• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
the screen is beautiful because of oled, not because of the size imo, actually, making it smaller resulting in higher dpi screen might make it look even better.

BULLSHIT!!!

nah jk. potato, potato I guess. Id never give up a mm of space while I guess some people would for some portability. I turn on my psp and couldn't fathom living without my Vita screen size.

EDIT: yes i did forget PSP screen improvements...i was just posting quick off the top of my head.

How does that work exactly?

OPTION -> System Options -> Upload the save data. Saves it under your PSN ID.

It's meant for PS3/Vita cloud saving, but it also works as a backup tool. From what I gleaned, it doesn't save your level, but all your gallery swag and story mode progress is saved.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
OPTION -> System Options -> Upload the save data. Saves it under your PSN ID.

It's meant for PS3/Vita cloud saving, but it also works as a backup tool. From what I gleaned, it doesn't save your level, but all your gallery swag and story mode progress is saved.
Quite nice.
Vita cloud saving is needed.

Flunkie

Banned
Thanks for the P3P advice guys. Always wanted to try it out. Think I'll bite on that instead of MHFU, since I'm just not in the MH mood recently.

Just want Gravity Rush to get here. :(

Cookie18

Quite nice.
Vita cloud saving is needed.

This just made me think. Supposedly there will be 2 types of Playstation Plus going forward. What if these were to be a PS3 specific one and a Vita specific one. On the PS3 one you get a 'big' PS3 game each time and with Vita you get a 'big' Vita game each time with some crossover in the multi platform stuff. Sony could have an all in plan where you get everything for cheaper than the two bought separately. I'd definitely prefer a Vita one over a PS3 one.

Cool, looking at the list canabalt, where is my heart, and velocity minis all work in the US but only via the PS3.
Thanks, added.

Edit2: Just making sure, all the ones listed in the OP will work? And would be awesome if someone could verify that the other games do, in fact, NOT work.
All have been reported to work, but they haven't been tested for all regions.

The OP list sucks, use this list instead, as it's updated regularly. Though neither cover PAL compatibility, which is annoying.
That's a bit harsh. If you have any suggestions on how to improve it, I'll listen.

That's interesting. It's still called Soul Sacrifice.

So that other similar sounding game (Forsaken Souls) registered by Sony can still be...

8358.dark-souls-you-died.jpg-610x0_large_large.jpg

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looking through all the PSN minis, I found a few interesting ones. Anyone can confirm whether any of these work on US Vita? I'd also very much appreciate gameplay impressions.

Alien Zombie Death
Archibalds Adventure
Athena
Bashi Blocks
Block Cascade
Boom Beats
Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter
Carnivores: Ice Age (Not in the OP list)
Cohort Chess (Not in the OP list)
Doodle Fit
Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Not in the OP list)
Gamocracy One: Legend of Robo7 (Not in the OP list)
History Egypt Engineering an Empire
Hysteria Project 2 (Not in the OP list)
I must run!
The Impossible Game (Not in the OP list)
PixnLove Rush (Not in the OP list)
Monsters (probably) stole my princess

Edit: just wrote up the list while checking PSN, gonna cross check with the OP list now. Still would like to read some impressions :)

Edit2: Just making sure, all the ones listed in the OP will work? And would be awesome if someone could verify that the other games do, in fact, NOT work.
Archibald adventure is GREAT, take it.
Gamocracy one is a nice platformer, nothing great but good.
I must run is funny but impossible, i have never heard or seen someone beat the third or fourth level(over six)
Monster probably stole my princess... DON'T BUY IT, 5 or 6 level that last literally 10 minutes in one playtrough.

bede-x

Still no news on Castlevania X Chronicles coming to the EU store, how disappointing, utterly so.

Not to mention Ultimate G'n G, Field Commander, Jeanne d'Arc and many others. Release schedules like that feel a little antiquated with something like Gog and Steam around who (mostly) releases their games in Europe. Step up your game, Sony(and MS and Nintendo as well).

Not to mention Ultimate G'n G, Field Commander, Jeanne d'Arc and many others. Release schedules like that feel a little antiquated with something like Gog and Steam around who (mostly) releases their games in Europe. Step up your game, Sony.

Jeanne d'Arc never even got a PAL release so I doubt it's ever happening. Fucking sucks, I imported a retail US copy way back when it first came out but can't play it on my Vita unless I switch to my US account and buy it there. If Sony had any clue they'd add gifting, there'd never be problems like this and they'd get more money from us.

As for Castlevania, is that just for the Vita EU PSN? Cause it isn't on the NZ PSN at all.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Where is my Heart is such a fantastic game.

Are there other minis with that kind of quality? I'm not feeling Velocity, so it's good that it was free on PS+.

After the first day of Vita ownership, I was quite pleased with the screen. But after last night, I'm now less impressed. I'm somewhat spoilt by the iPad 3, but I have no problem with the slightly lower PPI. My problem is... the brightness doesn't go down enough. I guess this is a flaw in OLED tech, because there's no separate backlight to control?

Unlike the iPad 3, which I can comfortably use on minimum brightness in complete darkness in bed, the Vita is uncomfortably bright on its lowest setting.

Also, there is some nastly splotches/stripes on black screens, which is extremely noticeable in darkness, and much more distracting than LCD backlight bleed. I understand this is also a common flaw in Vita screens? (indeed a quick google brings up a previous thread on GAF about this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465768 along with many other results).

So it's a lovely screen during the day, but not so great at night. And for something I bought mostly to play in bed, that's rather disappointing.

Nakiro

Has there been any further news about the Urban Trials game for Vita?
There were few screenshots but other then that I haven't heard anything else.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Welp, hands are starting to cramp up playing VITA games again. Sucks having these mitts.

Does anyone recommend those trigger grips for extended plays?

Welp, hands are starting to cramp up playing VITA games again. Sucks having these mitts.

I thought the pdp grip was more comfortable but ultimately returned it because it wouldn't fit into any case I could find.

After the first day of Vita ownership, I was quite pleased with the screen. But after last night, I'm now less impressed. I'm somewhat spoilt by the iPad 3, but I have no problem with the slightly lower PPI. My problem is... the brightness doesn't go down enough. I guess this is a flaw in OLED tech, because there's no separate backlight to control?

Unlike the iPad 3, which I can comfortably use on minimum brightness in complete darkness in bed, the Vita is uncomfortably bright on its lowest setting.

Also, there is some nastly splotches/stripes on black screens, which is extremely noticeable in darkness, and much more distracting than LCD backlight bleed. I understand this is also a common flaw in Vita screens? (indeed a quick google brings up a previous thread on GAF about this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465768 along with many other results).

So it's a lovely screen during the day, but not so great at night. And for something I bought mostly to play in bed, that's rather disappointing.

That's how I see it, too. The brightness is no problem for me, but the blotches definitely are.

KalBalboa

Banned
I've got to say, E3 2012 feels like a major finish line for the Vita.

In the past month we've seen a bunch of new games premiered, had our PSP and Mini compatibility get an all-to-needed shot in the arm, seen Gravity Rush & Resistance demos finally hit, and had a bunch of services confirmed or heavily rumored prior to the conference (YouTube, PS Plus, the leaked PSone game, etc).

I think it shows that Sony, internally, had E3 2012 as their first major deadline for the console and that all their personal success metrics were based on what they could do between the US launch at June 4th. Having Where Is My Heart, Velocity, Pixel Junk Monsters, and that Gravity Rush demo sitting on my Vita's memory card really make the console feel much more substantial then it did only a few weeks ago.

I really hope to see PSone support confirmed during the conference.

Agreed

PSX support NEEDS to be launched next week

Vita is still my all time favorite handheld, which is nuts considering what's out right now

I'm just that in love with the hardware. I mean shit, as of late, I've been finding my Vita more comfortable to hold than my beloved Dualshock3!
Sticks are still obviously better though on the DS3.

haadim

I use HORI extending grips and they are very comfortable for long gaming sessions.

Well it's not like those games at all. There's only one dungeon in the entire game and a lot of time is spent building your social links which is essentially a dating sim. I got P3P because of GAF hype and was so mindfucked that anyone enjoyed the game. It was terrible. Apparently P4 is better but I don't think I want to give the series another chance.

I got P3P because of GAF hype and absolutely loved the game... sank more than 100 hours into it in the end, and enjoyed every minute. The social links "sim" aspect of the game is a significant part of it by design, and if you don't enjoy that part I can see how you wouldn't enjoy the game, but I thought it was fun and fascinating, and the "one dungeon" - Tartarus - is huge, many floors high, and endlessly challenging... The plot is interesting, and I really enjoyed the combination of "mundane" game tasks (managing your day-to-day activities as a high school student) juxtaposed with the supernatural trials of combat in Tartarus. Bottom line is that this is a deep and complex game, and you have to let yourself delve into and appreciate it's complexities, or there's not much here for you.

Hmm, yeah I guess the only real changes that came to the PSP were the slimming down and unlocking of more horsepower (pretty damn important) but that didn't come until later in it's life...good point.
Improved screen X2 (2000 > 1000, 3000 > 2000), video out, added internal mic (3000) and increased RAM from 32MB to 64MB are the other significant improvements...

The PSPgo was just better in every way than the UMD-equipped versions, but that didn't help it much...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Agreed

PSX support NEEDS to be launched next week

Which really worries me about the Gaikai announcement. I'm really hoping they don't just let you stream PSX games but let you play them off the memory card as well.

snap0212

Which really worries me about the Gaikai announcement. I'm really hoping they don't just let you stream PSX games but let you play them off the memory card as well.
That'd be the worst possible scenario. I can already do that with the PS3 in the same room and the experience is not good at all. Can't imagine how bad it'd be if I had to steam the content from a server that's far away.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Yes, this would be a pretty lackluster scenario. I wouldn't mind it for PS2 games, since it'd probably not ever happen on the Vita, but PS1 support already exists on the vita with what we've seen from the leak of PS1 Classics having their own LiveArea.

What we saw with the single game leak suggest you will be able to play them off the memory card. Just like PSP.

KalBalboa

Banned
I hope so as well.

I think I'll come of Sony's conference a bit peeved if it isn't.

Looking at their PSone/PSN track record at E3's past, and also noting how this got leaked, I'm expecting someone to announce that PSone games will be available either during the conference on or Monday. Everytime the Vita gains another backwards-compatible game it makes it's library that much richer, and I have over a dozen PSone games sitting on my PS3 at home.

What's actually really enticing about PSone support is the Plus factor. Considering how the "free" Plus Minis work on Vitas already, look at how many PSone games get added to Plus every month. I think every Resident Evil game was added once, and grandfathering that over to the Vita would be a joy.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Has my Vita died?
Won't turn on.
Won't charge.

Plugged into wall outlet, surge protector, cradle, PC via USB, PS3 via USB.
No combination works.
Original first party cables, chargers, and peripherals.

Last night, plugging it on via all the methods listed above would cause the PS Home light to flucker orange briefly before dying off. Today, not even that.

Haven't touched it in a month; wanted to see how bad Resistance really is. Figure that either the battery or charger has failed.

Curiously, R1 killed my first PS3.
This R bastard spin-off may have killed mh Vita.

PS Vita False-Starter Edition. :(

mauaus

Has my Vita died?
Won't turn on.
Won't charge.

Plugged into wall outlet, surge protector, cradle, PC via USB, PS3 via USB.
No combination works.
Original first party cables, chargers, and peripherals.

Last night, plugging it on via all the methods listed above would cause the PS Home light to flucker orange briefly before dying off. Today, not even that.

Haven't touched it in a month; wanted to see how bad Resistance really is. Figure that either the battery or charger has failed.

Curiously, R1 killed my first PS3.
This R bastard spin-off may have killed mh Vita.

PS Vita False-Starter Edition. :(
Leave it charging for a few mins before trying again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom