• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zero/Fatal Frame 2: Wii Edition |OT|

ooh this is out soon? Already played and beat once but years ago, I think I'm up for another go. Others in the series would be nice too <hint hint>

oh heaps of new stuff? Sold.

I've got the same thing, but I am getting this. It's up to you, but it is a straight-up remake as opposed to a port or something. I understand that the subtitle, 'Wii Edition', is a bit misleading, but it's essentially the equivilient to Resident Evil 1 REmake on Gamecube if you ever played that. It was remade from the ground up, and does include new story chapters, new locations, new enemies, new scares, new endings, redone graphics, redone cinematics and voice acting, new modes, redone music, and new mechanics. It was built using the Fatal Frame IV engine, and as such they seem to have adjusted some of the scares to work better with that game's mechanics and camera style.

Okay, that's enough "new" to make it worthwhile, I think.

I didn't get very far in the original version anyway.

Bullza2o

Wow this game looks terrifying and awesome. I wish NOA makes better decisions at localization. I'd rather have this than NintendoLand.

Gameboy415

Oh how I wish this was being released in the US next week! :(

Hopefully NOA wises up and releases it here later this summer or even around Halloween.
They've got next to nothing else coming out on Wii this year (Last Story, Kirby Anniversary, and...?)and it's already been translated!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I really don't know what to think of this. On one side it's good that Nintendo saw value in this amazing franchise (IMO) and are willing to invest in it, but on the other they didn't even consider releasing FF4 in the west.
While it's true that they didn't release FF4 in the west, it's certainly not true that they didn't even consider it.

While I don't believe in buying a console for one game, assuming this remake sticks up with the original (which it looks like it's doing at least. Graphically it only looks a little better, but they seemed to have added a lot gameplay-wise) then it'll be a fantastic game. Fatal Frame IV was fantastic and had the best mechanics in the series, Fatal Frame 2 probably had the best story, ghosts, and setting of any of the games, so essentially bringing the two together holds high promise for a great horror game.

Thanks.

If I thought Fatal Frame was coming to the Wii U I'd hold off.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thanks.

If I thought Fatal Frame was coming to the Wii U I'd hold off.

It's a possibility for the future, but likely since the 3DS game just came out and this game is just coming out that won't be for a while, though of course this remake will work on the Wii U. I and several others think they may release this game near Halloween and mention it's playable on the Wii U or something.

ThankeeSai

Pre ordered today from a well known online retailer that always deliver early :). Really looking forward to it. Never played any of the other Fatal Frame games. Always meant to pick them up, but just never had the time/got around to it.

Roll on next week!

Shall be plugging in my Wii for this!

Still need to update the OT a bit, but first two reviews are in. Gamemaster gave the game an 89%, and Nintendo Gamer gave it the exact same score of 89%.

So two scores of 89% so far.

EDIT: Famitsu's review is in too. They gave it two 9/10s, and two 8/10s, making the total 34/40.
Hmmm, not the most trustest of sources (for me), but indicators that it's not some shit show. Good.

Hey everyone

Fatal Frame 4 is in stock at Play-Asia.com just thought I would let y'all know for anyone who wants to play this with the translation patch. (I know...several years after it went out of print, how strange...)

I might be importing this eventually since it doesn't look like it's going to be released here :(

Noogy

I had no idea this was an actual remake, just assumed it was a port. It was a 'almost must buy again' already, but this puts it at the top of my list.

Auskeek

Might add in that Zero 4 got a 34/40 from Famitsu as well.

I thought that the character movement and camera controls were clunky, and the game wasn't scary enough overall. Absolutely nailed the atmosphere though, and that's why I'm going to give this one a try.

beje

Banned
Hey everyone

Fatal Frame 4 is in stock at Play-Asia.com just thought I would let y'all know for anyone who wants to play this with the translation patch. (I know...several years after it went out of print, how strange...)

I might be importing this eventually since it doesn't look like it's going to be released here :(

Sold out already. I was lucky enough to grab it 2 years ago :3

I'm interested, but I'm not good with scary games. I mean RE: Revelations was scary to me.

Then you're going to have a hard time with this one. Try watching some gameplay videos in Youtube or something to see if it might be too much.

Turrican3

Is the control system the same as in Fatal Frame 4, ie motion sensors-based instead of IR?

Looking at some videos I'd guess the answer is "yes", but I'm still not completely sure.

kunonabi

This would be the perfect thing for NOA to fill in the wasteland that is the Wii Fall line-up. Perfect October game.

Which is exactly why they won't.

Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Fatal Frame II Wiimake, Kirby Collection and Epic Mickey 2 would have been a pretty solid lineup to go out on.

Wii is pretty much the new Sega Saturn in terms of relying on imports to get the most out of the system.

Which is exactly why they won't.

Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Fatal Frame II Wiimake, Kirby Collection and Epic Mickey 2 would have been a pretty solid lineup to go out on.

Wii is pretty much the new Sega Saturn in terms of relying on imports to get the most out of the system.

That would be a really solid line-up actually. Damn Nintendo. :(

Arla

I kinda wish I hadn't bought all three Fatal Frames on Amazon a couple months ago. I thought this remake had been canned. Anyone looking for a sealed copy of FFII for PS2? >_>

Is the control system the same as in Fatal Frame 4, ie motion sensors-based instead of IR?

Looking at some videos I'd guess the answer is "yes", but I'm still not completely sure.

Wait..what? You mean that there is a chance the game uses the same motion plus motion as Skyward Sword instead of the typical Wii motion??

Oh god I hope not :(

That was what killed Skyward Sword for me. I hated re-adjusting the motion sensor every two minutes cause it kept going out of whack.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wait..what? You mean that there is a chance the game uses the same motion plus motion as Skyward Sword instead of the typical Wii motion??
That would actually be a huge step up from the last Fatal Frame control scheme if you're talking about the cursor controls here (Fatal Frame doesn't have swords) which were definitely not great as in other Wii games but not that bad either.

I dunno why you'd have to readjust the Skyward Sword cursor all the time if that's what you meant though, since almost every cursor use in the game is starting fresh, with a reset process built in the gameplay, and doesn't last that long. Ie, as soon as you go in archery mode it instantly considers your current position as the "center" position. Which is why people kept advising to first center your remote hand then press the button to go in that mode, otherwise it will be off from the start.

I didn't have any real issues with it outside the speed and precision not being as good as normal Wii pointer controls.

Fatal Frame IV didn't really have such a form of cursor controls, instead using tilts to align the camera. Any other form of cursor controls would be amazing in comparison, but the Silent Hill: Shattered Memories method would have been ideal for the games.

Shiggy

Oh god I hope not :(

That was what killed Skyward Sword for me. I hated re-adjusting the motion sensor every two minutes cause it kept going out of whack.

There's no motion+ support in either Project Zero 2: Wii Edition nor Zero: A Japanese Ghost Story.

Is this the same game that came out on PS2 years ago? Crimson Butterfly or something?

Also, its great we are getting it here in the UK, but what happened to the one that everyone was hacking to translate? Is that never coming out officially? Or maybe it will now. Was that Fatal Frame 3? And there is another new one too? 4?

Confused.com

Turrican3

It could be worse actually, but I don't know if I'm able to explain it properly if you haven't played FF4.

As far as I understand, FF4 didn't use motionplus technology at all, it simply relied on standard wiimote motion sensors instead.
Not a game breaking thing IMHO, but the responsiveness was far from being optimal - don't know why, I believe Excite Truck is based on the same sensors and it worked very well.

EDIT: somehow beaten, but I'd still like to know more about FF2 vs FF4 controls :)

Is this the same game that came out on PS2 years ago? Crimson Butterfly or something?

Also, its great we are getting it here in the UK, but what happened to the one that everyone was hacking to translate? Is that never coming out officially? Or maybe it will now. Was that Fatal Frame 3? And there is another new one too? 4?

Confused.com

The one that was being translated was 4. Don't think there's much chance of it ever making it over officially though, although if 2 sells well you never know I suppose.

What happed to #3 then? I don't ever remember that one...

edit: Ah, that was PS2. Don't ever remember seeing that. I might have to get this Wii re-release, it was an awesome game on PS2 and I have a feeling the controls will be great on it too.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yes, it's a remake of that game.

That was PZ4. It has a fan translation, but it won't come out officially outside of Japan. PZ3 was still on PS2.

Dusk Golem

What happed to #3 then? I don't ever remember that one...

edit: Ah, that was PS2. Don't ever remember seeing that. I might have to get this Wii re-release, it was an awesome game on PS2 and I have a feeling the controls will be great on it too.

This isn't a port, this is a straight-up remake made from the ground up that includes new locations, new modes, new enemies, new endings, redone hraphics, redone & new cinematics with new British voice acting, and lots of new gameplay mechanics that uses the Fatal Frame 4 engine. I know the title makes it sound like a port, but it isn't.

Also, there are reports that the game is coming out early in some places in both Japan and Europe. Also a few videos have been popping up on Youtube, but they're spoiler-ridden.

Video of the first 10 minutes (video camera recording): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uefFExOsU5c

Ending 1 (canon ending) Remade *MAJOR SPOILERS*: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGVXKle6kM

Ending 2 Remade *MAJOR SPOILERS*: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgJwCKL7DA0&feature=plcp

Bad Ending Remade *MAJOR SPOILERS*: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ns4EH9fs0U

I dunno why you'd have to readjust the Skyward Sword cursor all the time if that's what you meant though, since almost every cursor use in the game is starting fresh, with a reset process built in the gameplay, and doesn't last that long. Ie, as soon as you go in archery mode it instantly considers your current position as the "center" position. Which is why people kept advising to first center your remote hand then press the button to go in that mode, otherwise it will be off from the start.

Yeah...I meant reset as in constantly pressing down on the D Pad to reset the cursor. Every time I wanted to look around..press down because when I looked up, the cursor would be off to the left or right. Every time I moved the camera around...press down. Combat was always out of whack cause of it.

It was fubar'd for me. I gave up after @3 hours or so. I just couldn't take it any more :p

Dusk Golem

Yeah...I meant reset as in constantly pressing down on the D Pad to reset the cursor. Every time I wanted to look around..press down because when I looked up, the cursor would be off to the left or right. Every time I moved the camera around...press down. Combat was always out of whack cause of it.

It was fubar'd for me. I gave up after @3 hours or so. I just couldn't take it any more :p

While I didn't have the same issue, as others have said, this doesn't use Motion Plus. What he's talking about is that the controls in Fatal Frame 4 don't use the pointer to use your camera or flashlight. I wasn't too bothered, but others were. While it would make sense for the flashlight, I think since the camera happens in first person it would be a bit weird controlling that with a pointer. I can't say for this game but I'm not expecting them to change to a pointer based on gameplay.

Alexios

While I didn't have the same issue, as others have said, this doesn't use Motion Plus. What he's talking about is that the controls in Fatal Frame 4 don't use the pointer to use your camera or flashlight. I wasn't too bothered, but others were. While it would make sense for the flashlight, I think since the camera happens in first person it would be a bit weird controlling that with a pointer. I can't say for this game but I'm not expecting them to change to a pointer based on gameplay.
Why? The control style is the same regardless if it's first or third person. And FPS work great on Wii. If they wanted it to feel slow and hard to use for dangerous encounters then they could do that by not having fast turning speed options like FPS games do. Or keep the "crosshair" in the center instead of have it follow the cursor and so be a lot faster than it should be. Kind of like some space combat games do when played with a mouse on PC, where you guide a cursor to mouselook depending on how close to the edges of the screen it is, but the weapons fire is centered at the crosshair instead of follow the cursor, so that aiming is still dictated by the agility of the craft rather than how fast you move the cursor (although some games do include that convenience). Or even take some clues from RE4 where the turning is done by the analog stick and you just aim with the cursor although that would probably require a reworking of the whole encounter system, enemy AI, numbers and everything else that is involved in it.

Dusk Golem

Why? The control style is the same regardless if it's first or third person. And FPS work great on Wii. If they wanted it to feel slow and hard to use then they could do that by not having fast turning speeds like FPS games do, which they don't anyway. Actually making it cumbersome for the player isn't good design in this case.

I knew this point was going to be made, so let me explain. FPS works great on Wii, yes. But the reason for this is since you can aim the gun on the screen like a point while moving your character around. The camera in Fatal Frame works differently than that. It isn't so much pointed to an area on the screen rather than the whole screen is the camera. With the Camera Obscure, you're not so much pointing it at a specific area of screen than you are moving your character while the camera is pulled out.

In FPS, precise aiming is very important and the appeal to FPS with the Wii controller is that you can aim and shoot things on the go. However, you also move your character normally with buttons. The gun is a pointer that allows you to shoot on the screen, but you move your character still around the game world and shift where you can shoot at.

Fatal Frame doesn't use precise shooting, and the camera obscura is not used in the same manner as a gun. It's a camera and is pulled out, which you then view 'through the lens' in a first person perspective. However, in this first person perspective you are not aiming a gun while you look through the camera, the camera is essentially the 'gun'. With it, you move like you normally do, except your view is now from behind the lense. If the camera used pointer controls, then the only function it would have is to move the camera. In my experience, Wii games that use the pointer for the camera don't work well, since you have to sort of struggle with the Wii Remote to drag the screen to the left or right as it would need to be near the sides to move the camera direction, and would be the only function as there is no pointer on screen. The whole 'screen' is essentially your area of attack. Combat in Fatal Frame is much more based on timing and distance rather than precision, and though the pointer could be used it doesn't do anything to really benefit the combat anymore than control sticks as such.

Alexios

I knew this point was going to be made, so let me explain. FPS works great on Wii, yes. But the reason for this is since you can aim the gun on the screen like a point while moving your character around. The camera in Fatal Frame works differently than that. It isn't so much pointed to an area on the screen rather than the whole screen is the camera. With the Camera Obscure, you're not so much pointing it at a specific area of screen than you are moving your character while the camera is pulled out.
That's the same difference guns have on other systems (and pc) but they're still changed just fine with a floating cursor worked in for the Wii. I don't think having a less realistic representation of how a camera actually works would be a problem compared to the playability benefits, it already has a weird HUD and stuff. But I've edited my post with a solution to that. I also added an MS Paint image of what I meant if I was being too confusing, I couldn't find a good example screenshot/video.

I dunno what you mean about the camera controls not working well in such Wii games, it works fine in TPS and FPS even when you're not actually shooting so don't care to pinpoint things with the cursor but are just moving and looking around in 3D space in the various more adventury sections of games. That aspect remains the same. Adding (well, not removing) the centered crosshair indicator and changing the floating cursor to an arrow stretching and facing away from the centered crosshair (just a thought, I'm no designer, it could also be an arrow tip that grows larger or gets extra ghost trails as you go further from the center to represent turning faster etc) wouldn't change the looking and moving around function, which I find great, in practice.

faridmon

What about the first game? was it remade? I really don't like when a series just jump ahead and not include thr prequel...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I knew this point was going to be made, so let me explain. ...

Dusk gets it right in his post, this game doesn't need pointer controls. I'm playing through Fatal Frame 4 right now, the camera fills the screen. The scariness is not in zooming the camera over the screen very quickly, it's slowly moving it and zooming in to find the ghosts.

I think this game is fine with its super limited motion controls. It's scary as hell without them!

Shiggy

wi0756h.jpg

- NO Wii Motion Plus support
- 60 Hz only!
- Project Zero is still a trademark of Tecmo Koei

Top Bottom