• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zero/Fatal Frame 2: Wii Edition |OT|

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Reviews are all over the place wtf

Welcome to the survival-horror genre. Even some of what are considered the best survival-horror games of all time have always had reviews all over the place.

Anyway, updating OP with new info.

- NO Wii Motion Plus support
- 60 Hz only!
- Project Zero is still a trademark of Tecmo Koei

Tecmo still co-own the rights to the project and are the main developers, but I can tell you the source of this news. On Nintendo of Europe's official website, they updated their copyright status and have images in their database that say that the 3DS spin-off IP is owned by Nintendo, and that the Project Zero IP is co-owned by Nintendo and Tecmo. However, if I could take a guess the co-ownership means very little. It could mean Project Zero may stay to Nintendo consoles, but it doesn't have to. It essentially means that Nintendo has the rights to make a game for the franchise, as well as Tecmo. If I had to take a guess, it's because Nintendo wanted to own the Spirit Camera IP for whatever reason, but since it's a spin-off they also have co-ownership of the actual franchise as well. Tecmo still owns the IP, that has never been questioned, but Nintendo now also owns it in part. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition was primarily made by Tecmo, but Nintendo did help with its development.

ASIS

Nothing on the box indicates that it is essential.

- NO Wii Motion Plus support
- 60 Hz only!
- Project Zero is still a trademark of Tecmo Koei

WHAT THE!!! Motion plus seems like the logical way to play this game, why on earth would anyone look for precision instead of comfort in a slow paced game like this (DON'T even tell me this doesn't support pointer controls)...

... The Wiimote is a fantastic controlller, its mess ups like these that drag it down.

I'll still have to play this for myself.

Sorry if it's been clarified before, but is this seriously not coming to America? What, cause outside of Xenoblade and Last Story, Wii has a plethora of titles to sustain it?

My body is (hopefully) ready:

voB11.jpg

Sadist

So I just completed chapter one.

First up, the controls feel really... survival horror like. Mio (or Mayu whatevs) kinda moves like a Japanese tank girl. If you want to make an 180 degree turn you need to flick the Wiimote or the nunchuk. The flashlight controls are a bit strange. It works, but you can only look up and down, going left or right is a no go. Odd choice. But if you're a fan of typical classic RE controls this game is a no-brainer.

The chapter itself was nice. It wasn't entirely scary, but really creepy nonetheless. It's mostly clever use of sound effects and sudden ghost appearances but I can see why some of us would be freaked out by it. Character models btw of Mio and Mayu are pretty impressive. Rest of the game looks nice, allthough some parts are hard to make out.

Hope the rest of the game can keep the tension going!

Dascu

Controls sound exactly like FF4. Wonder why there's no Classic Controller option. You could map the controls of FF4 in Dolphin to a 360 pad with ease.

Man I did not realise they had changed so much. This is one of my all time favorite games, I love it so much. This is now pretty much a must buy. I'll probably end up picking it when the nights start getting darker though, horror games in summer=NO

Whaaaat? How could they have messed up the controls AGAIN?

They actually work pretty well. I've never had a problem with tank controls though...

Sadist forgot to mention that you can strafe walk by pressing c, which wasn't necessary for me so far.

Flicking the mote for a 180 is pretty intuitive imo.

And I second, that character models and animations look really great.

Edit: I'll leave this comment here because Spirit Camera doesn't have its own OT, but that game is AMAZING!
If you're a fan of Fatal Frame/Project Zero and own a 3DS, BUY THIS GAME!

Dusk Golem

Updated with links to a few more reviews. The game is now out in Japan, and some people in Europe are getting it as well (though official release is tomorrow). Debating if I should import or wait for an American release announcement.

Reading some over the internet, from users and reviews, it sounds like people are claiming this is the scariest Fatal Frame game, but it has a few hits and misses that may depend on who you are. A huge plus for many is that the game is extremely immersive and does a wonderful job of recreating the original game, with new scenes included though a lot of the new stuff doesn't start popping up until later into the game. The scares are fantastically done, and there is a bigger emphasis on survival than the original FF2.

But the controls are a slightly modified version of the Fatal Frame 4 controls which you can't change. The game does let you use the Gyro controls as well as the control stick to move the camera, but a few have said that the gyro controls cannot be turned off and they're very sensitive to how you move your Wii remote when you have the camera pulled out. You can lock-on but it is very unreliable as it seems to be a loose lock on and a lot of ghosts will dash out of the way if you try to lock onto them. Some are saying it's fine, while others seem a bit more bothered by it. The game also features those grabbing hands from FF4 that grab you when you try to grab objects sometimes, but in this game when they grab you they very rapidly take out your health at a fast rate.

