• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Blizzard

Banned
Signs point to Bathurst being an in-progress track. I looked it up on youtube and it looks fun with the downhill portion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4XVF3jJL5Q

*edit*
These aren't related, but these are a couple of cool shots from the free camera mode that's supposed to come in build 78. (shrunken so they're bullshots, but still)

cars_1yop7.jpg

cars2kqps.jpg

As always, these are early work-in-progress shots.

Blizzard

Banned
Eh, as long as they don't rush multiplayer so that it's robust when it gets here that's good.

For anyone who is curious, I just tried a bunch of laps with the wired 360 controller, and it's -fun-...though of course not at all viable. I'm convinced I should be able to get under 1:45 on the hill course, but I always mess up somewhere. I turned the difficulty up to hard, everything off other than the locked-on auto things that are presumably because I have a controller rather than a wheel.

I felt like I was learning things though. It's definitely not one of those racing games where you hop the car, drift around corners, and use the turbo boost to power out. Braking and slowing down for corners seem important. If anyone has any tips for making the very first turn to the right on the hill course, that would be appreciated. I always go to the left on what's presumably a pit lane, unless I slow way down.

Blizzard said:
Eh, as long as they don't rush multiplayer so that it's robust when it gets here that's good.
Oh I agree, but if they just put it so you could have a few people on a P2P connection racing it would make the wait much easier! I've reached the point where racing games for me are really an online thing.

fresquito

Here's a proposal for a re-skin of the UI...

GOAL

To create an HD interface that promotes easy navigation for mice and is aimed primarily at a no-nonsense sim audience.

THE CONCEPT

This proposal borrows heavily from the Windows 8 'tile' interface for a number of reasons...
- Easily expandable (ie, if new features come online they simply get added as new tiles)
- Size of each tile corresponds to importance (ie, the features you use more are bigger than those you use sparingly)
- Easily allows for multiple media types (photos, video, text, or iconography) to be combined without being limited to just one
- Each screen can be bespoke to its purpose rather than having to fit within an established style/size formation
- Brings an attractive quality to otherwise dry content (eg, sliders and statistics)
- Works great in high resolutions (more space means more tiles onscreen)
- Is a modern and proven interface method
- Can easily be achieved in the GUI Tool
- Tiles can be used against any background
- Tiles can overlap each other
- Easy-to-use with mouse navigation
- Compartmentalizes content
- No need for scrolling or scroll bars

EXAMPLES

Main Menu is comprised of a number of areas...

Top Row - Exit, My Profile, Current Car
Left Column - Miscellaneous for now, but would likely contain Upgrades/Setup/Customization
Right Column - Various game modes

As more features go into the game, this page would simply add more tiles for Career, Online, Community, etc.

iQcVJ8mLZpYWQ.png

In this example the current menu of sliders gets broken down into attractive tiles for each specific area. Typical options for going Back, Undo-ing, and Saving become more prominent and ergonomic to use.

ibtMxqVwVGdRsl.png

Click to participate in the discussion

Also:

Project Perks Announcement

Kyaw

Bungieware said:
So do you get the game in the end if you're a team member?

Yes. Plus some profit if the game sells a certain amount of copies.

I really do love the new UI design proposal.
Also the level of detail on the cars are really good, if you are a member, you guys should look at the car models development process.

Kyaw said:
Yes. Plus some profit if the game sells a certain amount of copies.

I really do love the new UI design proposal.
Also the level of detail on the cars are really good, if you are a member, you guys should look at the car models development process.

Awesome! Will definitely sign up now.

fresquito

How's input lag for you? I'm using DFGT and I get massive input lag (not only driving, also when I look to the side or mirror view). There's like half a second lag. I'm using DFGT. Anybody with the same problem? In WMD forums some people with DFGT have input lag, others don't :-/

so this game will be on consoles as well?

(or at least that's the plan for now) Kind of surprised to read that. from everything I was expecting this to be some crazy niche pc sim racer.

This whole idea seems really awesome.

Not sure who will publish this on consoles since I dont think SMS could do it them self but its good to see a developer try something different.

Hope it works out for them.

Kyaw

fresquito said:
How's input lag for you? I'm using DFGT and I get massive input lag (not only driving, also when I look to the side or mirror view). There's like half a second lag. I'm using DFGT. Anybody with the same problem? In WMD forums some people with DFGT have input lag, others don't :-/

What wheel settings are you using?

Blizzard

Banned
fresquito said:
What FPS are you getting? (checking with something like fraps)

If you're getting 50-60 fps and you still have half-second lag, can you try starting the game with no controller or wheel plugged in, mapping a keyboard key to say, throttle, and using the telemetry screen to check how long it takes for the telemetry to respond to the keypress?

Blizzard

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Imagine using that UI with a controller. As far as usability goes, it's exactly the same...
I think it's a bit jumbled too, with no text and different-sized icons. I like words!

fresquito

Blizzard said:
What FPS are you getting? (checking with something like fraps)

If you're getting 50-60 fps and you still have half-second lag, can you try starting the game with no controller or wheel plugged in, mapping a keyboard key to say, throttle, and using the telemetry screen to check how long it takes for the telemetry to respond to the keypress?
It turns out it's fps related. I lowered some settings and now I get rock solid 60fps. Lag aparently gone. For mirror view and side view it can be a bit too slow still, but it works much better now. BTW, before I was in the 40s

Blizzard

Banned
fresquito said:
It turns out it's fps related. I lowered some settings and now I get rock solid 60fps. Lag aparently gone. For mirror view and side view it can be a bit too slow still, but it works much better now.
I had the exact same thing. I couldn't get my fps over like, 40 with everything turned down, DX9 or DX11, but I finally closed everything, ran at 1280x800 windowed, and finally got a reasonable 50-60 fps. There didn't seem to be bad lag at that framerate, and it's pretty playable. Plus it allows me to turn stuff on medium.

We should probably still report it as fps-related just in case they're not aware of it, though.

fresquito

The release schedule is going to change starting this week, though I think we will still get a new build on Monday.

Junior - first Friday build of each month (full build)
Team Member - Friday build of each week (full build)
Senior - Friday build of each week (full build)
Manager - Friday (full build) and Tuesday (patch) of each week
Senior Manager - Friday (full build) and Monday-Thursday (patch) builds of each week

Blizzard

Banned
fresquito said:
The release schedule is going to change starting this week, though I think we will still get a new build on Monday.

Junior - first Friday build of each month (full build)
Team Member - Friday build of each week (full build)
Senior - Friday build of each week (full build)
Manager - Friday (full build) and Tuesday (patch) of each week
Senior Manager - Friday (full build) and Monday-Thursday (patch) builds of each week
Excellent. I saw where people were discussing that, and it makes sense. Most of the people supporting the project presumably have jobs and have the most time to test and give feedback over the weekend, and then the actual game team can develop during the week.

Also, today is hopefully KART DAY (and free camera) though I can't check until late tonight. Any other interesting patch notes?

Lucius86

Banned
Downloading the latest build now.

Build 78 (24/10/11, Team Member+)
Toned down heat haze
Added a few more options to visuals menu
Added gamepad filtering option
Added cloudy weather selection to race menu
Fix for DX9 windscreen corruption bug
Fix for groundcover crash
Updated Glencairn track
Updated Racer car
Improved lighting settings for most tracks
Fixes to car setup menu (still lots of bugs)
Change audio balance to bring out more wind noise
Version number added to UI
Various UI fixes and improvements
Updated kart
Fixed direction of driver head lean in corners
Enabled fuel consumption and tyre wear
Added free camera (Ctrl-F then the mouse and WASD, SHIFT keys)

jlevel13

Initially I was skeptical as I felt both NFS Shifts were let-downs (mostly in the wheel feel / handling), but it seems like this time they're getting the handling right? I'll probably buy in soon (bit too busy right now). Would be interested to hear some kart impressions. Also have they said anything about mod tools eventually being made available?

Blizzard

Banned
jlevel13 said:
Initially I was skeptical as I felt both NFS Shifts were let-downs (mostly in the wheel feel / handling), but it seems like this time they're getting the handling right? I'll probably buy in soon (bit too busy right now). Would be interested to hear some kart impressions. Also have they said anything about mod tools eventually being made available?
There's at least one 10-page discussion, though I hven't read all the details: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...lly-serious-modding-be-allowed&highlight=mods

The studio head said:
We are discussing it chaps. There's so many ramifications to consider. I am 100% behind modding, this is where we started ourselves. It's also massive added value for a title. The main issue we have is keeping the physics hack free to allow solid online racing like for like but there are others. I'll get back with the results or our initial discussion in a day or two.
I don't see a followup so I just asked about it now.

jlevel13 said:
don't think they even tried to get the handling "right" in shift games, they are completely different. karts aren't really playable yet. there's a problem with low speed.. something.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally tried the new build for a bit. The kart is fun to play around in, and the lighting looks nice, but the full throttle sound is annoying. I don't know how to drive a kart so I can't speak as to whether the physics are right. I suspect it's a work in progress.

I tried the DX11 and found a few bugs I need to report, like a crash, problems with the kart flipping crazily on collisions, and one amusing bug where free camera view + AI control results in a driverless cart racing around the course.

I really like how the lighting looks, even with my low resolution and mostly medium settings. Here are a couple of random shots from the DX11 build:

cars2011-10-2501-38-542fnr.jpg

cars2011-10-2501-30-27hcpu.jpg

Also, since I'm the first to post times, you all have to beat my amazing lap record of 1:10.444 with a kart!

Blizzard

Banned
One last shot for the night. Now, this is going to be an ugly picture, but I swear this map looks good in motion with cloudy lighting and the sky glow, even though it's surreal (and doesn't seem to show up in screenshots). I suspect if I wanted to take clear shots while driving I would need to turn off motion blur.

cars2011-10-2502-10-15juw0.jpg

The Nuke car is pretty neat, and I like the reflections in the hood. You seem to be able to throw it into drifts around corners, something I never really did with other cars without spinning out.

One last note that I like about the game...even if they don't end up supporting modding, there are a LOT of configurable options for various settings. Lots of controls, vehicle tweaks, some visual tweaks, etc. and I think this latest build may have added new ones.

AcridMeat

Banned
The lighting really does look great in those shots. I'll eventually get in on this, too busy with other crap
and league of legends addiction

Blizzard

Banned
Here's something I thought was really cool: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?823-Aussie_Hill/page5

The work in progress on Bathurst apparently may include some guy/people who live nearby actually going out to take measurements/GPS data/reference photographs so the game team can make textures and develop the track. I don't know if this is going to be a substitute for eventual licensing of it, or just in addition to it, but it's neat to see community involvement potentially helping out.

*edit* A bit more info: If I understand correctly, Nordschleife, Bathurst and Spa Francorchamps are in progress. Or at least, maps "inspired" by those tracks are in progress until the licensing etc. goes through.

If you want more tracks, they just put up a new poll for people to vote for their favorite tracks, even if you already voted: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?944-Vote-for-your-favorite-track!-V3

If anyone actually knows details on those tracks, and which ones might be the most fun, let us know in this thread so we can throw some weight around. :D

markao

Blizzard said:
The results so far in the latest track poll (http://forum.wmdportal.com/poll.php?pollid=26&do=showresults) show people wanting Le Mans the most, followed by the generic "historical tracks", and then Suzuka, Monza, Monaco, and the Top Gear test track.

I voted Monaco since it looks like a city-based track, and it'd be interesting to see what they do.
In see you have not played Shift 2 (Riviera) ;)

I'm not to bothered by which track, as previous "SMS" games always had a great track selection. It would be nice though, to maybe once have a poll, without the (famous) tracks used in most other/earlier games.

fresquito

A comparison of the AA in C.A.R.S.
ibjbTfm0axaW9X.png

A comparison of the HDR in C.A.R.S.
iLa6LbMW0wWUa.png

A comparison of the PP in C.A.R.S.
inYjDN7Zz6icY.png

Build Release Notes

Build 79 (25/10/11)
Improved the lift-off oversteer
Option to turn off cockpit mirrors
Fixed issue of 'reset' button still being active during the steering/pedals calibration process
Fixed right front suspension geometry for LEONUS F68 CROMWELL V8
Telemetry screen layout change
Added engine mesh for the RACER V8-RS
New Aussie Hill export

Build 80 (26/10/11)
New exports of Bologna and Connecticut Hill
New track layouts: Bologna Reverse, Connecticut Hill Reverse, Connecticut Hill Short Reverse, Glencairn Reverse, Glencairn East Reverse, Glencairn West Reverse
New export of Asano X4
Removed slip audio effects at low speed
Fix for shadow mapping 'black edge around car' bug
Added grip points to debug physics screens
Some bug fixes and performance improvements for RenderContext setting in DX11
Fix to enable loading of WDF files on the F1 debug menu from the 'lighting edits' directory within my_documents/cars/
Formula B: multi-part chassis collision for more accurate shape
Fixed names of the Leonus cars to match the forum
Improved carbon shader
Improved Fresnel paint

Build 81 (28/10/11)
DX11 HDRControl updated to match optimised bloom threshold and downsampling shader
"Texture Filtering" option was being ignored by DX11 renderer - now fixed
Fixes for WDF lighting menu to allow extra entries to load/save
Added various HUD tacho variations (Nuke 3 and Kart)
More exhaust smoke for the Kart
Fixed Kart AI volume and increased the rev limit to 18000 RPM
Fixed ambient shadow width and tweaked gear stick movement (Nuke 3)
Changed default livery for LEONUS F68 CROMWELL V8
New Racer V8 RS and L4-RS exports
Upped LOD distance for calipers (Nuke 3)
Completed reverse AIW for Connecticut Hill Reverse, and Connecticut Hill Short Reverse
Temporary AIW for Bologne Reverse with basic path and 32 start spots
Added track groups to save on build sizes and also organised both track lists in alphabetical order
Changed loading screen music

And here's a sneak peek of the Aussie Hill/Bathurst track that we'll be getting in tomorrow's build. It's obviously far from being done, but it already shows great promise.

ihIeuJqZaMhr1.jpg

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I've gotta be honest, participating in the development of a game from pre-alpha to release is exactly the community experience I've been longing for since being into the mod scene of HL and UT2k3. I haven't felt it since being a big Red Orchestra fan back in... 2005?

The progression and improvement over time with you being a participant. This does it professionally, I feel like I'm on the precipice of something really important. I know I'm probably not, but it feels that way.

I dunno, it gets me nostalgic. And the game is great.

sneaky77

Shanadeus said:
Seems kinda shady imho.
What happens if they just take all your money and abandon the project?

For $25 you're getting weekly builds, even if they abandon after a yr, which is doubtful if it has made it this far, you still got more than yourmoney worth of entertainment lol

Blizzard

Banned
sneaky77 said:
For $25 you're getting weekly builds, even if they abandon after a yr, which is doubtful if it has made it this far, you still got more than yourmoney worth of entertainment lol
Just to nitpick for anyone who hasn't joined yet, it's either 10 euros or 25 euros, right? So it's more like $36 USD to be a team member. But yeah, given the history of this team and the progress so far, hopefully it won't be abandoned.

sneaky77

Blizzard said:
Just to nitpick for anyone who hasn't joined yet, it's either 10 euros or 25 euros, right? So it's more like $36 USD to be a team member. But yeah, given the history of this team and the progress so far, hopefully it won't be abandoned.

True.. sorry. Either way a weekly build for 36 bucks is a good deal

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
sneaky77 said:
True.. sorry. Either way a weekly build for 36 bucks is a good deal
Yeah, it gives that sensation of being a part of something, which is unique these days. Those old FPS-mods, and such things, that used to be so entertaining have fallen off in the last few years. I don't want to reiterate too much, but it really is something you don't come across often these days.

So, yeah, I am loving this so far.

edit: I posted this drunk, so don't judge me too harshly if it reads stupid.

I do love the model for this though.

btw, I'm a Team Member.

supersaw

I'm really hoping this will take off, signed up today after seeing posts in the PC Racing Sim thread.

Really impressed with what's there thus far, it seems like this project is pretty well organised so chances of success should be pretty good.

The cockpit detail and shaders are gorgeous.

Kyaw

The Aussie Hill track or Mount Panorama is going to be nice.

Also that Caterham WIP on their forums is looking NICE.
Shame i can't post the WIP renders on here.

Watevaman

Been playing a bit of this, you can add me to the Junior section. Debating whether to upgrade to the Team Member section as I'm not sure if I want to wait a month if tracks/cars come out.

Blizzard

Banned
supersaw said:
I'm really hoping this will take off, signed up today after seeing posts in the PC Racing Sim thread.

Really impressed with what's there thus far, it seems like this project is pretty well organised so chances of success should be pretty good.

The cockpit detail and shaders are gorgeous.
Welcome aboard! If you'd like to share your member level to add to the list in the OP, feel free. It was up to like 540 euros last I checked, over halfway to the goal. :)

Looks like build 81 is out now, though the Bathurst track is JUST the track hovering in air as far as I can tell from pictures, no scenery yet. Also this may not be the latest export of the track. It sounds like there will be a more refined width etc. export next week for the track.

There are also reports of improved DX9 and DX11 performance, and possibly fixed DX11 SLI for anyone who uses that. If anyone else gets improved performance I'd like to hear about it!

I'm still waiting on actual physics dev feedback, but I got at least one reply from one of the dev team mentioning that the karts are missing dynamic chassis flex, so that's at least part of the physics model that's left to do.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried the new build. In that car with the little antenna on the hood, I managed to just BARELY get under 1:45 on the Connecticut Hill track! This is a great accomplishment for me.

My latest theory in my effort to teach myself to drive is that to take corners, you must tap the brakes a couple of times, really hard, and then do the turn. I feel like there are probably a bunch of noob lessons I need to learn. For instance, I'm driving with most everything super pro hardcore except for automatic gearshifting. To drive courses quickly, do you need to be really good with manual gearshifting?

Top Bottom