• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

KingDirk

The transition to battle is very abrupt and I really like it. Genuinely freaked me out when it first happened.

Was also bummed out I couldn't allure The Traveler.

Leatherface

Played the Berg story last night. I thought it was charming and fun, but a little generic. Still, it really brought me back to my youth in its presentation, dialog and gameplay. I enjoyed it and will be keeping an eye out. Hopefully this is a budget title though.

Kouriozan

Played more with Olberic, after getting the spear from that duel, I found a new cave where monsters are really strong, and all that after getting "thanks for playing the demo" screen.
Seems like there is a fair bit to do and I haven't touched post-demo Primrose, too.

Shahadan

Uh, I know, he's weak to swords but I still have to hit him 7 times before I break his guard and he just destroys me in the meantime.

Are you talking about the boss ?
I don't think I've seen any other guy with that much

Just defend and most importantly boost defense after he uses Bide, heal when you're around 100hp, use Abide before breaking his defense and then use the boosted single target ability to do like 1000+ damage.

Not that one, there's a guy much later after you've "completed" the demo, guarding the entrance of a cave.

Oh ok sorry then :p
I stopped before going there

LordKano

Are you talking about the boss ?
I don't think I've seen any other guy with that much

Just defend and most importantly boost defense after he uses Bide, heal when you're around 100hp, use Abide before breaking his defense and then use the boosted single target ability to do like 1000+ damage.

Not that one, there's a guy much later after you've "completed" the demo, guarding the entrance of a cave.

Omnicent

Don't forget you can boost normal attacks to deal multiple hits to a shield.
IE: x4 attack chain is -4 on a shield. You only need 3 boost for Max skils, so just use 1 boost when you have 4/5 stocked if the enemy has more than 1 shield left (so you reduce shield by 2 each time).

Kouriozan

My strat was just put him to 1 shield, 3x boost his ATK buff, then break and 3x boost the spear skill with the one from the duel in front of the tavern. I think that was enough to defeat him.

PMS341

Prim's story sold me on this game. Genuinely good dialogue and VA, for the most part. Game is gorgeous as well, as is the music. My only real complaint is that the post-battle fanfare is a little dull, and the Level Up SFX clashes hard with it. Still though... I'm interested.

Fiendcode

For people wondering these are the SE groups producing their different Switch games so far.

Business Division 5 (FFXI/XIV group)
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Builders 2

Business Division 6 (DQ/Nier/Bravely group)
Dragon Quest X: Online
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
Dragon Quest Heroes I & II (with Omega Force)
Project Octopath Traveler (with Acquire)

Business Division 10 (mobile group)
Seiken Densetsu Collection (with M2)

Tokyo RPG Factory
I am Setsuna
Lost Sphear

Extreme Edges Team (localization group)
Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker (with Tozai Games)

Final Fantasy: Spirit Roads
I'd prefer SaGa Spirits Road. :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I absolutely hate the art direction. It's a bit like minecraft meets retrorpg meets brown and grey. Such a far cry from Yoshida amazing job on FF 4hol and BD. :-(
As someone who found FF4 DS and BD to be offensively ugly, this post offends me. xD

Minecraft? Not even close.

How deep is the combat? I'm not too big on JRPGs and as such would much prefer a simpler one without too many systems. Sort of like what Child of Light does. Not expecting that level of simplicity but is it similar?
It's simple, but deep. There aren't that many mechanics (that we saw anyway), but it's all in the way they can be used effectively. Learning curve was pretty fast for me, though I am fairly experienced with JRPGs.

This game plays poorly. It looked great in videos but I am not a fan of the pixelated characters. And the dialogue is long and insufferable. These voice actors are bad.

The lighting and environments are cool, but that's all this game has going for it. The battle system is a downright slog.

And promrose's characterization is offensively sexist.
Slog how? The people saying that usually don't use Boost and guard Break effectively. *shrugs*

As for sexism... I'm usually the first to point it out, but I don't really see it.
Though, I hate how she keeps her dancer outfit after ]killing the pimp and going adventuring, that's just dumb and out of character, I hope she gets some alt costume. But well, it's the first time I see a character that's a playable sex worker in a game, and the way they handled it at the end of her intro seems pretty empowering. If the game continues to treat the subject with the gravitas and maturity it requires remains to be seen, but so far I'm actually fairly surprised.

(I really don't get the praise this is getting on the story front - have JRPG stories gotten so dire that this looks good in comparison?)
Honestly, yes.

Alrus

Are sidequests meant to be completed? I think I found one in Primrose's story but I don't think I can do anything with it?

zroid

Banned
Are sidequests meant to be completed? I think I found one in Primrose's story but I don't think I can do anything with it?

Uh I'm not sure if all of them can be completed. The demo doesn't even let you keep track of your quests so it's probably just how it is. Certainly there are a bunch you can complete though.

What a stellar demo. Everything feels great. The look and feel, the battlesystem, the music, the tone. D1.

It's missing the QoL-improvements from Bravely Default/Second, though. Would be nice to toggle game speed, random encounters and stuff.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Some of them can be completed once you have a full party (use Allure and Duel skills as needed), but I don't know if all of them can be.

So far I got (sorry, going by memory so I don't recall the quest/city names):

(Sand city)
- Street tough harassing the merchant -
Allure the amnesiac girl in the tavern and bring her to the street thug
- Antagonistic man harassing that traveling woman -
Duel him
(Mountain village)
- Girl with forlorn hopes -
duel her dad, who's the drunk guy in the tavern
- Historian girl seeking that old king -
I think I saw some ruins in the eastern cave, but I don't know if that's enough to solve the quest yet, didn't go back to her

I think there was another quest that I might be forgetting... anyone?

combatboots12

Neo Member
Can't wait to see how the 8 different characters come together or if they do at all.

