• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ May Deals ("another awesome month")

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I already own SOTN and Chronicles.

I'll definitely grab Trine 2. I'm debating if I want Rayman Origins PS3, since I already own it on Vita. Playing it on my 40" though, is damn tempting. Thing is, I probably won't play it with my wife, since she's not a fan of platformers.

I've been a satisfied PSN customer for at least a year now, so I'll definitely continue my subscription when it expires.

It's been well worth what I paid for it, and not just for the free games, but the discounts I've gotten on games I'd buy anyway has been great.

GeoramA

I was literally THIS close yesterday to buying rock of ages, lucky me :D
I had Trine 2 in my cart twice, but never pulled the trigger. So glad I waited. Now I can put that $15 toward Datura and something else.

demigod said:
Which month was NFS:U2? I missed out on it :p.
It's still free and will be until next week.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is but win. The complainers, I wonder hiw many of them pay for XBL, Netflix, or any other subscription based services?

Sony is killing it with the offerings. Will definitely buy Rayman Origins for that price.

No regrets resubscribing in Feb. I think I will continue to do this every year with part of my income tax.

Awesome, awesome month.

Just in the last month and this one I'll have got:

Silent Hill
Trine 2
Need for Speed Shift,
Max Payne

All for free. Sony are knocking it out of the park.

Here's hoping they start doing some nice Vita money off promos soon.

Vorg

Banned
Speedymanic, dude... By your own admission you don't know what kind of deal sony has with publishers on ps+ free content so what exactly is your argument? How do you figure it's bad for devs and good for consumers?

BHK3

Banned
I had Trine 2 in my cart twice, but never pulled the trigger. So glad I waited. Now I can put that $15 toward Datura and something else.

It's still free and will be until next week.

I had a feeling about trine 2, I just looked at the price and just figured it was gonna get a drop soon.

I think publishers and Sony decide what goes up but the developers themselves have no say. I wonder if the free downloads count towards the devs royalty rates.

Can we stop the poor devs nonsense ?

They got salary for their work and their companies made an agreement with publisher - which is no different to any other company to company outsorcing deal.

The_Monk

Never felt so good to grab one year of this. If they keep like this I might even go for another year until 2013...!

So good, I finished Back to the Future: The Game last month, still have Trine 2, Shank 2, etc.

I think I need to create a PS+ Exclusive Backlog!

This is the reason why the games that I want forever will be bought and I never get them as *free*. Anyone subbing PS+ should be expecting this and shouldn't complain at all.

i did expect it but it was way more jarring and inconvenient than i imagined. i never even played most of that stuff, i just wasted time downloading then deleting them

costs me a lot less overall to just flat out buy the content i want

snap0212

So... why exactly would anyone think that publishers would be willing to participate in a program that's bad for them? That idea just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So... why exactly would anyone think that publishers would be willing to participate in a program that's bad for them? That idea just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Think of all the stupid things publishers do, is it really that big of a stretch? :p

Vlodril

I doubt it. Look at Shank 2, they must have lost a lot of sales, same with Trine 2 and now Awesomeanauts is getting the 100% discount treatment. Can't see Sony reimbursing them a ton of money or anywhere near the money they lose through potential sales.

Big mistake by Sony to put brand new titles up as 100%. They have a decent back catalogue on SEN, use the 100% discount to promote older games or titles that have sequels coming up and give discounts to newer titles. If these promotions start to eat into sales on SEN, developers simply won't bother releasing titles come next gen.

You are trying hard to sell this as a bad thing. I don't see how Sony would do this without the developers being behind such a move and them actually profiting from it.

Looking forward to the two Castlevania games too.
I'm not finishing the free stuff I get anymore. Not enough time. My Backlog for PS+ is growing!! NOOOOOOOOOOO

Ifrit

Nice deals, good thing I have PSN+ for like 3 more months for free thanks to promotional codes :)

Sly Cooper 1 HD, Shift 2 and Shank 2 were awesome

Irish

I'm still absolutely pissed that Euro Plussers bitched and moaned so much about the stuff the US+ was getting that all the worthwhile US stuff came to an absolute standstill and the Euros started getting tons upon tons of free nonsense. I didn't renew because of that. >=[

JJD

Man, PSN Plus is fucking awesome!

I just wish Sony made more deals on old PSP games. Jeanne D'Arc is still more than 20 bucks!!!

C'mon Sony, I just bought a Vita!

test_account

XP-39C²
lol wat?

It's not comparable in the least. Does Netflix offer movie streaming for movies that were just released in theaters? Does Spotify offer full albums that were released days ago? (not sure about Spotify, never used the service)
It is not that often that brand new released games are given away for free on PS+. Most of the games in the topics are fairly old games. And it is the developers who want to do it, i really doubt that Sony can just give away this stuff for free without the developers' approval.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The way the offerings on PS+ are expanding, I'd assume that Sony are seeing some upside to the approach. Which in turn makes me wonder if Orbis/PS4 is going to push further with this kind of "programmed" approach to distribution.

I mean its just packaging up rental/discounts/freebies/subscriber bonuses into a package that incentivizes maintaining a subscription due to the limited time-periods each deal is offered for.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
aw man, castelvanias are awesome, but why cant US get silent hill? aw well.

9KZT2l.jpg

Hmm...

Someone isn't up to date on their PSN+ news

GraveRobberX

The way the offerings on PS+ are expanding, I'd assume that Sony are seeing some upside to the approach. Which in turn makes me wonder if Orbis/PS4 is going to push further with this kind of "programmed" approach to distribution.

I mean its just packaging up rental/discounts/freebies/subscriber bonuses into a package that incentives maintaining a subscription due to the limited time-periods each deal is offered for.

Also they get your money before-hand and your locked into whatever content they offer, for every good month, there have been 2 bad ones lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
GraveRobberX said:
Also they get your money before-hand and your locked into whatever content they offer, for every good month, there have been 2 bad ones lol

Yep. Its pretty smart/sneaky.

But hell, I can't complain, its not an expensive service. Cloud saves and auto-patching are invaluable, and I've gotten more than my money's worth in savings/rentals.

GraveRobberX

Maybe this is desperate Sony

PSN+ is the start on the long journey to Salvation... DUN DUN DUN!

Agent X

I know I've said this over the last couple of months, but now this truly looks like the best month ever for PlayStation Plus!

I didn't get around to getting Trine 2 when it released a few months ago, but I'm very happy to have the opportunity to grab it for free next week Then there's Rock of Ages, which has been a long time coming...so glad it's finally arriving on PSN. Awesomenauts looks like it'll be a fun multiplayer game as well, and I'm eager to get a glimpse of PixelJunk 4am.

I already have Castlevania Chronicles both as a disc and a download, but it's great that other Plus members will be able to play this entry in the series. I don't have Symphony of the Night as a download, but I do have it on disc, as well as part of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. This will still be welcome in my collection, in case Sony ever gets around to enabling PS1 classics to be playable on the Vita.

The two free Minis (Floating Cloud God Saves The Pilgrims and Velocity) both look good in the previews I've seen. There haven't been a lot of Minis released in recent months compared to when the program first started, but quality seems to be taking the place of quantity, and these could be two of the finest yet.

The only problem with having such a spectacular month of bonuses is that it's going to be difficult to top it again!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is it really a deal if you're paying money to get discounts?

I got a NA PS+ free from a contest, by my count I've gotten $89 USD give or take some cents just from discounts. Even if I paid the $50 USD for it, that's still $39 savings which is a good deal to me.

Then there are all the "free" games like Shank 2 which I wouldn't have purchased in the first place, which in a year's time of rentals hasn't been so bad if I think of it as half the price of PS+. Just look, I'm getting Rock of Ages soon rather than spending 800 Microsoft points on it or whatever their space money is worth in Pounds, that's a deal for a game I'll play once or twice all the way through.

It's all about what you get out of it and how you normally treat PSN. For some it's worth it, others it won't be, but the chance is there to be a great deal.

Apath

I can't believe someone is actually trying to spin offering cool new games for free as a negative.

And where are the Vita deals Sony >=[

US got the best deals but some of the UK stuff is okay, I thought we already got Silent Hill last week though? Max Payne will be cool to play through on the PS2 version again, a mate of mine rented it on release day and we played the whole thing in one night, awesome fun.

Lots of good stuff this month. PS+ really paying for itself.

Damn, I miss Qore though now. That was one of my reasons I bought a subscription.

Any chance they will offer the older episodes free for PS+ members?

Top Bottom