• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I have four Vita games and the only one I really play is UMvC3, although I have it on PS3 also. Anyone have UMvC3 and would like to play? PSN is ScalpelKnight. I'm probably average/slightly above average (I'm not too cautious when playing and can't be bothered to learn more advanced things, so although I may seem good I'm really not that good)

PSY・S;36045933 said:
I wish there were "2x size" and "original size" settings for PSP emulation.
Damn, that would be so tiny, and barely playable. These settings could only serve a certain curiosity, and bragging.

You know, I have four Vita games and the only one I really play is UMvC3, although I have it on PS3 also. Anyone have UMvC3 and would like to play? PSN is ScalpelKnight. I'm probably average/slightly above average (I'm not too cautious when playing and can't be bothered to learn more advanced things, so although I may seem good I'm really not that good)
Add me: DukeTogo1300

I'm an inoffensive sucky player sure to boost your ego many times over.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Defy the very nature of most batteries? I've been managing to get 5-6 hours of battery with 25% brightness, WiFi off, playing both PSP and not so hardware heavy Vita games like Motorstorm and Mutant Blobs.

0% brightness for me. I don't need the brilliance of a thousand suns to enjoy the sick visuals, and I want every bit of power I can get. Though I do have wi-fi on all the time, but that's because connecting to my own router is such an ordeal that I prefer to not be disconnected as much as possible. Seriously, what the hell is up with this thing? I can point the Vita right at my router from 13 feet away (behind a door), and it struggles to connect, even though I can stay connected from the other end of my house. There's less than a 30% chance I'll be able to watch Netflix on any given day, and I don't like them odds. It makes me sad.

bunbun777

°°ToMmY°°;36046072 said:
so guys, i want to buy a new game for my vita.

currently games i own are:
- uncharted
- rayman
- mutant blobs
- ridge racer
- motorstorm rc
- escape plan

i'm interested in lumines, but i'm waiting on a price cut and i'm looking for a 3d person game. i'll be buying ys7, too.

Unit 13 sounds like fun - I have been playing Mon Hunter a bit.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nintendo eshop pouches as a minimal case to stuff the vita in your pocket?

reference:
nds_pouch_red_big_1.jpg

edit: not sure why I used eshop instead of club nintendo.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Does anyone have any experience with the Nintendo eshop pouches as a minimal case to stuff the vita in your pocket?

I use one. Though I don't carry it in my pocket. I just put it in my messenger bag.

Hyuga

Banned

reference:
nds_pouch_red_big_1.jpg

edit: not sure why I used eshop instead of club nintendo.
Ugh, you think this one would protect your VITA if you drop it on the street? :-/

Suzzopher

Should be a firmware update in April. Bringing some more compatibility to PSP games.

Chris Smith ‏ @ChrisSmithster
So Pixel Junk Monsters isn't Vita compatible in Europe :(
Dylan Cuthbert ‏ @dylancuthbert
@ChrisSmithster they are 'enabling' it with a firmware update in April, stay tuned

Ugh, you think this one would protect your VITA if you drop it on the street? :-/

No, but I am more concerned with shoving something in my pocket and scratching my vita. I have a bad habit of stupidly overloading a pocket with stuff even though I know something is already in there.

Hyuga

Banned
No, but I am more concerned with shoving something in my pocket and scratching my vita. I have a bad habit of stupidly overloading a pocket with stuff even though I know something is already in there.

Yeah, I know what you mean.
btw. I can recommend you the VIP (hard)case.
Looking good and the quality is great, too!

Kyb2Bm.jpg

:(

0% brightness for me. I don't need the brilliance of a thousand suns to enjoy the sick visuals, and I want every bit of power I can get.

I've used 0% a few times when in the dark. I don't get why some devices have 0% still displaying, then again I don't get why anyone would set their brightness to pitch black.

It doesn't seem to be unremovable, because it's quite easy to get at it:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation-Vita-Teardown/7872/1

Guess the question is, if we can easily buy those batteries?

Thnx for that link. This quote got me:

When we turn the Vita over, we are instantly thrilled to see a secret code!
It appears to be a cheat code. We postulate that pressing all of the action buttons in order, starting with the triangle and rotating clockwise -- roughly 410 times -- will give you unlimited lives, moneys, manas, likes, whatever!

grin.gif

0% brightness for me. I don't need the brilliance of a thousand suns to enjoy the sick visuals, and I want every bit of power I can get. Though I do have wi-fi on all the time, but that's because connecting to my own router is such an ordeal that I prefer to not be disconnected as much as possible. Seriously, what the hell is up with this thing? I can point the Vita right at my router from 13 feet away (behind a door), and it struggles to connect, even though I can stay connected from the other end of my house. There's less than a 30% chance I'll be able to watch Netflix on any given day, and I don't like them odds. It makes me sad.

BTW speaking about brightness don't you guys get a feeling default 0% is still too bright ?

The battery life comment in the op really needs to be ammended. Sure, if you're playing Uncharted at full brightness you may only get 4 hours but pretty much any other scenario increases upwards from there. Heck, play a PSP title and you could safely double that figure.

DiscoJer

I miss playing Where is My Heart? :(

Couldn't you buy it? (assuming it's in the store) I mean, developers of Minis are generally very small and need as many sales as possible. I assume they get something from being on PS+, but they would love a sale...most only sell in the 4 figures from what I gather

mrklaw

MrArseFace
both Motorstorm:AE and Patapon 3 working fine for me. UK store, think they were both downloaded from PS3 and transferred.

