• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PROMETHEUS Full Theatrical Trailer (2:32) + International UK trailer (2:47)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattp

it kind of pisses me off listen to lindeloff talk about this movie in terms like "i didnt want to" or "i wanted to"
he didn't write that screen play by himself

it kind of pisses me off listen to lindeloff talk about this movie in terms like "i didnt want to" or "i wanted to"
he didn't write that screen play by himself

No but he's credited (or credits himself... ) as the person who removed a lot of the direct Alien connections from the original script.

I assume Spaihts was commissioned to write an Alien prequel, and when Lideloff was given a chance to go over it, he suggested some substantial changes to the plot.

No but he's credited (or credits himself... ) as the person who removed a lot of the direct Alien connections from the original script.

I assume Spaihts was commissioned to write an Alien prequel, and when Lideloff was given a chance to go over it, he suggested some substantial changes to the plot.
Smart move on his behalf.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, I'll agree that this was the better thing to do. I'm still jazzed for the movie, but I won't deny that I was psyched to see more surprises related to the 'future' movies. Their rationale for making it a stand alone movie is sound, though. If they tie it too closely with the other movies, then it could diminish the mystery and lore.

I'm not expecting to see any of the
xenomorphs, the one we're familiar with anyway,
in this movie. It'll be for the best, I'm sure.

Prezhulio

i'm still counting on all this "not exactly a prequel" talk all to be a ruse so the final scene where SOME hard connection to alien is made is more impactful, like
talking about the nostromo leaving earth or an og facehugger/xeno appearing.

but that's just my two cents on what would put a huge smile on my face. either way, i cannot wait to see it in a few weeks!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Eh the
Yutani stuff
in the shaw video is throwaway IMO. I think it is just that
Yutani made the facial recognition and analysis software that is analyzing the call.
Fan service nothing more.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT* http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ridley-scott-prometheus-alien-324981

Haven't made my way through the article so I'm not sure about spoilers, but this bit caught my attention:
The curtain will be lifted June 8, when 20th Century Fox releases Prometheus domestically. Four years in the making, with a budget of $120 million to $130 million covering 1,300 CGI shots and an 87-day shoot that took its crew from London to Iceland to Jordan's Wadi Rum desert, the picture (named for the mythological Titan who stole fire from the gods) is one of the most anticipated in years.
Color me impressed. The films looks amazing, and that's a very reasonable budget.

Really cannot predict the reviews for this. I think they're going to be favorable, but at the same time I think people... well, like us, are going to be the ones who will appreciate it more. Then again, the cast is great as is the director so I wonder if those things will help score it some brownie points with the critics.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
For how gorgeous the film looks, 120mil is actually pretty modest. Also explains why they are willing to risk the R rating too. Still high, but its not the 150-200million I was expecting. Guess they figure the people who this is going to appeal too, PG-13 won't really matter.

nomis

Of course we had all heard about the R rating over a week ago, but it really just dawned on me that I won't have to wait for a blu-ray "unrated" edition to see exactly what Ridley wanted his film to be. There won't be any punches pulled with blood splatters like the dining room scene in Alien, no sped up cutaways from the gore to try and get a PG-13, everything that needs to be a sudden flash will be so, and everything that needs to linger to have impact will be allowed to. It's NOT that an R movie is instantly better than a PG-13 movie... it's that not one frame was compromised from what it needed to be.

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

For how gorgeous the film looks, 120mil is actually pretty modest. Also explains why they are willing to risk the R rating too. Still high, but its not the 150-200million I was expecting. Guess they figure the people who this is going to appeal too, PG-13 won't really matter.

Scott has said he always prefers practical effects and sets over CGI, maybe its cheaper as a result.

Of course we had all heard about the R rating over a week ago, but it really just dawned on me that I won't have to wait for a blu-ray "unrated" edition to see exactly what Ridley wanted his film to be. There won't be any punches pulled with blood splatters like the dining room scene in Alien, no sped up cutaways from the gore to try and get a PG-13, everything that needs to be a sudden flash will be so, and everything that needs to linger to have impact will be allowed to. It's NOT that an R movie is instantly better than a PG-13 movie... it's that not one frame was compromised from what it needed to be.

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

I'd love to believe that this is true... however, I wouldn't be surprised if there still is a director's cut with more violence. I think Fox had Ridley edit the film a fair amount before submitting it. What they asked him to cut out likely wasn't put back in after the initial rating.

nomis

I'd love to believe that this is true... however, I wouldn't be surprised if there still is a director's cut with more violence. I think Fox had Ridley edit the film a fair amount before submitting it. What they asked him to cut out likely wasn't put back in after the initial rating.

What the hell would be the point? Tell Scott to edit it down to try and get PG-13, get R rating anyways, leave movie neutered when it benefits them none in the box office, and in fact hurts the film. The "damage" of not having dat PG-13 is already done. I sincerely hope what you're saying doesn't end up being the case.

What the hell would be the point? Tell Scott to edit it down to try and get PG-13, get R rating anyways, leave movie neutered when it benefits them none in the box office, and in fact hurts the film. The "damage" of not having dat PG-13 is already done. I sincerely hope what you're saying doesn't end up being the case.

They'd (potentially) have to go back to the editing room and then re-submit the movie to the MPAA depending on how the initial final edit of the movie went.

