• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

2:12.333

Probably last try. I also ditched 6th. Doesn't seem necessary on a track where 2nd and 3rd are the most important gears.

By the way. Is it possible to record a winning lap and watch it later? I swear I've done it with a race but I can't seem to figure it out for TT.

There aren't replays for TTs yet. After getting my times down to where they should be, I switch to race mode and do a four lap race with zero AI, and then fraps the quickest replay lap.

My brother bought me a Driving Force GT. I'm loving it with pCars so far. It's quite the challenge getting used to a wheel when you're so used to a 360 controller. I also thought this huge pile upthat happened at the beginning of the race was pretty damn cool looking.

markao

I like how you just said the hell with 6th gear :)
Yeah, I wanted slightly longer second and only could get close to something close I wanted by lengthening the 5th. But I feel I gain slightly more from better second gear, hope we get Motec or something similar soon, so we don't have to guess those things ;)

I forgot to add my set-up, few things changed, mainly gear and more turn in (oversteer)

And nothing wrong with a few overpowered road cars, cockpits already look stunning, hope we get them in game soon.

markao

The Zonda R is coming tomorrow.
Ah nice

Was one of the more fun cars to drive in the original Shift, so it should be ok. I do hope the next step in the FFB development make the cars a little more "predictable" to drive. I really liked driving the Caterham, but the FFB (oscillation) just makes it a tad more harder then it should be. I would love to slide it a just little more, but controlling it never felt really good.

_machine

Hopefully tomorrow's new FFB hits home even if it has some temporary problems. I really like the customisability, though I'm really happy with the current FFB on Momo.

Here's what AJ had say about current physics development:
Andrew Webber said:
Yes, the dynamic tread upon the current model is still on the table if the force space approach does not work out. The force space hack is on the short list to get more attention, especially now that the FFB is there to feel it better from a dev point of view.

Can't wait to try the Zonda tomorrow; it was one of the best cars in both Shifts and a simply stunning car. Too bad I didn't have time to participate in this week's TT challenge, but it's nice to see newcomers join us :)

desu

Finally 2:16.033

Man too bad that my driving is so inconsistent, lost at least 1.2s in the middle/end =/.

Anyway enjoyed the track/car combination more than I thought I would!

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #7 - Caterham Superlight R500 @ Moravia (Build 202)

image.php

1. markao - 2.09:993 (video)
2. Big Takeover - 2:11.033 (video)
3. Dilly - 2.11.567

Salacious Crumb - 2:11.633
PjotrStroganov - 2:12.101
Arucardo - 2:12.464
Mad_Ban - 2:12.559 [pad]
Foliorum Viridum - 2:13.769 (video)
fresquito - 2:14.432
Orgun - 2:14.731
Lach - 2:15.199
magawolaz - 2:15.807 [pad]
desu - 2:16.033
weallstink - 2:17.406
felipepl - 2:22:000

Previous weeks:
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #4 - Formula A @ California Raceway (Build 189)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #5 - Leonus F77 @ Bologna (Build 192)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #6 - Gumpert Apollo @ Bathurst (Build 197)

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #8 - Formula B @ Besos (Build 207)

This week it's a much faster car picked by fresquito! Catalunya is a wonderful track, so I hope that we'll have a lot of tight competition here.

Catalunya is the track where I became GAF Champ in the F1 2011 league, so you boys better watch out!

_machine

Career Plan for pCars
Andy Garton said:
Hi guys, as discussed elsewhere I've just moved this thread into the member forum - it forms the early part of the career/car structure design discussion. None of the so far unannounced cars mentioned should be taken as definite inclusions, but nevertheless they give you a good idea of the proposed approach. There's also nothing to say other cars/classes won't be added, lots more licensing work to come
The proposed list includes stuff like VW Scirocco Cup, VW Golf Cup, FIA GT4 & GT3, DTM, BTCC, NZ V8. The career itself looks fantastic aswell, pretty much like a real driver's career with team offers and real progression.

More detailed possible Car/Class map by Casey

As someone who is bored of the GT/Forza career, it sounds kinda interesting.

Like I said on the last page I'm not really in this for the SP, but if it turns out good it will be a nice distraction from being pummeled in races by markao, I suppose!

Dilly

Banned
As someone who is bored of the GT/Forza career, it sounds kinda interesting.

