• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Polyphony

here it is:

Interesting... I set up my gear ratios the opposite way since I never reached the limiter on 6th down the straights.

But now that I think about it, most of the time is made from the middle section of the track. Did you lengthen the gear ratios in 2nd, 3rd and 4th to keep the engine in its powerband in the uphill/downhill sections of the track? What methodology do you use to adjust them?

markao

Interesting... I set up my gear ratios the opposite way since I never reached the limiter on 6th down the straights.

But now that I think about it, most of the time is made from the middle section of the track. Did you lengthen the gear ratios in 2nd, 3rd and 4th to keep the engine in its powerband in the uphill/downhill sections of the track? What methodology do you use to adjust them?
6th for max rev just before highest speed, in this case almost, as I had to compromise for long 3rd/4th see below. Meaning the "final gear" one tick lower and my 3rd /4th gear became just to short for my liking (having to shift just before 1st corner for example)

2nd gear (aka lowest gear) set-up to be able to accelerate out of slow(est) corner on a track, sometimes you use 1st (longer), but no need for that on Bathurst.

Other gears, see if you have to switch gears just before a corner, one click longer could help. Are there corners, you feel are really important for a good laptime, see if you can set-up your gearing for that.

So for Bathurst:
3rd gear for second corner, quick uphill right. Was in between 3/4, I choose long 3rd gear.
4 th gear for that quick part on the top of the hill (left handers), do not want to shift there, you want all your focus on the track, a long 4th gear helped with that.

Perfectly I would love my 3rd/4th one click longer, but with the available options, this was the best I could find (otherwise I needed to up the "final gear" setting and that slowed the car down to much.

Polyphony

6th for max rev just before highest speed, in this case almost, as I had to compromise for long 3rd/4th see below. Meaning the "final gear" one tick lower and my 3rd /4th gear became just to short for my liking (having to shift just before 1st corner for example)

2nd gear (aka lowest gear) set-up to be able to accelerate out of slow(est) corner on a track, sometimes you use 1st (longer), but no need for that on Bathurst.

Other gears, see if you have to switch gears just before a corner, one click longer could help. Are there corners, you feel are really important for a good laptime, see if you can set-up your gearing for that.

So for Bathurst:
3rd gear for second corner, quick uphill right. Was in between 3/4, I choose long 3rd gear.
4 th gear for that quick part on the top of the hill (left handers), do not want to shift there, you want all your focus on the track, a long 4th gear helped with that.

Perfectly I would love my 3rd/4th one click longer, but with the available options, this was the best I could find (otherwise I needed to up the "final gear" setting and that slowed the car down to much.

Perfect explanation, thanks. Yeah for the 2nd corner, I was unsure about the gearing at first. Staying in 4th was too slow for re-acceleration out of the corner, but I was also losing speed going down to 3rd. Lengthening 3rd makes perfect sense now.

I had 3rd set up shorter initially and I had to switch between 4th and 5th quite often in the middle section of the track. Not the best idea...

mclaren777

I've had numerous conversations with people over the last few months about the upper management of pCARS and how they've handled criticism. Many of these people have tracked me down on Youtube or other forums and they all share something in common with me: they were all kicked out of pCARS. The most recent individual shared a couple of videos, which I've included below because I think he has a valid point.

I noticed this axis-pivoting behavior back when pCARS first launched and I've also noticed it in markao's recent videos. The vehicles in pCARS almost seem to have mismatched tire compounds – overly grippy in the rear, not as grippy in the front. And I personally don't buy Ian's explanation that the rev limiter is what causes this issue because the driver wasn't pegging the tach in the first video.

GAF, what are you thoughts on this? I think most of us agree that I brought my ejection on myself, but this guy had a valid complaint and he seems to have demonstrated it in a reasonable way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAY5fIT0Yr4
pCARSaudi.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZS5JoymRoM
pCARSformulaB.gif

ibfXtF4Ah4x4Jx.png

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #6 - Gumpert Apollo @ Bathurst (Build 197)

markao - 1.57:220 (video)
Dilly - 1.57.514
Salacious Crumb - 1:59.229
Metalmurphy - 2:01'611 (video)
Frawdder - 2:01.681
Mad_Ban - 2:01.796 [pad]
Speech - 2:01.990 [pad]
Three60 - 2:02.311
magawolaz - 2:02.565 [pad]
Arucardo - 2:02.634
Polyphony - 2:02.976
Jibbed - 2:03.256 (video) [pad]
Foliorum Viridum - 2:03.615 (video)
Lucius86 - 2:03.642 (video)
_machine - 2:07.623 [pad]

This is really heating up. I love that we're back to this sort of interest - good work, GAF!

