• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

The next one should be one of the open wheelers...one of the OLD open wheelers :D I'd love to see what kind of setups/times we can pull out of them.

Maybe we should try the Lotus 68\Rouen to see what it's like to run our league in tandem with the official events.

fresquito

I think I will go Senior myself. I don't like the marketing direction very much, but I think the game is shaping very well and will do fantastic comercially, so it looks like a good investment.

mclaren777

Speaking as a manager level member, I am not concerned about this.

Would you be okay with not getting your money back? Or perhaps, getting some in-game credit but still "losing" your $1400? I'm guessing you would be fine with it because you enjoy supporting this project, but I doubt that everybody else is so benevolent. ;)

I was just re-reading the Terms and Conditions and there's enough wriggle room in the language that SMS/WMD could theoretically not reimburse any PayPal accounts. I'm not saying that will happen, but it's a legal possibility.

4.7. NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION IS GIVEN AS TO WHETHER ANY FEES WILL BE PAID TO YOU.

5. OBLIGATIONS OF SMS
5.1. SMS will use its reasonable endeavours to:
5.1.1. procure that you receive a credit in the Game as would be expected for a member of a games development team who made the same or a similar contribution as you made to the Game;
5.1.2. provide or make available to you the WMD Tools as and when such WMD Tools becomes available in such format as appropriate to your level of membership;
5.1.3. provide or make available to you a copy of the Game after the commercial release of the Game.

fresquito

Are you concerned at all by the recent developments? For instance, I'm losing faith that SMS/WMD will be refunding money at/above the Senior tier.
No, I'm not. The moment they scam us, the moment they will get sued. Besides, it will kill SMS and anyone involved in front of the eyes of gamers.

So I don't see them pulling such a stunt. In fact, I think they don't need to. They will get the bigger part of the pie anyway. I'm pretty sure the game will be a great success and we will get our money back and then some more.

Blizzard

Banned
Would you be okay with not getting your money back? Or perhaps, getting some in-game credit but still "losing" your $1400? I'm guessing you would be fine with it because you enjoy supporting this project, but I doubt that everybody else is so benevolent. ;)

I was just re-reading the Terms and Conditions and there's enough wriggle room in the language that SMS/WMD could theoretically not reimburse any PayPal accounts. I'm not saying that will happen, but it's a legal possibility.
I would be okay with not getting my money back, since like the stock market or something, as a semi-investment it's a risk that could be 100% lost. I would LIKE to get the money back in some form besides the game, and I think it is fairly likely it will happen. I suspect such legal terms are semi-standard, and if I wanted a more serious investment I would need to look into contracts. The most annoying part of the whole thing will actually be if I get money back, since that will involve the pain of figuring out/paying someone to figure out how the tax situation will work on the returned money.

Regarding this week's time trial, unfortunately I am working late every single night so I will not have time to work more on tomorrow's record. My time should be about 2:14 on the leaderboard if someone would like to still include it in the final table. :p

So close...

AYf9C.png

mclaren777

Reading the log for today's Design Meeting right now. If anyone wants some insight in to what's happening in the future be sure to check this out http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?4289-Design-Meeting-21-03-2012

Some comments that really stood out to me...

Ian Bell: We also need to aim for the masses and beat GT5 and Forza 4. How do we do that in terms of features is the question.

Andy Tudor: So there's a huge opportunity there to... be THE racing game on Wii U.

Scott Coffey: I would only suggest that we make it fairly easy to get out of the initial "kart" series. My gut feeling is that they won't be very popular.

Ian Bell: Scott, agreed on the karts, we should have something like a formula ford/renault as an optional starter and karts as optional trainers IMO

Ian Bell: Scott, on rally I think we should do it as a DLC, or cut it. Or do it as a separate game. We'll have a ton of content already

Andy Tudor: I hope the player experience would be as such: You choose from one of three Career starting points (Kart/Touring/Drift/Formula Renault etc..) and then have a calendar to work through like FIFA. You can accept/reject offers to switch to another team or even discipline (ie.. you're in GT2 and a GT1 team wants you to drive for them), or stay where you were and continually try to win the championship each year.

