• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Blizzard

Banned
wiggleb0t said:
Tempted.. If someone could please answer a few questions that would be most appreciated.

1.What is crossfire support/performance like for ATI users? I have a 5970 & 5870 and would be gutted if this didn't work with crossfire.
2. I plan to use a xbxo360 controller, is this ok?
3. What is the rough ETA on when the full title would be released?
4. Have any replay videos been released?
5. Is a demo available to try before taking a dive?

1. I don't know for sure, but it sounds like SLI/crossfire support may not be very good so far. At least one person was complaining about stuttering with a 4890x2.
2. I use one, and it rumbles and works ok, and there are multiple mappings and you can tune the settings. However, it's a driving simulator so a lot of the work is with steering wheels and force feedback in mind, I believe.
3. I think there's a year or so left but I really don't know if it's even decided at the moment.
4. There should be lots of demos on youtube, and some linked from this thread as well.
5. There is no demo, so the cheapest way to try it is the junior member level (10 euros)

Blizzard

Banned
I finally gave the latest build a shot. With the 360 controller:

* The kart seems more drivable.
* The new courses are promising, though California one is so flat it is nearly impossible to see where the road is gong.
* I am not sure what to think of the steering. I -felt- able to take turns much better on Connecticut Hill, but my overall time was pretty much the same. It feels like you very rarely go into spins if you're on the road now, but you can go into a slide-spin thing really quickly if you're drifting/sliding and steer improperly. It's hard to describe. It seems like you can slide and drift to some degree now, at least.

yeah, its a lot easier to catch the rear when it starts slipping now. spa is looking great, but it does reveal some flaws in the formulab car. on turning especially. thats pretty much all Ive tried in this latest build so far. formulab and spa.

edit: oh wait, right. I did try the gumpert apollo some. seems really nice. supergrip with this car. nice weight difference to the other cars Ive been using.

forgot the dtm has new physics now, will test this later. from the gumpert it seems like its a lot better to really take a lot of kerb on imola.

markao

Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, its a lot easier to catch the rear when it starts slipping now. spa is looking great, but it does reveal some flaws in the formulab car. on turning especially. thats pretty much all Ive tried in this latest build so far. formulab and spa.

edit: oh wait, right. I did try the gumpert apollo some. seems really nice. supergrip with this car. nice weight difference to the other cars Ive been using.

forgot the dtm has new physics now, will test this later. from the gumpert it seems like its a lot better to really take a lot of kerb on imola.
Gumpert has no physics done yet, its a place holder with insane amounts of grip (more than the Audi LMP car ;)).

I think only both Audi's (Asanos) and the Atom were done in time to be included in the latest build, not sure about the FormulaB.

markao

Friday again and new build (096) available for members+

Quick try in Gumpert, feels better, more powerful streetcar and old Lotus, similar to previous build tire changes on Asanos, slides are more predictable.

Only thing I have to get used to for a while is the second (CARS_FFB) exe not included anymore and that was the one I was proffering :(

fresquito

Build Release Notes

Build 92 (14/11/11)
Minor lighting and emap position tweaks for Bathurst, Connecticut, Connecticut, and Bologna
Tweaked the bottom-end frequencies of the engine sounds for the Kart, Leonus F86, and Formula B
New physics checked in for the Leonus F86
Some small fixes on the Gumpert Apollo S

Build 93 (15/11/11)
Disabled speed and impact shake effects for now to get feedback
Tweaked logic for setting spawn location on change race mode
Gumpert Apollo S: Changed exhausts (approval request)
Gumpert Apollo S: Improved tyre mesh and UVs (all LODs)
New set of initial physics - Gumpert Apollo S
New tyre for Gumpert Apollo S
Three LODs checked-in for Ariel Atom
New export of Belgian Forest Circuit, Gumpert Apollo S, and Asano LM11 TDX

