• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus E3 2015

Does anyone know why EA was eager to support Kinect, but wants no parts of Morpheus? I know EA and MS play musical chairs when it comes to swapping Exec, but you at least think EA would explore VR as an option.

After looking at the OP and the presence that Morpheus had at E3. I definitely won't be getting a Morpheus. As expected the majority of the games will be smaller budget games that will get boring quite quickly. It's obvious developers don't want to put big resources on Morpheus as they won't be able to get enough return as the user base for Morpheus owners won't be as big. This is going to likely be another Move situation.
You do have a point somewhat but not for the reasons expressed.

One of the reasons for the lack of software you anticipate is due to the limitations of the PS4 platform. It would be very hard to reach the bar of the big games you like in a VR environment even if the big publishers wanted, the PS4 (i think) is not designed with VR in mind. It just needs higher specs.

In my case im always been interested in VR and was impressed with HMD's even when played in 320 resolution. So i would gladly take PS2/PS3 level of graphics fidelity in VR since it's quite more inmersive than any regular PS4 title would ever be.

Yea you're right, it's nothing like Move cause Move at least had some promise of AAA support at this point (Killzone) which on the face of it, suggested a solid chance of seeing third party support in other AAA shooters (though that obviously never materialized). His point is absolutely founded, Morpheus right now is just tech demos without anyone announcing/committing to even single or double A projects. This is concerning for a product that will be 3-4x more expensive than Move, and is supposedly releasing "early 2016".
i don't think you just add VR support to already existing games. While I'm sure it can be done, thats not what we will see with VR. Killzone adding lightgun support is absolutely nothing like adding VR support to the game. AAA support for VR is something more along the lines of the Rigs game or Eve Valkyrie. A game should be built from the ground up with VR in mind and so far it has seen more support than move ever has and it hasnt even released yet. Shit, there are more games available for Morpheus at launch so far then the PS4 had.

You do have a point somewhat but not for the reasons expressed.

One of the reasons for the lack of software you anticipate is due to the limitations of the PS4 platform. It would be very hard to reach the bar of the big games you like in a VR environment even if the big publishers wanted, the PS4 (i think) is not designed with VR in mind. It just needs higher specs.

In my case im always been interested in VR and was impressed with HMD's even when played in 320 resolution. So i would gladly take PS2/PS3 level of graphics fidelity in VR since it's quite more inmersive than any regular PS4 title would ever be.

From everything we have been told to the including of the lightbar on the DS4, the PS4 was designed with VR in mind.

From everything we have been told to the including of the lightbar on the DS4, the PS4 was designed with VR in mind.
Having a LED in the DS4 doesn't mean the PS4 is designed with VR in mind. That's like saying the X1 was designed with VR in mind since it had Kinect 2 out of the box or that the PS3 was designed with stereo 3D in mind. Sony is a trend follower not a trend setter, their strong point lies in that they are quick to adapt to such trends.

Anyway, i was talking about the processing abilities of the device. Speaking of which, it would have been rather cool and forward thinking for VR if they had made possible to link 2 PS4 consoles for dual rendering.

But what matters is that they have been making an exellent job with morpheus and what they have. i do wonder why they insist in supporting Move when they could come up with a more up to date solution for input in more inmersive VR games. Is not like if you are interested in MOrpheus in the first place you' ll refrain from buying one because it doesn't support your old move controller.

Does anyone know why EA was eager to support Kinect, but wants no parts of Morpheus? I know EA and MS play musical chairs when it comes to swapping Exec, but you at least think EA would explore VR as an option.

How much did EA really support Kinect? Other than them trying to jump on the exercise craze with Sports Active, wasn't it mostly just a bunch of games that had voice commands?

Hellshy.

Having a LED in the DS4 doesn't mean the PS4 is designed with VR in mind. That's like saying the X1 was designed with VR in mind since it had Kinect 2 out of the box or that the PS3 was designed with stereo 3D in mind. Sony is a trend follower not a trend setter, their strong point lies in that they are quick to adapt to such trends.

Anyway, i was talking about the processing abilities of the device. Speaking of which, it would have been rather cool and forward thinking for VR if they had made possible to link 2 PS4 consoles for dual rendering.

But what matters is that they have been making an exellent job with morpheus and what they have. i do wonder why they insist in supporting Move when they could come up with a more up to date solution for input in more inmersive VR games. Is not like if you are interested in MOrpheus in the first place you' ll refrain from buying one because it doesn't support your old move controller.

Sony has said themselves ps4 was designed with VR in mind anf the light bar was very much apart of that idea. I believe it has even been said they were thinking ahead when they designed move controllers which is why they went with a very low latency. I do agree they should revise move but probably won't to keep cost down.

DualShock 4 Light Bar Created For Project Morpheus

The DualShock 4 was designed from the start in order to work with Sony's VR headset Project Morpheus, according to SCEE senior designer Jed Ashforth.

Speaking to TechRadar, Ashforth revealed the light bar was included because of the development of Project Morpheus, though the secretive nature of the headset caused issues when complaints about the bar started to flood in.

“The tracking light… it was our department that said we need that on,” said Ashforth. “It was for tracking for VR, and when all these things were coming out six months ago and everyone was going ‘it’s reflecting in my TV,’ we were going ‘oh no’ because we couldn’t tell anyone what it was for.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Morpheus_(virtual_reality)

In early 2014, Sony Computer Entertainment research and development engineer Anton Mikhailov said his team had been working on Project Morpheus for more than three years. According to Mikhailov, the PlayStation 3 Move peripheral, itself revealed in June 2009, was designed with unspecified, future head-mounted technology in mind. "[W]e specced it and built it to be a VR controller, even though VR wasn’t a commodity. As engineers, we just said it was the right thing to do. [...] At the time, we didn't have a consumer-grade project that we could work on, but it was definitely designed with that vision in mind."[5] Shuhei Yoshida, the president of Sony's worldwide studios, also said the project started as "grassroots" activity among engineers and programmers, which came into focus in 2010 once the Move controller had been released.[6]

i don't think you just add VR support to already existing games. While I'm sure it can be done, thats not what we will see with VR.

What I think will happen, especially early on, is that the assets of existing games will be repurposed for a VR experience.

I think the use of VR in games will have a much larger impact than the graphical quality (beyond a certain minimum threshold) in determining how good a game is for the next couple of year. While graphical quality is nice, the bigger questions that need to be solved are things like how to handle movement, and what game types work best in VR. As it stands, we don't know what the killer app will be for VR. If someone solves that problem yet has to do it with Minecraft level graphics, it's still going to be a killer app.

DavidDesu

Speaking of graphics, Media Molecule and Yoshida have both hinted heavily that Dreams is a Morpheus title. Probably not exclusively a VR game, but it certainly looks far better suited to VR than a flat display, considering you're 3D sculpting. If Morpheus can run games looking like Dreams then we're fine.

Rigs looks good too. As does The Heist. Even Battlezone looks cool. To discuss graphics right now is missing the point of VR. We can certainly focus on graphics in the following generation, and until then PC gamers with a lot of money to spend can maybe try out a few games designed for super high end VR. Fact is the majority of developers will be targeting Morpheus level on PC and console. They're not that far apart.

The immersion will make concerns of photo real flashy graphics a moot point for some time to come. What is being done on PS4 right now, on a closed system where everyone is guaranteed a good experience, is surprisingly impressive given some concerns that we should expect absolutely nothing worthwhile from Morpheus. People are being seriously impressed by it so far be it Rigs, The Heist or the Kitchen.

Planet

Sony is a trend follower not a trend setter, their strong point lies in that they are quick to adapt to such trends.
Sony planned to innovate the console market with CD based medium, which was belittled by many in the beginning, because of the loading times, and the assumed lack of benefit for gameplay. Even Sega initially planned on releasing the Saturn with a module slot only. Sony had those plans since the SNES days, so don't count intermediate devices like 3DO, this was driven by Sony.

So Nintendo invented the gamepad with analogue stick for the N64, yes? But why oh why did they internally limit it to a star shaped form, so that you basically still could only use it 8-ways? Sony not only gave their analogue stick 360° freedom, they put 2 on it, which proved very usefull. They weren't the first, but they were the first to do it right - which I don't count as simply "following trends". The first implementation of a light bulb also wasn't the end of innovation in that area.

There is more, but discussing it is probably pointless.

Speaking of graphics, Media Molecule and Yoshida have both hinted heavily that Dreams is a Morpheus title. Probably not exclusively a VR game, but it certainly looks far better suited to VR than a flat display, considering you're 3D sculpting. If Morpheus can run games looking like Dreams then we're fine.

Tales from my arse regarding Dreams :

You can sculpt in VR/Morpheus, but playing it is probably only for regular screens.

Lionheart

If you compare the specs of the PS4 Camera to the specs of the Kinect camera, you'll see that one is very suitable for VR and the other isn't. You could say all of it (including the LED in the DS4) is a coincidence, but I don't believe so.

hesido

You can sculpt in VR/Morpheus, but playing it is probably only for regular screens.

I think that's how it would launch, too. I don't think they would let user created games for VR just yet. Initially Morpheus play would have to be strictly controlled.