Ivo Franic: Visual upgrades and mechanical upgrades complicate the whole thing. The cars will al be very different already, we aren't making a car collecting game like Forza or GT5

Ged Keaveney: Upgrades are a pain from a tech point of view too (mainly consoles) take up lots of memory and are slow to load as we can't package them for optimal loading easily. I'd rather avoid them.

Ian Bell: Let's say no upgrades then, more cars

I have some concern over the "Become a Legend" aspect of game, because my desire isn't to win the Formula A World Championship or pilot an Audi R18 to victory at the 1000km of Spa. I would personally rather drive the cars that I enjoy most (Radical, Ariel, etc) and have the game tailor itself around those series. But I think the game should also cater to people like Foliorum Viridum who prefer the faster, more extreme machines.

Even though I'm not a big fan of the Forza series, I think Turn10 has done a great job of letting players drive whatever they want, wherever they want. When I played FM4, I probably spent two entire "seasons" driving just my first-gen MR2 and Mazda Protege. The game kept giving me exotic cars to use, but it also respected my freedom to not select them.

I'm hoping that pCARS has similar respect for the player and I'm concerned by Ian's comment (among others) that cars like the Formula Renault will be starter cars only. I realize that I'm probably the only person who would rather drive a Formula Renault than a Formula B, but I really hope that the game doesn't pressure players out of the "lesser" disciplines in an effort to turn them into "Legends".

_machine

I'm hoping that pCARS has similar respect for the player and I'm concerned by Ian's comment (among others) that cars like the Formula Renault will be starter cars only. I realize that I'm probably the only person who would rather drive a Formula Renault than a Formula B, but I really hope that the game doesn't pressure players out of the "lesser" disciplines in an effort to turn them into "Legends".
I think a lot of that is still just brainstorming ideas, but I think someone suggested in the thread that we have a career and a season mode. The career would be the become a Legend and the season being a season of the desired class.

And because I suck at driving the Formula A/B, I'm with you on the Formula Renault -point.

Just upgraded to senior, though still debating on whether to upgrade to manager or not to.

Arucardo

Some comments that really stood out to me...

I have some concern over the "Become a Legend" aspect of game, because my desire isn't to win the Formula A World Championship or pilot an Audi R18 to victory at the 1000km of Spa. I would personally rather drive the cars that I enjoy most (Radical, Ariel, etc) and have the game tailor itself around those series. But I think the game should also cater to people like Foliorum Viridum who prefer the faster, more extreme machines.

Even though I'm not a big fan of the Forza series, I think Turn10 has done a great job of letting players drive whatever they want, wherever they want. When I played FM4, I probably spent two entire "seasons" driving just my first-gen MR2 and Mazda Protege. The game kept giving me exotic cars to use, but it also respected my freedom to not select them.

I agree with you, I'm not 100% sure if I already saw someone from the staff mention it but just giving the player the option to "stay" in a certain car or racing class would address this.

Personally I'd like a system where if you're doing really well and winning races constantly you'll be given an option to go up the ladder mid season or after a good performance during the season you'll be able to approach teams to see if they'd like you to race for them in a different car class. Alternatively the teams could approach you after a season and you would be able to pick from multiple classes and teams (4 or 5 options would be enough, I think more than that would be confusing) or choose to stay in your current class for another season.

I think a lot of that is still just brainstorming ideas, but I think someone suggested in the thread that we have a career and a season mode. The career would be the become a Legend and the season being a season of the desired class.

And because I suck at driving the Formula A/B, I'm with you on the Formula Renault -point.

Just upgraded to senior, though still debating on whether to upgrade to manager or not to.