Build 94 (16/11/11)
Workaround for shared-depth stencil having wrong MSAA format
Added off-track detection code and HUD messages for when the player invalidates the current lap time by going off-track
Off-track in sector 3 also marks next lap time as invalid to ensure the end and start of a new lap is clean
More than 2 wheels off legal ground types will trigger detection along with a distance from waypoint check
The information is displayed once per lap regardless of number of off-track detections
Invalidated lap times are not recorded in the profile nor submitted to the server
Rules and textDB modified to support new off-track warnings

Build 95 (17/11/11)
WIP Leaderboards page now in, along with a number of other visual improvements and a new font
Added WIP AIW for California Raceway (can now race with AI)
Various bug fixes

Build 96 (18/11/11)
Gumpert Apollo S: Improved tyres, added cockpit display, 1st pass on CPIT meshes
Personal and world best times per car now displayed in the loading screen
Disappearing text bug in the GUI now fixed
Build renamed to Project CARS
Tweaks for lighting at Bathurst
Time Trial mode added
New exports of California Raceway, Belgium Forrest, and Test Track
New export of the Gumpert Apollo S

iUqWihhfpn8yF.jpg

Three Caterhams Join Project CARS

Following the first batch of licensed cars that were revealed two weeks ago, Slightly Mad Studios is excited to announce the addition of another three fully-licensed cars to the lineup of their Project CARS title.

Caterham Classic
The Classic is Caterham's base model, giving drivers access to a powerful driving machine for an affordable price. The car is powered by a Rover 1.4 litre K-Series engine, putting out 105bhp. Due to its low weight of just 525 kilos, the Classic accelerates from 0-60 mph in just 6.5 seconds, reaching speeds of up to 110 mph. The car features a 5-speed gearbox, alloy wheels, a De Dion rear suspension and adjustable double wishbones with anti roll bar.

Caterham R500 Superlight
For those who are seeking an even bigger thrill, the R500 Superlight offers improved performance by being even lighter and more powerful. Stripped to the bare essentials, the R500 Superlight weighs just 506 kilos despite being much more powerful than the Classic model. The car is powered by a 2-litre Ford Duratec engine and its 263bhp allow a sprint from 0-60 mph in just 2.88 seconds. Using a 6-speed gearbox and a limited slip differential, the R500 Superlight reaches speeds of up to 150 mph.

Caterham SP/300.R
Unlike the other two models, the brand new SP/300.R is not based on the Lotus Seven but an all-new development made in cooperation with race car builder Lola Cars Ltd. The SP/300.R is an all-out performance prototype for track days & racing competition. Powered by a supercharged 2-litre Ford Duratec engine providing 305bhp, the car sprints from 0-60 mph in just 2.5 seconds, topping out at 170 mph. The SP/300.R is packed with racing technology, including a double-wishbone suspension with pushrod dampers, a sequential 6-speed gearbox with a paddle shift unit, air jacks and AP performance brakes.

I was finally able to have a go at CARS at a decent framerate with my wheel.

Very difficult to get any kind of control when the rear gets loose - the pedals seem laggy, so I can't control slides on the throttle.

This could be making the physics seem more shite than they really are... but even if I had a responsive throttle, every car seems far too snappy at the moment.

Seems too much like Shift tbh.

These updates are adding so much. I've not downloaded one in weeks, but I'm going to have to soon to get to grips with all of the changes/new additions.

This was a good investment, I think.

Blizzard

Banned
I was finally able to have a go at CARS at a decent framerate with my wheel.

Very difficult to get any kind of control when the rear gets loose - the pedals seem laggy, so I can't control slides on the throttle.

This could be making the physics seem more shite than they really are... but even if I had a responsive throttle, every car seems far too snappy at the moment.

Seems too much like Shift tbh.
Did you try build 96 or an earlier build? Also, which car were you driving? If I recall correctly some were nicer to control than others.