Anyone have an idea as to how that would work? I imagine it's the same game with 8 starting points and a somewhat non-linear progression. I've seen people saying it's kind of like SaGa Frontier, but i've never played a SaGa game.

Firemind

Holy crap the production values

Wonder if it will keep being grounded or go full on summons later

Giving me 4 heroes of light vibes which is good since bravely default was too dumb to take serious

sanstesy

Jesus, the music throughout the demo is some of the best I've heard in years from a RPG and it just again supports that getting unknown talent in whatever department is a gamble worth taking.

Kinsei

Banned
As for sexism... I'm usually the first to point it out, but I don't really see it.
Though, I hate how she keeps her dancer outfit after ]killing the pimp and going adventuring, that's just dumb and out of character, I hope she gets some alt costume. But well, it's the first time I see a character that's a playable sex worker in a game, and the way they handled it at the end of her intro seems pretty empowering. If the game continues to treat the subject with the gravitas and maturity it requires remains to be seen, but so far I'm actually fairly surprised.

I wouldn't praise the game for having a playable sex worker considering the way they portray it. Also it's pretty demeaning that the only power Primrose has is sex. Her dagger skills are practically useless in comparison to her dances.

FinalAres

I wouldn't praise the game for having a playable sex worker considering the way they portray it. Also it's pretty demeaning that the only power Primrose has is sex. Her dagger skills are practically useless in comparison to her dances.

Not played it yet, but it sounds like her being a playable sex-worker is central to her character so its no bad thing that that's portrayed in her playstyle too.

Plus she's using something which used to be a shackle, now as a powerful tool against other people. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Unless her outfit is a tiny bra and panties.

Firemind

Can't wait to see how the 8 different characters come together or if they do at all.

Anyone have an idea as to how that would work? I imagine it's the same game with 8 starting points and a somewhat non-linear progression. I've seen people saying it's kind of like SaGa Frontier, but i've never played a SaGa game.
It's like Four Warriors of Light if you've played that. Every character has a self-contained story and meets the other three sometimes by accident, sometimes by mutual benefits.

Only now there are eight main characters and you can start with any character so the branching paths are going to be insane!

vkrili

Dancing is creativity and freedom, not sex. And sex isn't inherently something to stand against, only sexual abuse is. Sex too can be creativity and freedom.

jRPG

Played through with the demo with Olberic / Berg. Really enjoyed it. I'd already fallen in love with the art-style from videos, but it's breathtaking when actually playing it. It seems very similar to the Bravely Default system, except a little less weighted (there's seemingly no punishment for boosting). It took me until level 4 to realise that you could boost more than once...lol. Boosting for 4x and defending the turn after the boss had used Bide made it ridiculously simple though, reducing his damage to 1. It has one of those battle systems, similar to Bravely Default, that is just so addictive. I adored it, and explored everywhere I could after the demo ended. I'm going to save the other character for a future playthrough, rather than do it all now. Need to savour it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

No? I used the dagger skills all the time. And she has dark magic too.

Fou-Lu

Sex is not automatically demeaning. A female character taking back her agency through what she has been forced to learn is not demeaning, it is empowering.

I didn't interpret Prim's story as sexism. I dunno, maybe it's not as progressive in how it deals with
being a sex worker
but I don't really think it was out here trying to be.

They're slaves. They aren't working :/ Out of all of then Prim is the only one implied to be strong enough to leave of her own choice. She's literally only there for revenge

jph139

The only problem I have with Primrose is that I didn't quite get was her motivation.

- Dad gets killed.
- Sets out on quest to avenge dad.
- Gets lead on one of the murderers.
- Becomes a sex worker for [indeterminate amount of time] to watch for him.
- Hates life for [indeterminate amount of time]

How did she get there? Why didn't she go undercover as a merchant or something that she found less degrading? If she was a noble's daughter shouldn't she have the means? That gap left me with a ton of questions and I sort of suspect there's no answers. It feels like they had the premise of "sexy dancer" and worked the plot backwards.

The only offensive bit was how incredibly tortured and circuitous their rephrase of "Suck my dick!"/"Go fuck yourself!" was.

This game plays poorly. It looked great in videos but I am not a fan of the pixelated characters. And the dialogue is long and insufferable. These voice actors are bad.

The lighting and environments are cool, but that's all this game has going for it. The battle system is a downright slog.

And promrose's characterization is offensively sexist.
Sexist because she is a female being exploited for sexual means? What a preposterous thing to be upset about. Her story, if anything, is about female empowerment and rising above the circumstances to take control of your life.
She essentially sacrificed herself to track down her father's killer.

I personally am a bit disturbed by the dark nature of the backstory, but at no point does it strike me as unnecessarily sexist. Simply recognizing differences between the sexes at no point becomes a matter of offense -- typical 2017 knee-jerk criticism.

Swap the genders and it still holds up. But in reality, this stuff happens far more frequently to females than males -- so the story is more relatable as presented.

[/soapbox]

Kinsei

Banned
No? I used the dagger skills all the time. And she has dark magic too.

I was under the impression that the dark magic was dances.

Sex is not automatically demeaning. A female character taking back her agency through what she has been forced to learn is not demeaning, it is empowering.

I didn't say that sex is automatically demeaning. I said that it being her only real source of power was. You'd really expect her to be more skilled with that dagger considering how long she was biding her time waiting for one of the crows to show up.

The graphics are so good. Well the filters are annoying, but since Square is taking feedback, make your voices be heard.

Also, complain about random battles as well!

Top Bottom