• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

ksamedi

Returning to this a few pages back, I don't think it says anywhere that it's like that only for the demo.

When recruiting Primrose, the game says only this:

Unless I'm missing something?

Yeah that particular poster made me doubt what I read, Thanks for pointing it out.

Firemind

Whether or not an encounter slider makes sense, depends on their game design. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ If they want the process of getting through a dungeon to be a challenge in and on itself, having an encounter slider would actively go against their design. That wouldn't be beneficial to the game.
Yeah when you're in a dungeon and you're out of potions and you can simply retreat to the town by turning off random battles. Might as well add a fast travel option.

tsundoku

Returning to this a few pages back, I don't think it says anywhere that it's like that only for the demo.

Returning to this you can also do a quest for the Nun girl in the trailer / intro video and after you help her by beating up the guy accosting her she fucks right off and doesn't join you

So the demo plays a little fast and loose with the "any character at any time" because i'm sure it'll be gated by story stuff.
I imagine you'll have to help Primrose solve her problem to have her join you.

Yeah when you're in a dungeon and you're out of potions and you can simply retreat to the town by turning off random battles. Might as well add a fast travel option.

the encounter slider made both bravelys boring as fuck, i'm so glad this game showcases incredible difficulty with player choice in how much grinding they want to do to make the battles easier and that the demo didn't showcase any skills you have to grind for.

Exentryk

ImprobablePleasantAmericancurl-max-14mb.gif

Conan-san

Finished Primrose, got to boss in the other one but died and then realised there was no Event Skip and decided I was done.

This is clearly a work in process, the script is a load of waffle, a lot of things could be summied in like two lines and
even the badguy of Primrose's bit litterly had five speach bubbles after apparently geting his throat cut wide open
and oh boy do I ever miss the encounter setting from Bravely Default.

Speking of Encounters, for the fact you don't recover MP after the fact the Max HP pools for enemies is far too high. I don't even mind encounters doing the Persona Weakness Pop and Shot but it lacks the imediancy of the battles ending that those guys does.

Exentryk

Seems like I've done everything in Olberic's story (saved Phillip, beat 5 star Villager, completed Beowulf quest, got Primrose). Is there anything else I could be missing?

coughlanio

Yeah, depth of field is too strong, but ring the fore- and background, and bloom is a little on the high side as well, making the presentation a bit unclear.

Yeah, I kind wished it a much cleaner presentation, as there's nothing really "HD-2D" about it.

Yeah, it would be super weird otherwise.

"Hi there."
"I'ma follow you."
"Okay."

Yeah, hopefully this doesn't turn people off, as they could have worded the messaging a bit better in the demo. Unless this is actually how it's going to be in the full game, but I doubt it :D

Exentryk

I feel like along with Break and Boost, the combat would become amazing if they added the Brave system as well.

Use the BP to Brave OR Boost, as needed. For people that don't know what Braving is, it lets you use 4 BP to do 4 unique actions (like Abide, Attack, Level Slash, Flurry), in a single turn.
Combining Boost into this, you might be able to do something like Abide, Flury (Boost x3), in a single turn.

tsundoku

I love so much about this demo and this like super authentic brand new PSX era RPG
I love that shitty shitty bloom and how the sprites get totally blown out by their own lantern and how much black there is in the game and how the Battle Sprites use old SNES / PSX rules for what gets a monster sized sprite and what gets a field sprite.

I did mention some quality of life stuff in the survey but I mean stuff like changing your boost level / weapon type selected at any time in the confirm/cancel target process and how the Path Actions pop up really slowly and how ambiguous the white/greyed out text can be. And I told them their run speed should be the walk and their actual run should be faster.

But I absolutely didn't complain about the visuals or the encounter speed, after playing both paths and the optional dungeon and doing all the little sidequests I definitely feel what they are going for with this game

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Filled that survey.

I absolutely CAN'T WAIT for this game.

KLoWn

The demo was awesome. I'll definitely get this when it drops.

Primrose's story was interesting, the Warrior dude's, not as much, but I can see it becoming better down the line.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Do you have to complete the demo to get the survey?
No, it's tied to your My Nintendo account & having it set to allow them to send emails to you. I didn't even play the demo yet when I got the email.

The email states "This e-mail was sent to your email address because you asked to receive updates and promotions from Nintendo."

