• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Spark Information Q&A

There's one piece of info from the stream I found a little troubling. So you can unlock or buy creation assets. Totally cool. But what if you're trying to play or remix a game made with assets you have neither bought nor unlocked?

Remixing games containing assets that you don't own is not possible. That makes sense. Playing content you don't own is slightly more complicated.

Players are granted 20 minutes a day of "Spark Time" which allows them to play games that contain assets that they have neither unlocked nor purchased. And if I understood it correctly, if you want to play said game for longer than 20 minutes you can either spend time away from that game in create modes to unlock those assets, you can outright purchase the assets, or you can purchase more Spark Time.

So, as a creator, if I pay for or unlock all the assets I need for my creation, which I am totally willing to do, I might have to also convince other people to buy those assets to experience my game for more than 20 minutes. I think this would be a fairly easy sell for people already buying into the Project Spark ecosystem - those people are likely creators too and will probably want some of that stuff for themselves anyway. But my game is a tougher sell to anybody outside of that ecosystem, and my game is likely reduced to a timed demo. That makes investing time and money into extended projects a little less inviting.

Having to actually "sell" content for Team Dakota so others can play my game was not something I was expecting to have to do.

Damn... This indeed doesn't sound very good...

They seem very open to the community, though, so I hope that they will receive the feedback and eventually improve this system...

Vico

The economy system is indeed the only thing I'm scared about Project Spark. It sounds like it's going to be really expensive.

But man... This game deserves to be in the spotlight. Right now, nobody seems to care about it.

Stampy

So guys, judging by the info other are spreading, the beta is really soon now. Probably later this week or at the start of next.

After watching the stream regarding f2p details for the second time, I am not as skeptic about this process as I was. Only thing that could be improved is to change minutes of playing levels with content you don't have, for number of levels you play per day. It's hard to believe people will want to play someones level again if they are interrupted midway, but don't have enough coins to buy spark power.

BTW, Mike, is Project Spark region restricted. Or will it be availbale in any Windows store region? I guess I have to use my banana country region in order to be able to use my credit card?

Also is the region account then latter linked to the user account on the xbox?

jem0208

I'm really not too sure about this Spark Time stuff.

If what I'm reading is correct then to play levels made with content you don't own you have 20 minutes then you have to either buy the content or purchase more time?

If so that's going to discourage creators from buying packs and therefore stop players from buying Spark Time. Creators want as many people to play their levels as possible and if using bought content causes this split in the possible player base no one is going to use them. Especially considering the items we get for free allow for such a wide array of different games. This sort of fragmentation of the player base seems like a very bad idea. I'm all for charging for content packs to create with them (you need to make money somehow) however charging to play with them as well seems like a very bad idea.

I think Team Dakota seriously need to re-think the current system. I can't see it working very well at all currently.

J10

Banned
I'm really not too sure about this Spark Time stuff.

If what I'm reading is correct then to play levels made with content you don't own you have 20 minutes then you have to either buy the content or purchase more time?

If so that's going to discourage creators from buying packs and therefore stop players from buying Spark Time. Creators want as many people to play their levels as possible and if using bought content causes this split in the possible player base no one is going to use them. Especially considering the items we get for free allow for such a wide array of different games. This sort of fragmentation of the player base seems like a very bad idea. I'm all for charging for content packs to create with them (you need to make money somehow) however charging to play with them as well seems like a very bad idea.

I think Team Dakota seriously need to re-think the current system. I can't see it working very well at all currently.

There is a credit system, too. You earn credits by playing and creating. Credits can be used to unlock creation assets or acquire more Spark Time. Maybe you could bank enough credits just by playing the totally free stuff so that you can play timed stuff for extended periods. Maybe. Assuming that's even worthwhile. I'm not really sure I understand the appeal of free-to-play models like this from the perspective of a gamer, but whatever.