Suzzopher

Couldn't you buy it? (assuming it's in the store) I mean, developers of Minis are generally very small and need as many sales as possible. I assume they get something from being on PS+, but they would love a sale...most only sell in the 4 figures from what I gather

There is no option to buy when you have already downloaded it via Plus.

Thanks for all the new compatibility updates! Once I have the time, I'll also copy over the official list to make it more complete.

Chris_C

I really hope we get a Skyrim/Fallout/Mass Effect/Dark Souls style open world RPG on Vita. We never got anything like that on PSP.

Wipeout: Pure and PAC Man CE shouldn't be listed as incompatible as they both work fine. In fact, I've yet to find a single PSP title that won't play and I've tested around 20 so far.

Wipeout: Pure and PAC Man CE shouldn't be listed as incompatible as they both work fine. In fact, I've yet to find a single PSP title that won't play and I've tested around 20 so far.
The Mini? I tried it about a week ago and had no luck getting it to transfer. Maybe I bought the PS3-only version by mistake or something.

For anyone who's curious about it the Metal Slug Anthology plays very well on the Vita. The load times are marginal enough to be almost completely non-obtrusive (although there are still some weird hitches on the character select screen) and all of the games besides Metal Slug 2 seem to run very well. In MS2 there is some significant slow-down towards the end of the game but I think that's true to the original arcade version. It isn't enough to detract from the experience really, as MS2 was still my favorite game in the Anthology.

Graphics on the Vita screen look nice and crisp and all of the games look great when stretched to fit the screen.

The games control very well using the Vita analog stick which I found preferable to using the d-pad (because of the series' joystick roots).

It's a great purchase for the Vita because it gives you 7 (well, more like 4 or 5 I guess) fun arcade games on your system that are always available to you. I haven't played any of these games in any other form for more than 20 minutes or so though so you might want to take these opinions with a grain of salt.

Oh, and by the way, Metal Slug 4 and 6 are complete garbage.

Deepo

Wipeout: Pure works fine for EU, not for US. Same goes for Ys 1&2 (Unless you bought the US version before a certain date).

I get the feeling that SCEE are being more active in making sure old PSP games work. That's just a feeling though.

SmokyDave

Is there any way of accessing the PS Store through a web-browser?

I can't remember if MS Anthology is on the EU store or not and I'd like to check that kinda thing from work.

Joe Molotov

It's really frustrating not knowing which games work and which ones don't and having to go through random methods to get all of them loaded.

For anyone who's curious about it the Metal Slug Anthology plays very well on the Vita. The load times are marginal enough to be almost completely non-obtrusive (although there are still some weird hitches on the character select screen) and all of the games besides Metal Slug 2 seem to run very well. In MS2 there is some significant slow-down towards the end of the game but I think that's true to the original arcade version. It isn't enough to detract from the experience really, as MS2 was still my favorite game in the Anthology.

Graphics on the Vita screen look nice and crisp and all of the games look great when stretched to fit the screen.

The games control very well using the Vita analog stick which I found preferable to using the d-pad (because of the series' joystick roots).

It's a great purchase for the Vita because it gives you 7 (well, more like 4 or 5 I guess) fun arcade games on your system that are always available to you. I haven't played any of these games in any other form for more than 20 minutes or so though so you might want to take these opinions with a grain of salt.

Oh, and by the way, Metal Slug 4 and 6 are complete garbage.
Metal Slug 2 has a lot of slowdown for the Neo Geo Station version too. It is authentic, but just like the emulated glitches you can switch on/off for other NGS titles, I am surprised they didn't try to implement a slowdown toggle.

I'm not sure if The King of Fighters Collection shows up on the Vita download list or not (I'm not at home now), but I've verified that it also works. The frequent loading is still there, and I'm not sure how much quicker it is if at all, but it plays as gloriously as you might expect.

Oni Jazar

Should be a firmware update in April. Bringing some more compatibility to PSP games.

This is good news. Just a shame it's not sooner. Sony really needs to be on top of updating the system. I hope it's a significant update with PS1 support, improved PSP compatability, & Near fixes.

You're also from Europe, right? Maybe we need another section with PSP titles that only work in Europe.

The battery life comment in the op really needs to be ammended. Sure, if you're playing Uncharted at full brightness you may only get 4 hours but pretty much any other scenario increases upwards from there. Heck, play a PSP title and you could safely double that figure.
I haven't made any performance tests myself, but the CVG guy reported less than 4 hours and Digital Foundry mentioned:

"From several different playtests, four hours and 10 minutes turns out to be the average number for general gaming use with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled, and with brightness and sound levels each set to 50 per cent."

Farmboy12

Neo Member
Hopefully sony is planning to allow games like valkyrie chronicles to be purchased and downloaded through the vita, for those of us who dont own a PS3. Unless there is some other method to load it?

Darkone

God dammit with Stardust, i want to punch the screen after i survive 2 planets without getting killed and becuase i did not notice a shitty little astroid coming at me i get killed and lose all the multiplier, grrrrr.

AWESOME GAME.

krumble

Cant see pacman through content manager when i connect my vita to my ps3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom