• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Okay, after a second try, my time is 1:51.565. I think I can go under 50 with a little more practice. My main problem though, is that I'm not too solid.

Anyway, I'm not that used to racing games in general, so it's not that bad after all.

You have until Friday, so plenty of time! :)

You'll probably find that you'll hit a point where the track clicks and you'll start shaving time off drastically. The way I do it is one corner at a time - seeing how far I can push the car, what the fastest line is, etc etc, then moving on to the next. Then it's just a matter of hoping you have that one lap where you can put it all together.

See this, SMS? I'm making you guys money!

Man I am getting seriously addicted to this game. I've done a lap of Historic Monza and Spa in the classic F1 car after talking about it with Orgun last night. As someone who has spent an ungodly time driving modern F1 cars in games it's really interesting to see how goddamn hard it is to drive the older version. They really do not want to turn at all, you have to be so gentle.

It really makes you appreciate how improved modern F1 cars are, which is why I made this comparison video. Kinda crazy when you look at it like this.

Love those vids. Can't wait for classic Spa to show up in a build too. Hopefully soon.

Megasoum

Banned
Try using the Logitech G25 drivers instead. Just install the G25 drivers and connect the PWTS in PS3 mode to use them, some games feel completely different with it (CARS, rF, rF2, etc). I personally use the G25 drivers in most games now on PC.

quick edit: You can still keep the fanatec drivers on the pc, it doesn't cause any problems from what I've seen. So basically you can use both drivers depending on the mode you connect the wheel in (hold back/select and the connect button for PS3 mode I think and just the connect button for PC)

Hmmm good to know, I'll have to try that tonight.

fresquito

You have until Friday, so plenty of time! :)

You'll probably find that you'll hit a point where the track clicks and you'll start shaving time off drastically. The way I do it is one corner at a time - seeing how far I can push the car, what the fastest line is, etc etc, then moving on to the next. Then it's just a matter of hoping you have that one lap where you can put it all together.
Thanks for the tips. My main problem is that I've never been much into racing games and there's a lot of things I need to master. My time goes away in different things: not breaking properly, not using gears as should, not driving in the perfect line. The basics are there, but there're a lot of things I need to asimilate properly before I'm more solid. I just need practice, and this small competition is forcing me to practice, so this is good :)

In my third try I've gone down to 1:50.571. I think I can lower it by one second at least.

Three60

My current time is 1:48.252
sxy1f.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
GAF is mercyless.

Well, I will be happy if I can go under 1:50, it doesn't matter if I'm the last gaffer.
I already posted my time. I think my best is around 2:14.whatever. I'm just happy I'm not the lowest position on the overall scoreboard. =P I'll be lucky if I find time to teach myself manual gearshifting and somehow get under 2 minutes.

So don't worry about your score, I'll always be there to bring up the tail end. :D

fresquito

I already posted my time. I think my best is around 2:14.whatever. I'm just happy I'm not the lowest position on the overall scoreboard. =P I'll be lucky if I find time to teach myself manual gearshifting and somehow get under 2 minutes.

So don't worry about your score, I'll always be there to bring up the tail end. :D
:D

Manual shifting is not that hard. I learned it a year or two ago playing LFS. At first it's a bit of a stress, because you need to go up and down all the time, but eventually it's a lot easier to drive than with manual, because it's like you're controlling a lot of things just by knowing at what gear you are and is a lot more involving as well. I would start practicing with the Asan x4 or the Atom 300, since they're slower cars and make use of the lower gears more frequently.

That said, manual shifting is easier on a wheel. Maybe you should look into getting one. The DFGT is a very good wheel for the price it costs (which is not that much, really). Driving with a wheel is not only easier once you learn it, but it's so much more fun.

Edit: I've sent friend requests to the people taking part in the TT challenge.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
Foliorum Viridum - 1:48.260 (video)
Three60 - 1:48.252
Kyaw - 1:48.367
Blizzard
Metalmurphy - 1:49.161
bee - 1:48.958
paskowitz
Big Takeover - 1:48.101
Whateverman - 1:49.190 (video)
Polyphony - 1:48.239

Man, you guys are making it hard to resist trying to shave a little bit off my time. I think I'll give it another crack tonight. This is addictive.

I LOVE that on that leaderboard most of the top spots are GAFers. Good work lads!

fresquito

So I went under 1:50 in my fourth session: 1:49.725

I think I could reach a lower 1:49 or high 1:48 if I nail everything, but I don't see myself going into the lower 1:48 territory anytime soon. Doesn't matter, I went under 1:50, which was my objective in the first place.

BTW, Florence is such a thrilling track: up and down all the time, with lots of fast turns. I like it very much.

markao

Kids playtime is over, old men enters the challenge ;)

Asano X4 Touring at Florence GP - 1.46.506

Still need to get used to the new steering, turning my way wheel to much. Might not be influencing my single lap times, but it will kill my tires in the long run (to much scrubbing). I can only push one lap, after that my tires seem to loose some grip already, might be temp related, have to check, or same for others?

Oh and if I would have just done a great last sector, instead of getting nervous after seeing the first two sector times.

And my set-up used for those interested:

Kyaw

I keep fucking up the first chicane and the last corner. Didn't even get close to my fastest lap time today...

On the other hand, oooh setup!
Thanks Markao.

Also the Jaguar is really fun to drive around Florence. There's something about this car I really like, quite snappy and punchy.

Orgun

Welp, after installing and spending 30 minutes with an unknown track - 1:49.638.

Loving the feel of the FFB. Time to put in some more laps.

Blizzard

Banned
So, setups or what? I thought we said stock setups for these challenges?
I think it was mentioned earlier that you can do whatever assists etc. that you want, it's just for fun, and I assume that includes setups. As long as the game is okay with it with this build, presumably that's the boundary. As may have been pointed out, sometimes you may get two tires off the road but still have a lap time recorded because it was not far enough off to get you flagged.

Polyphony

After getting a feel for the track, I quite like it. Very fun.

Anyway, here's my final time, don't know when I'll have time to put in some more laps, but I'll have to if you all start beating me >:)

v5MYu.png

bee

oh people are using setups :/ definitely not got the motivation to do that, especially as the game locks when i goto exit the track every single time, then when i quit the process the sound loops until pc is rebooted, probably to do with me renaming the exe for sli support but ye still...

I think it was mentioned earlier that you can do whatever assists etc. that you want, it's just for fun, and I assume that includes setups. As long as the game is okay with it with this build, presumably that's the boundary. As may have been pointed out, sometimes you may get two tires off the road but still have a lap time recorded because it was not far enough off to get you flagged.
Yeah it's not serious so any assists/setups is fine. You just need the right car, track and build! :)

I said earlier I wasn't using a setup, not that they're not allowed! :)

Orgun

Just had a play around with the Formula A cars. Wow they look, sound and feel great! Cannot wait until we get to use those in multiplayer!

fresquito

Our little competition is getting some... erms... competition:

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?3122-More-Hot-Lap-Events&p=103431&viewfull=1#post103431

I quickly discussed this with Mike. He says the client is ready for testing now, builds 169+ have the event support added in, builds 174+ have proper UI for them. So I will add two testing events after lunch today:
F68 at Rouen: This will be active immediately and finish next week.
Gumpert at Florence Short: I will set this one up to become active on midnight between Thursday and Friday (UTC) and finish after one week.
This will give us few days to test simple single event and then overlapping events. Does that sound ok?

Note that we did not have much time to test this ingame, so expect bugs.

That's cool. Something else to do in the game!

I want to keep ours going though because it has the community aspect! This has gone really well so far, I hope it will remain popular.

Also, updated to reflect Polyphony's new time:

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
Blizzard
paskowitz
Polyphony - 1:47.560
fresquito - 1:49.725
markao - 1:46:506 (video)

Orgun

Just had a crack at the first event. F*ck it felt good to finally get in a good lap in that car on that track. Open wheelers are definitely more my thing. The noise those things make hnnnngh, think i'm gonna have to get a longer cable for my headset.

edit: Here ya go Kyaw

It's been bugging me too! :)

Shaneus

I'm going to give that a crack sometime today. Are there rules anywhere as far as assists, configurations etc.? I haven't been keeping up to date with this thread as much as I should have been :(

Folly, can you at least get the times in increasing order? :p

Yeah I'm going to re-arrange them next time I update it. :) Been meaning to do it today but I've been lazy/playing Crysis again. I've just been updating it on the fly so I don't miss out a time.

I'm going to give that a crack sometime today. Are there rules anywhere as far as assists, configurations etc.? I haven't been keeping up to date with this thread as much as I should have been :(

Build 174, use the right track and car. Other than that, whatever assists and setup you want.

Edit: Might as well do it now since I can just copy Orgun's order :D

Deleted those who have said they're in but not submitted a time yet.

mclaren777

Yeah I'm going to re-arrange them next time I update it. :) Been meaning to do it today but I've been lazy/playing Crysis again. I've just been updating it on the fly so I don't miss out a time.

Maybe you didn't see it, but I've already done most of the hard work for you.

1:46:506 - markao - (video)
1:47.560 - Polyphony - (screenshot)
1:48.101 - Big Takeover - (post)
1:48.252 - Three60 - (screenshot)
1:48.260 - Foliorum Viridum - (video)
1:48.367 - Kyaw - (screenshot)
1:48.958 - bee - (screenshot)
1:49.161 - Metalmurphy - (screenshot)
1:49.190 - Whateverman - (video)
1:49.638 - Orgun - (post)
1:49.725 - fresquito - (leaderboard)

Edit: oh, I see you edited your post

I just took a few runs with Markao's setup, and found it... undriveable! Too pointy for me!

All is not lost though, as I simply drained 40 kilos of fuel out of the default setup, and quickly chopped a second off my time. 1:47.2 or something. I've got to go make some food, and then I'll try for a :46 w/video.

Blizzard

Banned
I just took a few runs with Markao's setup, and found it... undriveable! Too pointy for me!

All is not lost though, as I simply drained 40 kilos of fuel out of the default setup, and quickly chopped a second of my time. 1:47.2 or something. I've got to go make some food, and then I'll try for a :46 w/video.
Interesting question, do you lose fuel by default? I think the damage model is set to cosmetic only (or even off) by default, is fuel consumption a setting? If you can reduce the amount of fuel you start with, and then not run out by the end of the track, that would be nice (but unfair of course :p).

Likewise, I did not realize the tires would degrade after even the first lap -- if you reset the time trial mode after finishing a lap, does that give you new tires again?

All is not lost though, as I simply drained 40 kilos of fuel out of the default setup, and quickly chopped a second off my time. 1:47.2 or something. I've got to go make some food, and then I'll try for a :46 w/video.

Well then...

-.-

Interesting question, do you lose fuel by default? I think the damage model is set to cosmetic only (or even off) by default, is fuel consumption a setting? If you can reduce the amount of fuel you start with, and then not run out by the end of the track, that would be nice (but unfair of course :p).

Likewise, I did not realize the tires would degrade after even the first lap -- if you reset the time trial mode after finishing a lap, does that give you new tires again?

It's not unfair. I didn't realise you could lower your fuel load, but tomorrow I'm doing that for sure. It's in the menu, it's available to tweak for all, so it's all good. As long as he's not using hacks then it's not unfair! :)

I just looked at the setup menu and felt overwhelmed. I should've taken some time to read it because that fuel thing is such a stupid thing to overlook!

