• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS NOW. Rentals from US$2.99 to US$19.99.

They said at the conference they'll be testing different prices throughout the beta. It'll be interesting to see the final prices. My first thought was that Sony would try be to similar to the Gamefly pricing.

I just hope they're able to bring the entire PS library to the service at some point. That would be great.

ramuh

3 bucks for 2 days. 10 bucks for a week, 20 for three weeks.

The ten bucks would be the sweet spot. Especially if we are talking long single players games. Two days is usually to short to complete those.

ZeroX03

Banned
$20 for a month on a new release title doesn't seem like a bad deal. Specifically single player stuff. Cannot see it being a good deal in many other situations though.

rockx4

Wait... that doesn't make sense

It's literally cheaper to do 4 weeks then a month in your math

Hell its almost cheaper to do 4 weeks than two weeks in your math

Obviously you should pre-pay more for the month.. just in case they run out... or something.

BigDug13

Gamefly 1 game per month is what, $16? Using gift certificates, I can rent 2 games at a time for a 3 month period for less than $60.

That's twice the games per dollar as 1 game for $20 through PS Now per month.

Bigger selection I'm sure. Plus PS2 games if you are still rocking a phat. And no internet requirement or input latency.

213372bu

Banned
That's exactly the price points that popped in my head.

Oops read that out wrong

$3/3 days rather than a week.

But that would be assuming Sony gets rid of placeholders.
Gamefly is $22 per month for 2 games at a time and you can rotate those games out as much as you want.

What's the justification for old games for $20 per month of single rental? Shit, you might as well buy these games used.

I really envisioned a Netflix streaming type service with a per-month fee and a rotating set of playable games. Not this nickel and dime per-game crap that is a lower value than Gamefly.
It really is only worth it when smartphone capability is implemented.

Danneee

So, if this will include PS4 games it could be Sonys spin on DRM. I'm sure publishers would rather see me pay them 20 bucks for a playthrough of their game instead of paying 60 and then trading it or selling it used.
And I'd rather do that too.

BigDug13

Gamefly is $22 per month for 2 games at a time and you can rotate those games out as much as you want.

What's the justification for old games for $20 per month of single rental? Shit, you might as well buy these games used.

I really envisioned a Netflix streaming type service with a per-month fee and a rotating set of playable games. Not this nickel and dime per-game crap that is a lower value than Gamefly.

ramuh

I am not familiar with all the licensing that goes on with PS1 and PS2 games and streaming. Is PS Now a way to get around that?

So they can offer a large swath of games by streaming it instead of "selling" the digital purchased good.

This rental business could be more of a Netflix approach for profit gain. I'm not against it and would probably use it (thankfully no bandwidth caps).

Well wait to see exactly which games are $20 and the terms that come with it, and maybe then you'll be able to figure out the justification instead of being angry with partial details.

Maximus.

Was hoping for a subscription rather than pay per title. I know it may come later, but I liked the idea of this being the "Netflix" of games.....one day I guess.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
More interested in subscription based services. Maybe different tiers with access to newer games being more expensive? And I wonder whether they would care to introduce this service to countries like mine aka Singapore. We don't even have things like PlayStation Mobile yet.

I think Sony will (and already are) facing an uphill task trying to get publishers onboard this thing. That's probably where the inflated pricing is coming from.

Sean

Banned
Based on this pricing it seems like both Redbox and GameFly are a way better value.

Only way I can see this service being successful is with a cheap Netflix style subscription fee.

rockx4

$20 is insanely expensive for any PS3 rental. PSNow should definitely be a Netflix style subscription plan per month, and maybe a limit on how times you can swap games per week.

This isn't so much about getting PS3 or PS4 players to play their games. It's a long term plan to get every device they can, running every game they can, to sell(rent) as much as they can. So they are pricing it that way, of course no one who has access to a ps3/ps4 and a decent rental option(redbox,gamefly, etc.) will waste time on the $20 rental. But, someone who picked up a Bravia, or a vita, would love to be able to play some of the classics for cheap, all they need is a DS3, or 4. So the barrier to entry is low. I wish there were more variance in pricing, as some games aren't worth 1.99 no matter how long the rental, and some games are worth more than 19.99 for 30 days. It's a great option and it does work well. I can't wait to see how they perform on an actual Bravia irl. This is a long term plan, and I applaud Sony.

Edit: and I believe with no doubt, there will be some sort of subscription plan soon.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm definitely more interested in the subscription model for PS Now, so I'll probably sign up when they roll that out.

GulAtiCa

$20 for a month for brand new games on release might work for me, but certainly not older games. Esp ps1/2 era games. For that price I might as well buy the game

Kiyo

As someone who doesn't own a PS3 anymore, I'd pay $20 to rent Persona 5 for a month if it was available the same day as release.

subrock

Probably won't jump in on this until there is a subscription model. Paying per title seems too expensive to me.

Sean

Banned
$20 for a month for brand new games on release might work for me, but certainly not older games. Esp ps1/2 era games. For that price I might as well buy the game

GameFly is like $20 a month for two games at a time. You could get at least four rentals per month with them for the same price.

Even for brand new games, I don't see how that pricing is worth it.

GulAtiCa

GameFly is like $20 a month for two games at a time. You could get at least four rentals per month with them for the same price.

Even for brand new games, I don't see how that pricing is worth it.
Oh yeah, gamefly is likely the better option.

True, but Sony is in this for the long run. They didn't spend x million on Gaikai for nothing. They are planning on streaming these games to every device they create. Devices without disc drives, or USB slots, or cartridge insertion. They want everything they create to be able to use this service. Stop thinking of it as a console only service. Think big picture. Casual with a Bravia may be tempted in for a classic game(PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP?) Vita TV is coming, and for 99$ I can stream a thousand games on demand for chump change, yes please. I can't rent discs for my Bravia, or my Vita, or my Vita TV( I don't own a vita or vita tv just hypothetical.)

Jabba

Banned
True, but Sony is in this for the long run. They didn't spend x million on Gaikai for nothing. They are planning on streaming these games to every device they create. Devices without disc drives, or USB slots, or cartridge insertion. They want everything they create to be able to use this service. Stop thinking of it as a console only service. Think big picture. Casual with a Bravia may be tempted in for a classic game(PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP?) Vita TV is coming, and for 99$ I can stream a thousand games on demand for chump change, yes please. I can't rent discs for my Bravia, or my Vita, or my Vita TV( I don't own a vita or vita tv just hypothetical.)

Yep, if the service is popular and pretty profitable, with the right business deals in place, they could expand the service to all kinds of devices in the future. Other Tv manufacturers, Tablets etc......

Jomjom

Banned
$20 for a rental? GTFO

$2.99 is reasonable if it is for a few days.

Well right now it seems to only give you 7 day or 30 days (maybe also a 14 day, I can't remember). $2.99 for 7 days or even better, 14 days would be a decent deal considering Red Box charges $2 for a day.

Top Bottom