• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Spark Information Q&A

Stampy

Nice summary Garrett 2U. Can you gice us some info how much in-game credits can you earn per hour, just so we know how the system is set up?

I know Mike sent out some keys to those who tuned into the launch stream on Twitch, because that's how I received my key.

Best of luck man :)

Argh, the cruel fate... Why did they move the stream from their usual Tuesday hours. I was live on all the Tueasday streams, but this one, the most important one, was past midnight. It's is pretty depresing to know this. The feeling of missing the train right in front of your nose. :/

Nice summary Garret 2U. Can you gice us some info how much in-game credits can you earn per hour, just so we know how the system is set up?

I earned just under 1k credits in what I think was about 4-5 hours, my spark level is 2.
I was just fooling around making a game, I wasn't explicitly attempting to unlock challenges and nor did I have spark power.
For reference, 1k credits is enough to buy spark power for 1 day and content packs were between 12-20k credits each I believe.

I'll look more into the challenges and credit payout Thursday or Friday, as I wasn't paying too much attention to it.

Lazaro

When are the keys coming out? I have the Project Spark game downloaded.

Quite beefy requirements for an App.

System requirements

•Recommended:
•Core i7 CPU
•NVidia GT640M or AMD HD8850M or better
•8GB RAM
•2GB hard drive space
•Minimum:
•Core i5 CPU
•Intel HD4000 video card
•4GB RAM

System requirements

•Recommended:
•Core i7 CPU
•8GB RAM
•2GB hard drive space
•Minimum:
•Core i5 CPU
•Intel HD4000 video card
•4GB RAM

They will be releasing them over the next few days/weeks. Because of a bug they discovered at the last second they aren't releasing most of them now. Hoping I get one soon now that it is in the windows 8 store.

J10

Banned
I earned just under 1k credits in what I think was about 4-5 hours, my spark level is 2.
I was just fooling around making a game, I wasn't explicitly attempting to unlock challenges and nor did I have spark power.
For reference, 1k credits is enough to buy spark power for 1 day and content packs were between 12-20k credits each I believe.

I'll look more into the challenges and credit payout Thursday or Friday, as I wasn't paying too much attention to it.

500 tokens is $5/£3.49
1K tokens is $10/£6.99
2.5K tokens is $25/£17.99
5k tokens is $50/£35.99

This is gonna get either really time consuming or really expensive. Expected.

500 tokens is $5/£3.49
1K tokens is $10/£6.99
5k tokens is $50/£35.99

It is a Free-to-play game so yeah pretty much expected, though I'm pretty sure they give you a good amount of content right out of the gate which is nice.

500 tokens is $5/£3.49
1K tokens is $10/£6.99
5k tokens is $50/£35.99

I'll check this when I get home, but I know there are two types of currency and I believe everything is much cheaper using the tokens you buy rather than using the credits you earn.
The prices I listed were the costs of content using the credits you earn, not the ones you buy.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Have this downloaded and mocking me asking for a key! Come on beta!

Okay, the currency you buy is the bronze bars, the currency you earn is the silver coins.

Here are the prices of the bars...
uPxqRF0.png

And here are the prices of the content..

100 bars is essentially 1$, so....

Village Festival = 5$
Haunted Cornfield = 7$
Desert Dunes = 10$
Spark Power (1 day) = 1$
Spark Power (30 days) = 12$

Spark Power allows you to bypass the paywall for play, not create. It also gives you 50% xp bonus and 50% credit bonus.

Also, here is the link to the game I made yesterday if anyone is interested :)
http://projectspark.com/#world?id=733

Okay, the currency you buy is the bronze bars, the currency you earn is the silver coins.

Village Festival = 5$
Haunted Cornfield = 7$
Desert Dunes = 10$
Spark Power (1 day) = 1$

Spark Power allows you to bypass the paywall for play, not create. It also gives you 50% xp bonus and 50% credit bonus.