Alx

How much did EA really support Kinect? Other than them trying to jump on the exercise crazy with Sports Active, wasn't it mostly just a bunch of games that had voice commands?

Yeah I don't remember EA having a specific support of kinect, they did use some of its features ingame, but that came mostly "free" (or at least at a low development cost), since it's a standard feature. While designing a game for VR is much more complex, and for a crowd that is yet to be estimated.

If you compare the specs of the PS4 Camera to the specs of the Kinect camera, you'll see that one is very suitable for VR and the other isn't. You could say all of it (including the LED in the DS4) is a coincidence, but I don't believe so.

Technicall I think the PS4 camera was more designed with AR in mind, the kind you see in Move party games. Hence the two cameras, one can do fast tracking of the orbs (low exposure and reduced resolution for faster framerate), while the other can capture an image with optimal quality to display. Reliable tracking is also useful for VR indeed and they certainly had it in mind when designing it, but if they had been looking for a pure VR solution, they would probably have chosen IR cameras to track "invisible" markers (like Oculus Rift does).

Seanspeed

Banned

If the game/whatever it is came with some basic performance analysis tools,there would be no reason to not have VR 'play'. It would be tragic not to have it, honestly. At the very least, the ability to download and look around somebody's 3d space would be interesting. And some basic interaction shouldn't be a big step from that.

In the recent Media Molecule interview they mentioned in response to a Morpheus question that Anton Michielov (sp?) now worked for them and he created the first Morpheus prototype - it seemed a heavy hint that they were heading that way.

dumbo

The short answer is that Microsoft paid them to use kinect (or more likely gave them free advertising/lower platform fees for software that was 'better with kinect').

If there's a commercial opportunity to make money with Morpheus/VR, then EA will eventually take it.

However, I think EA are more aligned with Microsoft - and I would expect to see more casual titles/AR focus than VR from EA.

bj00rn_

Banned
If you compare the specs of the PS4 Camera to the specs of the Kinect camera, you'll see that one is very suitable for VR and the other isn't.

Now compare the principle of each and Kinect would win by a landslide because it would make wonders better presence. But of course latency is still king, so in practice Kinect just doesn't work unfortunately. A combination of motion controllers and low latency Kinect tracking would be amazing..

Michael Murray (Game designer@TEKKEN Project, Yokohama)
‏@mykeryu
Just read a review on a particular site about Summer Lesson. Although it might not be your thing, it's definitely not how he wrote.
Michael Murray
‏@mykeryu
The massive leaps in reasoning leads me to believe, the issues are his own, snd not the game's. Pretty irresponsible journalism , man.

Presumably in reference to this Gizmodo hit piece

http://gizmodo.com/i-ogled-a-school...2391186#_ga=1.206559251.1036943575.1419283387

Maybe not. I got this tweet from Alex about a year ago:
MM%20Secret%20Project.png

Although, I suppose you could still be right, and the VR will only be for sculpting. lol That said, I'm guessing VR will be optional, whether sculpting or playing.

If the game/whatever it is came with some basic performance analysis tools,there would be no reason to not have VR 'play'. It would be tragic not to have it, honestly. At the very least, the ability to download and look around somebody's 3d space would be interesting. And some basic interaction shouldn't be a big step from that.
The LittleBigPlanet games already had a very crude system. Basically, there was a thermometer that filled up as you added content to your level. Some stuff would fill it a lot, and other stuff, not so much. They could easily do something similar in Dreams. Also, there may be certain effects which are simply unavailable or limited when viewing in VR.

I don't see any point in letting you create in VR, but not play things in VR. If Dreams is a Morpheus title I believe it'll be Morpheus all the way.

There's a positive writeup of Futuridium VR from VRFocus:

MixedBag has made some smart choices here to make this version of the title much more comfortable and surprisingly more engaging. The first and most obvious of these changes is the switch to a first-person mode, putting players in the cockpit of their craft. It’s at first a little jarring to sit inside this blocky spaceship and not be able to see your body, but it’s soon forgotten when heading out into battle. It’s here that the VR support really proves its worth, both on a mechanical level as well as on an immersive one.

Crucially, the animation for the 180 degree turn has been removed in favour of an instant cut to directly behind the player. It’s not the most ideal solution as it momentarily breaks presence, but finishing one run and then preparing yourself for the transition as you press square proves much more comfortable than the alternative. With that potential problem dealt with, it’s much easier to dive into Futuridium VR with the kind of confidence that seasoned players of the original will possess.
Head-tracking brings some fresh twists and turns to the Futuridium experience, then, but it’s the 3D visuals that really help bring the experience to life. One of the many movie scenes that thousands will have dreamed about actually experiencing for themselves is the climactic Death Star trench run from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. That claustrophobic, skin-of-your-teeth feeling is well realised here, as some levels include labyrinthine courses that players must weave around in order to find stray cubes. Quick reactions are key in these environments, and VR incites a much more physically response from the player.

