• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

Mortemis

Banned
wtf is this and why is it so good

The music has me hooked, it's amazing. Love the battle themes. I did Primrose's story and it's damn good. I honestly feel like waiting for the official release to enjoy this more, but that usually doesn't stop me. Lol

I have a lot of criticisms but I'm really really enjoying this.

Mediking

Just started playing as Olberic...

This guy sounds like he should be the lead for Fire Emblem Switch. Really cool backstory.

And the music is so good.

vareon

wtf is this and why is it so good

The music has me hooked, it's amazing. Love the battle themes. I did Primrose's story and it's damn good. I honestly feel like waiting for the official release to enjoy this more, but that usually doesn't stop me. Lol

I have a lot of criticisms but I'm really really enjoying this.

Put your criticisms on their survey later! Bravely Default had a lot of improvements after gathering user feedbacks from the demo.

BizzyBum

On a side note, the demo appears to end, but I continued on anyway. Not exactly sure where the hard stop point is, if there is one.

You can explore a bit more and go to the other starting zone and recruit Primrose which opens up a few new sidequests and an optional hidden dungeon east of Cobblestone.

Besides that all other paths are blocked by NPC's so you're pretty much done. There are a ton of chests scattered around but mostly all of them just have HP recovery items.

random25

Does anybody else think this game is coming out in like March or April of next year? I feel like it's coming soon.

There's a demo and a little bit of story info, so the progress should be more than halfway by now. Won't be surprised if this is a Q1 2018 game.

Oh just realized the number inside the shield next to the enemies is how many attacks it takes for them to break. That makes things so much easier.

Beat Primrose's boss. I'm really loving this game. My only real beef so far is that the battle start animation is jarring and hurts my eyes. Hope they have a better transition animation down the line.

Mezoly

I don't like the image is dark in the corners at all, it doesn't look good in handheld mode. I don't know what that effect is called. Also some of text/icons are too small.
Is there a quest log?
Otherwise, the combat seems to be a lot of fun.

Just finished Olberic's portion of the demo, haven't played Primrose yet. I'm sure it's just part of the intended look, but the graphics seemed somewhat blurry and the fps a little low, overall a neat style though.

I died 2 times to the last boss, was a little annoying having to keep repeating the dialog before the boss, a better checkpoint system or a skip cut scene button would be appreciated.

Game is pretty fun, but I'm a little concerned how they're going to handle the 8 different character story lines.

I mean, am I going to have to replay the game with the 8 different characters to see the entire story? and since I imagine all the character campaings wont be entirely unique, feels like a lot of replaying to see everything, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh you can recruit party members with Allure? Maybe I should spend some more time in the town before doing the boss fight.

I tried alluring the save point guy so I wouldnt have to walk back every time to save but that didnt work lol.
Sorta? For like 4 or so turns, you can call in the person you allure and they will do a random move, the girl has real low strength but she has speed up and she can kinda spam it every turn that you are up, she can also attack for decent damage at this point in the game, its kinda random what she chooses to do so you could get speed up every turn she's out, afterwards it seems you cannot use her again in the current battle, or at the very least, theres a cool down.

The desert overworld theme is SO GOOD OH MY GOD.

I've loved every piece of music I've heard in this game but this one takes the cake.

Sorta? For like 4 or so turns, you can call in the person you allure and they will do a random move, the girl has real low strength but she has speed up and she can kinda spam it every turn that you are up, she can also attack for decent damage at this point in the game, its kinda random what she chooses to do so you could get speed up every turn she's out, afterwards it seems you cannot use her again in the current battle, or at the very least, theres a cool down.

Gotcha. Good recommendation, that villager was essential to beating the boss for me. She got hit quite a bit too. I was worried she'd have low HP or something.

Osahi

No demo to find on the EU eshop for now...

Edit: never mind, found it. Search function didn't find it, but it was in the coming soon section

blitz64

Played the male story first.

This game is hard. I died twice at the boss. finally beat him the 3rd time after realizing I can 4x boost combine with abilities.

I absolutely hate the art direction. It's a bit like minecraft meets retrorpg meets brown and grey. Such a far cry from Yoshida amazing job on FF 4hol and BD. :-(

Shahadan

Tbh if I could trade the Mario and Xeno release dates for this I would
I love everything about it

And I haven't even done Primrose's part yet

zashga

Played through Olberic's half of the demo tonight. I really like the cut of this game's jib. The music and spritework are really on point, and the combat system seems to be a nice refinement on Bravely Default, though I guess it depends what the later stages of the game end up looking like in terms of party size and enemy complexity. Also, the mountain area and caves are already better than most Bravely Default dungeons.

Gonna go back and play the other half of the demo tomorrow. Really stoked how this game is shaping up so far.

Koozek

This game looks SaGa as hell

I am so excited
WHERE IS THE DEMO

btw when they put the survey up, make sure to fill it out. They put out a couple of demos for Bravely Default before release and they really took player feedback into account. That game really improved dramatically in terms of combat and stuff.
But if Kitase and Tabata wanna do this for FF it's a bad thing :thinking:

forrest

formerly nacire
Finished Olberic's chapter and got the demo complete splash screen. Definitely a cool game and I really love the art style. Really wanted the archer with pet to be in the demo, but oh well. Look forward to seeing more!

Game is the shit.

I have almost no complaints aside from some simple QoL improvements (like, the game should ask you if you want to eqip something after you bought it).

Left an incredibly strong first impression.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Loving the demo so far. Had to stop for a sec because Helgenish sounds familiar as hell. Like a Star Trek character or something. Maybe the Grand Nagus from DS9?

Putosaure

Game is obviously gorgeous. I won't play too much of the demo so I'm not too spoiled. Surprised at how advanced is the game, with french translation on point and everything. My guess is that they're dialing it back from the crowded end of the year for Switch.

This is amazing. I'm playing through Primrose's chapter right now.

I think I finished it, but I kept going to the village in the mountains where I got Sword guy. I guess I'll keep going until I know for sure I've seen everything, and then do Sword guy's chapter tomorrow night.

Cannot WAIT for the full release. I hope there are combo attacks!

eh... i really like the game right now, simple yet... but it's not that dark... (only did primerose right now)

it's pretty common when you compare it to most of old schools RPG

Also, we need to remember this name, the composer : YASUNORI NISHIKI

the music are amazing... he didn't make anything really famouse before that if you check vgmdb, but i'm sure it will be great cxonsidering what we hear now! Hope someone will upload them to youtube soon

I can't find the battle music on youtube T_T
Edit: someone was nice enough to save me

thanks!

MilkBeard

This game looks SaGa as hell

I am so excited
WHERE IS THE DEMO

btw when they put the survey up, make sure to fill it out. They put out a couple of demos for Bravely Default before release and they really took player feedback into account. That game really improved dramatically in terms of combat and stuff.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

You get a full, one-page tutorial splash screen before every important element, and people don't know how to boost or use a character's unique ability?

🤕

Who didn't immediately allure the guard after the tutorial? Only reason I realized they could maybe be a party member was because they had an attack listed.

Anyway, I totally died the first time on primrose's path's boss. I severely underestimated the need to actually buy gear/items in a demo, ha. I was shocked by how much HP the boss had. I also didn't have a villager with me because I had brainfarted and didn't check the girl before the catacombs. Oops (checked save guy and couldn't allure him, and I thought they were a duo so didn't bother).

I really like the simple elegance of the combat's flow: balancing when to boost, counting shields, and when to attack normally to stock boost. The boss really made the systems shine. Hitting it with a full boost after you break it 💅👌.

My only complaint is the text size. It's so small, what the heck. The help text especially.

Top Bottom