• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Spark Information Q&A

nbraun80

Still looking forward to this fellas. :). Hopefully we all can get in after this first hiccup. Also anyone can feel free to do the beta OT when the time comes, I know I haven't kept this one the most up-to-date. Ha

J10

Banned
I don't want to seem too impatient, but are there any news about the beta since last week ?

They've just gone through their first patch and are now dishing out beta keys via email in chronological order about a thousand at a time (over 100k people registered). I wouldn't expect much activity from the devs until after New Years, but you can monitor the live streams, Twitter and Facebook feeds for certain people in the community tossing out beta codes if you want. Otherwise, it's still just a waiting game.

Alx

Thanks. As a matter of fact, I just got the email with my key, I'm currently downloading the app. Can't wait. :)

wwm0nkey

Okay so next batch should be sent soon and if you signed up on E3 you will get in. Still haven't got mine but I should whenever the batch goes out.

belushy

Banned
I got my invitation email just now, but I got into the beta about a week ago thanks to Mike. So I have a key right here. First person to quote gets it. Only thing I ask is that when you get your beta invite, you give it out to someone else so they can get in as well.

jwk94

I got my invitation email just now, but I got into the beta about a week ago thanks to Mike. So I have a key right here. First person to quote gets it. Only thing I ask is that when you get your beta invite, you give it out to someone else so they can get in as well.

May i have it?

jem0208

Got my key last night! Only played for about an hour because it was 2am. Seems pretty solid on the whole. The camera is a bit clunky and can be quite annoying to use but its passable. Currently trying to make an FPS where the projectile comes from the center of the players body. Harder than it sounds.

Also, if someone wants to get a key early. Go to http://www.project-spark.org/ and sign up. I got a key just for introducing myself.

Alx

I really like the brain programming. It takes some time to get used to it, but it's impressive how fast you can go once you know what you're doing. I spent a whole evening the first day to build a level with characters kicking balls into goals, lost it because of a bug, then made it again in a shorter and more elegant way in no time.
Some features handle object abstraction remarkably well, there is a function to display info on the overlay for example, I was using it to display the value of a variable and it could display the number or a true/false message. Then I tried to use it to display the "owner" of the ball object, and it displayed an animated picture of the character. Very nice touch.

I suck at terrain sculpting though. I wonder if it would be easier with a touch interface ; have some people tried it with a Surface Pro ? I was considering buying one anyway.

Horp

It seems like these days games are either "weird and indie" (which I love) or AAA cinematic (which can be cool too) or F2P moneyscams. Project Spark-made games looks like those games that barely exist anymore, B-grade action RPGs. I don't know though really, haven't studied this in depth.

Nice to hear some impressions, more I have seen the more I keep getting impressed by it.
I signed up for beta in June after E3, still haven't heard anything :(
Is it a worldwide beta or just selected regions?

Lucent

Just crossing my fingers and hoping I can get a beta key for the Xbox One version. My laptop will not run this well enough to enjoy it. =(

klaus

Nice to hear some impressions, more I have seen the more I keep getting impressed by it.
I signed up for beta in June after E3, still haven't heard anything :(
Is it a worldwide beta or just selected regions?

Guess I got left out even though I signed up on the 11th :(

I was also still waiting for the Beta invitation, watched the community twitch feed, asked about a beta key - and voilà :)

So if you want a key, just sign up at twitch and talk to the guys there, they are really generous - you just have to answer a few questions (when did you sign up, what are your plans with project spark).

edit:
Just crossing my fingers and hoping I can get a beta key for the Xbox One version. My laptop will not run this well enough to enjoy it. =(
I fear my notebook will also have troubles running it (still downloading the Win 8.1 update) - but I really don't want to wait any longer to create crazy stuff :p

Alx

I started "playing" the beta with a Surface pro this week-end, and the touch interface makes it really, really more convenient : the stylus is great for sculpting and painting, and moving the camera with two fingers is really comfortable (especially compared to the awkward WASD/QE using the keyboard).
It seems that the menus in general were designed for touch interface first. I wonder how the experience will be on consoles, but I hope the editor will support smart glass (I should watch the reveal video again, I think they were swapping between console, PC and kinect, but I'm not so sure any more).

Lucent

Nope, didn't get one. It's just as well, though. Like I've said, I don't think I can run it.

But I hope that doesn't decrease my chances of getting the X1 beta. If I could run the PC beta, I would definitely be very active. Hopefully I'll have my chance on the X1.

The Flash

Banned
I never got a beta key even though I signed up back in July and also signed up for that "early access" thing that we had here. I am a sad panda :(

belushy

Banned
Still no beta invite on this end. Was there anything that came from 'the list' that was assembled?

Unfortunately not... I'm sure they are pretty busy though and just forgot about the list I provided. Really unfortunate for those of you who haven't gotten in yet.

klaus

Still no beta invite on this end. Was there anything that came from 'the list' that was assembled?

I never got a beta key even though I signed up back in July and also signed up for that "early access" thing that we had here. I am a sad panda :(

Just go to the Project Spark Community Twitch feed: http://twitch.tv/projectsparkcommunity

They are handing out keys right now - they are even actively asking in the chat if someone likes a key :)

jond76

Banned
I can verify that they are giving out beta keys on the twitch steam. Got mine!

Played through a crossroads game. Very cool.

munroe

The following may not be valid anymore but worth a try.

If you meet the following criteria:

-have Facebook account
-liked Project Spark official page
-signed up for beta using their beta sign up page
-able to use the key asap/spend a reasonable amount of time playing the beta

Then if you message them stating that you can play and have windows 8 and signed up for beta they will probably Facebook message you a key, that's how I got mine.

Snackawho

I have a key to give out since I've already been in the beta for a week. PM me for the key if you don't have one.

Edit: already given out

Alx

I'm not getting many downloads/feedback on my first creation (SparkMan 1.1). :(
It's a simple pac-man clone (with issues with the ghost pathfinding, I'll try to improve that later), but I thought it was fun to make.

Top Bottom