Scraping alongside a wall remarkably causes you to naturally lean slightly away from it, while narrowly dodging a pillar or missile triggers involuntary head-ducking and throwing yourself from side-to-side. It’s VR in its purest sense; believing that this danger really is right in front of you and having a very human reaction to avoiding that threat.
http://vrfocus.com/archives/18009/preview-futuridium-vr-on-project-morpheus/

I don't know if we have seen TrackMania in VR in this thread, if not here's some footage of the game. Not in VR of course but from the social screen. Looks good, don't know the language of the guy, if anyone would like to translate feel free.

Thanks to @Machine head
It's Brazilian Portuguese =]

He basically says that Morpheus is very cool and impressive. He felt like he was inside the game, so much so that he got a bit scared once the car took a jump, as he is afraid of heights. He also mentioned that the track was pretty basic, but being able to see everything and everywhere was great in helping with the feeling of immersion.
Not much info, but lots of praising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VaH48NdCzE

Paganmoon

I don't know if have seen TrackMania in VR in this thread, if not here's some footage of the game. Not in VR of course but from the social screen. Looks good, don't know the language of the guy, if anyone would like to translate feel free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VaH48NdCzE

Sounds Portuguese. Can't wait for Trackmania on consoles, with or without VR. Though, thinking of some of the custom maps on PC, not sure I'd want to play those on VR.

So I'm guessing not all games will have the "social screen", do we have any indication of which of the games known so far that have the second screen/social screen feature?

jaypah

Can't wait to play more Trackmania in VR. Getting it set up on PC was kinda janky but once it was working it was super fucking cool.

Moosichu

Sounds Portuguese. Can't wait for Trackmania on consoles, with or without VR. Though, thinking of some of the custom maps on PC, not sure I'd want to play those on VR.

So I'm guessing not all games will have the "social screen", do we have any indication of which of the games known so far that have the second screen/social screen feature?

Depends on what you mean. All games will provide some kind of output to the TV. I believe that at the moment. The processing box connecting the Morpheus and TV to the PS4 can unwarp and display what is in the headset at no.overhead by default. Or the developers can send their own output to the TV. (Playroom VR has a good use of this for assymetric gameplay)

Paganmoon

Depends on what you mean. All games will provide some kind of output to the TV. I believe that at the moment. The processing box connecting the Morpheus and TV to the PS4 can unwarp and display what is in the headset at no.overhead by default. Or the developers can send their own output to the TV. (Playroom VR has a good use of this for assymetric gameplay)

Oh, that's pretty good then. Hope you can select to send the headset display to the TV on all games, even those that can output something else as well.

DavidDesu

I don't see any point in letting you create in VR, but not play things in VR. If Dreams is a Morpheus title I believe it'll be Morpheus all the way.

Yep. They said they've done away with polygons. Not up on my rendering tech but it looks like quite a different style of rendering altogether, so it's pointless us sitting here speculating about how the game will operate. They're showing much more at Paris Games Show so let's wait and see. I'd figure if they're making such a game for Morpheus they won't go into it half arsed. Think this could be the surprise Morpheus hit. If they reach even half of their hyperbollic sounding ambition then it'll be a seriously unique thing to experience.

Moosichu

Oh, that's pretty good then. Hope you can select to send the headset display to the TV on all games, even those that can output something else as well.

Well it will depend on the game I'm guessing. As the main use for alternative output will be multiplayer. So sending headset display then would be a dick move :p

Sony has said themselves ps4 was designed with VR in mind anf the light bar was very much apart of that idea. I believe it has even been said they were thinking ahead when they designed move controllers which is why they went with a very low latency. I do agree they should revise move but probably won't to keep cost down.

Sorry but i just don't bite that.

Could the DS4 absolute tracking be applied to VR? Yes. Does that mean Sony planned the PS4 as a VR console? Not necessarily.

Sony is following a trend here. Had this not be the case you would have heard hints of their VR approach since before launch. There wasn't any practical reason to hide the fact. The above are just PR statements (even if they are coming from talented developers), in this case i prefer to follow common sense.
What I think will happen, especially early on, is that the assets of existing games will be repurposed for a VR experience.