Sounds like TOCA Race Driver 3 which had both the career mode where you ran through the different disciplines from Karts up to F1 and a season option which let you pick what series you wanted and race through that (It had the full DTM and V8 Supercars series and worked almost like a mini-official game for both of them in that mode).

Not a bad standard to follow, actually.

Megasoum

Banned
Really happy for Suzuka. Not really surprising...it's like Nordsclief and Silverstone, it's in every single game of the last 10 years lol. I personnaly think that Suzuka is the best out of those three so it's gonna be fun!

fresquito

From reading the meeting yesterday, I gathered the idea that there will be a calendar where events (championships) will take place and you will be offered things. Say you're in Formula Renault and you're doing great, you may get a good offer to change class or teams. Of course, you can always refuse to move and go on with your team. What I hope is that even if you're in a low tier team, by winning, you can make that Team be number one, not always the underdog. Say you win two or three championships in a row, that would report profits to your team, which could use to develop a better car next time.

Arucardo

Sounds like TOCA Race Driver 3 which had both the career mode where you ran through the different disciplines from Karts up to F1 and a season option which let you pick what series you wanted and race through that (It had the full DTM and V8 Supercars series and worked almost like a mini-official game for both of them in that mode).

Not a bad standard to follow, actually.

Ian directly mentioned/pointed to TOCA Race Driver 3 in yesterdays meeting so yeah, I'm pretty optimistic about the whole career mode.

From reading the meeting yesterday, I gathered the idea that there will be a calendar where events (championships) will take place and you will be offered things. Say you're in Formula Renault and you're doing great, you may get a good offer to change class or teams. Of course, you can always refuse to move and go on with your team. What I hope is that even if you're in a low tier team, by winning, you can make that Team be number one, not always the underdog. Say you win two or three championships in a row, that would report profits to your team, which could use to develop a better car next time.
Car upgrades or development seem unlikely to be implemented (was also mentioned in the meeting) and I don't mind if they keep it that way, makes the online experience much more balanced.

It's amazing how I couldn't give less of a shit about careers in racing games these days. I used to love working through them in GT and Forza, but now racing against AI bores me to tears for the most part and I have zero desire to work my way up through the crap cars.

All I care about is the tracks and cars for racing online now.

Also, updated:

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
markao - 1:46:506 (video)
Big Takeover - 1:46.598 (video)
Salacious Crumb - 1:47.089 (video)
Orgun - 1:47.432 (video)
Polyphony - 1:47.560
Metalmurphy - 1:48.175
Three60 - 1:48.252
Foliorum Viridum - 1:48.260 (video)
Kyaw - 1:48.367
Arcticfox - 1:48.894
bee - 1:48.958
Whateverman - 1:49.190 (video)
fresquito - 1:49.725

mclaren777

I know that some of you have upgraded to Full Member so please shoot me a PM (instead of clogging up this thread) and I'll update the list accordingly.

GAF Name -- Level -- WMD Name
_machine -- Manager -- (machinaea)
Blizzard -- Manager -- (GAFBlizzard)
disap.ed -- Manager -- (disap.ed)
------------------------
amar212 -- Senior -- (amar212)
autocannon -- Senior -- (autocannon)
fresquito -- Senior -- (fresquito)
Joseph Merrick -- Senior -- (unknown)
Mergesort -- Senior -- (Mergesort)
Sethos -- Senior -- (Sethos)
Waffle Burger -- Senior -- (Deuce)
------------------------
Arucardo -- Full Member -- (Arucardo)
Darkdeus -- Full Member -- (darkdeus)
DiabolicalBagel -- Full Member -- (DiabolicalBagel)
Dilly -- Full Member -- (Dillyracer)
Foliorum Viridum -- Full Member -- (Foliorum Viridum)
IMACOMPUTA -- Full Member -- (IMACOMPUTA)
kafiend -- Full Member -- (kafiend)
luiztfc -- Full Member -- (luiztfc)
Megasoum -- Full Member -- (Megasoum)
Rumble19 -- Full Member -- (Rumble)
Shaneus -- Full Member -- (Shaneus)
ShinyBallBoy -- Full Member -- (ShinyBallBoy)
sneaky77 -- Full Member -- (sneaky77)
Valru -- Full Member -- (Valru)
Yaska -- Full Member -- (Yaska)
------------------------
19KILO -- Team Member -- (19Kilo)
Andrmt -- Team Member -- (Andrmt)
Arcticfox -- Team Member -- (Arcticfox)
BeeDog -- Team Member -- (BeeDog)
Big Takeover -- Team Member -- (Big Takeover)
Captain Rizla -- Team Member -- (Captain Rizla)
chaosblade -- Team Member -- (Chaosblade)
ColonialRaptor -- Team Member -- (ColonialRaptor)
Cptkrush -- Team Member -- (cptkrush)
ctw0e -- Team Member -- (caxor)
desu -- Team Member -- (des)
DOBERMAN INC -- Team Member -- (goonersaurus)
felipepl -- Team Member -- (felipaopl)
flashburn2012 -- Team Member -- (flashburn)
foogles -- Team Member -- (foogles)
Frawder -- Team Member -- (Frawdder)
Gen X -- Team Member -- (Gen X)
Globehopper -- Team Member -- (ScaryG)
Grassy -- Team Member -- (Grassy)
Imp the Dimp -- Team Member -- (Big Bank Hank)
Izayoi -- Team Member -- (Drew)
jet1911 -- Team Member -- (jet1911)
Jibbed -- Team Member -- (Jibbed)
juicyfrys -- Team Member -- (juicyfrys)
kn1ves24 -- Team Member -- (yellow13)
Kyaw -- Team Member -- (Kyaw)
LowKeyedUp -- Team Member -- (LowKeyedUp)
Lucius86 -- Team Member -- (Lucius86)
Mad_Ban -- Team Member -- (Phleg)
Maj -- Team Member -- (Grendel)
markao -- Team Member -- (Mark vdM)
Metalmurphy -- Team Member -- (Hitomics)
Mister Zimbu -- Team Member -- (MisterZimbu)
NO_Quarter25 -- Team Member -- (NO_Quarter25)
Orgun -- Team Member -- (OrgunUK)
PaladinsArc -- Team Member -- (Arc07)
paskowitz -- Team Member -- (paskowitz)
PjotrStroganov -- Team Member -- (PjotrStroganov)
pleunv -- Team Member -- (pleunv)
Polyphony -- Team Member -- (Poly)
PrematureQuiche -- Team Member -- (PrematureQuiche)
Ravenn17 -- Team Member -- (zGSP)
Salacious Crumb -- Team Member -- (SalaciousCrumb)
Shawsie64 -- Team Member -- (shawsie64)
smiggyRT -- Team Member -- (smiggyRT)
Speech -- Team Member -- (Speech)
SoulClap -- Team Member -- (SoulClap)
Staab -- Team Member -- (Staab)
Stop It -- Team Member -- (Stop It)
supersaw -- Team Member -- (supersaw)
Three60 -- Team Member -- (three60)
TJP -- Team Member -- (Travis)
Vostro -- Team Member -- (OpuLance)
Waaghals -- Team Member -- (Waaghals)
Watevaman -- Team Member -- (Watevaman)
wowzors -- Team Member -- (wowzors)
Yoritomo -- Team Member -- (Yoritomo)
------------------------
DieH@rd -- Junior Member -- (DieHard)
Dimitri2401 -- Junior Member -- (dimitri2401)
Dynoro -- Junior Member -- (Dynoro)
eemijun -- Junior Member -- (eemijun)
Hackbert -- Junior Member -- (Hacky)
Jamesways -- Junior Member -- (Jamesways)
MiniBossBattle -- Junior Member -- (MiniBossBattle)
NullPointer -- Junior Member -- (NullPointer256)
pappakenoo -- Junior Member -- (pappakenoo)
Pazuzu9 -- Junior Member -- (Pazuzu)
Pepto -- Junior Member -- (massproduction)
R1CHO -- Junior Member -- (RICHO)
scitek -- Junior Member -- (scitek)
spicy cho -- Junior Member -- (spicycho)
Wazzim -- Junior Member -- (Wazzim)
Xanadu -- Junior Member -- (nile)

3 Managing Members
7 Senior Members
15 Full Members
57 Team Members
16 Junior Members

NeoGAF members have now invested $7886 in Project CARS

mclaren777

Also, updated:

Have you considered sorting the list by relative time? I think doing so might encourage more participation because it's easier to see the gap to your nearest competitor.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
1:46.506 - markao - (video)
1.46.563 - Dilly - (leaderboard)
1:46.598 - Big Takeover - (video)
1:46.857 - Polyphony - (leaderboard)
1:47.089 - Salacious Crumb - (video)
1:47.432 - Orgun - (video)
1:48.175 - Metalmurphy - (screenshot)
1:48.252 - Three60 - (screenshot)
1:48.260 - Foliorum Viridum - (video)
1:48.367 - Kyaw - (screenshot)
1:48.894 - Arcticfox - (leaderboard)
1:48.958 - bee - (screenshot)
1:49.190 - Whateverman - (video)
1:49.725 - fresquito - (leaderboard)
1:55.117 - _machine - (leaderboard)
1:59.271 - jet1911 - (leaderboard)
2:14.591 - Blizzard - (leaderboard)

Blizzard

Banned
I am at a friends house playing p.cars. He has a senior membership(asurazorro).
If you want to see me drive look here: http://en.twitch.tv/asurazorro
But i warn you i drive worse than blizzard! I never had a sim race game so please forgive me :)
Hey now, I resent that! ;p

Well, not as much as I resent not being included on the list people keep pasting just because my time is so bad. You people are just biased against people with 2+ minute times! *waves cane*

mclaren777

Me as well but no purchase on that account. I was having problems buying it and ended up making another account.

Gotcha. I can't see anything on the WMD forums due to the recent permaban, so I only had that old URL to go off of.

Anyway, I've updated the list to reflect the appropriate changes. :)

Well, not as much as I resent not being included on the list people keep pasting just because my time is so bad. You people are just biased against people with 2+ minute times! *waves cane*

Have you posted your time? I've seen you mention it roughly, but I've never seen you post a solid one with evidence. That's what you need to do for it to get on the table!

I'll go through the last two pages just to double check I haven't missed it :p

Edit: Okay, I see you mentioned it was on the table. If you could link it next time with the exact time that would be easier though please! :)

markao - 1:46:506 (video)
Big Takeover - 1:46.598 (video)
Salacious Crumb - 1:47.089 (video)
Orgun - 1:47.432 (video)
Polyphony - 1:47.560
Metalmurphy - 1:48.175
Three60 - 1:48.252
Foliorum Viridum - 1:48.260 (video)
Kyaw - 1:48.367
Arcticfox - 1:48.894
bee - 1:48.958
Whateverman - 1:49.190 (video)
fresquito - 1:49.725
Blizzard - 2:14.591

Blizzard

Banned
Have you posted your time? I've seen you mention it rouglhy, but I've never seen you post a solid one with evidence. That's what you need to do for it to get on the table!

I'll go through the last two pages just to double check I haven't missed it :p
I mentioned it was on the leaderboards but I was too lazy to check. I figured that was enough evidence, but I can take a screenshot of my personal record screen at home if you want. I don't think my computer can handle recording while I race since I only get maybe 35-50 fps windowed.

I'm #183 here: http://cars-stats.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=37&vehicle=2&page=2

Quick question before we start the next race competition, do people play it in free play or "time trial"? Time trial gives a rolling start while the free play starts you in the pit if I recall correctly.