Like I said on the last page I'm not really in this for the SP, but if it turns out good it will be a nice distraction from being pummeled in races by markao, I suppose!

Just so you know, I am a very consistent racer!

I'd be very amazed if they pull off such a career, loved that sort of progression in TRD3.

Wasn't in a championship then! :p

True, but you are in our hearts. That's why I bug you on Steam every week without fail to join us!

I was going to give the Zonda a quick go but since it's a full build this week I'll wait until Sunday, I think. I really do want to give it a spin around the coast!

Dilly

Banned
True, but you are in our hearts. That's why I bug you on Steam every week without fail to join us!

I was going to give the Zonda a quick go but since it's a full build this week I'll wait until Sunday, I think. I really do want to give it a spin around the coast!

You always manage to ask me when I'm eating, weirdly enough.

Someone let me live vicariously through you and do a lap of the coast. 7 minutes of driving bliss in the Zonda I bet.

I'm starting the download of the build now... this might take a while...

Why are they moving?

pCARSzondavents.gif

Because they want you to nitpick on something.

Move at all, because lots of things move in a car while driving ?

Or why are they moving like that? Then it would be first pass of car in game, animation will no doubt be looked at over time, as it's done with all other cars.

Shouldn't be moving at all tbh, it's completely connected to the dash. But seriously... nitpicking much?

Also, sorry for not setting a lap time on the combo I myself chose -.- As I said many times before, it's not easy moving my PC/cockpit around.

desu

newinfoualy9.jpg

I just noticed that you can now see what kind of setup (controller, assists, driving model, cam ...) a player used (the set of icons).

Strange that they also show what camera you use, since you can change them on the fly. I wonder at what points it counts, the start, the end, the one you were with the longest?

I just asked a simple question – don't be so defensive.

Who are you trying to fool exactly? Cause it certainly ain't me. No one bothers to make a gif just to ask "a simple question". Your act got old way back when you got banned on the GT5 thread for doing the exact same thing, only on that time it was a lighting switch of exactly one frame. Start pointing stuff like that on rFactor and maybe people will start looking at your drive by trollings a bit differently.

mclaren777

No one bothers to make a gif just to ask "a simple question".

Wow, you really are quite defensive. Perhaps with a little bit of confirmation bias tossed in for good measure.

It was a genuine question. I have no way of knowing if it's a flaw (as you seem to suggest) or an asset (the vents on the Zonda R really do move). And GIFs are super-easy to make so it's not like it required much effort.

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, you really are quite defensive. Perhaps with a little bit of confirmation bias tossed in for good measure.

It was a genuine question. I have no way of knowing if it's a flaw (as you seem to suggest) or an asset (the vents on the Zonda R really do move). And GIFs are super-easy to make so it's not like it required much effort.
I'm trying not to be a jerk -- but the only thing you commented on from the entire 1:15 minute video was to take the time to make a GIF out of a youtube video (I don't even know how to do that), clipping a certain segment in the middle of the screen at that, and upload it somewhere. :/ Did you have any other comments about the video? It looks like an asset bug, or maybe a feature. We'd have to ask on the CARS forums to be sure.

My guess is that on the actual Zonda R (judging from Top Gear videos) they are (sometimes?) part of the dashboard, but in the CARS model they may be connected to the engine and thus can move independently.

So now I'm biased towards pCARS? Oh well, at least we're changing it a bit. Was getting tiresome being labelled as biased towards GT5.

@Blizzard, it's an asset bug, or if they did it intentionally then they shouldn't have. Doesn't happen on the real car.

Dilly

Banned
About the TT of this week.

Because of the reworked sections of Besos at the time, the cut detection is wrong at the hairpin. Maybe it's better if we pick another track for this week?

Dibbz

What is the FFB like in the new build? I've still got an hour to go to finish downloading it. Is it much improved?

desu

Because of the reworked sections of Besos at the time, the cut detection is wrong at the hairpin. Maybe it's better if we pick another track for this week?

I was about to post that I wouldn't really put much time into this weeks TT due to the track being messed up.

Cut detection seems to be off at quite some places, worst one is the really tight left curve at about 2/3 (possibly the one you meant?). In an earlier attempt I had like 2-3 seconds off my time and when I got there my time got invalidated even though I stayed on the track.

yeahzixxi.jpg

It's been that way for a while. I totally forgot to say something. It's pretty much unusable for TTs right now.

Top Bottom