I think at least one person was complaining that physics are not as good anymore in build 96, but I haven't installed it yet. Hopefully it gets straightened out.

scitek

If I wanted to pay for the lowest level of membership just to try it out, could I upgrade to the next tier later on and just pay the difference, or would I have to pay the full amount?

markao

It is still early days and a lot is probably going to change to the physics (as it feels a little to quick), but I really like the Gumpert Apollo S. Curious how it will turn out, but there is something fun about fast production cars, that you do not get with high downforce (race)cars, at least modern ;)

markao

New build (101) available for team+ members, with two new KART tracks and some other updates

Kart track (Chesterfield) looks like fun, but it is still kind of hard to realy test it with current kart physics and < 45 KM/h bug. But if they get it right, can see the early stage of the carreer mode with karts being fun.

Kart - Chesterfield (video)

pcars2011-11-2600-24-ez6qo.png

Blizzard

Banned
It doesn't sound like physics or FFB were changed this week, but think I saw that the racecar driver had tried a newer version. Unfortunately I've been a bit out of the loop this week.

How is the Bologna track looking?

markao

It doesn't sound like physics or FFB were changed this week, but think I saw that the racecar driver had tried a newer version. Unfortunately I've been a bit out of the loop this week.

How is the Bologna track looking?
They added the modern version of Variante Alta (chicane), which slows you down a lot more.

FFB has and I don't think it will not change, until they have altered their "treading priorities" in the render engine. So most reported changes are either due to small physics alterations or imaginary ;)

fresquito

Build Release Notes

Build 97 (21/11/11)
Removed the time and number of opponents option for hotlap
Chestefield Kart track checked in
Added tabbing in the log in screen
New export of Belgian Forest track

Build 98 (22/11/11)
Replace sector 3 next lap invalidator rule with lap fraction ranging from .80 to .85
Time Trial HUD now displays the personal best lap and the world record for the current driven car
Tyre and brake pre-heating configured by game mode and spawn location
New trees at Bathurst
New livery for Asano X4
New export of Chesterfield

Build 99 (23/11/11)
Updated error info for failed shaders
Added back some kerb fix when ridng kerbs (for the pull in which causes the cars to spin)
Added AI grip to increase AI speed, now approx 2 seconds a lap faster
Summerton added to tracklist, 0 AI for now due to AIW being WIP
Updated Bologna for new chicane, also editied the cut tracks for accuracy

Build 100 (24/11/11)
Fixed record and best lap detail disappearing from the HUD after in-game pause
Added pit lane path, 16 pit spots and 16 start spots total to Summerton
New Bologna, Bologna Reverse, Connecticut Hill (all variants), and Summerton exports
New Fence Textures at Connecticut Hill
Fixed the set up crash bug

Build 101 (25/11/11)
Checked in the Gumpert Apollo interior, exterior, and AI engine sets
New Belgium Forrest export
Various bug fixes

We now have two new karting tracks: Chesterfield and Summerton
iJoaXCDbhlPnm.jpg

Arucardo

Finally put down the 25e for this, but sadly I can only try this out with a gamepad for now. My Fanatec is at my apartment with my G25's pedals so I've got a wheel and shifter with no pedals (keep my gaming pc's and such at my parent's house). Can't wait to give this a proper go in a week or two.

Blizzard

Banned
Nice shots!

The 106 Update

This build adds the Caterham Superlight R500 and it's available to all membership levels.

iyldy1igjd8e9x8eu4.jpg

Build Release Notes

Build 102 (28/11/11)
Leaderboard GUI is now functional. Friends button ignored until we add social features. Find Me button support code still to come
Leaderboard screen update. Added all applinks, replaced scrollbar with 'programmer art' navigation buttons
Added CPIT meshes, AO, and LODA Interior to the Gumpert Apollo S
Exposure adjusted and fog decreased at Bathurst
New Bathurst export