Shahadan

Yeah, it would be super weird otherwise.

"Hi there."
"I'ma follow you."
"Okay."

Tbh I wouldn't be against that, the other characters being there for gameplay reasons, rather than the alternative because I don't know how it is supposed to work with the concept of the game.

If this is yet another game with "choice" but you end up doing the same thing 8 times in a different order, that's disappointing.
I'd rather other characters be there as "mercenaries" and the story to focus on who I chose at the beginning so it's completely different everytime.

"Hey you helped me for my thing so I will follow you for yours for the rest of my life" and "hi I'm just going to follow you" are not really different to me. That doesn't exclude some context obviously, but you know. I just don't see how they make it worth it if the characters all have the same goal all the time because in that case there is little point to choose.

Of course maybe each character can only have 3 friends and their stories are interwoven, but even then that would be boring fast.

Firemind

Looking at this, it's clearly four men and four women. The men are kind of ambiguous, but it's pretty clear the women are dancer, ranger, cleric and I think presumably rogue. I think the boy on the right is a mage since the sword leaning against the wall should be Olberic's. Then you have the plucky boy in the middle and the studious man in the left. Red mage maybe? Initially I thought one of the party members is a beastmaster but who knows. No bard, monk or any eastern classes, unless there's an elaborate class system.

LOUD915

Seems like I've done everything in Olberic's story (saved Phillip, beat 5 star Villager, completed Beowulf quest, got Primrose). Is there anything else I could be missing?

I did all of that and I'm pretty sure that's all you can do.

Damnit I want more!!!

Teppic

No, it's tied to your My Nintendo account & having it set to allow them to send emails to you. I didn't even play the demo yet when I got the email.

The email states "This e-mail was sent to your email address because you asked to receive updates and promotions from Nintendo."
I have all that set but got nothing.

Anyone havr a guide/ list of all the things you can do in the demo? I want to make sure ive done it all!

Ooo forgot to add to the survey, that i want more enviorment sensitive text. Was disappointed when i would try searching something and nothing to read popped up. And yet theres so many chests out in the open with meaningless items that could easily be put in booksheleves and pots.

They need to tone down the vignetting. Not get rid of it completely; just tone it down. As for the depth of field blur, I think it's fine. Considering the 2D-3D aspect of the game, I think not having any blur, meaning having everything being crisp regardless of distance, would be very weird-looking and maybe would mess with distance perception.

I'm fine with the sepia tone of the colours. It certainly conjugates well with the tone of the scenario.

Red

They need to tone down the vignetting. Not get rid of it completely; just tone it down. As for the depth of field blur, I think it's fine. Considering the 2D-3D aspect of the game, I think not having any blur, meaning having everything being crisp regardless of distance, would be very weird-looking and maybe would mess with distance perception.

I'm fine with the sepia tone of the colours. It certainly conjugates well with the tone of the scenario.
Yeah, the vignette is too heavy. That’s about the only criticism of these visuals I can get behind. It’s a wondrous looking game otherwise.

zroid

Banned
Speking of Encounters, for the fact you don't recover MP after the fact the Max HP pools for enemies is far too high. I don't even mind encounters doing the Persona Weakness Pop and Shot but it lacks the imediancy of the battles ending that those guys does.

as people have said above, you do recover SP when you level up, and in general SP recovery items are cheap, and skill SP costs are low (at least, for the ones in the demo). the game is balanced for you to use your skills against regular enemies.

Can you enter Catacombs in Olberic's story?

yeah the content is exactly the same for both character scenarios, outside of the story quest

Surfside

Banned
Tbh I wouldn't be against that, the other characters being there for gameplay reasons, rather than the alternative because I don't know how it is supposed to work with the concept of the game.

If this is yet another game with "choice" but you end up doing the same thing 8 times in a different order, that's disappointing.
I'd rather other characters be there as "mercenaries" and the story to focus on who I chose at the beginning so it's completely different everytime.

"Hey you helped me for my thing so I will follow you for yours for the rest of my life" and "hi I'm just going to follow you" are not really different to me. That doesn't exclude some context obviously, but you know. I just don't see how they make it worth it if the characters all have the same goal all the time because in that case there is little point to choose.

Of course maybe each character can only have 3 friends and their stories are interwoven, but even then that would be boring fast.