The basic consensus that I'm getting is that fans of survival-horror games are going to love it, it's got a fantastic immersive atmosphere and is one of the scariest games to be released in the last few years (with many calling it the scariest Fatal Frame game, which should say a lot). But the game has some shoddy controls in places and apparently more thiings, IE enemies, hands, new scares, take more of your health if you aren't careful than in the original. Which I am personally fine with. I loved the original, but if I may be honest I finished the game the first time with something over 40 herbal medicines.

First up, the controls feel really... survival horror like. Mio (or Mayu whatevs) kinda moves like a Japanese tank girl. If you want to make an 180 degree turn you need to flick the Wiimote or the nunchuk. The flashlight controls are a bit strange. It works, but you can only look up and down, going left or right is a no go. Odd choice. But if you're a fan of typical classic RE controls this game is a no-brainer.

The chapter itself was nice. It wasn't entirely scary, but really creepy nonetheless. It's mostly clever use of sound effects and sudden ghost appearances but I can see why some of us would be freaked out by it. Character models btw of Mio and Mayu are pretty impressive. Rest of the game looks nice, allthough some parts are hard to make out.

Thanks very much for the impressions! Trust me, if it's like the original game it'll only get more tense. Part of the reason I at least really liked Project Zero 2 was that it only got better and better as it went along in my opinion. I thought that each new introduced location was better than the last. One of the later areas of the game happens to be one of my favorite locations in any horror video game ever, it's just so creepy with many unexpected twists and memorable scenes (for anyone who's played the original, it's the whole area with the, "Please, open the door..." scene. That place goes on for a while, and I loved it). I am really looking forward to how they made that whole location in this remake.

kunonabi

in regards to the flashlight, have you tried rotating the wiimote to look left and right?

Zenaku

Thinking of importing this. Does it run well in Dolphin?

OpenGL, 3x Native, 2x AA, full speed on an i5-2500k & 8800GTX. The game crashes on DX9 (for me at least) and runs on DX10/11 (I forget which the plugin is) but has problems displaying photo's taken.

I have to use a PS3 controller with Dolphin, since my Wiimote battery packs are all naff, but with tilt set to the right analog I can move the flashlight left and right, as well as up and down. I'm not sure why you can't, AkimbO.

I have to use a PS3 controller with Dolphin, since my Wiimote battery packs are all naff, but with tilt set to the right analog I can move the flashlight left and right, as well as up and down. I'm not sure why you can't, AkimbO.

I just double checked it, doesn't work. There isn't even an option to change controls. Maybe your Dolphin setup splits the nunchuk mapping to two sticks.

Auskeek

I just played it for a few minutes, the character movement is still clunky. Gameplay wise it seems to be exactly the same as Zero 4.

The thing that's annoying me at the moment is how inappropriate the vibration is during cut scenes. It's really heavy vibration, and seems to happen at inappropriate times; just takes me out of the scene. I'd turn it off completely, but it's so good and subtle during gameplay and really adds to the tension.

Reallink

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the phone. Are you guys telling me this (AND FF4) use nothing but gyro for flashlight/camera controls and semi-tank for character movement? That this one doesn't even have CC support? What in the flying fuck. Suddenly I understand why NOA have ignored this shit, the controls sound like utter nonsense. How could they not just base them off Shattered Memories?

If it's exactly like FF4, you rotate it as in hold the wiimote flat and twist left and right like a key to slowly glance either side.

OK, one peek into the manual next time. Sorry for the misinformation. Funny though, how the controls still felt fine to me, even though I was missing a key mechanic lol.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got the game today and played through the first chapter. So far they changed some (little) things here and there, mostly for the better. Like in PZ4 you now have to hold down the A button for a while to take an item or when you peek, which I think is a very good thing since it creates some suspense and it's what makes this a little scarier than the original so far.

The controls seem a bit floaty when in camera mode which makes it hard to focus on a ghost when you're not using lock-on. I don't remember it being that way in PZ4, but maybe I just forgot.

I'm glad they went with the obvious and made the radio voices come out through the WiiMote speaker.

Also, it seems to be a bit easier than I remember (on normal), but maybe that's just me.

So far I really like it, I see no reason to go back to the original after this.

