• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protester hugs Nazi outside Richard Spencer talk, asks 'Why do you hate me?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't help. How can I say that? Because we've done it. We marched. Layed flowers. Prayed. Begged. Tried to utilize the legally system.

I'm not going to waste my time praying when those same folks make the same excuses when we get murdered by the police and refuse to label their own that advocate terrorism and genocide as terrorist organizations. What am I even talking about? My thing is that Nazis, kkk could be shut down in a week if the majority in this nation demanded they be labeled as terrorist organizations and treated like ISIS.
I can completely understand your frustration. And it's not up to you to reach put to fycking idiots like that.
But i'm convinced it works on some level.

I agree that there needs to be a much stronger and clear message from the political system. These groups that preach hate should be slaughtered legally with jailtime for those involved.

Big changes are required.

I can't believe some of you have found a way to shit on this.

Toxic as all fuck.

Sure it isn't the cure, but let's revel in some small humanitarian victories for a few minutes.

What humanitarian victory?

Is the Nazi going to stop being a Nazi and now preach equality after said hug?....

I love this, tbh. It's not going to work every time, but I very much prefer it.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, it's the people who advocate more extreme solutions coming up with a bunch of reasons that also apply to punching. They can squad up and punch you next time after you punch them. They can accuse you of starting the incident and get you in jail. And they probably won't change at all.

So we're just on two sides of a useless coin.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
By all means, step up but don't try and tell us what we should or shouldn't be doing when it comes to fucking Nazis. I am black, I couldn't give a shit about helping Nazis.

If white people step up to fight racism, evidence even shows we'd be better at it. So I'm not just putting this on black people.

And honestly, the objective here isn't to help Nazis. It's ending racism. It's ending white supremacy. Punching a white supremacist isn't going to change them. And you aren't going far enough to actually eliminate them from society. So you punch them, they get even angrier, and keep doing what they're doing. They keep fighting for white supremacy. Nothing changes.

So your only alternative is to change hearts and minds. You want to end white supremacy? You want to do things to change the system? Then you do what works.

Slayven

Know what would change nazis even quicker? White people calling out their racist family members. But you won't hear that, because it ain't as feel good as a POC asking a bigot to acknowledge their humanity

Enzom21

If white people step up to fight racism, evidence even shows we'd be better at it. So I'm not just putting this on black people.

And honestly, the objective here isn't to help Nazis. It's ending racism. It's ending white supremacy. Punching a white supremacist isn't going to change them. And you aren't going far enough to actually eliminate them from society. So you punch them, they get even angrier, and keep doing what they're doing. They keep fighting for white supremacy. Nothing changes.

So your only alternative is to change hearts and minds. You want to end white supremacy? You want to do things to change the system? Then you do what works.
As a white person you shouldn’t be putting a good goddamn thing on black people when comes to how we deal with racists. It matters very little what you think we should be doing.

Alebrije

If the Nazi stops being Nazi , best huge ever.

Hope he changes but I am afraid his comrades won't allow him leave the dark side.

Know what would change nazis even quicker? White people calling out their racist family members. But you won't hear that, because it ain't as feel good as a POC asking a bigot to acknowledge their humanity

Tbh, I'm not sure these people would change with that either. Even then, that's an ideology so sick and perverted that they rather cut ties with the "traitors".
(And worse... sometimes said ideology has its roots from the family. Pushed even further this time).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
As a white person you shouldn’t be putting a good goddamn thing on black people when comes to how we deal with racists. It matters very little what you think we should be doing.

Whether I'm white or black or whatever I think doesn't change the reality that punching a Nazi won't change them. And if you're not going to kill them, then changing them is the only way to erase their influence.

People going out and confronting these assholes, in whatever capacity they feel appropriate, is something to be commended.
This is how I come down. Effective protest is about awareness in the moment as much as anything else. I understand, with a cynical eye, how this gesture will be used and abused, but I can't shit on the gesture itself. Dude did what felt right in the moment. And if we want to change things, it's one way to try it. Brave, too.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Sad that this turned into such a negative thread on something that's pretty touching.

I believe in love over violence, but understand when violence is needed. Yet love brings people together... violence doesn't.

Slayven

Every time this kinda of stuff is brought up people instantly go "you can't punch them all". Like there there is only extremes, a lot of good people are doing good work everyday but they never get these feel good articles. I wonder why.......

It’s sad how naive people are, especially after the NFL and white people killed the knee.

This is bullshit that won’t change anything. Sure maybe that makes me toxic and cynical but those are better than being a naive fuckhead.

Guarantee the next white supremacist march this nazi in this “small humanitarian victory” is going to be beating the shit out of some black guy who will he charged with unlawful wounding

Enzom21

Whether I'm white or black or whatever I think doesn't change the reality that punching a Nazi won't change them. And if you're not going to kill them, then changing them is the only way to erase their influence.
If you’re not black I’m not interested in hearing about what you think we should be doing when it comes to how we deal with racists. You should actually try and change them yourself, it would be far effective than you telling black folks to do it.

Tbh, I'm not sure these people would change with that either. Even then, that's an ideology so sick and perverted that they rather cut ties with the "traitors".
(And worse... sometimes said ideology has its roots from the family. Pushed even further this time).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-on-twitter-it-worked/?utm_term=.fff20fa1b2e6

If enough white people really gave a shit they could make a difference but they're too busy keeping up the facade of being fair and peaceful to actually do something that will make society more peaceful and equitable.

Funny isn't it?

Black on black crime in the inner city? Where are the black community leaders to fix this problem?

Muslims being radicalised? Where are the moderate Muslims speaking out against this?

White people turning to Nazi beliefs? ...Have you tried hugging them? #NotAllWhitePeople

Yeah this is meaningless to me. That dude isn’t going to stop being a nazi because a person he hates hugged him.

This is nothing more than a feel good story for all of those moderates that keep telling us to meet racists halfway.
No, it's someone, for a moment, doing something radical that cuts through all the nonsense and bad strategies. People change and we can study the way they change and we can come up the most effective ways to encourage that change. It isn't a balance fallacy, it's fixing the fucking problem at its roots.

Yeah this is meaningless to me. That dude isn’t going to stop being a nazi because a person he hates hugged him.

This is nothing more than a feel good story for all of those moderates that keep telling us to meet racists halfway.
No, it's someone, for a moment, doing something radical that cuts through all the nonsense and bad strategies. People change and we can study the way they change and we can come up the most effective ways to encourage that change. It isn't a balance fallacy, it's trying to fix these problems at their roots. You seem to look at the only solution as punishing people for what you think they deserve as if they're completely responsible for everything that ever happened to them and led them to this place. It's disconnected from reality, it's petty, and most importantly, it doesn't fucking work.

Respect to this dude, but...it is not and will never be my brown responsibility to convince someone who thinks I'm trash and inhuman to accept me. I have nothing but contempt for these people, and all and any shit about economic anxiety, they don't know better, they just need to see a friendly face :), olive branches, etc. has zero personal currency with me. If this Nazi asshole hadn't been surrounded by a crowd of people, who knows what he would have said or, more importantly, physically done, to this guy.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
It's evident that even this thread is going to drown out in a "fuck everyone!!" shouting match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom