• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Arucardo

Ohhh, nice! Should be able to put down a fairly decent lap this week. Sadly once again I didn't get a chance to improve my time before the deadline on Friday.

Blizzard

Banned
Well I'm downloading the latest build, but it's literally a 13-hour process or so. =( Maybe I should just wait for Saturday in the future.

malyce

Got my self a junior account a few hours ago, downloaded and installed, played around for a few minutes. Couldn't quite get the track layout for the 8th week challenge right, kept telling my i cut the track so my lap time wouldn't count... i need gps :( I took the zonda around C.Hill and managed a 1'30.680, with the stock setup. Really loving it so far, a bit of fresh air form GT5. The FFB could use some work though, but i haven't really messed with the settings yet.

kafiend

Got my self a junior account a few hours ago, downloaded and installed, played around for a few minutes. Couldn't quite get the track layout for the 8th week challenge right, kept telling my i cut the track so my lap time wouldn't count... i need gps :( I took the zonda around C.Hill and managed a 1'30.680, with the stock setup. Really loving it so far, a bit of fresh air form GT5. The FFB could use some work though, but i haven't really messed with the settings yet.

Assume you are talking about this?

About the TT of this week.

Because of the reworked sections of Besos at the time, the cut detection is wrong at the hairpin. Maybe it's better if we pick another track for this week?

A new track was picked.

Ohh, interesting choice!

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #8 - Formula B @ Monterey (Build 207)

Glad you having fun BTW :) I plugged my wheel in for the first time in a few weeks and had forgotten how great pCars is.

I'm no longer getting 60 fps again :/

I also can't get the game's window to focus.

*edit* Holycrap! What the hell is going on with the Zondas driving model? oO

Megasoum

Banned
Man the formula B is one tricky car to drive! It has like no grip...I'm spinning everywhere...

Anyway I love the track and the formula cars so I'll probably post a time.

Quick question, how do I toggle the telemetry? To see tire temp for example?

Man the formula B is one tricky car to drive! It has like no grip...I'm spinning everywhere...

Anyway I love the track and the formula cars so I'll probably post a time.

Quick question, how do I toggle the telemetry? To see tire temp for example?

Dpad on the wheel, C (i think) and tab on the keyboard.

I couldn't get into it either. To be fair, I've only done a few laps with it. I think it's partly because of the steering lock. I have to play with it some more.

Having said that. To the guys with 900° wheels, how have you calibrated the wheel?

Arucardo

I couldn't get into it either. To be fair, I've only done a few laps with it. I think it's partly because of the steering lock. I have to play with it some more.

Having said that. To the guys with 900° wheels, how have you calibrated the wheel?

Here's how I have it set on my fanatec: If you're using the fanatec drivers then be sure to lower the steering range from the wheel itself down to off (after you go lower from 270 I think it says off) set it to 900 degrees in the drivers (same thing if you're using the G25 drivers) and then just calibrate in game for the 900 degrees.

The 900 you calibrate in game is just the full range it can use and the actual maximum value is dependent on the car you're using, for example the FA won't use most of the 900 degrees. The thing you should do if you feel the stock setup is bad for you when it comes to steering is go in to the car setup and change the steering ratio.

For me most of the cars have felt fine when it comes to steering, but for example the Stock car really needs to be thrown around to get it in to a corner, much more steering required than I'm used to but it's fun.

I probably could've explained this a lot better in fewer sentences, but I just woke up and I haven't finished my coffee yet, heh.

Tnx for the explanation. The thing I found weird was the 'turn the wheel 90°' calibration. Is it just another way for the game to get an 1:1 input>output?

fresquito

I've given the TT a first go and I think I've made a good choice. I now know where turns go. I need to learn to take them properly :)

Arucardo

Tnx for the explanation. The thing I found weird was the 'turn the wheel 90°' calibration. Is it just another way for the game to get an 1:1 input>output?

Yeah, I tend to turn the wheel to exactly 900 even if it isn't exactly at 90 degrees. I'm not sure how much it effects it though.

malyce

Assume you are talking about this?

A new track was picked.

Glad you having fun BTW :) I plugged my wheel in for the first time in a few weeks and had forgotten how great pCars is.

Oh, I guess i missed that post. Thanks.

It's unrealistically grippy on the front tires and turns way too fast. Kinda like Dirt 3 shit physics. I had to check if driving aids were on or something.

Yeah, kinda weirded me out at first. I was expecting way more lift-off over steer, but i just chalked it up to the lack of FFB i was getting from the wheel. Felt totally different from how the zonda drives in GT5, but then again, if zonda handles irl like how it does in GT5 you'd be driving your own coffin.

Arucardo

1:08.031 for now after a few laps, should be able to shave half a second off, don't think I'll quite reach under 1:07 lap times.

Oh right, almost forgot. I think the FFB feels a bit soft or mushy right now, can't quite describe it. Only tried the Zonda and the FB so I'll have to try a car I'm more familiar with for a better comparison. Also, the Zonda sounds like it's understeering but it's going fine through corners, they probably have a bunch of work ahead with getting the physics right for the car.

Dilly

Banned
Quite the competent WR for FB at Laguna Seca.

Anyway, there's a slightly improved FFB .exe at WMD forums and upping the FFB strength to 90 makes it a lot better for me.

kafiend

1:08.299 Can't feel this car slipping away until its already gone.

Had a much much faster time in the bag as well before losing it coming out of the last corner. I hate that...

Arucardo

Hey Dilly, guess what? 1:06.932

I even messed up a corner slightly so there's a chance I could go for the WR, I'll try to do it tomorrow.

EDIT: Also a word of advice for anyone participating this week, the default setup for this car is rubbish and I strongly recommend adding a notch or two of front end downforce to make it turn better, the stock setup understeers like a mother 'effer. Just lighten the fuel load and add some front end downforce to make the car a lot more manageable.

Dilly

Banned
Nice one.

I've been busy with the Zonda R all weekend. Love me some GT cars! I hope more get added, because they are almost non-existant in current career outlining.

I'll update the table when I get home. Been crunching uni work this week - sorry!

I'm going to get in to DayZ as well tonight so not sure how many laps of this I'll be doing... I will submit a time though!

Just joined as team member. Looks like I'll need to put a legit racing wheel on my short list of things to buy to fully enjoy this eh? 360 pad for the time being :/

Loaded it up last night. 1440p, maxed out graphics settings, a nice smooth 50~60 fps depending on how many cars are on the screen.

Or quite simply put:

Ursdo.jpg

What I've found so far as far as bugs are a really weird FOV for the kart (virtually impossible to drive as it seems the driver is looking up the whole time???

Also, and it may be the skin I chose causing it, but the engine cover for the little BAC car isn't showing up? Just the engine exposed and floating brake lights up over it where the engine cover should be. Getting to see the engine close up though was a marvel. Individually rendered weld beads on the exhaust manifold?? LAWD!

Anyways, here's a quick couple of screen grabs. Playing around with the camera is pretty neat. I'd like to (if they don't already have this planned) see an actual UI for the camera controls like vignette amount, DOF/lens aperture, etc instead of relying on hot keys.

pIzPn.png

wPhPH.png

Hackbert

I don´t know when and with which build it happened, but i cannot understand, why i have 2-3 fps lately... the game ran like butter, but now .. ugh

my system :

Code:
DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 3200 MHz (8 x 400)
4096 MB  (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460  (1024 MB)

is my cpu the bottleneck? nearly 4 years of life-cycle.

_machine

My point is: if you're not happy with console hardware, nobody stops you from going PC.
True, but this comment from AJ caught my eye:
(regarding the possibly upcoming dynamic tread tire model)Consoles is a big question, although at a reduced resolution, but still effective, I think it would work there. The killer will be AI. The CPU cost is too high to expect more than one or two cars, including the player car, on lower end hardware. So we still need something dirt cheap, like the brush in there now, for at least AI, even if not consoles. And we need the models to correlate well, at least for basic steady state curves.
So CPU power on consoles is definitely a limiting factor in the physics department of those versions.

Arucardo

I don´t know when and with which build it happened, but i cannot understand, why i have 2-3 fps lately... the game ran like butter, but now .. ugh

my system :

Code:
DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 3200 MHz (8 x 400)
4096 MB  (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460  (1024 MB)

is my cpu the bottleneck? nearly 4 years of life-cycle.

Are you running the game in dx9 or 11?

_machine

Try disabling the 3DVision driver if you've got it. I remember it causing some major problems resulting in unplayable framerates.

Can anybody share their wheel settings with me? I have a Driving Force GT and I just can't figure what's best to use. 900 degrees seems like too much and I'm hesitant to touch all the other settings.

Top Bottom