• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Watevaman

Got a 1:50.610, but I'm not sure if you're going by if the game counts it or what:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDiLeiqCkQ

At 0:26, I'm sure two wheels went off, but at least 2 stayed on the kerbs/track, so it's up to you guys if you count it.

I'm going to try again tomorrow to get at least a 1:49.5. I was using a 360 controller for this one and I want to try my wheel.

mclaren777

So I've just tried out the Palmer Jaguar JP-LM at Florence GP

I'm not sure if I like the car very much. It doesn't really have a great sense of speed and MAN does the back end kick out at you if you're not careful. Over the course of the time I spent with it I learned you had to be really careful with the throttle otherwise you were just going to lose it. I kept trying to put the power down too soon and spinning.

I love the sound of that. In fact, I'm tempted to go over to my friend's house to try the latest build.

Does anyone like the Jin Ding circuit? It's not clicking with me.

It's a track that I love racing on (against AI or MP) but I'm not too sure I would enjoy it for lapping sessions. Do all of the new tracks support AI competitors?

Yeah, it sucks that some people aren't on the same build :( Trouble is we need to be on the same build because so much changes between them, and the easiest way to do that is to stick with the weekly one.

It might make more sense to do a monthly build for each new Junior release.

Blizzard

Banned
Got a 1:50.610, but I'm not sure if you're going by if the game counts it or what:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDiLeiqCkQ

At 0:26, I'm sure two wheels went off, but at least 2 stayed on the kerbs/track, so it's up to you guys if you count it.

I'm going to try again tomorrow to get at least a 1:49.5. I was using a 360 controller for this one and I want to try my wheel.
Thanks a lot for this and the other video posted earlier -- I was using a 360 controller too, and I figured that's why I'm doing so horrible, but if you can get under 2 minutes with it, I want to try to learn to drive a bit better since I still don't have a wheel. =P

Are you using manual shifting or any assists with the 360 controller?

Z47HSl.jpg

Watevaman

Thanks a lot for this and the other video posted earlier -- I was using a 360 controller too, and I figured that's why I'm doing so horrible, but if you can get under 2 minutes with it, I want to try to learn to drive a bit better since I still don't have a wheel. =P

Are you using manual shifting or any assists with the 360 controller?

Manual shifting (classic config), no assists. I wouldn't really trust my vid for any lessons in how to get fast, though, as my lines are very poor and I was being overly aggressive in many areas. If you want to be fast, you're already on the right track by practicing. I've been playing racing games since I was a kid so most of the fundamentals are there, but they definitely didn't come fast.

I find that pCARS is one of the few games where ABS off isn't like a terrible insta-lock situation. In GT5 I can't seem to gather when the wheels are about to lock, but pCARS is very lenient in this regard and gives a lot of feedback when you're locked.

^^^^^

Just beat you by 30 miliseconds :p

Yw4sT.png

Still need to stop making mistakes on some corners, I can definitely get to 1:48s, maybe 1:47s.

1:46s seem impossible to me though.

1:48.101

I might be able to touch 47, but I'm getting close to maxing myself out using the stock setup.

Throwing in a little friendly competition has certainly raised my appreciation for the physics. I'm finally understanding it a bit better. At least on these DTM cars, it's a pretty fun handling model.

BOOM. 1:48.260 on Youtube.

I could maybe get a tenth or two off it but I'm not going to try anymore. My pride feels fine now, haha. I found it MUCH easier to drive with that camera - cockpit looks cool but it's harder to judge the corners! This whole thing has taught me a lot about the handling model I have to say.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
Foliorum Viridum - 1:48.260
Three60 - 1:48.490
Kyaw - 1:48.367
Blizzard
Metalmurphy - 1:49.161
bee - 1:48.958
paskowitz
Big Takeover - 1:48.101
Whateverman - 1:49.190

Some very good times here, chaps. This is a nice little competition :) I definitely say we keep this going every week. More people need to post vids though!

Edit: Goddamn it, Big Takeover, I was typing this before you posted! I never got to taste that top spot! Great time, though,

Noob question - what's the deal with replays? Are they even available in TT mode, or are you frapsing your whole session, and editing afterwards?

Watevaman

Noob question - what's the deal with replays? Are they even available in TT mode, or are you frapsing your whole session, and editing afterwards?

I'm just FRAPsing for now. Every so often it'll chug (I guess when it's making a new file), and that lap is usually thrown out the window.

I'm just FRAPsing for now. Every so often it'll chug (I guess when it's making a new file), and that lap is usually thrown out the window.

It's too bad there doesn't appear to be an ini hack to extend that 30 second replay. No biggie. I'll see if I can capture something worth watching.

markao

so i'm trying this new build and it seems much improved honestly, its still got a slight feeling of disconnection between your input and the cars but its definitely better. are there any known settings for g25 wheels to change? any settings to change for load cells?

running all settings as default in game, except i had to remap the pedals as i use a bodnar cable. i use these settings in logitech profiler

bee, I don't know if you found an answer yet on the other forum, but right now there is nothing special included in the game for loadcell brake pedals. I do remember Andy talking about proper support for it later on, but for now you could try to play with the brake sensitivity settings (as in make them non linear, not 50%).

Other setting are as they should, just make sure when there is a new build you delete your CARS folder (in .../documents, or at least the .sav file) and go trough the process of "mapping buttons/pedals, calibrate wheel/pedals and changing settings in the main "controller menu" to your liking.

Watevaman

Are you guys faster in cockpit than the other cameras?

I usually do the roof cam for time trials, as I feel it gives me a better feeling of where I'm putting the car. Especially in the Asano, where the "realistic" location would have you hitting the broad side of a barn.

Polyphony

You guys are really tempting me to upgrade my toolpack...! Is there a definitive setting for the DFGT? I've scoured the forums and there seem to be a plethora of settings for the wheel.

Blizzard

Banned
I know it doesn't matter for our own times, but does anyone know if the leaderboard is based on a specific CARS build? I assume that certain builds have better theoretically possible times than others.

Polyphony

I think they might be reset every build, or every odd build. I know that I had a few times up on the board when I first joined, and they are now gone from my profile when I log onto the leaderboard. So the times do get wiped, not sure when though.

Edit: reading Rob Prange's post from the official forum, it seems that leaderboards are reset for cars that have updated physics in every build.

fresquito

I've given my first few laps to the Florence circuit and I'm liking it a lot. Now I'm at around 1,54, but there's a lot of room for improvement. This little competition is fun, if only because I get to try the new circuits.

I usually do the roof cam for time trials, as I feel it gives me a better feeling of where I'm putting the car. Especially in the Asano, where the "realistic" location would have you hitting the broad side of a barn.
I like driving in cockpit view the best because it looks way cooler, but bumper cam allowed me to improve my time by two seconds because I could hit the apex, spot my braking zones, etc etc, much easier than in cockpit view.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
Foliorum Viridum - 1:48.260 (video)
Three60 - 1:48.490
Kyaw - 1:48.367
Blizzard
Metalmurphy - 1:49.161
bee - 1:48.958
paskowitz
Big Takeover - 1:48.101
Whateverman - 1:49.190 (video)
Polyphony - 1:48.239

I just stick with cockpit cam, so I can't really tell you if one is faster than the other. You do gain spatial awareness pretty quickly however. The Asano does take some feeling out to find those apex curbs, but once you understand the dimensions of the car it's not necessary to see the road passing underneath you.

You guys are really tempting me to upgrade my toolpack...! Is there a definitive setting for the DFGT? I've scoured the forums and there seem to be a plethora of settings for the wheel.

There have been so many changes to the FFB that I've stopped tinkering with the settings so I can't have a better understanding of what's changing.

If you find something you like though, I'd love to try it.

Just upgraded to Team Member so I can get the weekly builds. Need to get in on this TT action.
See this, SMS? I'm making you guys money!

Man I am getting seriously addicted to this game. I've done a lap of Historic Monza and Spa in the classic F1 car after talking about it with Orgun last night. As someone who has spent an ungodly time driving modern F1 cars in games it's really interesting to see how goddamn hard it is to drive the older version. They really do not want to turn at all, you have to be so gentle.

It really makes you appreciate how improved modern F1 cars are, which is why I made this comparison video. Kinda crazy when you look at it like this.

Polyphony

There have been so many changes to the FFB that I've stopped tinkering with the settings so I can't have a better understanding of what's changing.

If you find something you like though, I'd love to try it.

Yeah I'm just using the default DFGT profile with all deadzones set to 0.

Megasoum

Banned
I can't wait for the proper track name/map to be implemented into the game. I ended up on a kart track with a Formula A by accident earlier haha...

I also wish they would show a preview of the car when you select it. It's getting confusing with all the fake names and they are really starting to get a lot of cars in the game (which is great of course).

Now if only I could set up my Fanatec Turbo S properly to play the game....ugh... I ended up setting up my old Logitech MOMO Racing the other night and it actually worked better than the Fanatec. Obviously the wheel itself is so terrible that it's a loose-loose situation.

Arucardo

I can't wait for the proper track name/map to be implemented into the game. I ended up on a kart track with a Formula A by accident earlier haha...

I also wish they would show a preview of the car when you select it. It's getting confusing with all the fake names and they are really starting to get a lot of cars in the game (which is great of course).

Now if only I could set up my Fanatec Turbo S properly to play the game....ugh... I ended up setting up my old Logitech MOMO Racing the other night and it actually worked better than the Fanatec. Obviously the wheel itself is so terrible that it's a loose-loose situation.

Try using the Logitech G25 drivers instead. Just install the G25 drivers and connect the PWTS in PS3 mode to use them, some games feel completely different with it (CARS, rF, rF2, etc). I personally use the G25 drivers in most games now on PC.

quick edit: You can still keep the fanatec drivers on the pc, it doesn't cause any problems from what I've seen. So basically you can use both drivers depending on the mode you connect the wheel in (hold back/select and the connect button for PS3 mode I think and just the connect button for PC)

fresquito

Okay, after a second try, my time is 1:51.565. I think I can go under 50 with a little more practice. My main problem though, is that I'm not too solid.

Anyway, I'm not that used to racing games in general, so it's not that bad after all.

Top Bottom