Stampy

There is a credit system, too. You earn credits by playing and creating. Credits can be used to unlock creation assets or acquire more Spark Time. Maybe you could bank enough credits just by playing the totally free stuff so that you can play timed stuff for extended periods. Maybe. Assuming that's even worthwhile. I'm not really sure I understand the appeal of free-to-play models like this from the perspective of a gamer, but whatever.

Basically the whole system depends on how well balanced it is. If the in-game currency is easily attainable, then i don't see he problem, but I guess we will have to wait and see to judge that...

Regardless, i can't wait for the beta to start doing some experimentation.

J10

Banned
If the in-game currency is easily attainable, they make no money, which is why I assume it won't be. Someone needs to tally up the total cost of all the assets available at launch, in both real money and credits, versus the rate of credit acquisition. Honestly, I don't see how the game could be profitable if everybody can just grind em all out in the span of a week or two; I'm not so impatient that I'll drop fifty or a hundred bucks for stuff I can have for free a couple of weeks later. I would imagine the individual items are unlocked like a drip feed, while saving for the big content packs requires a significant time investment.

Basically the whole system depends on how well balanced it is. If the in-game currency is easily attainable, then i don't see he problem, but I guess we will have to wait and see to judge that...

Regardless, i can't wait for the beta to start doing some experimentation.
Really hoping the beta starts before the Xbone launches or else I don't know what I'm going to prioritize :(

Stampy

If the in-game currency is easily attainable, they make no money, which is why I assume it won't be. Someone needs to tally up the total cost of all the assets available at launch, in both real money and credits, versus the rate of credit acquisition. Honestly, I don't see how the game could be profitable if everybody can just grind em all out in the span of a week or two; I'm not so impatient that I'll drop fifty or a hundred bucks for stuff I can have for free a couple of weeks later. I would imagine the individual items are unlocked like a drip feed, while saving for the big content packs requires a significant time investment.

Hmm, you are probably right. :( But I still hope this won't become a gruelling process, because that would be totally opposite to the whole creation aspect. It all depends how fun they will make the daily goals. For example, they mentioned even some brain puzzles, which sounds cool.

Really hoping the beta starts before the Xbone launches or else I don't know what I'm going to prioritize :(

Umm, I think Mike told people that the beta will not start before Friday. And that is at the earliest.

BTW, there is also an example of beta invitation on Project Spark facebook. So the new/expected info from there is that the game will be entered through windows store. Also the final game is expected for Spring 2014.

elyetis

Kind of forgot about Project Spark since the beta sign up, just reading some of the things I missed, just got me highly excited again about what we will be able to do ( and how easy it might be ).

Mike_Lescault

Neo Member
Watching now. The guys look tired.

Tired and eager to shave these damn beards! :)

The basic idea behind economy is that we want to reward people for playing, creating, and sharing. As a general rule, you must own a content pack in order to play or remix UGC that contains items from that pack. We came up with Spark Time to help allow users to have some free time to play anything, even if they don't own the content, in the hopes that it will inspire them to get that content.

We also allow people to make their account "Spark Powered", which is essentially like premium. It allows people unlimited access to playing any UGC, even if they do not own the content used it in. It also provides a bonus to XP and a bonus to credits earned.

Purchases can be made with either credits (earned in-game currency) or tokens (purchased currency). We don't currently have any token-only items for sale, but we may or may not have some in the future. We're still balancing all the numbers, and will continue to do so throughout beta, but you will be able to spend credits to purchase content packs, as well as Spark Power.

We have challenges that are good way to earn credits and xp. Some of the challenges reset daily, meaning that you could ultimately decide to complete them each day to accumulate credits to more or less keep you in a perpetual state of Spark Power. The devil will be in the balance details.

One of our goals is to nudge players into being creators, so there are challenges focused on playing Crossroads and creating simple things. Someone who wanted to just play UGC for free, would very likely end up doing the crossroads and creation challenges for the credit rewards, which (we hope), will get them hooked on the creation side of things.

Hope that helps provide a general overview of what we're hoping for. Obviously, beta is all about testing and balancing all these things and keeping with the spirit and core philosophy of the game, so everything is subject to change.

-Mike

Sydle

I've been thinking about this game a lot lately, with some ideas of what I'd like to create. Next year is going to be fun building things to get player feedback and trying designs from others, learning what works and what doesn't.

After I get the hang of it I would definitely would be interested in joining a team of creators.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
We also allow people to make their account "Spark Powered", which is essentially like premium. It allows people unlimited access to playing any UGC, even if they do not own the content used it in. It also provides a bonus to XP and a bonus to credits earned.

That sounds pretty cool depending on the price.

Lucent

Can't wait for the beta. I hope that the Xbox One beta isn't delayed too long. Of course, delays are okay as long as the end result is a better game. =D

dejay

Banned
I don't remember hearing about it - are saves and such saved in the cloud? It would make it easy to switch between 'bone and PC for editing, Kinect capture, testing and playing.

Stampy

BTW, guys who will be doing the beta topic? It would be good if someone would create the topic who would be willing to update it regularly with all the details (updates and stuff).

belushy

Banned
Yeah, I wanted to do it originally but I doubt I'd have a lot of time now at this point to update it regularly. Hopefully someone steps up, as the beta is getting pretty close.

Lucent

Here's the video from today's stream http://youtu.be/8bdrfh96gbI

It was a pretty neat look at the making of the Project Spark Intro Video, and how the team created in-game landscapes and "sets" for use in the final production.

That intro was awesome. I was thinking, "Man, if we can make landscapes that look that good with the game tools..." lol. It actually kind of gave me a Xenoblade vibe with that.

Lazaro

What are Spark Tokens?

There is now an Project Sparks entry in the Windows 8 Games App and under the Extras section there's these priced Tokens.
isitorisntitf2p4eij2.jpg

Do they limit creativity or something? I hope not!

belushy

Banned
What are Spark Tokens?

There is now an Project Sparks entry in the Windows 8 Games App and under the Extras section there's these priced Tokens.
isitorisntitf2p4eij2.jpg

Do they limit creativity or something? I hope not!

You have to unlock content through either real money or in-game credits. You won't need to buy anything with just money. (At this time at least)

Apparently the beta build has a bug that would negatively affect the new user experience, so they are going to limit the amount of people they open the beta to over the next 2 weeks until it is fixed.

tl;dr from a reddit user:
"If you play UGC(User Generated Content) or anything else that has content that you do not own (Content preview levels) and then go onto create a level, you will be LOCKED OUT of your own level."

In the Twitch chat, Mike said:
"My position was that I would talk with our core community folks and see if they felt the work around was reasonable and then we could send out keys to those that were okay with it."

So hopefully some of us are still able to get in ASAP :)

Azih

I don't see the benefit of locking away tools and content from a creativity app unless it's really just toon avatar stuff (and even that limits people). I hated how LBP locked tools and content behind the pretty damn hard single player campaign.

I don't see the benefit of locking away tools and content from a creativity app unless it's really just toon avatar stuff. I hated how LBP locked tools and content behind the pretty damn hard single player campaign.

I don't believe any tools are locked behind the paywall, just some of the props.
Project Spark is a free to play game, so the content packs support it financially.
And you can earn credits from playing the game to buy the content if you don't want to pay money.

Stampy

Everyone is expecting hickups in the beta, so it would be pretty strange if people expect smooth sailing. But anyway, I hope some of us from neogaf gets invited.

belushy

Banned
Didnt someone do a list so gaf could be as early as possible in the beta?? ;) hook us uppp!

I've got the list, but they won't be handing out keys until later this afternoon. A lot of the list probably won't get into the first batch since there is apparently something wrong with the beta. I'd say there is a good chance all of us will be in together with the second batch though. Not sure when that will be, but I doubt it will be all that long.

Lucent

I've got the list, but they won't be handing out keys until later this afternoon. A lot of the list probably won't get into the first batch since there is apparently something wrong with the beta. I'd say there is a good chance all of us will be in together with the second batch though. Not sure when that will be, but I doubt it will be all that long.

Sounds good to me. I hope they get everything ironed out. But as long as the workaround isn't difficult to do I guess it's okay.

wwm0nkey

There is a pretty easy way to download this by switching your region if you want to download before you get the key.

Link

Also is anyone doing the beta OT?

Geist

Neo Member
The sheer idea of this game gives me goosebumbs. I truly hope it pans out to be everything they say it will be. It feels almost too good to be true.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I signed up for the beta when it got announced, and I have yet to receive my key. Does that mean I didn't make it to the first round of invites? I am worried. I got to play the game during the BUILD conference and it was amazing. I need more time with it soon.

So the past two days I spent a good amount of time getting my feet wet with Project Spark.
This game is incredible.

The amount of polish in this beta puts recent EA launch builds to shame :p

Crossroads

The first thing I did (besides clicking all the glowing buttons!) was load up crossroads. I didn't go in expecting much from that mode, but dang I was surprised. I recommend that everyone goes through that mode, at least, before jumping into an empty world.

In crossroads, you play as a champion who runs through an empty world, terraforming it into a game, which you simultaneously play through.
All of the characters have default brains, but champions are characters with much more complex behavior. There are two built into the game, a goblin and a ranger. I played as the ranger.
(It seems that you can create your own champion characters and share those out to the world like assemblies)
The ranger had two different ranged attacks, the ability to create a decoy which allows you to run around invisible to get a tactical advantage, and some other cool things.

There are different zones around the world which you go around to and decide what should be built there.
In the town you make shops... out in the wild you make side quest areas: puzzles, mini bosses, etc.
Eventually you reach your end point and decide on the final boss you want.

By the time I was done, I felt like I created a small area of what could have been a AAA adventure game.

Create + Scripting

Today I jumped into an empty world and made a mini-game.
Anyone who has used Unity should be fairly comfortable with project spark right off the bat.
I've been using mouse and keyboard, as well as a 360 controller. The controller is really, really nice for programming the brains.

So far, I'm really liking the scripting.
It's fairly simple, but pretty powerful.

You can create custom number, boolean, vector, object, etc. variables.
Variables are local to the objects, but you can reference to other game objects and call their variables.
There is also a built in "Global" tile which you can store any variable in.

I haven't messed much with the pages, but they seem to allow you to create procedural functions to organize your brains.
You can't pass any variables to them as far as I can tell.

The lines of "Kode" end up flowing very naturally language-wise, kind of like Objective-C
"When bump player, do create explosion_fx at position of it with radius 6"

Play

They have several feeds to help you find user generated content.
There are sections like "Newest", "Top Rated", "Team Dakota created", etc.

Many of the Team Dakota levels they've shown off are on there.
Swan Song is there, the puzzle game with the reverse cubes, the game with the huge worm that digs into the ground, the Limbo-esque game, and some others.

There is already a bunch of user generated stuff too!
I'm a huge Sonic Adventure 2 fan and today I saw the beginnings of someone working on a Chao garden as well as the beginnings of an actual sonic level, so that got me pretty excited!

Loving my time with the game so far, can't wait to keep playing it :)

I signed up for the beta when it got announced, and I have yet to receive my key. Does that mean I didn't make it to the first round of invites? I am worried. I got to play the game during the BUILD conference and it was amazing. I need more time with it soon.

Yeah I signed up for beta during the announcement, but didn't receive an email so I don't think they've started sending out keys to those people yet.

I know Mike sent out some keys to those who tuned into the launch stream on Twitch, because that's how I received my key.

Best of luck man :)

Top Bottom