• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project P-100 (Nintendo/Platinum Games) announced for WiiU [Director: Hideki Kamiya]

Neiteio

Are these shoddy offscreen videos the best our E3 journos have to offer? Surely someone will take direct-feed footage of a complete play-through? (Like the Gamespot video but the video directly recorded.)

wsippel

Banned
seriously doubting Nintendo will let an outside dev go crazy with one of their IPs...and I d rather have Kamiya do things his way.
F-Zero GX/ AX (Amusement Vision), Metroid: Other M (Team Ninja), Luigi's Mansion 2 (Next Level), Pilotwings Resort (Monster)...

I don't see it that way. Beyond the aforementioned F-Zero GX, let's not forget that Nintendo allowed two different outside developers to make their own Star Fox games, one of which wasn't even originally a Star Fox game at all.

Besides, it's not like there's a clear-cut template anymore for what exactly constitutes a StarFox game. Whatever Kamiya could stand to do with StarFox would likely be just as "valid" an approach as anything else others have tried in the last decade.

Don't forget Tecmo with Metroid Other M

ahhhh beaten... :(

monome

Hummmmm....
Wish Kamiya gets his way, yet I suppose he would greatly rework thr design of a star fox game...

and there is the screenpad.
Nintendo will want it used when all I want is tight as fuck gameplay

All your examples are valid but Star Fox needs more then taking a slightly different road.
Tight as fuck air combat no fucking Dinosaur adventures unless you can infinite combo giant Trex.
should be the DMC of airsims to match Kamiya s greatness, a fucking macross bullet hell ballet.

monome

Not talking about the job done by outside companies, I m talking reimagining!

Other M counts, but was a safer approach than Prime.

Kamiya is irreverantial, does not bode well with Nintendo family approach...

Lucas Arts should get PG do a jedi game.

Penguin

Reading the first page or so of this thread is so weird.
I think it was just the post-conference rage clouding everyone's mind.

I had the same initial reaction, but this game has won me over big time!

Not talking about the job done by outside companies, I m talking reimagining!

Other M counts, but was a safer approach than Prime.

Kamiya is irreverantial, does not bode well with Nintendo family approach...

Lucas Arts should get PG do a jedi game.

Perhaps minor games, but would also mention
Headstrong Games and Batallion Wars
Monster Games with the Excite-Brand
And Next Level Games with Mario Soccer, which is an extreme change in style from Mario's usual sports antics.

Really love the emphasis JC is putting on Platinum and the team in the Gamespot demonstration.

You work at Platinum, right? What's the bored, turquoise haired girls name? She needs to be in Smash. Make it happen.

If that true we need to know from him if the game is 60 or 30 and 1080 or 720.
Im sorry but a "Nintendo rep" is usually somone that really knows nothing about the inside of the real company so his words dont mean shit, so i will feel more secure if somebody inside platinum could confirm.

monome

I want realistic furry characters.
Air combat straight out of a macross battle with mechs, lasers, hand weapons.
Mass effect style dialogue and progression.
Vanquishesque foot assault.

Nintendo will do that? Or will I go trough circles and try to aim with the stylus?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Okay I was skeptical and pissed at first because it wasn't Bayonetta 2. But I must admit that I am super excited for Pikmin Heroes after watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9YjceHWgC8

Woah. The moment I heard Kamiya I was on board but if I'm being honest I was a more than a bit disappointed it wasn't some action game with crazy graphics and such and then the screens came and I was like WTF is this, a wiiware canned game making its way to the U? Now, affter looking at the gameplay demo videos I'm super fucking pumped, this looks an absurdely awesome, crazy new IP and I love the aesthetics.

Two choices PGxN made that I'm disappointed at are:

1) Destruction, when not scripted, has not effect and more importantly it doesn't stick... What the hell at giant robot falling or smashing the street and 2secs after it's good as new again. :/ please, please fix this :(

2) I get it they went comic book style with bubbles speech and everything but it's obvious to me it's just a budget constraint related decision, there was nothing good about the characters coming up in the heat of an action cut-scene and all you hear is BEEPBEBEPBEEPBEPBEEEEEP and I know this will cause the game to get points docked by reviewers/potential audience 'cause of the no voiceovers choice. I will look past that, but I don't like it either, this is a frantic action game and not Zelda, doesn't fit the mood and the flow of the game imo.

3) it's apparently 30fps? I find it hard to believe this, I know it's 720p no AA so c'mon even PIkmin 3 is 60fps, hopefully this isn't true and they also add AA.

Are you judging this based on a Youtube video? :

Lol wut
Youtube encodes only up to 30fps, we should wait for Gamersyde's videos. But a few reports from the showfloor, which I don't if we should actually believe in, seem to indicate it was running at 720p, no AA@30fps.

Yeah, that's true. It's really a dream, I hope they can do more great games for nintendo. A Platinumgames made Starfox isn't so far away anymore.