I might try markao's setup but the other ones I've "borrowed" didn't suit my driving style at all. I might change my gears to match his at the very least.

You know, after playing so much of this in the last 24 hours it felt weird to drive my actual, real life car earlier when I went to get petrol, ha.

mclaren777

Feels like a constant barrage of drama in here.

I don't mean to add to the drama, but pCARS is equal parts software and development process. They're inextricably linked, so talking about that bizarre physics phenomenon is equally as valid as talking about the way it's being handled by the developers.

Besides, somebody needs to break the Dilly vs. markao tension in here. ;)

Just how "many" is many?

2-3 people have reached out to me via Youtube/forums and I've bumped into 1-2 others on my own.

I don't mean to add to the drama, but pCARS is equal parts software and development process. They're inextricably linked, so talking about that bizarre physics phenomenon is equally as valid as talking about the way it's being handled by the developers.

Besides, somebody needs to break the Dilly vs. markao tension in here. ;)

2-3 people have reached out to me via Youtube/forums and I've bumped into 1-2 others on my own.

Just did some tests of my own and that's not how the cars behave. He was testing builg 143 so...

_machine

Oh no that shit again...

Yes, there are/were some problems with excess self-centering torque as BenC said too, most of which seem to have been fixed and most of it was a placebo from the old camera, but that doesn't mean that going all "here's a video, this is wrong because I haven't found a youtube video that looks exactly like my example so the game is totally arcade". He had a fair point, illustrated it poorly and got on the devs nerves a bit and eventually acted childish and rude so he got refunded. Ian misquoted on the rev-limiter post though; it was directed to another person and had little to do with the self-centering. He was never banned because he pointed a flaw; it was because he was rude and un-helpful towards the devs. I still think there's something off with the front tires though; they do seem let go too easily and the back-end doesn't do it as easily.

...anyway, just put a few dozen laps, failing to get a single time because I kept bumping into the wall. Still, managed a 2:03 so when I get around setting up my wheel, maybe we'll some proper time's from here :)

markao

I have had numerous conversations with people over the last few months about the upper management of pCARS and how they've handled criticism. Many of these people have tracked me down on Youtube or other forums and they all share something in common with me: they were all kicked out of pCARS. The most recent individual shared a couple of videos, which I've included below because I think he has a valid point.

I noticed this axis-pivoting behavior back when pCARS first launched and I've also noticed it in markao's recent videos. The vehicles in pCARS almost seem to have mismatched tire compounds – overly grippy in the rear, not as grippy in the front. And I personally don't buy Ian's explanation that the rev limiter is what causes this issue because the driver wasn't pegging the tach in the first video.

GAF, what are you thoughts on this? I think most of us agree that I brought my ejection on myself, but this guy had a valid complaint and he seems to have demonstrated it in a reasonable way.

Really McLaren, dig up few months old shit to make a point? With behaviour that since the first tire updates, few months back has been mostly addressed. And for your info, the guy, WIP, was not banned for talking about physics issues, but the way he behaved himself in doing so, even after being warned multiple times.

There is no pivot point turning, might be just the lower FOV from cockpit view and or the position of it (further to the back in some cars) that might give that impression, as you can verify by looking at any "track camera view" (as in no such behaviour). Is the game (physics) perfect at were it is, no IMHO, but there are still 14 months left up until game release and seeing the progress that has been made so far, I have no doubt that is still a lot to come.

And on a side note, I asked myself this a few times, but why is it impossible for you to just leave this game alone, if you do not like it, instead of the constant negative undertone in almost every post. I mean you seem to be perfectly be capable of normal posts in the the other PC sim related treads?

mclaren777

And on a side note, I asked myself this a few times, but why is it impossible for you to just leave this game alone, if you do not like it?

I'm hoping that the modding community embraces pCARS and redirects the project after its launch. I think it's possible for pCARS to end up having a more realistic feel, but it's clear at this point that SMS won't be going down that route for the retail version, so I'm hoping that the community will ultimately give me what I want – the content of pCARS with the physics of its competitors.

You mean on the official leaderboard?

Post it here and I'll add it to our table. Just screenshot it or something :)

Edit: Providing the car/track is the same in whatever build you have.

mclaren777

guess I can't post laptimes if I am only a junior member

That's because the Apollo might be an updated version or the track surface might be different somehow. It's anybody's guess it those changes will hurt or help your placement, but if Foliorum Viridum is cool with it, just post a screenshot.

And on a side note, I asked myself this a few times, but why is it impossible for you to just leave this game alone, if you do not like it, instead of the constant negative undertone in almost every post. I mean you seem to be perfectly be capable of normal posts in the the other PC sim related treads?

He's the crazy girlfriend that just won't go away. Thankfully, I'm pretty sure everybody recognizes that.

markao's setup is helping me but I can't put a clean lap together. I think it's a sign I've played it too much today. Maybe tomorrow night I can pump out a better time!

He's the crazy girlfriend that just won't go away. Thankfully, I'm pretty sure everybody recognizes that.

1tcxth.jpg

;)

Has made GAF better for me for weeks. The only downside is some people still quote him.

markao

markao's setup is helping me but I can't put a clean lap together. I think it's a sign I've played it too much today. Maybe tomorrow night I can pump out a better time!

1tcxth.jpg

;)

Has made GAF better for me for weeks. The only downside is some people still quote him.
In general, I have no problem reading McLaren's posts/opinion, but it is clear to me, also reading his latest post, he has no believe this will turn out in to something he likes. So I'm just surprised he just not let it go for a while and checks in later if something has been changed. But hey, each person has his own way of doing things I guess.

When it comes to hotlapping, it definitely helps if you do not try to do lap after lap for a long time. Just do a few laps, watch a replay, read a thread on GAF and try again after 10/15 minutes and repeat. It's like whit everything you do, you will stop picking up/learning things if you keep on going and going and going ......

I generally do my best laps after about half an hour. I put on a good album/podcast and just do lap after lap. When I feel like I'm in my groove I restart and put in 4/5 laps to try and get a good time. If I don't do it I do as you say and take a break for a bit etc :)

Lucius86

Banned
Awesome to see so many participants in this weeks time trial, can't wait to get home on Friday and hopefully improve my time.

Now F1 2011 GAF is winding down as the season reaches its conclusion, we need something else to move onto - and it looks like it will be this!

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #6 - Gumpert Apollo @ Bathurst (Build 197)

Dilly - 1.57.514
Salacious Crumb - 1:58.360 (video)
Polyphony - 1:59.649
Speech - 2:00.345 [pad]
Jibbed - 2:00.820 (video) [pad]
Lucius86 - 2:01:674 (video)

There's 48 hours exactly until the deadline is up. I wonder if we'll get any new entrants that will shake it up!

markao

Can you get any track records to save at all? I'm also junior member and no lap times are being saved for me on any track. Kind of makes the game pointless but i'm not sure if i'm prepared to upgrade just yet.
The reason you can not upload best times at the moment, is because you need build 197, or higher. (latest Jr build is 192)
Once every few weeks, when changes have been done to tracks/cars (physics), they wipe the leaderboard clean. The only way to keep everyone on the same level, is by only allowing new builds to update times.

Curious if they will wipe the boards clean again this week, with the changes done to the differentials on most cars.

The reason you can not upload best times at the moment, is because you need build 197, or higher. (latest Jr build is 192)
Once every few weeks, when changes have been done to tracks/cars (physics), they wipe the leaderboard clean. The only way to keep everyone on the same level, is by only allowing new builds to update times.

Curious if they will wipe the boards clean again this week, with the changes done to the differentials on most cars.

I can understand that, but i don't get why it doesn't atleast save lap times locally. Why should i need the latest build if i only want to compete with my own lap times? Guess i'll have to upgrade because right now the game is kind of pointless for me.

Arucardo

Dilly - 1.57.514
Salacious Crumb - 1:58.360 (video)
Polyphony - 1:59.649
Speech - 2:00.345 [pad]
Jibbed - 2:00.820 (video) [pad]
Lucius86 - 2:01:674 (video)

There's 48 hours exactly until the deadline is up. I wonder if we'll get any new entrants that will shake it up!

Only 48? Extend it by 6 hours so I can put in a better time? ;) I can't be losing to all these gamepads D: .

I can understand that, but i don't get why it doesn't atleast save lap times locally. Why should i need the latest build if i only want to compete with my own lap times? Guess i'll have to upgrade because right now the game is kind of pointless for me.
With the rate we're getting changes, updates, and car/track additions it's totally worth it. Even more so if you're planning on buying this in the end anyway.

With the rate we're getting changes, updates, and car/track additions it's totally worth it. Even more so if you're planning on buying this in the end anyway.

I currently don't have a wheel and i don't have time to put more than a few hours a week on this right now. That's why i went with junior for now. I'm just a bit surprised that the game does not save my lap times, i took for granted i was missing something until i saw i was not the only one having the problem. I do intend putting more hours into this eventually but since i do not yet know whether i'm going to buy this or not i'd rather wait with the upgrade.

Guess i'm starting my own leaderboard in notepad :)

Dilly

Banned
The leaderboards got reset last week, which is a build Juniors have no acces too. My guess is that you guys will be able to use the leaderboards just fine when you have the new monthly build.

Top Bottom