I both love and hate you, love you for posting info, hate you for having a key and being able to play while the rest of us wait. :(

J10

Banned
Seems reasonable. If you care to try, see if you can up the rate of credit acquisition. 1k every 4-5 hours seems a little low, even though that's probably by design.

Stampy

Village Festival = 5$
Haunted Cornfield = 7$
Desert Dunes = 10$
Spark Power (1 day) = 1$

BTW, since you seem to be the only gaf member on beta. I think it would be best if you create an OT for it. You already posted here some info which could be used in the OT itself... :) Although, till more of us get in, there is probably no rush for the topic itself.

Seems reasonable. If you care to try, see if you can up the rate of credit acquisition. 1k every 4-5 hours seems a little low, even though that's probably by design.

Alright, will do.
I'll do all the daily challenges and see how long it takes me + how much credits I get in total

EDIT: 1 hour later....

So here are the challenges I completed in the last hour.

I gained about 900 credits in total, 480 credits from the daily challenges I completed.

During that time, I tried the puzzle brain for about 5-7 minutes, couldn't figure it out. I made a brain that executed all of the emotes but that didn't seem to work.
I also played through crossroads once to try and get the combat school miniquest, but had no luck there either.

BTW, since you seem to be the only gaf member on beta. I think it would be best if you create an OT for it. You already posted here some info which could be used in the OT itself... :) Although, till more of us get in, there is probably no rush for the topic itself.

Yeah, I think it is best to wait until the beta is open to more people so it is more active of a community

I both love and hate you, love you for posting info, hate you for having a key and being able to play while the rest of us wait. :(

:D

Stampy

I just started playing in the beta for 30 or so minutes. First impression is that the game is really well polished.

There are some hickups with different graphic settings (on some settings shadows become nontansparent), but nothing improtant. I can't wait to get my hands on the creation aspect. In the play aspect, I am kinda missing the promt which more actively pushes players to give an opinion on the level they have played.

BTW, I am really glad I have bought the controller for this game, seems well suited.

SegaShack

System requirements

•Recommended:
•Core i7 CPU
•8GB RAM
•2GB hard drive space
•Minimum:
•Core i5 CPU
•Intel HD4000 video card
•4GB RAM

Shoot, I signed up for the beta but had no idea the specs were like this. Intel HD is an onboard card to my knowledge (shared memory with RAM). When I get a key I'm going to try to run this with 5 GB of RAM, Intel Core Duo, and an Nvidia 9600GT.

Stampy

Recommended system requirements are too high as what is really required for the game to have everything on high settings.

Since I have bought win8 for this game, I can say that I am pleasantly surprised with its functionalities. I made the jump from XP, and I am totally in love with the system. It is much more multi-tasking oriented.

Anyway, so far I am really pleasantly surprised with the ease of use and how natural it is to sculpt geographical wonders. Really awesome and simple stuff!

The brains are also easy to use and fun, but I am kind of missing a helping hand in the process at this point. So it's more about trial and error when you want to accomplish something.

The most fun thing about Project Spark's daily challenges are definitely the brain challenges (you have to solve a mini brain puzzle). And it's a cool way to make things less repetitive, I hope more stuff like that will be included, and less of “do something for xy minutes”.

My biggest gripe so far is controller use in sculpting (I know nothing beats the mouse and I really wonder how they will adapt this for the Xbox One controller, because on the PC sculpting with the controller is pretty clunky), although the controller is perfect for playing the games and coding the brains.

Also, I wonder why the simultaneous movement of the mouse and the map (by pressing the keyboard) is not enabled. You always have to stop one input in order for the other to be registered when sculpting long distances of terrain.

I really wanted to use touch controls for creating stuff, but the game is running really bad on my surface pro. And the interface for editing the brains is not working at all with touch for me. Guess I'm gonna have to wait for the beta on xbone and use smartglass for that.

I installed on my main Pc, and it ran fine, but I didn't have the time to stop and create anything there yet, but I plan to this week :D

yuraya

Signed up for BETA about a month ago (kind of late) and still haven't received a key.

:( hope I don't have to wait too long.

As one who is looking more at the art side, I am somewhat disappointed with the sculpting tools/art assets available at the get go. I know it is Beta and what not but I can't seem to get my idea off the ground. I find Unity or even Far Cry's terrain editor better to use. I also think my ideas may be a little to expansive for what Project Spark supports at the moment. That's what I get for thinking big I guess. Though maybe I just need more time with it.

Stampy

As one who is looking more at the art side, I am somewhat disappointed with the sculpting tools/art assets available at the get go. I know it is Beta and what not but I can't seem to get my idea off the ground. I find Unity or even Far Cry's terrain editor better to use. I also think my ideas may be a little to expansive for what Project Spark supports at the moment. That's what I get for thinking big I guess. Though maybe I just need more time with it.

Can you please elaborate on what you want to achieve that isn't possible?

Can you please elaborate on what you want to achieve that isn't possible?

At the moment world size is somewhat limited in adding terrain from what I can tell. In the top right it has the prop limit, sound, and then terrain. For my idea I needed quite large of a space with taller mountains surrounding a much lower lake/island. However to achieve the scale I want I'm constantly hitting the terrain limit it seems. Subtracting parts where I don't need them seems to work for a time, however I quickly hit the limit again when I go to add in other areas where I still need it.

I also hope they have the castle pack soon (didn't see it last I looked) as I'm looking for more square style building blocks and such which I hope that will provide.

Stampy

The terrain limit was kind of depressing for me also. I guess the 360 version really drags this game down with regards to how much memory it can be allocated. :/

Oh well, we will have to learn how to optimize.

The terrain limit was kind of depressing for me also. I guess the 360 version really drags this game down with regards to how much memory it can be allocated. :/

There is a lot of potential I am seeing, I think I just need to quell my ideas and save those when I work with Unity and such instead. I do really wish we could have had custom models, would have been great.

Are those silver coin and bronze bar prices EITHER/OR or AND? As in, Village Festival is 10000 silver coins OR 500 bronze bars or 10000 silver coins AND 500 bronze bars?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Are those silver coin and bronze bar prices EITHER/OR or AND? As in, Village Festival is 10000 silver coins OR 500 bronze bars or 10000 silver coins AND 500 bronze bars?

Either or. Coins are earned from playing/creating, bars are purchased.

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
I've been searching online for a couple of days but still haven't been able to find an answer to something I've been thinking of. Will this game eventually let you create your own characters from scratch as apposed to those fable looking stand ins? I'm not saying I don't like the character models but I would love to try and create my own. It'll also help differentiate the look between people's games.

statham

I've been searching online for a couple of days but still haven't been able to find an answer to something I've been thinking of. Will this game eventually let you create your own characters from scratch as apposed to those fable looking stand ins? I'm not saying I don't like the character models but I would love to try and create my own. It'll also help differentiate the look between people's games.

I'm not in the beta, but I don't think you can start from scratch. If you haven't watch this video yet, it gives you a pretty good idea, The dinosaur at the end is neat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4VSjpESdos

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
Thanks for the info. I've seen that video before. I know it early and there will more than likely be a lot more characters to choose from when it releases but I really hope the eventually put out different styled characters or even allow you to create or import your own. I would like to make a turned based rpg and I'm worried about how I'll fill out the world with characters especially enemy units to fight.

Orca

Sounds like using area transitions will be key for doing big zones.

wwm0nkey

So new patch is going live soon and when they confirm its stable they will be sending keys out in the thousands based on what time you signed up for the beta. So if you signed up day 1 like me you will probably be getting your key soon.

Alx

Nice. :)
I was impatient to know more about the expansion of the beta, it was getting frustrating to read about the selected few who entered it, especially since I registered day one too.

Vico

So you're gonna have to play a lot to actually get to create crazy stuff.
It's really unfortunate. I have many ideas, and I could find the time to execute them, but I can't find the time to unlock the possibility to start creating.

Alx

I don't want to seem too impatient, but are there any news about the beta since last week ?

Top Bottom