No you don't need to take a screenshot in-game, just post the exact time and link to yourself on the leaderboard. It saves me looking for people then :)

And I do it in time trial mode. The rolling start isn't an advantage because they start you off slow, so the first lap is just a sighter and the rest will be the quick ones because you'll have more speed over the line.

Orgun

I mentioned it was on the leaderboards but I was too lazy to check. I figured that was enough evidence, but I can take a screenshot of my personal record screen at home if you want. I don't think my computer can handle recording while I race since I only get maybe 35-50 fps windowed.

I'm #183 here: http://cars-stats.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=37&vehicle=2&page=2

Quick question before we start the next race competition, do people play it in free play or "time trial"? Time trial gives a rolling start while the free play starts you in the pit if I recall correctly.

I do mine in Race mode with 0 opponents and 3/4 laps. That way you get the full trackside camera replay instead of just 30 seconds.

_machine

Time trial, because it has pre-warmed tires;
Free Practice - Cold Tires
Race - Semi-warm Tires
TT - Warmed Tires

Mergesort

Come on at least you got a time in! I fail all the time, nothing gets recorded. But who cares i am a newbie so it doesn't matter :p

I always went with my first run because I tend to reset when I failed. That's an interesting point about waiting until the second lap so the speed over the line is faster.

Also, what is the trick to getting full replays? Just playing in race mode, or is there something else as well?

*edit* My time: 2:14.591 (http://cars-stats.wmdportal.com/index.php/profile?user=637#record_track_37_vehicle_2)

I edited you in to an earlier post when I found you :)

Yeah, if you play in race mode with zero cars you can get a full replay with 3/4 laps. Not sure if it works with more laps.

And you should NEVER do your lap on a rolling start. You're losing so much time because when you do one lap you'll be in 6th going over the line, rather than 4th with the rolling start.

Time trial, because it has pre-warmed tires;
Free Practice - Cold Tires
Race - Semi-warm Tires
TT - Warmed Tires

Well I'll be damned. I thought it was all the same lol. I've been racing in Free Practice. Gonna try to set a better time later today. 1.47s is still within my reach

_machine

Well I'll be damned. I thought it was all the same lol. I've been racing in Free Practice. Gonna try to set a better time later today. 1.47s is still within my reach
Had to check in case I've misinterpred something,but no, it's 20°C/FP,40°C/Race and 80°C/TT on the Caterham.

Polyphony

You get a rolling start on Florence GP TT but you start halfway down the straight so you'll be a few km/h slower going into turn 1. What I do is I drive backwards and start my lap from the last corner. It's faster that way than having to do a full warmup lap lol.
/lazy

Megasoum

Banned
Orgun, I love you for telling me about the full replays:

Multi angle night lap around Spa

It's so awesome I can do vids like that. I just wish the AI didn't keep punting me off so I could do one in an actual race :( The AI is not up to snuff yet at all.

Nice video... It really is pitch black in the middle of the night lol. I hope they'll light up a bit the stands and the buildings. I understand that there's no lights in the middle of the forest but it's not like the whole region is in total blackout during a race hehe.

Blizzard

Banned
Haha, clever strategy. It boggles my mind that the speed into turn 1 matters so much, since I felt like I had to slow down to around 100-120 km/h to not go flying off the track out part of the turn.

In TT mode, lap 2 seems to be the money lap for the tires. I usually take a third lap (in fact my fast time was on lap 3), but the car definitely begins to slide more.

Polyphony

I couldn't help myself, had to put in some more laps :p

My new time: 1:46.857

Someone broke into the 1:45's...

Orgun, I love you for telling me about the full replays:

Multi angle night lap around Spa

It's so awesome I can do vids like that. I just wish the AI didn't keep punting me off so I could do one in an actual race :( The AI is not up to snuff yet at all.

How do you see where you're going?! I hope the final game has sliders for draw distance because it pretty dark at the moment.

Top Bottom