• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus E3 2015

Grimløck;168769763 said:
gametrailers talking about morpheus now: http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers
Starts around 5:32:00, for those interested. Positive impressions overall.

They actually got a fairly good shot of the windscreen of the cockpit. I grabbed this.
Screenshot%202015-06-17%2023.04.23.png

That white wireframe provides the players with a fixed point of reference, helping to reduce motion sickness. That makes me wonder if standard HUD elements might accomplish the same. Rather than having the HUD elements maintain position relative to your head — moving as your head moves — have them maintain position relative to your torso, so you can turn to face directly at your ammo count or whatever.

Man

Pretty good video of Shu explaining Sony/PS4's take on VR [IGN]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZFtwHTdIQ&feature=youtu.be

Lots of footage from The London Heist: Getaway.
Mentions one strength of console VR being guarantee of framerate performance alongside plug & play.
Focusing on creating VR games from the ground up but sais some genres transfer over with minimal tweak like racing games. I know what to expect next year...

My reactions to Sony Project Morpheus at E3 2015

RIGS Impression: People are impressed by RIGS.

I got to play a game called Rigs, which puts you inside a giant robot (similar to Titan Fall). You get to walk around and shoot missiles, jump super high and run extremely fast. The whole point of the game is to collect a bunch of orbs and take them inside a goal. Other players will, of course, shoot you and try to stop you from accomplishing this, which is where the fun begins. It’s a super exciting game, and it only makes it all that better to enjoy it through a VR experience as advanced as Project Morpheus.

This was literally the best VR experience I have ever had (aside from the Virtual Boy… not!). It’s super immersive and takes you right into the battlefield. The experience was smooth and seamless, but I do have one complaint. This game, specifically, is a bit hard to get used to in terms of the controls. This is mostly because you aim by moving your head and it can be a bit too sensitive. It was a great time, nonetheless, and you get used to it in a few minutes.

http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-project-morpheus-reactions-e3-2015-617852/

Soi-Fong

I got to play a game called Rigs, which puts you inside a giant robot (similar to Titan Fall). You get to walk around and shoot missiles, jump super high and run extremely fast. The whole point of the game is to collect a bunch of orbs and take them inside a goal. Other players will, of course, shoot you and try to stop you from accomplishing this, which is where the fun begins. It’s a super exciting game, and it only makes it all that better to enjoy it through a VR experience as advanced as Project Morpheus.

This was literally the best VR experience I have ever had (aside from the Virtual Boy… not!). It’s super immersive and takes you right into the battlefield. The experience was smooth and seamless, but I do have one complaint. This game, specifically, is a bit hard to get used to in terms of the controls. This is mostly because you aim by moving your head and it can be a bit too sensitive. It was a great time, nonetheless, and you get used to it in a few minutes.

This seems to echo a lot of the sentiments regarding this game. That other than being awesome in VR, it has legs and is actually fun.

awesome to hear RIGS is great, it's probably one of my most anticipated VR games just from reading about it. can you explain how the control setup is. if you aim with your head, what does the right analog stick do?

is the control setup basically a typical shooter setup? with left analog stick to move and strafe, while right analog to rotate and look up/down?

I'm not sure if there is a general VR thread, but I thought this would be appropriate here..

Nintendo's Fils-Aime: Current state of VR isn't fun

"We have knowledge of the technical space, and we've been experimenting with this for a long, long time," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. "What we believe is that, in order for this technology to move forward, you need to make it fun and you need to make it social.

"I haven't walked the floor, so I can't say in terms of what's on the floor today, but at least based on what I've seen to date, it's not fun, and it's not social. It's just tech."

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/18/8803127/nintendos-fils-aime-current-state-of-vr-isnt-fun

Planet

Besides doing just PR, he is also utterly wrong. Rigs demonstrates multiplayer gaming, which could be called social, also it has been called fun by virtually anyone who actually has walked the floor.

Another example is Monster Escape, 4 DualShock vs 1 Morpheus, sounds social enough for me.

PR gibberish from a competitor who states that he hasn't demoed what's on the floor at E3 2015 is clearly appropriate in a thread titled, "Project Morpheus E3 2015."

