• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

RedAssedApe

Banned
The full version of GOG Show ep 170 was just posted an hour ago, and it's sitting at an almost 50% dislike ratio with top comments bragging about disliking it on principle (and #IStandWithColin).

There's no way Colin doesn't see some sort of consequences for this.

They've stated before they don't really care about their view counts as they are patreon supported.

I'd be different if they suddenly lost a noticeable chunk of those actual paying customers versus those who consume their content for free.

Maximo

Yeah, and the fact the amount of dislikes is higher than the likes is pretty disturbing to me.

That shit is just pathetic clearly there are diehard Colin fans that don't give a fuck about Kinda Funny are just there for him and are happy to corrupt the community because they are eerily turning into a strange leftover Psyche of the Gamergate crowd, not surprising when you see Females responding to Colins tweet and being bombarded from (as far as I can tell from the profile pictures) white men complaining how they don't know shit and need to lighten up *Pc Culture* *SJW's".

Five

Banned
They've stated before they don't really care about their view counts as they are patreon supported.

I'd be different if they suddenly lost a noticeable chunk of those actual paying customers versus those who consume their content for free.

Oh, I'm well aware. I don't have any metrics on view counts. I was only examining the dislike ratio as an arbiter of dissent in the community. They love their "best friends", or at least that's what they keep saying, so something's going to have to happen.

That shit is just pathetic clearly there are diehard Colin fans that don't give a fuck about Kinda Funny are just there for him and are happy to corrupt the community because they are eerily turning into a strange leftover Psyche of the Gamergate crowd, not surprising when you see Females responding to Colins tweet and being bombarded from (as far as I can tell from the profile pictures) white men complaining how they don't know shit and need to lighten up *Pc Culture* *SJW's".

I know it's a tiny nitpick but we prefer women, not females. Female is a scientific, biological distinction, so it feels cold and distancing.

jxN3

Sure, YouTube isn't their main source of income, but it's the most important platform. They are relatively small in terms of youtubers, and getting Kinda Funny to the next level requires them to make strides on that platform.

Their latest videos have more dislikes than likes, which is pretty fucking scary. What's more scary is the fact that Colin isn't and probably won't do anything to try and stop this.

I feel bad for Tim, because I know he really cares about YouTube and he edits a lot of the videos. Can you imagine spending hours recording and editing just to have it bombarded with dislikes because of a tweet? Fuck.

Colin needs to step up and stop this.

sasliquid

Forget it, it's a waste to explain how everyone is different and don't like being told how to act by others.

Yeah fam we are all different. Some of us are ok with sexist jokes, some aren't. Some people call out sexist remarks on inernational women's day, some call those people humourless sacks of shit.

This isn't about telling Colin how to act, its about his fragile man baby ego not being able to handle criticism so he frames it as others problem not his.

GametimeUK

I can not believe this is the kind of thing people get outraged over these days. Holy shit. I think people just generally pick and choose what to be offended by these days. A sexist joke in a game like Duke Nukem, an episode of South Park, Family Guy or a stand up comedian then it's fine. I really don't understand it. You can joke around without actually believing what you're saying.

I'm assuming if they get bombarded with dislikes again today they might make a video addressing the issue.

I can not believe this is the kind of thing people get outraged over these days. Holy shit. I think people just generally pick and choose what to be offended by these days. A sexist joke in a game like Duke Nukem, an episode of South Park, Family Guy or a stand up comedian then it's fine. I really don't understand it. You can joke around without actually believing what you're saying.

Lol it's like you came into the thread and said "Fuck it I'm not even going to read a single page to fully understand what people are discussing."

GametimeUK

Lol it's like you came into the thread and said "Fuck it I'm not even going to read a single page to fully understand what people are discussing."

Are people or are people not outraged by the actual tweet? What I said stands. It's like you said "fuck it, because the conversation has moved forward the prior part of the conversation (the start) no longer matters".

My point stands. I can't believe people are outraged by his tweet. I don't care what else has come from this, I can't actually believe people are outraged by the actual tweet.

Yeah fam we are all different. Some of us are ok with sexist jokes, some aren't. Some people call out sexist remarks on inernational women's day, some call those people humourless sacks of shit.

This isn't about telling Colin how to act, its about his fragile man baby ego not being able to handle criticism so he frames it as others problem not his.
It is their problem though, they are the ones who had a problem with his comments. You don't have to have a "man baby ego" to turn around and tell those same people to take a hike.

