• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

markao

No! Stop!
Almost ;)

1:57.579

I messed up, I think it's called Forrest's Elbow, that sharp downhill turn before the long back straight and just clipped the barrier on exit. No time to render tonight, will try to do it tomorrow and upload it.

Salacious Crumb

I feel like the biggest idiot ever.

I just watched Foli's vid and I was going round the track in reverse - hence why it wasnt recording my times.

:-(

mj-laughing.gif

Fuck this corner. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

As this video shows, I pretty much have the first section down now. I might not be flying around like Dilly but I'm consistently quite fast through there. But as soon as you get to THAT GODDAMN CORNER, well, you can see for yourself.

So many lost laps :( I'm already making up like 2-3 seconds before that point, so I need to get over this hurdle to get a decent time in.

Polyphony

Hahaha, that tire wall looks deadly.

I compared your lap with Dilly's and you're speeding at 181 km/h when you cross the banner's shadow whereas he's all the way down to 158.

Lucius86

Banned
I love the age we live in :p

Lucius86 vs Dilly

Now I feel like recording my own laptimes too

Man, the competition is heating up at the top! I hope this game gets ghost replays eventually.

That's actually REALLY useful, but damn I look slow as ass compared to Dilly.

I'm going to give this another crack.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #6 - Gumpert Apollo @ Bathurst (Build 197)

Dilly - 1.57.514
Frawdder - 2:01.681
Three60 - 2:02.311
Arucardo - 2:02.634
Polyphony - 2:02.976
Lucius86 - 2:03.642 (video)
_machine - 2:07.623
Foliorum Viridum - 2:07.730 (video)

REVERSE LAYOUT LEADERBOARD -

1. Lucius86, representing the special needs team. (needs to be on new page)

At least I am the top of some other leaderboard. I think my time of 2:02.6xx going in reverse will never be beaten.

Dilly

Banned
Almost ;)

1:57.579

I messed up, I think it's called Forrest's Elbow, that sharp downhill turn before the long back straight and just clipped the barrier on exit. No time to render tonight, will try to do it tomorrow and upload it.

At least I'm not making it easy for you this time!

Mad_Ban

Christ. I'm so slow :( I can't do a single lap here without spinning or hitting something and I usually end up in 2:08's.

Dilly, you make the car look so smooth and grippy!

Mad_Ban

I'm finding it really hard to correct slides in the Gumpert. The car snaps back to the opposite lock direction, so I think I'm maybe applying too much opposite lock, but any less and the car just slides.

Is it a combination of the car + Bathurst? Or are there any good tips? :)

fresquito

Just got the game, I am turrible...
I guess I should try Bahurst. Do you guys have setting recommendations?
Bathurst is not the best track to learn, really.

My recommendation is: pick up an easy car (FB and Asano x4 are pretty easy), pick up an easy track, and try to drive slow, learn the track and then slowly increase speed as you start to feel the track and the car.

Dilly

Banned
I'm finding it really hard to correct slides in the Gumpert. The car snaps back to the opposite lock direction, so I think I'm maybe applying too much opposite lock, but any less and the car just slides.

Is it a combination of the car + Bathurst? Or are there any good tips? :)
Bathurst is not a forgiving track because of the elevation changes, it's better with a high downforce car

Lucius86

Banned
I've lost all incentive to practice F1 2011 now, and race this.

What setups are people using? I just wanted to get to grips with the handling of the game again, but now I want to start tweaking it to try and get more confidence in the car.

Jibbed

I've just got a 2:03.256 with a 360 controller (no assists, manual, pro handling, default setup), and not having driven this track since TOCA Race Driver on the PS2.

Struggled like hell, I can definitely go sub-2:00 with a decent run. Just making it to the end of the lap is an achievement in itself.

Messy, messy lap (video).

Mad_Ban

I've just got a 2:03.256 with a 360 controller (no assists, manual, pro handling, default setup), and not having driven this track since TOCA Race Driver on the PS2.

Very nice! I'm using stability control while I try to learn the physics and I've got a 2:02 (Should be tenth on the board as Phleg). It'll be interesting to see your video.