Man

It seems like that gun accesory is not the old PS3 one but a new one designed for PS4 VR called 'Sharpshooter':

CHxkit9WIAAJNmm.jpg:large

iWaggle3D ‏@iWaggle3D 5h5 hours ago
In this other picture of the new SharpShooter you can see there is a an analog stick on the back as well.

More here: https://twitter.com/iWaggle3D

It seems like that gun accesory is not the old PS3 one but a new one designed for PS4 VR called 'Sharpshooter':

CHxkit9WIAAJNmm.jpg:large

iWaggle3D ‏@iWaggle3D 5h5 hours ago
In this other picture of the new SharpShooter you can see there is a an analog stick on the back as well.

More here: https://twitter.com/iWaggle3D
Isn't that the prototype Impulse Gear cobbled together for their demo?

Based on Luisi’s earlier work with the Sharpshooter, they 3D-printed a prototype combining Playstation Move and navigation controllers and the guts of a PS3 Dualshock 3 controller. The result offered aiming speed and accuracy that fit VR needs perfectly.

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/sony-morpheus/

Arstechnica write up for several Project Morpheus RIGS, Playroom, Wayward Sky, and Impulse Gear.

impulsegear.jpg

The VR game company recently featured in a Wired profile is trying to bring a full first-person shooter experience to the Morpheus headset. To do so, it has developed a prototype controller that holds a PlayStation Move wand in a form factor that looks like an assault rifle. One hand goes on the trigger while the other balances the gun from the front, with a thumbstick to control movement.

The result is a first-person game that decouples the directions you're moving, looking, and aiming from one another. If an enemy pops up to one side, you can start firing at him before you turn to get him fully centered in your view. If large spiders start biting at your legs, you can fire at your feet without staring at the ground.

Walking around in the VR environment while standing still in the real world wasn't as nauseating as I expected—something the designers attribute to the larger scale of the alien world. Still, holding the rifle controller out in front of me constantly was a recipe for shoulder pain, even in a short demo. Dodging behind rocky outcroppings and popping out to fire was also a little slow and awkward with the game's current control scheme. Still, I hope they work out the kinks—the promise of being able to play a full first-person shooter in VR without the threat of nausea is a tantalizing one.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...ject-morpheus-actual-vr-games-will-look-like/

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Pretty good video of Shu explaining Sony/PS4's take on VR [IGN]: [ul]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZFtwHTdIQ&feature=youtu.be[/url]

Lots of footage from The London Heist: Getaway.
Mentions one strength of console VR being guarantee of framerate performance alongside plug & play.
Focusing on creating VR games from the ground up but sais some genres transfer over with minimal tweak like racing games. I know what to expect next year...

Are you implying gt7? 0 percent chance.

The very small amount of time it got on stage was worrying, it seems like it'll be a big blowout at psx. RIGS looks awesome though.

I'm not worried. I think they either just weren't totally sure how to present it one stage, or were afraid of taking up too much time with it. The fact that they dedicated half their booth space to Morpheus shows their confident in the experience.

haxamin

Hey guys, I did some snooping around and came across this thread which claims that Guerrilla Cambridge is working on a multi-million selling franchise:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852856

Seeing as though RIGS is a new IP, can we assume that they have two teams, or are simultaneously working on two games?

A recent Gamespot video did say that they currently have only 70 employees..

Skyrise

Hi guys, wondering if some gaffers tried our Morpheus Futuridium VR demo here at E3, would love to hear some feedbacks!

Jachaos

RIGS sounds amazing. If the Morpheus launches with that, some of the other nice titles that have been showcased this week and support from War Thunder, it'll be a very nice launch for me.

Gran Turismo 7 would be the icing on the cake.

I was looking more detail on RIGS and apparently the right analog stick is left unused. all the aiming is done with head movement, as well as turning your mech. supposedly it work pretty well when you got used to it after a couple minutes, but I'm honestly a little bit disappointed. seems like it can totally be played even without morpheus by mapping head movement to right analog stick, didn't take advantage of head movement as separate input. you can't move forward and just use head movement to have a quick look to left or right etc.