Nah, I want Treasure to do that. And Gradius VI/Sin&Punishment 3 :D

monome

Why do you want that in a rail shooter?
precisely.

Don t want a guy who can make Bayonetta doing a railshooter.

I can t possibly understand how Bayonetta is so well oiled and packed to the teeth.

I m ok with star fox if it is an action game. Could be fun to see what he does when the environment is opened.

P100 is ok.
But it s not a showcase of what Kamiya can do.
He s a master at timing, precision, variety and sexyness.
The touch controls do not allow p100 to stand out for those.

Am I crazy?
Kamiya just did the best possible action game with naked lady and I should sell my house to get WiiU for an action pikmin game.
It will be cool.
But I m not drooling (yet), whereas Bayonetta (Sega for shits sake) got me hard from first annoucement to 4th replay...

Kamiya says he wants to make a Star Fox game. I say, let him make a Star Fox game. He can only help the series.

He probably wanted to make a Star Fox game because SF64 was (I think) one of his favorite games and he witnessed other devs mutilating the franchise afterwards. If he has that much passion for the series, I want to see his game for sure.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whoa, what happened to this thread? :p

On a related note a lot of Kamiya's works have some old japanese super hero references in them. IIRC Vanquish originally had a Friender-esque character.

monome

On a related note a lot of Kamiya's works have some old japanese super hero references in them. IIRC Vanquish originally had a Friender-esque character.
vanquish is mikami s baby and was inspired by casshern and was supposed to use a transforming animal as weapon

8mQlp.jpg

Nintendo will do that? Or will I go trough circles and try to aim with the stylus?

Please, never be a game developer.

iQmaUHYW6NQJy.gif

You're a weird guy, monome. Never change.

Carbonox

what is kamiyas best game?

Devil May Cry. The game that really kick started the 'stylish action' sub-genre. Its roots as Resident Evil 4 really boosted it as an overall game and not just a straight-forward character action title.

His other games are masterful but Devil May Cry will always stand out as his single most influential title.

Damnit, it's the Kamiya Mikami confusion again! Sorry guys!

Maybe in an alternate universe they're actually a single person.

The world wouldn't be able to handle so much win.

schlew

precisely.

Don t want a guy who can make Bayonetta doing a railshooter.

I can t possibly understand how Bayonetta is so well oiled and packed to the teeth.

I m ok with star fox if it is an action game. Could be fun to see what he does when the environment is opened.

P100 is ok.
But it s not a showcase of what Kamiya can do.
He s a master at timing, precision, variety and sexyness.
The touch controls do not allow p100 to stand out for those.

Am I crazy?
Kamiya just did the best possible action game with naked lady and I should sell my house to get WiiU for an action pikmin game.
It will be cool.
But I m not drooling (yet), whereas Bayonetta (Sega for shits sake) got me hard from first annoucement to 4th replay...

If you're so hung up on the touch controls, everything can also be done with buttons. I believe through a combination of the right stick and face buttons.

zroid

Banned
aww, was just reading a destructoid preview by Chad (whom I like) and he enjoyed the game but thinks the touch controls are pretty cumbersome. i hope it's not really that bad, or gets polished up by the time release rolls around.

Yuterald

Best quote of the thread.

I think that's a ridiculous quote. We don't even know the scope of P-100 yet. From one stage alone in that Gamestop demonstration we saw crazy set pieces getting ripped apart, etc. basically stuff that was along the lines of the city getting destroyed and the lava flowing through the streets in Bayonetta. Also, does this imply that Viewtiful Joe isn't in the same league as Bayonetta? What about Okami? I seriously don't understand how people look at things...

goldenpp72

Why should they waste ressources on a game that Treasure already made obsolete?

If you're referring to sin and punishment, I consider that game a hollow turd compared to the mighty star fox 64, and I love rail shooters. Hell kid icarus takes a dump on S&P easily, not a bad game but I find people overate it way too much.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
You work at Platinum, right? What's the bored, turquoise haired girls name? She needs to be in Smash. Make it happen.

I love her too. I would tell you her name, but, you know, Kyoto ninjas :)

If that true we need to know from him if the game is 60 or 30 and 1080 or 720.
Im sorry but a "Nintendo rep" is usually somone that really knows nothing about the inside of the real company so his words dont mean shit, so i will feel more secure if somebody inside platinum could confirm.

All I can say is PlatinumGames specializes in action games and prides itself on extremely fast controller response.

NEO0MJ

If you're referring to sin and punishment, I consider that game a hollow turd compared to the mighty star fox 64, and I love rail shooters. Hell kid icarus takes a dump on S&P easily, not a bad game but I find people overate it way too much.

Maybe the original S&P, but S&P:SS was just as fun as SF64.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm so pumped for this game that I had to go out and get Bayonetta today (I had neglected it till today, I'm more of a VJ guy). I intend to do a VJ-Byonetta-Okami combo for great justice, just in time for P-100's arrival.

Top Bottom