Dusk Golem

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the phone. Are you guys telling me this (AND FF4) use nothing but gyro for flashlight/camera controls and semi-tank for character movement? That this one doesn't even have CC support? What in the flying fuck. Suddenly I understand why NOA have ignored this shit, the controls sound like utter nonsense. How could they not just base them off Shattered Memories?

I know what you're trying to say or spark, but realize you're trying to put a focus on bad controls... to the survival-horror community.

Also, the IGN Review for anyone who's curious: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/29/project-zero-2-wii-edition-review

And some users around the net make it sound like they've added some really cool effects to some of the fights, and I'm hearing that the controls are actually very responsive once you get the hang of them and the combat is a lot of fun, especially when the tougher ghosts start coming into play.

kunonabi

OK, one peek into the manual next time. Sorry for the misinformation. Funny though, how the controls still felt fine to me, even though I was missing a key mechanic lol.

I wouldn't call it a key mechanic since you could go through FF4 without it and be just fine. Honestly, I don't mind not using pointer controls for the flashlight since you don't really point a flashlight in real life and how awful they were in Shattered Memories when shaking enemies off.

Sold out on amazon.de? I really hope I don't miss out on getting a copy.

Got the game today and played through the first chapter. So far they changed some (little) things here and there, mostly for the better. Like in PJ4 you now have to hold down the A button for a while to take an item or when you peek, which I think is a very good thing since it creates some suspense and it's what makes this a little scarier than the original so far.

The controls seem a bit floaty when in camera mode which makes it hard to focus on a ghost when you're not using lock-on. I don't remember it being that way in PJ4, but maybe I just forgot.

I'm glad they went with the obvious and made the radio voices come out through the WiiMote speaker.

Also, it seems to be a bit easier than I remember (on normal), but maybe that's just me.

So far I really like it, I see no reason to go back to the original after this.

Please tell me you don't have to twist the Wiimote to move the camera left & right like in PZ4.

Finished Chapter 1 before. Whilst I do like the changes made, there are 2 things that bug me a little:

1) The controls. Feels sluggish compared to the previous version and PZ3. Looking around with the torch is slow and tedious, especially if you want to look on the ground. And when looking through the camera, looking up and down takes ages, and you pretty much have to point the Wii mote to the floor in order to look down at all.

No doubt it will be something that you get used too, but after the fluid looking with a torch in Shattered Memories and Fatal Frame 3, it feels like a step backwards (well to me anyway).

2) Not liking the new Dubbing. With the English accents, they sound like Alice from Madness Returns :p

It's a pity they couldnt include the option for Dub and Sub :(

I do like the Haunted House mode. I only did the survival one
where you need to make it to the finish line without being scared to death. I barely made it out alive. I barely moved the controllers, yet I still managed to get high shivers. It feels very on rails, but I thought it was a nice edition to the game

I also like the peeking addition to the campaign :)

Jucksalbe

Banned
2) Not liking the new Dubbing. With the English accents, they sound like Alice from Madness Returns :p
The main characters are a lot better in this version compared to the original, but some of the side characters and ghost voices sound a bit bored. Overall, I prefer the new version so far. Having the Japanese voices selectable would have been a nice bonus, but I don't think it's that important.

Dusk Golem

So japanese is available or not? If they included english only, I am going to pass. Japanese was available in the PS2-PAL version, so there is no excuse for not including it.

Not included, my theory on the issue here is disk space thanks to this game having a several pre-rendered cutscenes (the six endings alone are about 48 minutes of pre-rendered scenes) and quite a lot of audio effects and recorded dialogue and music.

Auskeek

I do like the Haunted House mode. I only did the survival one
where you need to make it to the finish line without being scared to death. I barely made it out alive. I barely moved the controllers, yet I still managed to get high shivers. It feels very on rails, but I thought it was a nice edition to the game

I also like the peeking addition to the campaign :)

I just played the Haunted House section myself. I got some significant shivers, despite feeling like I wasn't shaking or feeling very scared (although on further inspection, I noticed my heart rate jumped up a few beats!).

It's super on rails, but I find it still manages to be a little creepy, especially the moment before you open a door.

jimi_dini

Not included, my theory on the issue here is disk space thanks to this game having a several pre-rendered cutscenes (the six endings alone are about 48 minutes of pre-rendered scenes) and quite a lot of audio effects and recorded dialogue and music.

I just did a little research. Wii Edition seems to be around 4.5-5GB.

Fuck, why is Nintendo so stupid and don't put japanese VO on the disc as well.

Top Bottom