I don't know if they have the time to do that, but hopefully the film going into theaters is the film Ridley wants to ship.

Jonm1010

Banned

There was a report I posted a while back with the CEO of Fox saying that he wasn't forcing Ridley to edit anything, if it got an R rating he said so be it......then again everyone told me his word is shit and this is the same company that made Ridley cut Kingdom of Heaven from one of the best epic films in the last few decades into one of the worst big budget epics in the last few decades because they thought an extra thirty minutes in the era of Lord of The Rings, Braveheart and Gladiator was too much.

So who the hell knows I guess.

Ashhong

Didn't Ridley say that he changed Kingdom of Heaven based on test screenings and that he regretting it? Or was that bullshit and it was really because of Fox?

Jonm1010

Banned
Didn't Ridley say that he changed Kingdom of Heaven based on test screenings and that he regretting it? Or was that bullshit and it was really because of Fox?

Maybe so, I just had always thought that Fox didn't want a 3 hour film(maybe because of test audiences?) and asked Ridley to shorten it. maybe he agreed at the time as well, I don't know.

JdFoX187

Banned

Everything that I've read stated Fox was the one that forced the cuts. Which is a shame because the movie could have been something special if released as it was originally.

Bukio.jpg

Horizon looks like a face and the "pupil" is freaking me out.

We have seen Prometheus! It came to us at last, one of the most anticipated movies of the year, the notorious project of Ridley Scott, a prequel of Alien saga. Long story short, the film is dark, with strong message, has depth, but on the other hand affords way to many inconsistencies, which leave some bitter aftertaste.
Monsters that form, develop and arise in less than half an hour
and some other cheap tricks are elements, which belong more in stupid horror movies and not in a product, which deals with fundamental existential questions. Furthermore it leaves too many questions unanswered with obvious foundation on a sequel.

The film takes place forty years before the original and almost century before Aliens, with focal point the moon LV 226. This is the place where the Earth crew is headed, looking for their creator. But neither the viewer nor the crew, get their answers. As expected they are authors of their own demise, but due to human curiosity, it's much more at stake than just a handful of lives. We finally meet the ancient space race of giants, which remains we saw in first Alien, but for more answers we will have to wait till sequel.
The story is mostly focused on engineers, with monsters no more than collateral product.

Prometheus is mandatory for every fan of the original series, while the people, who aren't familiar with franchise, may well become encouraged to take a look at older films, now available in HD quality and worth of attention. I would also advise to go see the film in 2D, because feeling of depth is faint and dark picture only darker. Premiers on June 7th!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=59862

Jonm1010

Banned
Hmmm, interesting, just generic enough(didn't read the black bars) that it could easily be fake. And I gues the big elephant is why does this website get the early screening? You would think a more reputable place would get the first glance. Furthermore you would assume if they were doing this they would make sure the place that got it would give a highly positive report to build buzz.

That 'review' is a mess, or translated, or both:

We have seen Prometheus! It came to us at last, one of the most anticipated movies of the year, the notorious project of Ridley Scott, a prequel of Alien saga. Long story short, the film is dark, with strong message, has depth, but on the other hand affords way to many inconsistencies, which leave some bitter aftertaste. Monsters that form, develop and arise in less than
half an hour
and some other cheap tricks are elements, which belong more in stupid horror movies and not in a product, which deals with fundamental existential questions. Furthermore it leaves too many questions unanswered with obvious
foundation on a sequel.

The film takes place forty years before the original and almost century before Aliens, with focal point the moon LV 226. This is the place where the Earth crew is headed, looking for their creator. But neither the viewer nor the crew,
get their answers. As expected they are authors of their own demise, but due to human curiosity, it's much more at stake than just a handful of lives.
We finally meet the ancient space race of giants, which remains we saw in first Alien, but for more answers we will have to wait till sequel. The story is mostly focused on
engineers,
with monsters no more than collateral product.

Prometheus is mandatory for every fan of the original series, while the people, who aren't familiar with franchise, may well become encouraged to take a look at older films, now available in HD quality and worth of attention. I would also advise to go see the film in 2D, because feeling of depth is faint and dark picture only darker. Premiers on June 7th!

Tried to edit for anything that might be considered a spoiler..

EDIT: Dammit!

But yeah, there are some things that are factually incorrect
or are from our limited knowledge, at least

There was a report I posted a while back with the CEO of Fox saying that he wasn't forcing Ridley to edit anything, if it got an R rating he said so be it......then again everyone told me his word is shit and this is the same company that made Ridley cut Kingdom of Heaven from one of the best epic films in the last few decades into one of the worst big budget epics in the last few decades because they thought an extra thirty minutes in the era of Lord of The Rings, Braveheart and Gladiator was too much.

So who the hell knows I guess.

The point is that he said what they submitted wouldn't be edited further. Who knows how much editing happened before that initial submission.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Actually sounds legit. Premise is pretty much as expected from what's been said in relation to how its an Alien prequel but built on its own tangent
regarding the engineers/space jockeys
suitable for independent sequelization.

Not too concerned though, tonally I suspect the film is going to employ the same horror/suspense with SF underpinnings formula as its predecessors, so I'm happy.

Update to that 'review'

UPDATE: Fox say they have not screened the movie for anyone, and are still working on the final cut. They believe the below review to be a fake.

Certainly sounds fake, as they mention nothing specific and basically state what we already know from trailers and TV spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom