• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

To be fair, the dialogue is hokey and cliche. You've gotta play to the material.

(I really don't get the praise this is getting on the story front - have JRPG stories gotten so dire that this looks good in comparison?)

yeah like i said before, it's pretty comon when you compare it to old school RPG in general.... 16 bits, 32 bits etc...

i still love the game, but i don't except the story to be great!

Thatanas

Yeah it has been for ages, I'm in AU. It wasn't listed on the front page or anything though when I downloaded it. I had to search through the store to find it, the search function didn't seem to work either.

Couldn't find it on new arrivals and search didn't work, guess I'll scroll some more.

Arondight

Played through Primarose path and I'm absolutely loving it so far. The game is gorgeous,music is great to listen to and must be the first turn based game I've played in years. I'm going to stop now and just wait for the full game but I really hope they keep the darker aspects of the game and maybe further explore it.

Just wondering but is there health indicators on the enemies? Didn't see any which made it hard to gauge how far I was to beating each one. It would make it easier to strategize items/boots that way.

daxgame

Really hope this game delivers because I haven't been this excited for an RPG in such a long time... Chrono Trigger vibes. (and with this, I jinxed this game)

Played through Primarose path and I'm absolutely loving it so far. The game is gorgeous,music is great to listen to and must be the first turn based game I've played in years. I'm going to stop now and just wait for the full game but I really hope they keep the darker aspects of the game and maybe further explore it.

Just wondering but is there health indicators on the enemies? Didn't see any which made it hard to gauge how far I was to beating each one. It would make it easier to strategize items/boots that way.

I was wondering this too. Is there a way to see the enemies HP?

Too many random encounters with not enough fun to be had within those encounters. There's no unique hook to the turn based fighting to make it stand out. The boost system just seems whatever.

The encounter rate is super low compared to how many steps you can take in most other JRPG (with random encounters). Are you familiar with JRPG genre conventions ?

Breaking enemy shields and juggling your boosts to use them in the right moment are definitely "unique hooks". But there is no accounting for preference, I suppose.

faridmon

Didn't know many hated the title. Maybe its because English is not my first language, Octopath traveler sounds OK to me. Maybe add s to the traveler because its plural, but I don't mind that title.

Can't wait to go back home to download this.

zroid

Banned
Just how huge the demo is ? I've played one hour of Berg's route (just beat the huge bandit) and apparently I'm not finished yet ?
If the game ends up as big as Bravely Default...dayum.
it's long. each character has their own story quest, and after you complete it you can go out into the world, recruit the other character and just explore. there's a small dungeon to tackle where you're going to want to have both characters in your party.

MoonFrog

I'd be fine with the title if they'd gone with True Divinity Fish: Faithless Frogs X the Pearly Gates tbh. But I like fish. I like frogs. And I like goofy religiously minded talk.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I instantly became cool with the title when they showed the "8 characters" hook.

Kebiinu

Banned
Played about an hour or so of Primrose, and I'm immediately sold. The voice acting was great, and the story was actually interesting. Loved it all! I want it!

Oddish1

Played Olberic's path only so far. I love the visuals and and enjoyed the battle system. I thought the beginning was pretty cutscene heavy though.

Fettbacke

Neo Member
The Demo was not bad! I like the visuals and the music. Battle system seems solid.

Don't like the random encounters. Really hate the unskippable text boxes...

Fiendcode

I'm still shocked it's Acquire and not Silicon Studio. I wonder if SS is working on any Switch games then or if they're just supporting with their middleware and engines?

btrboyev

I think they played it a little too close to old school games in tone, but it looks good. The battles absolutely are shit though. They need to work on balancing that out.

Too many random encounters with not enough fun to be had within those encounters. There's no unique hook to the turn based fighting to make it stand out. The boost system just seems whatever.

Juggling stuns and managing boosts to afford those stuns is a unique hook for a JRPG. You're welcome to not like it but I didn't really "get" what I was supposed to be doing for the first few fights until I realized it was possible to avoid getting wrecked by multiple enemies.

I'm still shocked it's Acquire and not Silicon Studio. I wonder if SS is working on any Switch games then or if they're just supporting with their middleware and engines?

Wait, didn't they say that the Bravely default team were working on Octopath? Am I misremembering?

If they have a different studio doing this, I guess they could be working on Bravely Third internally in tandem?

Aeana

Wait, didn't they say that the Bravely default team were working on Octopath? Am I misremembering?

If they have a different studio doing this, I guess they could be working on Bravely Third internally in tandem?
The Bravely Default team at Square Enix is working on it. Asano is producing, etc.

Fiendcode

It's the same production leads at SE from Bravely on Octopath (within Business Division 6). This is the same dev group that does DQ and Nier btw.

They've contracted Acquire rather than Silicon Studio. I wonder if this is a shift though, similar to when they moved from Matrix Software on DS (FF3/4/4HOL) to Silicon Studio on 3DS (Bravely series)?

nickcv

I've just finished playing primrose path but the game is still letting me play with her in the new location. Is there anything else noteworthy to do there?

Btw how will the actual game play out? You pick a character and end up with all the other guys as part of my party but only playing my character's story? Or are those completely separate campaigns?

The Bravely Default team at Square Enix is working on it. Asano is producing, etc.

It's the same production leads at SE from Bravely on Octopath (within Business Division 6). This is the same dev group that does DQ and Nier btw.

They've contracted Acquire rather than Silicon Studio. I wonder if this is a shift though, similar to when they moved from Matrix Software on DS (FF3/4/4HOL) to Silicon Studio on 3DS (Bravely series)?

Thanks for the clarification.

Last time I was looking forward to going home and playing more of a demo was Vanquish.

Good stuff. Needs more polish and development for sure, but I'm really looking forward to this. First traditional JRPG I've anticipated since...............................Suikoden 2, probably.

The music and atmosphere here feels kinda Suikoden-ish now that I think about it.

Meesh

It's been a looong time since I was this jazzed for an RPG. Everything about it speaks to me except the name...

Is there a wiki page for this game that lists who is working on this game? Who's doing the music and all that?

DJpVgG4U8AExyjD.jpg

zroid

Banned
here's my quality of life wishlist

• random encounter rate toggle
  • faster text
  • help text in the menus is too hard to read
  • I don't want enemy health bars, but I'd like the game to tell you their max HP after you've found their weakness (or something like that)

Owensboro

Holy crap, that turn bar at the top of the screen looks like Grandia. When you break an enemy does it completely reset their turn?

Kebiinu

Banned
Lol, I be feeling like GAF will only appreciate voice acting if it's in Japanese, of English origin, or a language that doesn't have meaning.

ggx2ac

Oh, I'm so silly. I should be defending while I need to build up BP so then it's easier taking out a bosses's 4 point Shield.

Random encounters took too long then i started to abuse the boost mechanic and they went faster. But faster battles would be alright. For bosses i understand. I abused the ability that hits everyone with a sword after max level boost and got rid of the two grunts. When he did Bide i just boosted defend and only took 1 damage.

For people wondering where to find the demo, in the News section literally the first (or latest) article is of this demo. Just click there, it takes you to shop, click download. Easy.

I need to try this, jrpgs are usually not my thing but it looks so pretty.

Top Bottom