• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pallaris

Im playing the US versions of FIFA and MvC3 on my UK account without any re-formatting requirements. Same memory card is also holding a ton of EU PSP games and saves/install data for my EU Everybody's Golf.

How is this possible? I was under the impression only items purchased from the same account as the Vita would work? I.e. if you originally tied your vita to your UK account you could only play stuff purchased from that UK account going forward?

Number45

How is this possible? I was under the impression only items purchased from the same account as the Vita would work? I.e. if you originally tied your vita to your UK account you could only play stuff purchased from that UK account going forward?
You can reset the Vita without formatting the memory card.

MickeyPhree

Resident Evil 3 is rocking my life on the vita(too bad it's only remote play). I never really played it since it came out right after the Dreamcast, but to pick it up and play via the Vita is great.

VanWinkle

Sorry if somebody posted this already, but I saw something interesting on the Playstation Blog that was posted today. It was Dylan Cuthbert's post about the Pixeljunk sale, and there a part on it that says:

We developed the PixelJunk games in parallel and a few months after Racers we launched the smash hit PixelJunk Monsters which has been extremely popular over the years (oh, and the “Deluxe” PSP version will even run on your PS Vita as of May 15th!).

Could this be a sign that we are finally getting more compatible titles? Man I hope so. But with our luck, it will only be the one game, lol.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Sorry if somebody posted this already, but I saw something interesting on the Playstation Blog that was posted today. It was Dylan Cuthbert's post about the Pixeljunk sale, and there a part on it that says:

Could this be a sign that we are finally getting more compatible titles? Man I hope so. But with our luck, it will only be the one game, lol.

Interesting, what makes more titles "compatible" with the Vita in regards to PSP emulation?

Will it require a firmware update that we are going to end up getting before we can play new titles (secretly holding out for PS1 emulation, lol) or are the games themselves tweaked in some way to make them work properly?

VanWinkle

Interesting, what makes more titles "compatible" with the Vita in regards to PSP emulation?

Will it require a firmware update that we are going to end up getting before we can play new titles (secretly holding out for PS1 emulation, lol) or are the games themselves tweaked in some way to make them work properly?

I am not sure, my friend, since the first round of titles were up and running on Vita when the First Edition Bundle came out. I don't know what the process is in regards to getting PSP titles on the Vita PS Store.

Afrikan

I don't think Sony is ever going to release Colony Wars in the U.S. store, huh? They probebly think no one gives a fck...or hell some of the Store workers probebly don't know it ever existed.

Can i put the retail CW disc in the PS3 and still play it remotely? Like the digital psx games.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I absolutely love my Vita, and play it every day on the bus ride to and from work, and even at home when I'm not in the mood to play the PS3.

I have a ton of PSP titles to play, and I'm still working on completing Unit 13. I'm looking forward to Resistance: Burning Skies later this month, but mostly Gravity Daze/Rush and LittleBigPlanet.

I'm really hoping that we get an inFAMOUS Vita. Maybe set in a new city, with a new protagonist/power set.

I'm not terribly concerned about the Vita. It's barely been out 3 months in the US and EU, and yet I've purchased more Vita and PSP content to play on it than I bought in an entire year of owning a PS1, PS2, and PS3 when they first released.

I can't think of a single console that has, 3 months out, produced a huge library of amazing titles.

This is where I feel backwards compatibility is really important; for that first year hump. The Vita's first year, however, is looking really damn impressive, judging by that list of released and upcoming titles from the other thread.

Besides, I have other consoles to keep me busy during any dry spells. I've recently gotten addicted to Super Star Dust Delta's Endless mode. I've been playing that in between Unit 13 missions on the bus. Also, playing Symphony of the Night on that Vita screen has been heaven. Eventually, I'll sink my teeth into FF Tactics (which I've owned on PS1 for years, and still haven't put much time into it), and FFIV: Complete Collection.

Once Sony gets off it's ass and patches in PS1 bc, I'll have Alundra, FFV, and Vagrant Story to play. I may end up breaking down and double dipping on Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and FFIX PS1 classics as well. Damn I love RPGs. Why does that have to be my favorite genre, when I don't have the time to invest in them like I used to?!

ReaperXL7

The puzzling thing is that PS:p2 was on the store, but Sega (or Sony) took it down for some reason.

You know thinking about it, I would not put it past Sony, or Sega to have pulled it for a reason. I mean, I don't know how successful PS:p2 was on the PSP, but I wonder if Sony would try to do PSP to Vita HD collections.

There was a post in one of the Vita threads, where someone had e-mailed Sega asking them something about Phantasy Star Online 2, and in the response they did say that there was something else Phantasy Star related to the Vita, and to stay tuned (paraphrasing). So I guess the latest we would hear about it would probably be TGS.

I'm curious what the reception would be if Sony were to do upgraded PSP collections for the Vita though, depending on the series I could go for it, but I don't know what they would pick.

Marz

I absolutely love my Vita, and play it every day on the bus ride to and from work, and even at home when I'm not in the mood to play the PS3.

I have a ton of PSP titles to play, and I'm still working on completing Unit 13. I'm looking forward to Resistance: Burning Skies later this month, but mostly Gravity Daze/Rush and LittleBigPlanet.

I'm really hoping that we get an inFAMOUS Vita. Maybe set in a new city, with a new protagonist/power set.

I'm not terribly concerned about the Vita. It's barely been out 3 months in the US and EU, and yet I've purchased more Vita and PSP content to play on it than I bought in an entire year of owning a PS1, PS2, and PS3 when they first released.

I can't think of a single console that has, 3 months out, produced a huge library of amazing titles.

This is where I feel backwards compatibility is really important; for that first year hump. The Vita's first year, however, is looking really damn impressive, judging by that list of released and upcoming titles from the other thread.

Besides, I have other consoles to keep me busy during any dry spells. I've recently gotten addicted to Super Star Dust Delta's Endless mode. I've been playing that in between Unit 13 missions on the bus. Also, playing Symphony of the Night on that Vita screen has been heaven. Eventually, I'll sink my teeth into FF Tactics (which I've owned on PS1 for years, and still haven't put much time into it), and FFIV: Complete Collection.

Once Sony gets off it's ass and patches in PS1 bc, I'll have Alundra, FFV, and Vagrant Story to play. I may end up breaking down and double dipping on Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and FFIX PS1 classics as well. Damn I love RPGs. Why does that have to be my favorite genre, when I don't have the time to invest in them like I used to?!

Yea my feelings exactly. Didn't own a PSP or a PS1 so I can see myself being very busy based off of those two factors alone. As long as Sony gives the Vita some decent support i'm going to be in love with this machine for a very long time.

Right now playing through Dracula X Chronicles and loving it.

branny

Hopefully the white one makes it over here since importing consoles is always a little risky. I'm happier with black than I thought I was going to be, though. Before launch, I was dead set on white. Now I don't know if I'd get white or black again if my current Vita broke. Weird.

great post and pretty much mirrors my feelings on the device. I LOVE this thing and really hope it finds it's audience. It deserves success

That being said, yeah, Sony needs to get off their asses and patch in PSX support ASAP. Hell, maybe relaunch the service on PSN/SEN period with a whole slew of new titles to bolter Vita's catalog.

Number45

My enthusiasm for PS1 support is dampened by only having access to the PAL versions (and not wanting any kind of multi-account tomfoolery on my Vita). I really wish they'd give us the option to download the US versions. :(

SLV

Hey guys, i am thinking of buying a Vita soonish, and i have got some questions i hope that you guys can answer me.

Basically, is it worth getting a 3G Vita ? And i am thinking this about the near working correctly.
Now i have multiple scenarios here, i want for the near and stuff work correctly wherever i am, this means i will either:

A.) Get a second simcard for Vita, as they probably wont make a duplicate of the same card i use in my phone ,if i ask them for a device that only has 3g access and no calling.
(In my country 3g Vita's are sold without a sub, you just buy it and stick any operators card you wish, all operators cost 2gb a month for 10 $, goes up to H+ in speed.)

B.) Will i get the same affect if i use my SGS 2, with the 3G vita, as a portable hotspot, without a sim card in the Vita ? Will the GPS with "wifi" work correctly with near, wherever i am located, Unlike with a wifi only vita without adding my IP and router in that skyhook or whatever it was application ?

I hope you can understand what i am talking about, i just want for all the awesome features to work as they should.

Anyone ? ;( Don't leave me hanging here guys !

If you use galaxy as hot spot Vita will think it's on wi-fi and you will be able to play online.

I have 3G and i mostly use it for twitter reader or to que downloads from store on the way home.

Number45

I've been without a SIM card in mine for some time, and I really miss the true always on experience. Even though I have a tethering enabled iPhone with unlimited data, for some reason I find it unreliable in connecting (works fine if I force the connection, but often won't connect automatically) and it can be a pain (takes me a good few attempts to upload my EG daily data for example).

Probably going to bite the bullet and get a Three 1GB SIM.

In terms of actual value, at the moment I think it's hard to argue that the 3G is worth it. I, like a lot of others, bought it just in case.

Vlodril

I was waiting for TITS price drop (it was 35 euro's!) and i recently starting playing wipeout that needed a code for mp. So i check the shop, check the price drop tab and tits is there. For 5 euro less...Really? What is wrong with youuu.

I don't think Sony is ever going to release Colony Wars in the U.S. store, huh? They probebly think no one gives a fck...or hell some of the Store workers probebly don't know it ever existed.

Can i put the retail CW disc in the PS3 and still play it remotely? Like the digital psx games.

Love Colony Wars! Still have my disc. I remember being blown away by the graphics in that game when I first bought it! For your question, yes you can remote play with PS1 discs just like digital. I did this with Rival Schools recently.

SLV

If you use galaxy as hot spot Vita will think it's on wi-fi and you will be able to play online.

I have 3G and i mostly use it for twitter reader or to que downloads from store on the way home.

I've been without a SIM card in mine for some time, and I really miss the true always on experience. Even though I have a tethering enabled iPhone with unlimited data, for some reason I find it unreliable in connecting (works fine if I force the connection, but often won't connect automatically) and it can be a pain (takes me a good few attempts to upload my EG daily data for example).

Probably going to bite the bullet and get a Three 1GB SIM.

In terms of actual value, at the moment I think it's hard to argue that the 3G is worth it. I, like a lot of others, bought it just in case.

Ok, but what about Near ? How correctly will it work in either of those situations ? Compared to the other ?

For example, i am sitting in a park, or at a seaside village. Now near will not obviously work if there is no Wi-Fi, available at the spot, but with a Vita 3g either with a sim card inside or tethered, will it correctly locate itself, from tethering + GPS use ?
As far as i understand a wifi only vita + tethering, has also nat 3, and cant locate itself in near for obvious reasons...

Number45

Ok, but what about Near ? How correctly will it work in either of those situations ? Compared to the other ?

For example, i am sitting in a park, or at a seaside village. Now near will not obviously work if there is no Wi-Fi, available at the spot, but with a Vita 3g either with a sim card inside or tethered, will it correctly locate itself, from tethering + GPS use ?
As far as i understand a wifi only vita + tethering, has also nat 3, and cant locate itself in near for obvious reasons...
I don't know how Skyhook treats roaming hotspots to be honest. In theory it would register it at a location (whatever location you first register it at) and then each time you connected using it, it would assume you're at that location. Perhaps someone that's tried it could help you on that though.

SLV

I don't know how Skyhook treats roaming hotspots to be honest. In theory it would register it at a location (whatever location you first register it at) and then each time you connected using it, it would assume you're at that location. Perhaps someone that's tried it could help you on that though.

Yes, that is why i am asking this, a simple wifi vita is a no go in this scenario, that is why i am wondering if a vita 3g that has GPS, will be able to locate itself from GPS + tethered wifi. Logically thinking, it should always take GPS data as the primary location service, but with the skyhook system, that might even not be so, that is why i want to know before i bite the bullet.

Because the price difference in my country between wifi only and 3g is 65-70 $ ;_;
And i am not willing to import at all because of DAT 3 year WARRANTY

Koroviev

I was waiting for TITS price drop (it was 35 euro's!) and i recently starting playing wipeout that needed a code for mp. So i check the shop, check the price drop tab and tits is there. For 5 euro less...Really? What is wrong with youuu.

So it's still 30 euros? That's insane. PSP games should not be rivaling Vita games with respect to cost. Not at all.

snap0212

So it's still 30 euros? That's insane. PSP games should not be rivaling Vita games with respect to cost. Not at all.
I agree. Persona 3 was recently discounted and it still 30€. That's just too much for me to spend on a PSP game when I can get a new Vita game at my local game store for less.

magawolaz

This kickstarter went up from $70k to $115k in a couple of days, it's a shame if it doesn't make it: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm
wNL9k.jpg
17 hours to go!

Number45

Yes, that is why i am asking this, a simple wifi vita is a no go in this scenario, that is why i am wondering if a vita 3g that has GPS, will be able to locate itself from GPS + tethered wifi. Logically thinking, it should always take GPS data as the primary location service, but with the skyhook system, that might even not be so, that is why i want to know before i bite the bullet.

Because the price difference in my country between wifi only and 3g is 65-70 $ ;_;
And i am not willing to import at all because of DAT 3 year WARRANTY
My experience with near on 3G was perfect, even to the point that it would register my location at rural areas that I pass through on the drive between work and home. If that's any help.

Also, just found this on their submit page:

Note: User submitted data is processed immediately by Skyhook. For most devices, this will mean you should immediately see the difference in your location. If you are moving an existing access point in our system, it may take up to 7 days for the new location to take effect on the device. Depending on the update frequency of our partners, data entered here can take up to 7 days to be included in their results. One interim option is to download Loki, our location-based toolbar.
So I wouldn't expect the WiFi to update in a timely manner at all times, if at all.

Brera

Banned
My PSP touchscreen goes haywire when plugged into the mains.

How common is this problem, is it hardware or software?

SLV

My experience with near on 3G was perfect, even to the point that it would register my location at rural areas that I pass through on the drive between work and home. If that's any help.

Also, just found this on their submit page:

So I wouldn't expect the WiFi to update in a timely manner at all times, if at all.

I see, well only one question remains unanswered, GPS + tethering, but seams like 3g vita might be the way to go then, i drive around a lot...

If only someone could test it out, so i could know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom