't mean I need a review to say "this game is trash," but withhold a conclusion if you're confident the game will be improved with time. Their own description doesn't warrant this conclusion. I can't help but see low standards and a total indifference to the experience of real-world players in this, when it comes to the recommendation.

GHG

Where can I get some PC 4k / max settings direct feed? I'm watching some Gamersyde videos and I still can't believe how ugly this looks.

https://youtu.be/VDT2ScWv3Mg

https://youtu.be/_YpZQNISNOU

Good, I’m in. What’s GAF getting, PS4? PC?

Quite a few of us in the preview thread are PC.

For a game like this I'd always reccomended PC if your rig can handle it due to the fact that you will have all the options open to you if you decide to get a wheel (if you don't already have one).

But on a serious note I am probably going to wait to see how a couple of the general Sim Racing YouTube channels think about it before making any purchasing decisions. Mainstream outlets are a bit hit or miss on what lines up with a good racing sim.

Can you link some of these?

You'd think isrtv and teamvvv would've had their reviews ready to go. Those are the two I really car about with this game. Kind of bummed to hear the console versions are a big downgrade, but I'll be going 1X so that is only a temporary concern.

Mascot

No, and it was not written clearly when they opened the founding for the second game on their same own WMD platform !

I paid two years ago and now I can't get a refund because it looks like I had to ask for it within 14 days after "buying" it, even if the game was not released...
I guess I'll have to contact some French user associations to get my refund.

(I bought it believing it was like the first game and I would get some profit back, as they "sold" it the exact same way as the first, but did not clearly state it was not funding. And as I know I won't play this game much, I almost did not touch the first one in years, I want a refund.)

Their "About WMD" page is just not the truth http://www.wmdportal.com/about/

That's the WMD page for the first game though, isn't it? WMD2 for pCARS 2 was a different thing entirely, I thought?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
That's the WMD page for the first game though, isn't it? WMD2 for pCARS 2 was a different thing entirely, I thought?

From what I understand, WMD is a crowdfunding platform (created by SMS), both games were founded on this platform, but for the second one they decided to not make founders get some profit back at all.

It was not clearly stated on the purchase page, it was only written in the terms of use of the PCARS 2 founding, which are different from the WMD "classic" terms. So people like me just put some money on it because we thought we could get some money back just like PCARS 1.

Search for "Inside Sim Racing" or "Empty Box" or "Jimmy Broadbent" or "Team VVV" or "The Simpit" on YouTube. Just a few off of the top of my head.

GamerMuscle is also well known and Sim Racing Paddock is moving up.

Inside Sim Racing and Team VVV make the most professional content, but imo Empty Box has the most knowledge about sim racing and racing in general, he's also the fastest out of all of those (not saying that everyone who's fast actually knows his shit or the other way around).

He liked Project CARS 1 at first (not really as a sim, but as something between Forza and a simulator), then, about 2 months after release, he became really really annoyed by the ai and half a year later he made a video why he wouldn't stream pCARS1 ever again "it's a win-win for everyone". 3 weeks ago he made a video about why he's not hyped in the absolute slightest about pCARS2. Only in the comments he said he'll give the game a fair shot once it's out.

Top Bottom