Yep, you lose fuel. I just tried setting it to 1kg , and I ran out before turn 4 :)

Markao has 14kg in his setup, so that's what I went with too. It seems to get maybe a warmup +3 laps.

Personally, I'd rather us all go bone-stock, so we can all stick to driving. Whatever FV wants to do is totally fine by me though. I can tell you I won't be fiddling with the setup other than removing fuel. I just don't want to get into it.

If it's popular consensus that custom setups is too much hassle we can stick to stock. I'm really dumb when it comes to setups so unless people posted theirs I wouldn't be using any either - I have to find setups for all the races we do in F1 2011 etc cos I have no idea what constitutes a good setup :)

I'm just aware this is a sim game and lots of people might want to tweak; I didn't want to prevent people from doing that if it's what they enjoy.

So yeah lemme know what you guys think and we can have a more solid rule set for next week.

Personally, I'm fine with people having custom setups. They'll probably be quicker, but I'm sure they can be nice and share them too :D

Blizzard

Banned
The fuel thing is really simple, but other than that I agree that tweaking is too much trouble for me. I just want to learn some of the other controller guy's techniques at least, lol.

I have no problem if people do want to mess with their setups, especially since I don't want to see people get upset because of ultra-competitive arguments over rules or something. Everyone seems laid back and having fun so I don't really think that'd happen though.

How come you haven't invested in a wheel yet? After spending so much on this game it's a relatively small cost :p

If you got a Logitech GT your driving skills would improve overnight. Guaranteed! I held off for ages but as soon as I bought a wheel for F1 2010 I regretted not getting one sooner.

Blizzard

Banned
Ha, if you really want to know, here are a few reasons:

1. That other guy got a comparable time with the 360 controller, so it SHOULD be possible. I want to at least learn that stuff!

2. I have a ton of electronic etc. stuff, a tiny apartment, and a crappy desk. I rather doubt it would be sturdy enough to hold a wheel, at least not without shaking my monitor around a bunch. I mean, I even have a crappy CHAIR, I need to take the time to visit a decent office supply store.

3. I hardly ever play CARS at all due to wasting all my non-work time typically playing other games (TF2 or League of Legends), and if I can make myself not work and not play either of those, I have a bunch of personal projects such as learning the ukulele, reverse-engineering the wireless 360 controller, trying to write a driver for said wireless 360 controller with a chatpad attached, and working on a game engine development + game programming project. So ultimately, it would be something I'm very unlikely to use right now, so I don't really have much motivation to pick one up. :p

If it's popular consensus that custom setups is too much hassle we can stick to stock. I'm really dumb when it comes to setups so unless people posted theirs I wouldn't be using any either - I have to find setups for all the races we do in F1 2011 etc cos I have no idea what constitutes a good setup :)

I'm just aware this is a sim game and lots of people might want to tweak; I didn't want to prevent people from doing that if it's what they enjoy.

So yeah lemme know what you guys think and we can have a more solid rule set for next week.

Personally, I'm fine with people having custom setups. They'll probably be quicker, but I'm sure they can be nice and share them too :D

That's perfect. I'm completely fine with it, especially if the majority of lost time is down to low fuel which anybody can fix on their own.

Shaneus

Are there simple enough instructions on how to record video for this? I can't see my PC being happy with running this *and* recording a video.

Are there simple enough instructions on how to record video for this? I can't see my PC being happy with running this *and* recording a video.

Yeah, it's not a pretty sight doing both at the same time. Using FRAPS to do it. You can download the trial to see how it runs. It spits out HUGE file sizes, so beware.

Polyphony

Superb!

I'm in the same boat, I find that tuning is quite time consuming so I normally leave the car stock. I have nothing against it though. My fastest time was done with markao's tune (thanks!). Tuning is also tailored to a driving style so a tune won't be universal, but a lighter fuel tank will have an immediate positive impact for sure.

Top Bottom