• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project P-100 (Nintendo/Platinum Games) announced for WiiU [Director: Hideki Kamiya]

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
this game is growing my interest about it mre and more at every video I see.
about multy: probably it will be with 1 gamepad + remotes? so we could understand their statment but also the multi in the trailer..
or multi will be just for, I don't know: boss rush?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Sirius

That boss fight pre-empted by the crumbling earthquake, and fighting on-top of that colossus in the midst of the air force going all guns blazing.. incredible.

It's pretty much an Avenger army. Really, I'm sold.

Morokh

I was pretty 'meh' about this game until thet IGN video, now i'm still not that excited, but i'm starting to see some potential

Neiteio

I also love the animations and effects. The glowy special attacks and the boss drill arm looked really cool.
I never get tired of seeing the pudding parry bring a tank shell to a momentary stop, and then bouncing it right back at the bad guy. In the IGN video, the pudding parry is even used to bounce back the hand of colossus at the end. It took split-second timing but it worked!

Something to note about the pudding: the "knob" at the top contains the lil' flying robot that follows them around, while the "mass" of the pudding is made up of the heroes. I suspect the lil' flying robot is what enables the heroes to transform. It's always right over whichever of the three heroes is in the lead (red, blue or green).

stick gesturing seems a bit odd, but if it's quicker than drawing on the touchscreen, i'd be down for that
I get the impression from videos the right stick may be more efficient for the line-based morph attacks (sword and gun) but the screen might read the circle better for the fist and recruiting.

This is probably my most anticipated game of E3. I hope it's a launch game, or at least by Christmas!

What do you guys reckon the title of the game will end up being?

zroid

Banned
I want it to be a decidedly silly Engrish title, but there will be minimal marketability for that outside Japan, so I fear it won't get the awesomeness it deserves.

Yuterald

That IGN video demonstrated even more GREAT things about this game. The pudding main character seems like he can perfect guard projectiles and deflect them back at enemies. PERFECT! EVERY game needs some sort of counter/guard deflect mechanic. God knows Kamiya games always seem to have 'em! :)

I'm so glad you can perform the touch screen swipes with the analog stick too. A traditional control scheme is pretty much vital today after all these tablet/wiimote-like control schemes that may or may not feel as good as a traditional controller (look what happened with Donkey Kong Country Returns).

I'm still very much on board with this game. It's easily become my most wanted game (next to Yakuza 5, of course).

Ok, I was not interested in this game after watching the trailer the day it went up, but now, after watching the IGN video, I'm definitely interested in this unique game.

Alrus

After watching that IGN video, I'm pretty convinced that if it is a launch game, I'll get a Wii U right away for it. I really hope it's a launch game now >.>

I'll give you guys the reason it wasn't shown at the conference. Pikmin 3.

It doesn't look that pikmin-ish to me. The could have co-existed during the conference without seeming redundant.

gillFTR

It doesn't look that pikmin-ish to me. The could have co-existed during the conference without seeming redundant.

I mean to us as gamers, we can make the distinction. Both are still kind of fundamentally the same with a whole bunch of dudes running around working together. I would of easily went with P100 as the game of choice over Pikmin. Pretty sure Nintendo pushed it out of the conference to sell Pikmin 3.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I said this before, but I understand why Nintendo did not show it in their conference. At first glance, just really hard to portray what the game is IMO.

That said, the way Nintendo rolled it out was rather awkward. Trailer and info shows up right after conference, Spike unveiling, and it really got lost in the post-conference shuffle for a while. I read somewhere here that the demo stations were eventually increased, so hopefully Nintendo got the message.

gillFTR

I said this before, but I understand why Nintendo did not show it in their conference. At first glance, just really hard to portray what the game is IMO.

That said, the way Nintendo rolled it out was rather awkward. Trailer and info shows up right after conference, Spike unveiling, and it really got lost in the post-conference shuffle for a while. I read somewhere here that the demo stations were eventually increased, so hopefully Nintendo got the message.

Hopefully, I want to say I would get a Wii U just because of this game, but I made the same mistake with Twilight Princess with my Wii(great game but I literally went and got a 360 a month later).

Doorman

I mean to us as gamers, we can make the distinction. Both are still kind of fundamentally the same with a whole bunch of dudes running around working together. I would of easily went with P100 as the game of choice over Pikmin. Pretty sure Nintendo pushed it out of the conference to sell Pikmin 3.

I'm not sure that they would really "push out" one of their own games in order to sell one of their other games, exactly, but I agree that it probably would have taken more time and explanation than Nintendo wanted to allow for people to really understand how the game works and what makes it potentially something really special and unique. We've seen is play out in this very thread already: so many folks very very underwhelmed by the initial pictures and trailer, requiring a nearly 15 minute long demonstration to actually come around. Good luck trying to explain to a bunch of mainstream press within 5 minutes just what a "Mass Hero Action" game is.

I should mention just how much I love that they classified this game as Mass-Hero Action. As though that's so expected.

But yeah, first glance impressions haven't been very strong for this at all, a lot of fixation on that first citizen and the "kiddy" art-style didn't do them many favors. Still, I hope in the future they do bring it up a little better that this is a Kamiya/Platinum game, it's enough to at least tweak the interest of some people that might not normally have the Wii U on their radar.

gillFTR

I'm not sure that they would really "push out" one of their own games in order to sell one of their other games, exactly, but I agree that it probably would have taken more time and explanation than Nintendo wanted to allow for people to really understand how the game works and what makes it potentially something really special and unique. We've seen is play out in this very thread already: so many folks very very underwhelmed by the initial pictures and trailer, requiring a nearly 15 minute long demonstration to actually come around. Good luck trying to explain to a bunch of mainstream press within 5 minutes just what a "Mass Hero Action" game is.

I should mention just how much I love that they classified this game as Mass-Hero Action. As though that's so expected.

But yeah, first glance impressions haven't been very strong for this at all, a lot of fixation on that first citizen and the "kiddy" art-style didn't do them many favors. Still, I hope in the future they do bring it up a little better that this is a Kamiya/Platinum game, it's enough to at least tweak the interest of some people that might not normally have the Wii U on their radar.

I agree, maybe I'm just feeling underwhelmed by everything else Nintendo has shown. I don't want to fall into the same pattern with my Wii begging for games and some online functionality.

Poyunch

Let's be real. The combat doesn't look that deep. The game's draw will come from the various abilities but at its base, the core combat is simplistic. We'll see how crazy Platinum gets with later abilities and how well you can combo into them but as of this demo, it's not that deep. Cheap touchscreen gestures can only get you so far.

Effect

If it actually comes out launch day and not in April of next year, which according to Reggie in the IGN interview is fair game for the definition of "launch window," which P-100 falls under. :(

On another note, FOR THOSE TUNING IN: This direct-feed IGN walkthrough with NOA's Bill Trinen is the new must-watch P-100 footage.

Okay. This has sold me on the game. The game looked interesting before but actually want to play this now. Though I do have a concern of how long it will be and the replayability of the game. If those end up not being a concern that will be great. Especially if the game ends up being $60.

Neiteio

They should call the game Mass Action Hero!
Mass Action Hero is an AWESOME name. Tweet it to Kamiya!

Let's be real. The combat doesn't look that deep. The game's draw will come from the various abilities but at its base, the core combat is simplistic. We'll see how crazy Platinum gets with later abilities and how well you can combo into them but as of this demo, it's not that deep. Cheap touchscreen gestures can only get you so far.
The combat looks plenty deep. You know there are directional inputs like shoryukens and such used together with the normal and special attacks, right? And that you can do all of the transformation specials with quick flicks of the right stick instead of the touchscreen? And that you can pudding parry and slinky dodge?

Hiltz

It's great to see this game getting a lot of love. Of course, Nintendo and the other third-parties kind of made it an easy choice.

I agree. People have said that it doesn't actually play anything like Viewtiful Joe, and I can buy that, but I think it's going to be similar to that game in terms of the amount of abilities you have.

Forever

Banned
It's great to see this game getting a lot of love. Of course, Nintendo and the other third-parties kind of made it an easy choice.

I say it's a damn good thing that Nintendo had this on the floor. Imagine if they didn't have it. The hardcore would riot.

Instro

I don't understand the complaints about art style, this is the best looking game Plantium has made yet. Vanquish is exclusively grey with swathes of white and Bayonetta is bathed in piss yellow. P-100 not only has a varied assortment of colors, it also has really nice, bright, saturday morning cartoon CGI-like lighting and really nice use of depth of field. I only wonder if it's 60 or 30fps, I read some guy saying it was 30.

The PG guy in here earlier seemed to be implying that the final game will be 60fps. Perhaps that will be the case for the rest of the Nintendo software at launch.

Poyunch

I agree. People have said that it doesn't actually play anything like Viewtiful Joe, and I can buy that, but I think it's going to be similar to that game in terms of the amount of abilities you have.

The thing is the abilities have a much bigger disconnect to the main combat system. Viewtiful Joe's abilities (outside of his bomb and Voomerang) built upon his existing moves. A great way to handle this would be if the base combat of P-100 was purposely simple because you're supposed to be bouncing between guns, swords, fist, and hopefully a ton of more powers.

I would definitely be in support of that. But I'd want at least 100 original powers. :p

Poyunch

I don't understand the complaints about art style, this is the best looking game Plantium has made yet. Vanquish is exclusively grey with swathes of white and Bayonetta is bathed in piss yellow. P-100 not only has a varied assortment of colors, it also has really nice, bright, saturday morning cartoon CGI-like lighting and really nice use of depth of field. I only wonder if it's 60 or 30fps, I read some guy saying it was 30.

The color palette is nice but the robot designs are really generic. That's my only beef with it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
BTW, it appears the scene of the invasion is called Blossom City.

Top Bottom