But if you play each story individually, they would have to be rather short for them to be different each time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This sounds terrible to me.
Wut? Do you think Chrono Trigger is terrible too?

"In the full version of the game, you will be free to recruit any of the eight protagonists at any time you like. Here, the dancer Primrose has joined your party."

I read that as in, "In the full game recruitment will be its own a feature, but for now, enjoy a new party member to try it out.

thefro

You can actually beat two of the sidequests differently depending on if you challenge or allure, so that's pretty neat. Different story outcomes too.

Think I've near-100%ed the demo after that, although I'm reading there's a hidden chest I missed. Took a bit over four hours.

zroid

Banned
What I think is the 8 characters' storylines will eventually converge, but the order will be different for each character. for example, each character has one other character whom they are supposed to join with fairly early on. then each of the four pairs will have one other pair they'll join with mid-way through. then finally near the end the two groups of four will unite.

Exentryk

Anyone havr a guide/ list of all the things you can do in the demo? I want to make sure ive done it all!

Below is the list of quests and important items for easier tracking:

- Drunk Father and Daughter (Cobblestone)
- Beowulf Research (Cobblestone - Primeval Shrine)
- Man Harassing a Girl (Sunshade)
- Shopowner and Street Tough / Amnesic Sister (Sunshade)

It seems some quests can be completed in different ways.

- assassin's dagger
- halberd
- heavy shield
- jewel of protection (x2)
- jewel of strength (x2)
- jewel of vitality (x2)
- winged boots
- bruising bandana

- healing grape (L)
- inspiring plum (L)
- olive of life
- fire soulstone
- golden grape

Exentryk

Where do i find Beowulf's stuff for the quest?

It's in a
cave east of Cobblestone (leave the village from the bottom right steps). Then go right one screen after that, and keep going right and up to the cave. There will be a guard in front who will turn you back. Challenge and beat him, and then you can enter the cave.

Regarding joining party members, of course there will be a story aspect to it. Coz its a demo, the characters are just joining without any exposition.

Zedark

Cant find the demo,Canada here...keeps looking.

Try the Coming Soon section. If not there, you likely can access it by going to the news section and click the Octopath post, where they link you to the page of the game (that's how I found it, Europe here).

Surfside

Banned
It could also be like in Valkyrie Profile were you play each companions story individually and they are only connected through Lenneth as the main protag.

Ricker

Try the Coming Soon section. If not there, you likely can access it by going to the news section and click the Octopath post, where they link you to the page of the game (that's how I found it, Europe here).

Thanks...but I am dumb and I will leave it at that,lmao...its early.

I dont have a Switch,was looking on the 3DS...Double doh

The only thing I asked for in my survey was a desire for an encounter slider and a better way of knowing where you can or can't move in the enviroment. The cave with Olberic to rescue phillip is pretty frustrating on the portable screen.

ultrazilla

I filled the survey as well.

I'm old school. I'm talking remembering playing Final Fantasy III on cartridge via Super Nintendo old school. (I'm 45).

I'll probably catch some heat but the only negative I put down was the "random enemy encounters". I explained I'm aware of the game mechanic but since my time is much more limited now(and I *do* realize there is a "flee" option) that they should try to make the enemy encounters visible with icons on the paths or signs posted with percentage chances of running into enemies going this route kinda stuff. It boils down for me that I want to be able to pick my fights or avoid them.

Everything else I put down was glowing.

Love the Unreal Engine 4 tech and the 2-D HD pixel graphics they are using. The writing/script is amazing. Music is Godly and the voice acting-wow-top notch!

Day 1 purchase for me!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This is such a purchase for me, I don't even want to finish the demo. I was sold about 20 minutes into it, after a few battles.

Gah, this sucks because I'm sure the game is a LONG time away.

ToonLink

I watched Easy Allies play through the dancer's opening chapter, and I played through the knight's myself yesterday. I'm really digging it. This game is definitely on my radar more now.

Zedark

Just finished the Primrose opening chapter, after finishing Olberic's earlier in the week. Damn, Primrose's tale is dark! Really digging her character and her story, a strong contender for a first playthrough (although Olberic's is interesting as well). Playing the second character just made me more excited for the game, since the stories just seem to be incredibly crafted. Please be early in 2018 rather than late!

Top Bottom