Jennipeg

Are people or are people not outraged by the actual tweet? What I said stands. It's like you said "fuck it, because the conversation has moved forward the prior part of the conversation (the start) no longer matters".

My point stands. I can't believe people are outraged by his tweet. I don't care what else has come from this, I can't actually believe people are outraged by the actual tweet.

No. Nobody is outraged.

Fliesen

no.

Many found it distasteful and disrespectful and critisized Colin for that, though.

sasliquid

It is their problem though, they are the ones who had a problem with his comments. You don't have to have a "man baby ego" to turn around and tell those same people to take a hike.

Have a problem with unfunny sexist or racist jokes? Don't demand better, Just shut the fuck up. That's your solution.

GametimeUK

no.

Many found it distasteful and disrespectful and critisized Colin for that, though.

Distasteful and disrespectful? Switch the word outraged for distasteful and disrespectful and it will still show how hypocritical people are. People are okay when TV Shows, Comedians and even games do it for the most part. Colin does it and all of a sudden it's unacceptable. People just pick and choose.

Alo0oy

Banned
The guy was championing and praising Horizon for their portrayal of women in the game in the last podcast. I find it odd that the mob wants him publicly hung for the twitter comment.

The guy is very contradictory, in one video he said police are violent towards black people, and a few weeks later he said stuff like the "Sun will shine tomorrow" when Trump was elected. It seems to me that he says socially progressive things as a shield against criticism, and his fans have used that shield in this thread too. "He voted for Obama", "He's pro-gay marriage"...etc.

Regardless of what side you're on, they should have never issued a statement or apology. Not for something this minor. It established a precident of acknowledging this sort of behavior and only facilitated it to continue.

Sometimes its best to let things blow over.

Distasteful and disrespectful? Switch the word outraged for distasteful and disrespectful and it will still show how hypocritical people are. People are okay when TV Shows, Comedians and even games do it for the most part. Colin does it and all of a sudden it's unacceptable. People just pick and choose.

Why would I switch words that are not synonyms? How is anything hypocritical? And what is this notion that everyone is a comedian or comedy show? How about you read through some posts on this page before commenting and answering.

Regardless of what side you're on, they should have never issued a statement or apology. Not for something this minor. It established a precident of acknowledging this sort of behavior and only facilitated it to continue.

Sometimes its best to let things blow over.

I disagree because this isn't the 1st or 2nd time something like this happened, and individuals within their industry have started commenting on the situation. Silence is a more damning action.

Have a problem with unfunny sexist or racist jokes? Don't demand better, Just shut the fuck up. That's your solution.
You make it seem like he said the most slanderous thing in the world. You make it seem like he said something so damn repulsive that he should be universally shunned.

The problem with the "unfunny" joke argument is, nothing is funny to you.
The guy is very contradictory, in one video he said police are violent towards black people, and a few weeks later he said stuff like the "Sun will shine tomorrow" when Trump was elected. It seems to me that he says socially progressive things as a shield against criticism, and his fans have used that shield in this thread too. "He voted for Obama", "He's pro-gay marriage"...etc.
Geezus Christ, you can agree that people with brown skin in America get treated differently than people white skin by the police and still tell people to relax. The sun still did come out the next day, it wasn't the end of the world then, it isn't the end of the world now, and when you "survive" the next 4 years you'll see you worried over nothing.

Fliesen

1: No, i don't recall a TV show or a Comedian making a sexist joke on the international woman's day. If they did, they would get criticised by the very same people.

2: And no we can't switch words as we please. outrage is outrage. criticism is criticism. It's easier to call it "outrage!", because then you can portray those who are unhappy with the joke as some kind of Kyle's-mom-mega-bitch-up-in-arms-about-a-minor-issue. Those are not synonyms. Just like somebody who simply doesn't like peanuts isn't allergic to them, but neither detests them.

The only overreaction that is currently observable is the armada of Colin supporters who vote down KF videos like crazy because they're outraged(!) over the KF bunch putting their own ideas of decency over blind support for their coworker.

Completely change the meaning of words and it'll prove that you are a hypocrite!!

The joke on it's own was never the issue. It was the timing of the joke. That has been the main issue from the beginning and has spiralled out from there. To ignore the timing of the joke is to miss the point entirely

Also no one in this thread who has an issue with Colin has been as vitriolic as you have been storming in here saying "PEOPLE LOVE BEING OUTRAGED OOH BOY"

PieBlaCon

Neo Member
Greg had his ass blasted by some of the people he was trying to pander to: https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/839889642489057285

He chose to embrace the people who don't like Colin to begin with rather than stand by his long-time friend. Colin would go to the fucking mat for Greg. He's defended Tim and Kevin on numerous occasions and complemented what they bring to the table.

