• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project P-100 (Nintendo/Platinum Games) announced for WiiU [Director: Hideki Kamiya]

Neiteio

NSAF has to be in the game. Maybe as DLC, if necessary.
NSAF? As in Non-Specific Action Figure? Brilliant!

Also, at 12:58 in the IGN video, the Continue screen shows the red hero lying on his face, naked save for his mask and boxer-clad ass, lol.

Interesting to note that clicking the right analog zooms the camera in while clicking the left analog zooms out. Also, the gelatin defense is officially "pudding," according to Trinen. Pudding parry, anyone? And the dodge mechanic appears to be the slinky transformation. Guarding is ZL and dodging is ZR.

It seems the basic gameplay is using X together with different directions and rotations of the left analog to perform Pikmin-style team attacks. Doing such replenishes your lead character's batteries. Then you use the touchscreen OR right analog to trace patterns to transform: circle for the fist, straight line for the sword and right angle for the gun, wielded by the red, blue and green leader heroes, respectively. You then use these attacks with the A button, and cancel out of them with Y. The transformations seem to consume battery power. Also, the more people you recruit into your team (you do this by drawing a circle around citizens), the stronger your transformation, I.E. more bullets for the gun morph.

If I'm understanding correctly, the battery usage/people count also applies when morphing into ladders, chains, etc, in the field. Exploration seems to be rewarded by finding additional batteries; think of them like the Heart Containers in Zelda. I wonder what the cogs do that spill out of the fallen enemies? Some kind of currency, perhaps?

One other tidbit: Trinen confirms the level in the E3 demo is VERY early in the game's campaign. And the "100" in P-100 apparently refers to the ability to have as many as 100 heroes on your team, though Trinen says he personally has not been skillful enough to achieve this feat.

VegaNine

I wonder what the cogs do that spill out of the fallen enemies? Some kind of currency, perhaps?

The 'Mission Cleared' ranking screens don't seem to tally them as points, so they must have an actual function.

One other tidbit: Trinen confirms the level in the E3 demo is VERY early in the game's campaign.

Yeah, everything shown seems to be from the start of the game.

The demo begins at "Mission 001" and leads up to the boss at "Mission 005." In the game's trailer, the scene with the football field also reads "Mission 005." So the either the Mission continues after the boss (which I find surprising), or the demo was abridged and the football field was cut out.

Anyways, the trailer shows Missions only as high "007," so altogether, we've seen very little.

And the "100" in P-100 apparently refers to the ability to have as many as 100 heroes on your team, though Trinen says he personally has not been skillful enough to achieve this feat.

I've found a "breakdown video" of the game's trailer which, despite telling us nothing and being horribly misinformed, theorizes that the "P" in P-100 may stand for "posse." I'll link the video, but consider my warning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SwRqi9X3KdA#!

Neiteio

So candidates for words that may be in the title: "M," "Morph," "Unite," "Posse," "Rush" (what the team attacks are called). Any more?

Interesting to note that the game's English writer is at Platinum, according to Trinen when IGN commented on how colorful the boss names are. Trinen said Platinum has a fantastic writer giving the text a lot of fun flavor. He also confirmed that while the bosses in the demo have names, the main heroes do not have names YET, nor does the game: Project P-100 is, indeed, a working title, as has been repeatedly said.

I'm looking forward to hearing what they call the characters in the end. The red one and blue one give me Dante and Vergil vibes, lol.

Doorman

On one hand I'm a little disappointed that the Treehouse apparently isn't getting involved with some of the English writing, I'm positive after seeing what they did with Kid Icarus that they could have a fantastic time giving input on this one. As for the title, since the group attacks were all being referred to as "Unite attacks" in the in-game language, I would guess it probably has something to do with the title in the end. Maybe Unite Force, or Unity Heroes or something. Emphasis on the U, of course, given the name of the system.

I LOVE how the heroes look like they are made of plastic lol
And the blurring effect plus the smooth, clean looking colors make the levels look like the most elaborate action figure playset ever made.

<3

Oh shit you're right. I was trying to figure out why they looked so odd but they're all action figures in their dialogue portraits!

That would explain the batteries.

I'll re-quote something I wrote earlier in the topic that got kinda glossed over, as it also falls in line with a lot of this speculation:
Doorman said:
One thing to note that I'm not sure has gotten much attention from that Gamespot walkthrough...The giant robot that the heroes are fighting, from about 3:20 on you can see that once you bust off the armored shell, it is literally made out of LEGOs. For all the descriptions of this game looking like you're playing with a giant interactive toybox, something like that makes me wonder if the real storyline isn't far from the truth. I suddenly get a very OG-Smash Bros vibe from this, like the "attack" being played out is actually all just a creation of the player's imagination.

It even kind of plays into the "Unite" feature of the game of stacking little people together in various ways to make shapes, but taken to the extreme. Intriguing!

With the way all of this comes together, it definitely seems like "living toybox" is the motif they're going with, at least in terms of art-style if not the actual storyline.

Neiteio

I'm an absolute glutton for action games, Bulletstorm to RE: Mercenaries to Vanquish, and I'm FROTHING to try this game. I want to hop on those playset balconies and run on rooftops. I want to air-juggle robots. I want to turn to pudding and bounce back missiles. I want to become a slinky and dodge around. I want to fire people out of the gun, or knock around baddies with the sword. Just the simple act of scurrying around looks fast, fluid and fun.

The only thing that seems the slightest bit spotty is how the "recruit" circle occasionally doesn't regiser, failing to turn citizens into heroes. But that's either something Platinum will iron out -- they're perfectionists when it comes to control, after all -- or something you execute more consistently with practice.

I'm just starved to play this game. The world, which at first glance struck me as DC Universe sterile, now feels the equivalent of modern-day Earthbound, teeming with detail and tangible charm. I want to run around that world, study its layout, see it collapse and crumble, pummel robots to pieces, etc. I really hope this is there on Day One.

Jintor

Non-specific action figure is something amusing in moderation.

Nintendo's little Iwata good-job thing was the funniest.

Neiteio

Let's talk MULTIPLAYER. This has not been discussed by any of the devs, as far as I know, and I don't think Nintendo's even formally announced it, listing the game as single-player. And yet, we have extensive footage showing four-player co-op. Click that link and study the footage, from the game's official trailer. What can we deduce from it?

Note P1 (red), P2 (blue), P3 (yellow) and P4 (green). There's a single green bar at the top of the screen, no different from your HP in single-player. A shared health bar, perhaps? If this is the case, then the blue bars on the indvidual tabs, one for each player, probaby tell each player's battery level. They eschewed the individual battery icons and rolled them into the smaller, blue bars in the interest of saving real estate. Note at 1:20 one of the blue bars is red -- a low-energy level indicator for that player's batteries?

Also note that each player seems capable of using all of the morph powers -- from scene to scene, the various players wield the familiar fist, sword and gun, and a fourth morph power, the hammer (yellow-colored). So it seems each player has the full suite of moves. I guess that since only one or two players can use the WiiU GamePad, in four-player some players would have to use the pro controller. But Trinen confirmed you can do all the drawing moves with the right analog, so it makes sense.

Even though we have visual evidence of its existence, I still wish Nintendo would comment on the multiplayer...

Neiteio

How will you enter buildings without a screen?

Hopefully the co-op is online!!
This is a good question. I guess there are a number of ways they could approach it. One way that comes to mind would be for the player who has the WiiU GamePad to handle it while the others wait outside for him/her to open the path through the building. This is bearable enough in local multiplayer where you can chide the pad user in person. If the game's online (which would be fantastic), they could perhaps show a small screen on the TV depicting what the WiiU pad player is doing, to mitigate the "wait."

Perhaps they are waiting until they talk about online or something.
Perhaps. I just hope the mode isn't hanging in limbo or something. They dedicated 20 seconds to multiplayer in their two-minute trailer, which is a LOT, relatively speaking. This would seem to suggest multiplayer is up and running, fully functional and something they've committed to including in the final game... even if Nintendo's not talking about it just yet.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the absence at the press conference wasn't partially due to the fact the game doesn't have a final name yet and they don't want to start building a brand on a name subject to change? I mean, I know they showed Sing and it's the same deal, but P-100 is character-oriented and needs to associate a name with a character's face...

duckroll

The trailer has multiplayer, but strangely enough in the Gamespot playthrough, if you listen to the conversation going on, they clearly say that this is a single player focused game and that they're not really thinking much about multiplayer at this time at all. Maybe the trailer included concept footage, or maybe there are minigame modes for MP and nothing more.

Neiteio

The trailer has multiplayer, but strangely enough in the Gamespot playthrough, if you listen to the conversation going on, they clearly say that this is a single player focused game and that they're not really thinking much about multiplayer at this time at all. Maybe the trailer included concept footage, or maybe there are minigame modes for MP and nothing more.
I've watched that Gamespot walkthrough, and I recall them saying something about single-player, but not in such a way that it was to the exclusion of multiplayer. Anyone have the exact quote handy?

Doorman

While I agree that an online mode for this game would be stellar (the fast action style brings back memories of the co-op arcade beat-em-ups of old) I'm very skeptical of them being able to pull off something like that. It's the same reason I'm afraid that any multiplayer function in Pikmin 3 would be offline-only as well, I just don't know how well they'd be able to rig up the system to synch up that many individually-moving characters across multiple consoles online. There are some ways to work around it I suppose, but neither Nintendo nor Platinum have much experience creating an online game with that sort of scale.

Neiteio

OK, found the passage you mentioned. From the Gamespot walkthrough, around the 5:30 mark:

Reporter: "One of the things that came out of the Nintendo press conference this morning was Nintendo confirming that multiple gamepads can be used in a single game. Are you guys focusing on a single-player experiene here, or branching out to multiple pads, remotes and nunchuks for the players?"

NOA rep: "The way we look at it is for right now, for this particular game, Project P-100 is a single GamePad experience. Although the WiiU can support more than one WiiU GamePad, we will let the producers, developers and directors decide what tools are best for their particular experience and what they want to bring to the table."

Is this what you were talking about? It sounds like he might be just saying that the game only uses one WiiU GamPad, as in the screen controller. That doesn't necessarily preclude the use of pro controllers for four-player. But yeah, I do wonder why he wouldn't mention multiplayer in some capacity unless he interpreted the reporter's question to solely focus on the WiiU GamePad.

While I agree that an online mode for this game would be stellar (the fast action style brings back memories of the co-op arcade beat-em-ups of old) I'm very skeptical of them being able to pull off something like that. It's the same reason I'm afraid that any multiplayer function in Pikmin 3 would be offline-only as well, I just don't know how well they'd be able to rig up the system to synch up that many individually-moving characters across multiple consoles online. There are some ways to work around it I suppose, but neither Nintendo nor Platinum have much experience creating an online game with that sort of scale.
I don't know much about how online works in videogames (even though I play more than my fair share)! Would it really be difficult to match up this sort of frame data across the different systems?

DLC multiplayer obviously. Damn you Nintendo!
Nintendo, don't even dare.

This is amazing. <3 Iwata, <3 Non-Specific Action Figure.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As much as I loved Vanquish the artstyle alone is more than enough to turn me off especially since it's for a console I haven't seen a game I want to play on it yet.

The art looks like .99 cent/f2p dime a dozen Korean arpgs from ios/android.

This game looks fun as hell, and if it comes close to Viewtiful Joe in awesomeness I'm totally there day 1. Especially with DAT COOP.

Really pleased at all the coop games at launch. It's absolutely killer and is a good sell yer buddies type of move.

Neiteio

As much as I loved Vanquish the artstyle alone is more than enough to turn me off especially since it's for a console I haven't seen a game I want to play on it yet.

The art looks like .99 cent/f2p dime a dozen Korean arpgs from ios/android.
I actually felt the same way at first, which may be surprising given how much I love it now (also, I'm a HUGE Vanquish fan). But when I watched the Gamespot walkthrough, I fell in love with the giant robots and their designs: bulky but intricate; lines glowing, cables shuddering, etc. I fell for the charm of the little heroes scurrying about (including one with a toilet bowl on his head) and the Earthbound-esque look of the town. And the clean artstyle and isometric view works so well with the field of depth effects, fluid framerate and smooth image quality. It looks solid, tangible, like toys in a diorama. Little flourishes like the "Extra, extra" newspaper framing each battle and the comic book bubbles adds to the feeling this is a Viewtiful Joe successor of sorts.

It begins to feel like some classic IP from the golden days of the Super NES, not in its simplicity but in its infectious joy. To me it already feels as classic as, say, Ghosts 'n Goblins. But it still has the raw energy, the action of a Platinum game. Launching enemies into the air, smacking them back to the ground. Bosses breaking out new forms and exploding when defeated. Finding that rhythm and using all the tactics at your disposal. It's really rekindled something in me.

Now I just hope I'll be able to play it with friends in multiplayer, but I wouldn't be completely crestfallen if it was single-player only. It looks incredibly fun either way.

hatchx

Banned
As cool as this game looks, I really hope it's an eshop game and at a reduced price.

I don't see myself dropping more than 39.99 on this unless it's got some crazy depth.

Neiteio

As cool as this game looks, I really hope it's an eshop game and at a reduced price.

I don't see myself dropping more than 39.99 on this unless it's got some crazy depth.
The game looks plenty deep. The different tactics used in the Gamespot and IGN walkthroughs illustrate this, imo. One of those accessible but deep sort of deals.

Esiquio

Just saw that walkthrough with Trinen. Game looks pretty damn awesome and I'll definitely give it a go, even though it doesn't look like my typical kind of game.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I actually felt the same way at first, which may be surprising given how much I love it now (also, I'm a HUGE Vanquish fan). But when I watched the Gamespot walkthrough, I fell in love with the giant robots and their designs: bulky but intricate; lines glowing, cables shuddering, etc. I fell for the charm of the little heroes scurrying about (including one with a toilet bowl on his head) and the Earthbound-esque look of the town. And the clean artstyle and isometric view works so well with the field of depth effects, fluid framerate and smooth image quality. It looks solid, tangible, like toys in a diorama. Little flourishes like the "Extra, extra" newspaper framing each battle and the comic book bubbles adds to the feeling this is a Viewtiful Joe successor of sorts.

It begins to feel like some classic IP from the golden days of the Super NES, not in its simplicity but in its infectious joy. To me it already feels as classic as, say, Ghosts 'n Goblins. But it still has the raw energy, the action of a Platinum game. Launching enemies into the air, smacking them back to the ground. Bosses breaking out new forms and exploding when defeated. Finding that rhythm and using all the tactics at your disposal. It's really rekindled something in me.

Now I just hope I'll be able to play it with friends in multiplayer, but I wouldn't be completely crestfallen if it was single-player only. It looks incredibly fun either way.

I love this post.

Penguin

This is why I love the game industry.

"Gah all AAA games look the same. So much shooters"

Game looks different

"Pfft as if I'm going to pay full price for something like that!"

roddur

this game does many things very cool. in the trailer at the end when a helicopter flies by and the heroes hang on to that forming a hand the word 'cool' came out automatically. and like a gaffer (wsippel?) i'm in love with the torquise hair bored girl :)

zroid

Banned
If the "city" backdrop is the first setting of the game, I can really see things getting completely batshit in terms of locations as it progresses. Will be amazing. The tone and characterization have me very hopeful.

jett

D-Member
I don't understand the complaints about art style, this is the best looking game Plantium has made yet. Vanquish is exclusively grey with swathes of white and Bayonetta is bathed in piss yellow. P-100 not only has a varied assortment of colors, it also has really nice, bright, saturday morning cartoon CGI-like lighting and really nice use of depth of field. I only wonder if it's 60 or 30fps, I read some guy saying it was 30.

zroid

Banned
I don't understand the complaints about art style, this is the best looking game Plantium has made yet

I haven't really considered it before, because I'm not particularly interested in comparing Platinum's games to one another, but I think I actually agree. It looks lovely. The colour palette and models remind me of Toy Story.

Penguin

Crazy suggestion:

* Each leader has a special power

* P1's is "Sight without light", or something

It seems that would make sense, since they keep mentioning that each hero has his own unique set of powers.

So imagine strategy will also come from that.

Poyunch

Judging from the fact that collecting unique civilians (like the guy sleeping on the bench) brings up a unique, numbered card, I'm betting P-100 implies there are 100 unique superheroes to be "recruited".

zroid

Banned
Judging from the fact that collecting unique civilians (like the guy sleeping on the bench) brings up a unique, numbered card, I'm betting P-100 implies there are 100 unique superheroes to be "recruited".

Trinen actually confirmed this in the IGN video

aeolist

Banned
This game and Pikmin both look like they're using DoF to make that kind of tilt-shift effect Sim City has

Love that look

Top Bottom