I was looking more detail on RIGS and apparently the right analog stick is left unused. all the aiming is done with head movement, as well as turning your mech. supposedly it work pretty well when you got used to it after a couple minutes, but I'm honestly a little bit disappointed. seems like it can totally be played even without morpheus by mapping head movement to right analog stick, didn't take advantage of head movement as separate input. you can't move forward and just use head movement to have a quick look to left or right etc.

In one of the interviews with the developers they said they tried different configurations such as aiming with the right analog, but decided that aiming with your head actually worked way better. In theory I would agree with your disappointment, but if they said it was considerably better the current way, I'm inclined to trust them.

Afrikan

Starts around 5:32:00, for those interested. Positive impressions overall.

They actually got a fairly good shot of the windscreen of the cockpit. I grabbed this.
Screenshot%202015-06-17%2023.04.23.png

That white wireframe provides the players with a fixed point of reference, helping to reduce motion sickness. That makes me wonder if standard HUD elements might accomplish the same. Rather than having the HUD elements maintain position relative to your head — moving as your head moves — have them maintain position relative to your torso, so you can turn to face directly at your ammo count or whatever.

NO EXCUSE SONY! :mad:

tumblr_mslyw0WEFk1shus8eo1_500.gif

In one of the interviews with the developers they said they tried different configurations such as aiming with the right analog, but decided that aiming with your head actually worked way better. In theory I would agree with your disappointment, but if they said it was considerably better the current way, I'm inclined to trust them.

I thought they would make turning the mech around still with right analog while the head movement is left for fine aiming. wouldn't that give more impression that you're inside a mech/vehicle and I assume lead to less motion sickness problem. the way it's setup now, if you turn your head left and reach the edge of the sceen, the mech would turn left as well. I thought this would be more problematic for feeling motion sickness because your body turn even when you're not expecting a turn movement,

but I guess not, they must have tried separating the control before and feel this is better. in a way, this kinda felt like the PS3 fps game that support Move controller, like MAG. Socom and Resistance 3 and I do enjoy playing those with Move control

DJ88

kyser73

Very cool stuff. This makes me realize how awesome a true Tron game would be in VR. It needs to happen.

Gimme dem lightcycles & Recognisers...

Ah man, I'd love to see this - what would be even better would be a 'retro' level that faithfully reproduced the original movie's CGI.

Watching all those games and demos, I think I see where the problem with morpheus is. It's navigating through the game world.

When you are driving some kind of vehicle, there is no problem. In this situation you can just use the DS4 to control the vehicle and look around with morpheus. So it would be really easy to have enjoyable driving simulators, flight simulators, space games, karting games...

But in a fps, for example, how do you know where your gun is pointing if you are looking at your side, or looking behind? I can see a problem here trying to find the crosshair again. The solution found in rigs is using your head to aim, so the controls are basically the same as in traditional FPS but you just use morpheus to aim instead of using the right stick. Right now, I think this is the only working way to control an FPS with Morpheus.

In any other genre with 3rd person viewpoint, there isn't much you can do with Morpheus because if you have the freedom to look around, you are going to lose track of you character and it is just not going to feel right.

What do you think?

In my defense I must say this doesn't intend to be just destructive criticism. I think Morpheus has a lot of potential, and I think it just needs like 4 or 5 great games at launch to succeed, but I was thinking which kind of games would I consider killer apps for it and all I could come up with were flight simulators, driving games, etcetera.

Games I would like to play with morpheus would be Gran Turismo, star wars themed space simulator, something similar to steel battalion, something similar to Pilotwings (this would be great with Morpheus). But I think this product needs more varied experiences to succeed with the general public and not just be a vehicle simulator VR thing.

Ferrio

Banned
Evans and Healey weren't quite so cagey when I asked them if Dreams would be a Morpheus VR launch title. Though the pair wouldn't outright confirm it, Healey admits "it's an obvious thing to do." Adds Evans: "Let's just say Anton Mikhailov, who helped build the first ever Morpheus prototype, is at Molecule now. ... So I'll leave it at that."

Looks like Media Molecule's Dreams might be a Morpheus launch title.

Source

Top Bottom