Loyalty isn't something Colin takes lightly if you've listened to him before. When the business crumbles and your fans and "friends" in the industry turn away, you better hope you can still turn to the person who's been with you through it all.

Lot of finger-waving here from people who would stumble over their words if they ever encountered Colin in person. Lot of pussies online who are virtue signaling in the hopes that their white-knighting will score their unattractive asses a hot date with a disrespected KF babe!

Your boy das Colin made a lame joke. I didn't laugh, but I didn't shit myself either. I went to class and then work like a functioning human instead of spending all day on twitter screaming about how much respect they've lost for Colin. Ask yourself: does this truly affect you? Did Colin truly harm anyone with his lame joke? Or were people looking for a reason to confirm a previously held opinion: "Colin is toxic and he doesn't have a place in the games bubble."

Jennipeg

Not always, your from the UK right? Surely you know Frankie Boyle? I don't think people were/are Ok with some of the things he says, despite his job as a comedian.

All the things you list provide context for the 'outrageous' jokes, a tweet does not.

Fliesen

Greg had his ass blasted by some of the people he was trying to pander to: https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/839889642489057285

He chose to embrace the people who don't like Colin to begin with rather than stand by his long-time friend. Colin would go to the fucking mat for Greg. He's defended Tim and Kevin on numerous occasions and complemented what they bring to the table.

Loyalty isn't something Colin takes lightly if you've listened to him before. When the business crumbles and your fans and "friends" in the industry turn away, you better hope you can still turn to the person who's been with you through it all.

Lot of finger-waving here from people who would stumble over their words if they ever encountered Colin in person. Lot of pussies online who are virtue signaling in the hopes that their white-knighting will score their unattractive asses a hot date with a disrespected KF babe!

Your boy das Colin made a lame joke. I didn't laugh, but I didn't shit myself either. I went to class and then work like a functioning human instead of spending all day on twitter screaming about how much respect they've lost for Colin. Ask yourself: does this truly affect you? Did Colin truly harm anyone with his lame joke? Or were people looking for a reason to confirm a previously held opinion: "Colin is toxic and he doesn't have a place in the games bubble."

haha, you can't be serious? Or are you trying to fill some kind of bingo card in one fell swoop?
Also, could you imagine people speaking their minds not for the sake of "pandering" to anyone but rather because they have a mind / thoughts / ethical compass of their own?

I'm sipping earl grey tea while preparing to work from home today but apparently because I believe Colin's actions, including the build up to his tweet, his tweet, and his follow up tweet, are ignorant and hypocritical I'm outraged.

Outrage has never felt so peaceful. If you want people to stop discussing a gaming personality on a gaming forum just say it. Stop hiding behind "You guys will find anything to be outraged about." Most people are being quite level headed and are repeating themselves over and over whenever people come in saying "Hmph you guys are outraged over this?! I've said worse at work!"

And I'll add that the most recent build up is in this episode of PSILY, if you haven't watched it you should.

sasliquid

You make it seem like he said the most slanderous thing in the world. You make it seem like he said something so damn repulsive that he should be universally shunned.

Geezus Christ, you can agree that people with brown skin in America get treated differently than people white skin by the police and still tell people to relax. The sun still did come out the next day, it wasn't the end of the world then, it isn't the end of the world now, and when you "survive" the next 4 years you'll see you worried over nothing.

I don't think you understand a lot of about how social progress works and you seem to be against any form of criticism.

The joke was sexist. People have a right to say, "hey man that's not cool". According to you it hasn't to be blatent hate speech before it can be called out

And a lot of comedy works without punching down, please don't assume shit about my sense of humour.

what is happening in this post lmao

Fliesen

Did Colin apologize or was Greg that apologized for him?

neither. Greg wrote a post saying the tweet, when taken out of context, was in poor taste and that he wasn't going to PAX east with them.

Colin retweeted that Glenn Beck has become a huge fan of him.

Alo0oy

Banned

And people wonder if Colin is attracting the wrong crowd.

kiguel182

I'll say it again, since it doesn't seem to stick:

Some of you guys keep framing reactions as people being "offended", "outraged".

You want to paint us as hysterical, because it's the only way the defense of what Colin said works: to shift the attention away from what *he* did, to how people reacted.

We are not hysterical.
We are not outraged.

We look at stuff like this and think "Huh, I don't want to be associated with that".

And THEN the *original* person that made the dumb comment in the first place plays the victim. For ages. Nonstop. They cancel speeches, they become defensive, they complain about being persecuted -- about how others are close-minded and can't handle differing opinions.

This was called out literally minutes after he tweeted, before there was anything you could construe as "outrage" -- the outcome was obvious from the jump:

Make stupid statement -> lash out at backlash to comment -> play the victim

We've all seen the playbook. Stop pretending you have us pegged in a corner as hysterical people that can't take a joke. We're on to this.

This is a good post. He got called on it and imminently insulted everyone that might find is joke tastless.

He joked on a public place and people went "that's not funny or okay, especially given the day" and he acted like he was attacked. It was a ridiculous over reaction.

Oh my goddddddddddd

Not always, your from the UK right? Surely you know Frankie Boyle? I don't think people were/are Ok with some of the things he says, despite his job as a comedian.

All the things you list provide context for the 'outrageous' jokes, a tweet does not.

Just wanted to add, this is a great example. I'm within the vicinoty of Glasgow so people are quite into him here. I was never fully ort able with him though. Half of what he says is genuinely funny, but there is the other half that is just way too much, and isn't excused as being a comedian.

PieBlaCon

Neo Member
if any disrespected KF babes are reading this please @ me i will fight for you

LOL! Dude, go to twitter. I'm not saying it's universal (my initial post was partly in jest), but there is some quality cringe coming from these guys. Maybe I went overboard, which is distracting from my main point.

GametimeUK

2: And no we can't switch words as we please. outrage is outrage. criticism is criticism.

You can just swap words as I just did exactly that. Apparently I used the wrong term, so I corrected it. Can be done and just was done.

And now I hear people are saying "the timing of the joke is the issue". People joke about occasions all the time. A big case of overly sensitive people taking a tweet out of context and trying to paint someone as a bad person because of it.

kiguel182

neither. Greg wrote a post saying the tweet, when taken out of context, was in poor taste and that he wasn't going to PAX east with them.

Colin retweeted that Glenn Beck has become a huge fan of him.

The fact that he couldn't see how what he said was offensive and apologize for it says more than the actual tweet.

Some of their fanbase attacking other members because they didn't back him up after this it's even crazier.

Johndoey

Banned

What's wrong with you?

1. No one here has implied that, he made a tasteless joke on a highly public platform and has been criticized for it and people have noticed a pattern of questionable statements from him.

2. This is childish and ignores the very real possibility of erosion of civil rights people in this country fought and died for. We've already seen minority groups negatively affected by the decisions of the new administration. We aren't worried over "nothing".

I don't think you understand a lot of about how social progress works and you seem to be against any form of criticism.

The joke was sexist. People have a right to say, "hey man that's not cool". According to you it hasn't to be blatent hate speech before it can be called out

And a lot of comedy works without punching down, please don't assume shit about my sense of humour.
Comedy is sexist, comedy and jokes are a lot of things you don't like. There maybe some comedy that doesn't punch down but where is the fun in that? It's not as good as the comedy that punches down.

Yes people have the right to get offended, just like people have a right to tell people to go get a sense of humor. Though.....Colin said it a lot more harsh than I would say it, I still wouldn't apologize for it.

So are people giving Colin the PewDiePie treatment by claiming he is a comedian? When you have to reach for a defense it's probably a sign that it should not be defended. No one is calling for his resignation just the acknowledgement of his actions. No one is discussing the comedic value of his comment but his intentions. The only reason we are now commenting about comedy is due to these poorly worded and thought out points people are bringing up to defend Colin.

You can just swap words as I just did exactly that. Apparently I used the wrong term, so I corrected it. Can be done and just was done.

Lol wut?

Fliesen

This is interesting, the rest of your post was ... unnecessary

It's the truth though, bet if Greg came under fire for that Colin would go at those people as well. Cause that's what friends do.

What's with people's obsession over "having other's backs" and "loyalty".
If you're being a dick, i'll say you're being a dick, no matter if you're my best friend, my dad or my partner.

They're friends, not some kind of gang. Friends don't give up their own moral stance when they themselves think their buddy was out of line.

A friend that calls me out on my shit is a better friend than one who blindly defends me even if they themselves think i'm in the wrong.

He said the joke was sexist, it was objectively sexist and the only humour in the joke is to be found in how it's ironic to say something sexist on national women's day? Why are you feeling the need to over-react to this the comment?

Top Bottom