I think the use of VR in games will have a much larger impact than the graphical quality (beyond a certain minimum threshold) in determining how good a game is for the next couple of year. While graphical quality is nice, the bigger questions that need to be solved are things like how to handle movement, and what game types work best in VR. As it stands, we don't know what the killer app will be for VR. If someone solves that problem yet has to do it with Minecraft level graphics, it's still going to be a killer app.
And we agree here? You took my reply out of context, please read Kal2006 post and then one from me that was a reply to him.

I think eyetracking and foveated rendering will be the next huge things for second generation VR.
Last year at GDC Sony already showed some pretty good eye tracking demos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKYr9MaZw3I

Now put that in a VR headset, track what people are looking at, render only that part of the screen in high res(saves a ton of performance) and use it as additional input device.

I don't think Sony will have it ready for launch of Morpheus, but the second gen of Morpheus could see this. And then VR will be truly epic. It will also solve the problem of the Ps4 not beeing that powerful, because foveated rendering really frees up a ton of performance.

Could the DS4 absolute tracking be applied to VR? Yes. Does that mean Sony planned the PS4 as a VR console? Not necessarily.

Sony is following a trend here. Had this not be the case you would have heard hints of their VR approach since before launch. There wasn't any practical reason to hide the fact. The above are just PR statements (even if they are coming from talented developers), in this case i prefer to follow common sense.

You conveniently ignored the second part of my post which mentions that even the Move was created with VR in mind, and that was how long ago?

Believe what you want to believe, I guess. That's your prerogative. I'm sure this is all just a coincidence:

Yoshida describes the company’s first experiments with VR as ‘homework‘. Members of the company’s R&D teams saw PlayStation Move’s accurate, responsive tracking as a potential solution for head-tracking on an HMD for VR. Move controllers were literally taped to pre-existing HMDs, including SCE’s own HMZ personal viewers, to create crude VR kits that worked on PlayStation 3. These experiments carried through into 2011, when Yoshida himself was able to try a rough excerpt of God of War III that put players in the shoes of iconic protagonist, Kratos.

It's Brazilian Portuguese =]

He basically says that Morpheus is very cool and impressive. He felt like he was inside the game, so much so that he got a bit scared once the car took a jump, as he is afraid of heights. He also mentioned that the track was pretty basic, but being able to see everything and everywhere was great in helping with the feeling of immersion.

Not much info, but lots of praising!

DavidDesu

And we agree here? You took my reply out of context, please read Kal2006 post and then one from me that was a reply to him.

Why would they include the light bar otherwise (plus insist it being on all the time even with the backlash against it)? Literally the only thing I can think of which has used the tracking from the light is the Playroom demo. C'mon, VR was in the works and they specifically made the DS4 to work as a great trackable controller for VR applications. Console design is done years in advance, so are things like Morpheus. They did not jump on the VR bandwagon, and have even shown them working with early prototypes back before Oculus existed.

Edit: They revealed Morpheus just a few months after launching the console, of course it was in the works in advance. Don't be silly! :p

Edit 2 (Sorry): https://youtu.be/pWMp_o03qH4?t=4m57s (4:57 in). Back in 2010 Sony experimenting with VR.

Edit: They revealed Morpheus just a few months after launching the console, of course it was in the works in advance. Don't be silly! :p

On top of that, weren't there a decent amount of rumours pointing to some sort of Playstation VR before launch? I remember at TGS in 2013 it was speculated that the Playstation VR solution would be shown (in the end we got the PS Vita TV).

As you said, for Sony to reveal Morpheus when they did, a lot of work would have gone into it beforehand.

Ran rp

Gizmodo said:
The innocent, carefree way she talks to me, my inability to get up off the porch, and the facts that I grow sunflowers and own traditional Japanese beachfront property bring me to a realization. I am probably old. I am an old perverted man looking this girl up and down. I’ve actually stumbled into a very specific fantasy. I try to put it out of my mind.

As the demo goes on, it encourages my bad behavior. She has me lean in close to check her Japanese homework. Oh look, she’s so happy she just discovered a word that means “love”! She loses her guitar pick, and puts herself in a couple of vaguely compromising positions while she searches for it.

Suddenly, she asks me to hold very still, and gets really close to me. Is she going to kiss me? My perverted old man-heart skips a beat.

I Ogled a Schoolgirl in Sony's Virtual Reality

Nope, she was just trying to catch a butterfly that had landed on my shoulder. But how about that nice red bra, eh? Awkward.

At the end of the demo, a weird man stumbles onto the property, announces that he’s the film director, and congratulates you on your acting. Great job! You don’t need to feel bad if you looked at her lustily, reads the game’s subtext, because she was an adult actress, not an innocent girl.

ahaha.

Top Bottom