Build 103 (29/11/11)
DX9 tree fixing work
Reinstated speed and collision shakes
Fixed leaderboards GUI vehicle class navigation (crash, duplicates, and other weirdness)
Detect when the player car is involved in a collision and do not submit lap record; also, do not submit lap record when AI control of the player vehicle has been active during a lap
Leaderboard "Find Me" button now hooked up and locates the player within the leaderboard. When found, automatically displays the player entry
Improvements to SETUP, InGameMenu, and Loading screens now support Panel interface, multiple other improvements to every other screen
More work on the cockpit for the Gumpert Apollo S
Changed location from Arizona to Summerton in Records
New TextDB entries for lap invalidation
More trees and exposures adjusted at Bathurst
ESC functionality returned to MainMenu
Records tidied up a little more in the loading screen
New Belgium Forest export

Build 104 (30/11/11)
Disable Close Contact Avoidance when in pit-lane
Redid main path of California Raceway
Fixed spring setting typo in Left front (setting didn't match right front)
Gumpert Apollo S - LODA interior mapping + textures WIP 1
DX9 fixed foliage shader to work correctly with alpha coverage
Removed the "2010" from the track variation - seen in the Leaderboards
New exports of California Raceway, And all Connecticut Hill variants

Build 105 (1/12/11)
Caterham R500 added to vehicle list
Caterham R500: LODA interior. All mapped and textured
Caterham R500: suspension skeleton finished. LODC tires. Fixed little issues to allow a basic first export
Caterham R500: UV tweaks, added missing bolts/rivets, added CPIT meshes, Mirror/display UV mapping
Caterham R500: reduced idle throttle so stalling is possible. More aggressive engine braking so it doesn't hang at high rpm in neutral
Version control added for tracks and vehicles. The server can now instruct the client to purge itself of specific stat records (eg. when a track layout changes or vehicle physics are updated)
Don't extend the life of a previously cached stat when subsequently accessed (fixes leaderboards not updating on the client when browsing continuously during the leaderboard stat life)
Send track and vehicle asset versions to the server. Must match expected values for stats to be accepted
DX11 fixed incorrect type (FLOAT not FLOAT as an INT!) of MipMapLodBias
Fix MSAA interpolant for FOV
More trees added at Bathurst
New exports of Bologna and Connecticut Hill

Build 106 (2/12/11)
Eurogamer Hotlap Challenge introduced to the build
Remembers the last selected leaderboard GUI menu filter (don't default back to track select)
Fix to discover the bottom of the leaderboard is the 0th row when no times have yet been registered
Light contact events no longer triggers lap invalidation
Fix for the tuning slots GUI save button
Restrict AI liveries to race only and randomly pick player livery if not running a hosted event
Adding EG specific livery as option value 99 and set it in events GUI handler
Remove back page history after saving a vehicle setup to correct the Back button flow
NVIDIA SLI Fixes. These changes remove all remaining interframe dependencies - the end result being that it is no longer necessary to rename the executable
The change also provides a 4% speedup for DX11 regardless of SLI. (The mipmap generation was generating all face mips per face instead of only individual face mips)
Caterham R500: fixed ambient shadow position, fixed exhaust position
Caterham R500: changed joint setup to avoid bugs in CPIT view
Caterham R500: camera settings tweaked
Caterham R500: separate Eurogamer livery added
Gumpert Apollo S: new placeholder liveries
Gumpert Apollo S: interior textures are all new
Ariel Atom - LODA interior mapping and texturing WIP 1
Fuel consumption enabled for Time Trial events
Tweaks for Eurogamer release (exhaust, surface)
Layout fix for Back button in setup screen
Events page tidied up with new countdown timers
Added astroturf to material IDs and cut track legal test
Ariel Atom 3 LODa\b\c + CPIT added
Event leaderboard now has 8 items
Fix for crash when selecting FXAAEvents page countdown timers added

Blizzard

Banned
Too bad the kart starts behaving weird at low speeds, because it feels quite decent at higher speeds.
I actually got a physics developer PM response about this, apparently within the last few days:

"Everything is a work in progress still, especially the Kart as it a bit of a special case. I've been swamped with other projects ATM so not gotten back to the Kart. My appologies We plan some code changes to help, but it won't be soon. Thanks."

