• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

Cuburt

Need to fill out a survey because the game looks great and has some fun gameplay promises, but there are definitely some rough edges I hope are filed off by release.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm surprised that random battles are somehow to the point of being deal breakers for some, that is some shenanigans.

Like you can always flee, if you don't want to fight :/

It's the only thing I don't like about the game, too.
Leads to serious fatigue for me, I've struggled to finish random encounter games since the PSX-era.

Hope they edit the system.

Otherwise, the game seems great!
What a dark storyline... who knew.

Fiendcode

Leads to serious fatigue for me, I've struggled to finish random encounter games since the PSX-era.

I'm generally the same but the encounter rate controls in the Bravely games and FFIX mobile totally mitigated that for me. I hope it's included in Octopath.

patchday

I need to play somemore. I picked up a Switch late last night. Didnt have much time to play this yet.

At least Ragna the Bloodedge has been able to get a job else where since bbcf, I always laugh when I hear his voice pop up due to just hearing it for over 60 hours now

Ragna!!!!!! (Thinking bout that creepy stalker girl from BB)

PetrCobra

Tried out the demo for a bit, really don't like the art style as much as everyone else does. The shallow depth of field is annoying, just like the lack of distinction of paths where I can go from purely decorative assets.

But the game plays rather well otherwise and the battles seem pretty interesting so far.

RRockman

Banned
Lol I love the battle system/presentation so much that I actually get hyped when I enter a battle. Especially if it's one of those hidden miniboss types. Ya'll going to hate me for this but I don't want that to change at all.

JayBabay

Everyone take that survey and mention they need to make the enemies more animated in battle, they have no attack animations!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

The encounter rate is so low tho...

Shahadan

I really wonder what they'll be talking about for 45 minutes next week. Probably each character but even if there are 8 of them there must be something else.

Also I admit that the ???? in the menu is interesting to me. I want to know !

I don't think so, I think all will have their eyes open in the full game indicating that they're playable. Wouldn't like it if i needed to play with one character to unlock the starting point of another. Some characters seem to start relatively far away of others. (I think the position on the select screen indicates their starting position on the worldmap.)

I hope so too, I just don't know if they bothered to make them close their eyes for the demo or if it's because you have to unlock them. According to the map they're all in a different region/country except the save guy and there's a zone with no one at all. Kinda curious.

Exentryk

They might talk about the survey results, and then show off some more gameplay. I am keen to know if they'll add more game mechanics like sub-jobs, a Brave system, etc.

orioto

Good Art™
Finally tried the demo. I did the guy story.

Well, i still hate the graphics with passion, but damn those music are amazing and i like the writing to. Way more than I'm Setsuna.

Reki

There's no real counter-argument for the "why not let people have the option?" point so I can't really try, but to the bolded part at least, I suppose it's because I'm coming at this from the perspective of believing that getting through the dungeon itself, normal encounters and all, is meant to be a challenge in and of itself, and not simply time-filler for the "real" challenge of the boss fights. It's a gauntlet that simultaneously strengthens your party for future battles via level-ups and gaining money you can use to purchase more items and equipment, while also draining your resources and requiring the player to make decisions about when/whether to use healing items or spells, make a choice about which direction to go, whether they think it's worth it at that point in time to try and find the path to that distant treasure chest (it is, it always is), and whether they think they'll have enough left in the tank to survive a potential boss battle at the end. It is indeed more convenient to be able to fight or not fight whenever you want to, but on the other hand I wouldn't say that challenge and risk in a game should always fall secondary to convenience. If that were the case, why have non-boss battles at all, do away entirely with stuff like levels and grinding and even the dungeons themselves and just boil the game down to cutscenes and boss battles?

Like was mentioned earlier, people don't mind fights as long as the systems involved are fun, and they seem to be fun in this so far, yet people are so keen to get rid of it with the snap of a finger? I argue that the experience of beating an end-of-dungeon boss is very different if you have to fight your way through the whole dungeon to get there and beat the boss as a final punctuation mark of your accomplishment, rather than grinding levels at 200% encounter-rate around the entrance until you decide you're strong enough, then set the rate to 0% and stroll through the whole place unburdened, beat the boss and move along. I messed around with the battle slider in Bravely Default, and had my own moments of turning battles off and just running through, but I'm not convinced that the ability to do so actually enhanced my experience at all. Like I said in a previous post, that mostly just serves to trivialize dungeons and encounters and puts the meat of the game entirely on boss fights.

Again, imagine something like a Metroid or a Zelda game where you could just...turn enemies off. Am I wrong in thinking that sounds utterly bizarre and would take something away from those experiences?

You make good points, and I too think that some parts of a game (like boss fights) are better enjoyed if they aren't that common or easy to reach. But I have to say that it's far from a principle that can be applied to any RPG or game.

So you have the last Zelda game, a game driven by its mechanics and open world. A common design choice would be to force the player through the story travelling all around the world. But the dev team trusted the fun of the mechanics they had and let the player choose how much of the game they wanted to visit. It was basically "turn off enemies if you want". This worked well by the very nature of the design and genre, but it would feel out of place in a platformer, for example.

Another decision that changed a franchise's tradition was the inclusion of Casual Mode in FE. It also balances the influence of both players and developers by giving more choices. I think it was a good change that welcomed newcomers, even though I haven't used it and I reset every time a unit dies. Which may sound contradictory but damn... I want those stars on the save file without missing any support.

In RPGs the battles are a good chunk of the game, so it's not that "people don't mind fights as long as the systems involved are fun"; if they don't enjoy them I'd recommend not to play said game. It's just that under certain circumstances some players would prefer them to be less frequent, like when you are completing sidequests but you don't want to be overleveled for the next boss fight. Entering and then escaping a battle multiple times can be really boring and time consuming.

A sidenote, but I found that the Brave system in this demo was too generous. Once you understand it you can destroy everything but the bosses pretty easily (at least on Prim's path).

thefro

A sidenote, but I found that the Brave system in this demo was too generous. Once you understand it you can destroy everything but the bosses pretty easily (at least on Prim's path).

Primeval shrine has much tougher enemies and enemy groups than the story part of the demo.

Some of the normal enemies there hit fairly hard.

Shahadan

Finally tried Primrose's story while in my bathtub
#Cerny
That was cool. I don't see the problem with "go pleasure yourself" that was kinda witty and fit with what the guy was saying. It's not a way to avoid saying fuck.
It actually was an awesome moment. I liked her more than I thought I would. The allure mechanic is cool too. Can see some potential fun to be had with that.

I hope the Path Actions actually mean something for the other guys though. The Challenge thing is fun but I fail to see practical ways to use it. "Expose evil doers" they said but I need to see it in practice.
In my mind when they said that in the direct I expected to be able to expose directly some people you knew were bad by playing other paths but since you can recruit everyone I guess that's not that. Too bad, could have been cool.

phanphare

Banned
took the survey. I'm trying to get more hd rumble in the game lol

told them the rumble is really great when you trigger a break on an enemy and it'd be really cool if there was some subtle rumble for each boost level and when an enemy dies and bursts into smoke.

also said that random encounters should have a toggle like in bravely default, I'm sure that's the most common complaint right now so honestly it'll either get implemented and if it doesn't than I think we can all conclude that it's like that for a reason

we'll see how that goes

Shahadan

The hd rumble when they slam doors in the Primrose story was actually really cool and added to the tension. I wish I had played that before taking the survey.

I used a link found elsewhere because they apparently refused to email me.

Quote this post to see it. I don't know if it'll be valid but it works at least

Thanks for this - hopefully it's legit and works. Submitted a fairly lengthy and detailed list of potential improvements. I love what this game is going for, and want it to see it improve a ton.

I hope the Path Actions actually mean something for the other guys though. The Challenge thing is fun but I fail to see practical ways to use it. "Expose evil doers" they said but I need to see it in practice.
In my mind when they said that in the direct I expected to be able to expose directly some people you knew were bad by playing other paths but since you can recruit everyone I guess that's not that. Too bad, could have been cool.

The knight's ability can be used to help an NPC in need, and open a secret cave by beating up an NPC that doesn't permit you to enter.

Zedark

I used a link found elsewhere because they apparently refused to email me.

Quote this post to see it. I don't know if it'll be valid but it works at least
Thanks for the link!

Really thorough survey, glad to be able to submit my feedback in such a detailed way. Hope they fix the minor annoyances in the demo, since it's such a beautiful little gem!

I still do not understand why developers don't have demos for their games in this day and age. I don't play rpgs, especially jrpgs, but downloading this demo and playing it just because its free actually made me start thinking that I might actually buy this, and start playing other rpgs...

Cerium

I still do not understand why developers don't have demos for their games in this day and age. I don't play rpgs, especially jrpgs, but downloading this demo and playing it just because its free actually made me start thinking that I might actually buy this, and start playing other rpgs...

It's a lot of work for the dev team and sometimes demos actually turn people off the game.

phanphare

Banned
So they'd rather I shell out $60 just to see if I like a game? Or just do what I usually do and not shell anything at all even if it means missing hidden gems.

in a world where there was no way to find out about a game before buying it demos would be essential

that world doesn't exist though, there's usually ample pre release footage as well as reviews to know if a game appeals to you or not and you can also just wait until after a game is released and to see how the player base at large feels about it

I can't think of any scenario where you'd be shelling out $60 just to see if you like a game

ozfunghi

I managed the Dreamcast version of Skies of Arcadia, so i'll manage the encounter rate here as well. Didn't seem too bad honestly.

The town was pretty, but the desert was much less so (i played the Primrose demo path). Quite enjoyed the gameplay. The menus need some work though.

I think they need to be careful with the art direction, because it seems like an exagerated use of bloom on a 3D world filled with low rew textures and 2d sprites for the characters. They need to balance it carefully, because what looks beautiful in certain areas, looks tacky in others.

phant0m

Filled out my survey, said they need to fix the unskippable cutscenes and the blur/vignetting is too heavy handed. If both of these are improved, this is a Day 1 for me.

So they'd rather I shell out $60 just to see if I like a game? Or just do what I usually do and not shell anything at all even if it means missing hidden gems.

Or you know, wait for reviews or a quick look/let's play.

Coxy100

Banned
Really enjoying it but wow - the first boss (playing as the warrior) - any tips? Game has been a breeze up to this point

Never played a jrpg before but this is a pleasant surprise. What I don't get is the enemies seem to have a massive health max - takes so many hits to kill some

Any tips on the boss?? (I killed the 2 brigands first)

Really enjoying it but wow - the first boss (playing as the warrior) - any tips? Game has been a breeze up to this point

Never played a jrpg before but this is a pleasant surprise. What I don't get is the enemies seem to have a massive health max - takes so many hits to kill some

Any tips on the boss?? (I killed the 2 brigands first)

Don't forget to boost your skills. Try to buff your physical attack before breaking the boss, then after breaking him follow up with a boosted 6SP skill that deals high sword damage. You'll deal thousands of damage this way.

Use skills on regular enemies, too. You recover full SP after leveling up (which isn't terribly infrequent), so it's tough to run out.

Coxy100

Banned
Don't forget to boost your skills. Try to buff your physical attack before breaking the boss, then after breaking him follow up with a boosted 6SP skill that deals high sword damage. You'll deal thousands of damage this way.

Use skills on regular enemies, too. You recover full SP after leveling up (which isn't terribly infrequent), so it's tough to run out.
thanks. What I don't get though is I might break him in one turn - but then I have to break him again next turn too after he recovers from his stammer. Just not sure how you're supposed to follow it up properly - it's like each turn you have to start again

Cerium

thanks. What I don't get though is I might break him in one turn - but then I have to break him again next turn too after he recovers from his stammer. Just not sure how you're supposed to follow it up properly - it's like each turn you have to start again

You save your boost, then you hit him until he breaks, and once he does you immediately follow up with the biggest most boosted attack you've got.

Rinse repeat until dead.

Coxy100

Banned
You save your boost, then you hit him until he breaks, and once he does you immediately follow up with the biggest most boosted attack you've got.

Rinse repeat until dead.
So save your boost and do a 4 boost.... yes it would break him. But then the next turn I obviously don't have any boost (well only 2). So I use a special ability you mean?

Cerium

So save your boost and do a 4 boost.... yes it would break him. But then the next turn I obviously don't have any boost (well only 2). So I use a special ability you mean?
You don't have to boost to break him, and you can only do a 3 boost max.

If you want to do two max boosts in a row it is possible; you save up 5, use 3, then you get another at the start of your next turn.

The only really important thing is hitting him with a max boost once he's broken.

Golnei

No, they were saying to keep that boost in reserve and aim to break without using it, so that you can boost your attack after they're broken. Also, abilities (and guards) can also be boosted, not just regular attacks.

I know it's surely been mentioned already, but have to reiterate that breaks stun enemies, including bosses.

Breaks are a good way to avoid damage or "big" boss attacks. If you see a boss planning a windup, you can choose to boost and break early to stun that attack rather than just going for damage every time. I think that'll be a more important strategy when you have more than 2 party members.

It also makes managing multiple smaller enemies sometimes easier.

Cerium

I know it's surely been mentioned already, but have to reiterate that breaks stun enemies, including bosses.

Breaks are a good way to avoid damage or "big" boss attacks. If you see a boss planning a windup, you can choose to boost and break early to stun that attack rather than just going for damage every time. I think that'll be a more important strategy when you have more than 2 party members.

It also makes managing multiple smaller enemies sometimes easier.

I tend to guard when bosses are winding up. I can eat the damage and it gives me another turn of boost for when I really need it.

Trance

It's in a
cave east of Cobblestone (leave the village from the bottom right steps). Then go right one screen after that, and keep going right and up to the cave. There will be a guard in front who will turn you back. Challenge and beat him, and then you can enter the cave.

Regarding joining party members, of course there will be a story aspect to it. Coz its a demo, the characters are just joining without any exposition.

I didn't have to challenge the guard. Just walked right past him.
Unless I'm utterly misremembering.

watershed

Banned
The 3 complaints I included in my survey were the super small text, the abrupt battle transition, and the limited npc dialogue.

I should have included random battles but I assume that's not going to change at this point. I also don't understand why the game doesn't give you an equip option right after you purchase new armor or weapons. I bought a new weapon and didn't even think to go to a separate equip menu because I thought the game did it already.

Top Bottom