Jibbed

Very nice! I'm using stability control while I try to learn the physics and I've got a 2:02 (Should be tenth on the board as Phleg). It'll be interesting to see your video.

Thanks! Video's up.. as you can probably tell, no assists = carnage. Out of 30+ attempts, I made it to the end of the lap maybe 4 times. Coming down the hill at the top is so sketchy.

Hahaha, that tire wall looks deadly.

I compared your lap with Dilly's and you're speeding at 181 km/h when you cross the banner's shadow whereas he's all the way down to 158.

Yeah, you are definitely way too fast there :p

Yeah, I know. The thing is on a lap before all of those crashes I made it around that corner SO fast doing it at that speed, but I wiped out further down the track. I wanted to try and replicate that because anything else feels too slow now :(

Guess I'll have to suck it up and slow down when I try it later!

I don't get my times to save. If i go into records, it just says no record set, and if i start a race on a track that i know i have completed laps on, it just says N/A on my best time. Am i missing something? I am of course doing laps in Time Trial mode. I'm also junior member, does that have anything to do with it?

Mad_Ban

Here's a very messy lap of mine. It's not very clean but you can get the general gist of how I'm doing the lap. I've got TC and stability control on while I try to get the hang of it. :)

Advice is appreciated.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't get my times to save. If i go into records, it just says no record set, and if i start a race on a track that i know i have completed laps on, it just says N/A on my best time. Am i missing something? I am of course doing laps in Time Trial mode. I'm also junior member, does that have anything to do with it?
I guess junior member -might- have something to do with it...there's a new version of the game out that people are using for the current competition of course.

Just to make sure, you do quit the race and game using the menus once you have finished, right? Instead of pressing Alt-F4?

Also, you might try pressing Tab a few times while racing until the personal best vs current time box comes up. That should tell you if your current lap time is good (not red) and getting recorded. If you hit anything or go off the track your lap won't be recorded.

Dilly

Banned
I could still improve, but whenever I do I mess up another sector.

I'm done, not going to bother with beating markao's time.

_machine

Oh for crying out loud, I've never had any major problems with the Dipper, but after watching that video I messed it up like ten times in a row and off course pretty much every one of those laps would've ended faster If the game hadn't invalidated them because of contact. I managed a 2:03 something with the pad though, so hopefully I can get close to under 2 minutes with a wheel then.

2:03.615 - Video

Some of you guys go flat out in sections I lift on. Hmm. I can probably get a 2:02.xxx but no more than that. I feel this is a somewhat respectable time so when I next try I'm going to thrash the fuck out of the car and try going flat out/drifting more like some of you do in the vids posted. Might find some time... or end up crashing terribly.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #6 - Gumpert Apollo @ Bathurst (Build 197)

Dilly - 1.57.514
Salacious Crumb - 1:59.229
Mad_Ban - 2:01.796 [pad]
Speech - 2:02.970 [pad]
Jibbed - 2:03.256 (video) [pad]
Foliorum Viridum - 2:03.615 (video)
_machine - 2:07.623 [pad]

_machine was on a pad and Lucius will definitely improve, so I'm going to slip in to last again soon!

Jibbed

2:03.615 - Video

Some of you guys go flat out in sections I lift on. Hmm. I can probably get a 2:02.xxx but no more than that. I feel this is a somewhat respectable time so when I next try I'm going to thrash the fuck out of the car and try going flat out/drifting more like some of you do in the vids posted. Might find some time... or end up crashing terribly.

Dilly - 1.57.514
Salacious Crumb - 1:59.229
Mad_Ban - 2:01.796
Speech - 2:02.970
Jibbed - 2:03.256 (video)
Foliorum Viridum - 2:03.615 (video)
_machine - 2:07.623

_machine was on a pad and Lucius will definitely improve, so I'm going to slip in to last again soon!

Could you possibly put 'wheel' or 'pad' next to the times? I'm using pad btw.

That's mental. I'm not convinced markao isn't part of the dev team with thousands of hours racked up, doing some elaborate viral marketing with his insane skills.

Polyphony

Crazy lap, makes it look so smooth.

I'm not convinced markao isn't a real driver or a machine.

Fettel vs Fauxlonso would be awesome.

Top Bottom