Kyaw

The Caterham is super touchy! NO DOWNFORCE!

I like it though, you have to constantly correct oversteer and watch your acceleration.

Got 1.21.9xx or something close to that in the Eurogamer event.
Quite far off the world record! :p

markao

Just back from long Holiday weekend and looking forward testing the Caterham, discussion about it are wild and in both directions, so should be at least challenging.

Also updated the "member list" in the OP, if anything is missing wrong, let me know ;)

Are there any performance tweaks? Or any setup recommendations? I get a decent framerate overall, but sometimes the framerate dips below 40 and it's pretty annoying. Playing on i7 920 + 6950 2GB.

I'm a Team Member as well btw.

Blizzard

Banned
Are there any performance tweaks? Or any setup recommendations? I get a decent framerate overall, but sometimes the framerate dips below 40 and it's pretty annoying. Playing on i7 920 + 6950 2GB.

I'm a Team Member as well btw.
Try playing in DX9 mode. You obviously have a very nice system, but have you tried also turning one or two settings down?

My understanding is that optimization has not really happened thus far, and DX11 tends to have more bugs. If you want, I can try to dig up in the forums where a user (mclaren777?) has been recording their own semi-benchmarks to keep track of performance as the versions are updated.

markao

Added both to the list

@ ctw0e, besides the lack of optimisation, Martin (PC lead) also mentioned that right now AMD DX11 is running at far worse frame-rates then the nVidia cards(DX11). I think he is still working with AMD on finding reason/solution, so right now DX9 might be the better choice. (if DX11 set reflections at high, or shadows one lower, biggest FPS gain for me)

mclaren777

I just wanted to thank markao, fresquito, and Blizzard for posting such great content over the past couple months. ;)

Anyway, SMS decided to change some aspects of the Caterham for the Eurogamer competition so everybody should patch pCARS up to Build 108 if they want to have a valid lap time.

Build Release Notes

Build 107 (5/12/11)
Remove cached stats connected to assets that are no longer available
Client fix for not displaying correct maintenance message during controlled outages
Fuel consumption enabled in practice and race sessions

Build 108 (5/12/11)
Stability fixes for the leaderboards and events screens
Caterham R500: rebaked rear tires and bodywork with fenders removed
Caterham R500: New damper ranges and other setup changes to improve handling
Caterham R500: New default setup
Caterham R500: Tyre grip improvements
Added LODA details to gearbox on the Atom

mclaren777

If you want, I can try to dig up in the forums where a user (mclaren777?) has been recording their own semi-benchmarks to keep track of performance as the versions are updated.

Yep, that was me.

ioDS9aDc7fGUv.png

Setup: Audi R18, nose camera, Imola, AI-controlled

Method: open FRAPS, launch the game, ensure proper settings, quit the game, launch the game, let AI drive two laps to store environment data in memory/buffer, then start recording at the exact same point

Resolution: 1920x1080
Anti-Aliasing: Normal
Texture Filtering: 8x
Motion Blur: Off
Reflections: Medium
Shadows: Medium
Track Detail: High
Car Detail: High
Textures: High

Hardware: Intel 2600K, Nvidia GTX 460, W7 Ultimate

markao

Anyone knows if there are plans to make it open source later on or to the shareholders at least?
Are you talking about giving away their engine code, my guess is big no. If you are talking about the ability to MOD and add/create additional content, then it would be that they are still looking ad it. I guess it depends a lot on their final monetising concept (disc/F2P), but they are not straight against the idea (they started out as modding group ;) )

any news or updates on their rally mode?
From Ian's latest comments, "we only do it if we can bring something better than RBR", "full justice" comment", my guess is it will not be part of the first content, but maybe added later (depending how things (sold) go-->DLC)

markao

Had a go at the Eurogamer hotlap stuff and had to take a quick screenshot of my brief moment of glory, as it it probably not going to last very long :p

pcars_eurogamerhjkzk.png

And the Ariel Atom Mugen looks like a beast, cannot wait to give this car a go.

(click for full res.)

ps: And welcome back McLaren and don't get yourself banned again ;)

mclaren777

Build Release Notes

Build 109 (7/12/11)
Ariel Atom 3 - LODA interior mapping and texturing
Ariel Atom 3 - Minor mesh tweaks and smoothing done
New Bathurst export

Build 110 (8/12/11)
Fixed some problems with loading and saving setups (incorrect value ranges for vehicles)
Autoload correct setup when entering tuning screens where one is available
Fixed problem where two Caterhams could appear in the Quick Race vehicle selection menu
Correctly unload physics participant when leaving the tuning screens via the mouse controller
Added default TAB button hooks to controllers and vehicle set for lap info cycling (not yet active)
Fixed a bug with stat jobs being inappropriately canceled
Replaced tuning menu exit button event with applink
Store and retrieve sector times on the server

Build 111 (9/12/11)
Fixed a missing mem file/line call on PC
Increased MAX_SUPPORTED_BONES to 72 on 360
Run the new Predevice reset msg handler in the renderer's FreeDefaultPoolResources call
Changed installer's logic when detecting older installs of the game (can install multiple versions now)

Orgun

Has there been any mention on their forums of what stage the multiplayer development is at? Soon as this even gets 1 vs 1 P2P multiplayer i'll be on this! :)

markao

Has there been any mention on their forums of what stage the multiplayer development is at? Soon as this even gets 1 vs 1 P2P multiplayer i'll be on this! :)

I think it was mentioned it would take a while, so you will at least have to wait until next year ;)

Orgun

I think it was mentioned it would take a while, so you will at least have to wait until next year ;)

Oh well, I can fit in plenty of F1 2011 between now and then. In the meantime I shall drool at the screenshots and videos you guys post.

mclaren777

Here's the short-term plan...

Andy Garton said:
For the next few weeks up until Christmas we will continue the design input phase as well as working on core essential tech. The game design document will then be updated and agreed on by everyone, followed by a detailed schedule. By mid-February or so we should be fully started on the main implementation phase which will follow the design document and schedule closely.

Up until that time our core tech and art focus will be on the following, to give you an idea of what to expect from upcoming builds:
1. Continued work on physics and handling
2. New input system to eliminate lag
3. Dynamic environment system (time of day and weather)
4. Comprehensive leaderboard system
5. New cars and tracks
6. Continued work on making the GUI more usable
7. Minor features/options suggested by members which have a low cost
8. Ongoing bug fixing (focused on major issues only)

Nice to see they have their priorities in order. The physics and lag of the last build I tried (86) are not even competitive with console sims, let alone PC ones.

Jibbed

The helmets on the kart screens look a little... big? Maybe it's just me, but it looks pretty silly the way it is at the moment.

Blizzard

Banned
Thinking about getting this game for &#8364;10. Is it any fun with a gamepad?
I play it with a wired 360 controller exclusively and it's fun enough for me, but I haven't played the most recent builds. It's not an arcade sim though, so you may not want to get it for a pad unless you like painstakingly learning how to keep your car on the track. :^P

rossonero

I play it with a wired 360 controller exclusively and it's fun enough for me, but I haven't played the most recent builds. It's not an arcade sim though, so you may not want to get it for a pad unless you like painstakingly learning how to keep your car on the track. :^P

Ah that sounds like Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix-series mixed with the earlier TOCA-games, which I loved :D Will get this game later tonight then.

markao

The helmets on the kart screens look a little... big? Maybe it's just me, but it looks pretty silly the way it is at the moment.
Driver models all all placeholders, so would not be bothered by it right now, although I have to confess, in the older cars they look even sillier ;)

I'll give it a shot.

WMD: Arc07 (Team Member)
Thanks (for wmd name) and added it to the OP and also added two Caterham shots from Darkdeus.

Top Bottom