• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita version of Salt and Sanctuary releasing on March 28th

BumRush

I'm buying this too later on today. Always interested in it but was waiting for the vita version.

My first Ska game was Charlie Murder and I was suprised at how much fun I had with it. The art style even grew on me after a while.

I actually think the artstyle is good on the Vita. It just looked so off on a massive screen for some reason.

BumRush

Good to hear. When I first saw screens of S&S it seemed like the art style might be more befitting of a Souls like game.

...and that was coming from someone who loved the game on PS4 but found the artstyle incredibly jarring at times.

Mutant

Salt and Sanctuary is up on the PSN store in the US but it's telling me that I have to buy it again even though I have the PS4 version.

bobawesome

Played like 9 hours of the game yesterday. I can't remember the last time a game has engrossed me like this. I feel ashamed of myself for refunding it on Steam so quickly a few months ago.

derFeef

Some of the text and icons are hard to read and the framerate can get a bit metty, but otherwise it's pretty awesome. Still feels amazing to unlock shortcuts, haha.
Also spear for life, every damn game.

Playing this game inspired me to check out the Souls games on PS Now. I was shocked to find DarkSouls3 costs $99 to rent for one week. Wtf!

pDqiCluh.jpg

(Ds3 not pictured, but it's in there)

derFeef

I started with the "Deprived" class and I am enjoying it very much this way.
The offerings though, can I get multiple of those for multiple Sanctuaries?

Opa-Pa

Damn, I've assumed for an entire year that Vita would have cross save support... Ouch.

I mean I was going to start a new game either way, but I'd have liked to go back and forth between Vita and PS4. Oh well.

Edit: Nice to see the EU issue got sorted out, I was fearing european players would have to wait an entire week. Awesome!

Maddrical

Oh shit, I fly to Japan tonight and this would be PERFECT for the flight as I never managed to finish the game on PS4. Hopefully I can download it tonight. Wouldn't happen to be cross-platform save would it?

EDIT: Guess not. Ah well. I loved that feature in Shovel Knight.

Mutant

Not sure what the framerate of this game is. Not quite 60 fps but doesn't feel like 30fps.

Also the text looks kinda muddy.

But boy is it good and fun. And holy shit, dark souls on the go!

Syril

Wow, this game is Harder than I thought it would be, and I beat Bloodborne and Dark souls 1.

Maybe because I'm playing a hunter with just a whip and a crossbow (which lacks a shield), that I'm having a harder time with some bosses. The alchemist kicked my ass for a while. And evendors the first boss took me a couple tries.

When I was playing I found focusing on the appropriate resistance for each boss was really helpful, and the zones tend to have armor sets hidden in them that stack a specific resistance.

I started with the "Deprived" class and I am enjoying it very much this way.
The offerings though, can I get multiple of those for multiple Sanctuaries?

Yeah, though some are more common than others.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is sub native resolution for some reason :/ looks kinda moody in small rooms and some text is hard to read. The game is 30fps and has some small dips in open areas, but I haven't experienced any while fighting bosses, for example.

I expected something better visually, but the game plays great on Vita. I was only checking it out last night but ended up playing past the first real boss haha. The game's just too good and I'll stick to the Vita version regardless.

Eusis

The game's definitely making me feel that the Vita's at the end of its life for good Indie support, but it's still great to be able to play on it anyway. And I haven't gotten far (owing to beating the game last year) but it's still fun!

derFeef

The game's definitely making me feel that the Vita's at the end of its life for good Indie support, but it's still great to be able to play on it anyway. And I haven't gotten far (owing to beating the game last year) but it's still fun!

I don't think that has anything to do with the Vita. The port seems a bit half-baked and surely cut some corners with resolution and assets.

heringer

Loving the shit out of this game. My only complain so far is that good armor is hard to come by. After 6 hours I got quite a few, but they are all inferior to my starter armor.

Its been nearly two days since this launched on the vita and I've already put in 21hours into the game, definitely scratches that Souls itch for the vita. Its also a pretty neat spin on the Souls genre, what with the platforming, dying leaves your salt on enemies, the skill system being vast and so customizable(slightly messy to look at though) and a bunch more stuff.

My complaints would be the artstyle is a bit hideous to look at times and performance can dip in certain areas but usually is quick and short but other than those tidbits, a pretty addictive souls inspired game.

BumRush

Loving the shit out of this game. My only complain so far is that good armor is hard to come by. After 6 hours I got quite a few, but they are all inferior to my starter armor.

Armor in this game is usually specific to certain stats (i.e. fire resistance). Leveling up various armors makes many battles / regions substantially easier.

SarusGray

So almost beat the game here's my sum up so far.

Game runs fine, some dips especially when I spam buffs.

Crashes can be sporadic and happen more often in certain locations, hopefully this gets fixed.

The only way to grab a stone sell sword which allows coop it seems is to get one as a starting item.

Playing this game on the go is absolutely amazing but some glaring issues definitely need to be patched such as the crashes that can range from happening occasionally to almost all the time and stopping out right.

No way for me to grab sell stone makes me miss out on a certain spell.

I'd give this port a 7/10. Would be an 8.5 if they fix those crashes and the swordstone/multiplayer issues.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
FWIW, I saw the devs tweet apologies about the crashes and the port devs are working on it, it seems.
https://twitter.com/Jamezila/status/847244168074190848
https://twitter.com/skastudios/status/847193824442974208

As for Yoshichan... People already dogpiled on him but yeah, it's complete nonsense.

- Says he followed the game development since day 1 but only after release does he have a problem with the art style? Uh-huh.
- Skill system is fantastic, encourages specialization and build diversity. Saying progressing through the tree "never felt like it did something" is so utterly, painfully wrong. You will be severely underpowered if you never use it.
- Combat is tight, precise, and perfectly responsive. "Jittery"? Whatever that means lol.
- Bosses are for the most part very impressive and quite the epic fights, and him claiming "this isn't subjective" is nothing short of risible, not to mention incredibly presumptuous.-

And most importantly, it's one thing to not like the game, but trying to prevent two hard-working indie devs from getting a sale is not only incredibly petty, it's just pathetic. Fortunately, it seems to have backfired really badly.
Tinfoil hat time: Yoshichan knows his reputation and is actually trying to get more sales to S&S through post backfire! xD j/k

I haven't played this game yet - but the art style prevented me from doing so. The overt copying of Dark Souls art direction combined with truly ugly cartoonish characters like something from an edgy 2006 flash game, I just found it to be in poor taste.
I can somewhat understand people not liking the cartoony character faces. What I can't understand is why someone would write off the entire game based on that, since:

- You can cover your character's face with a helmet for the entire game
- There are very few NPCs

So you literally almost never see those "ugly faces". You won't have to deal with them for 99% of the game. And you'd write off playing one of the best indies ever made because of this? Sounds petty as hell, but whatever. Especially since the environmental, enemy and boss art is pretty damn good.

Posting these responses to posts that have a negative opinion about a game always surprise me on NeoGAF. The guy has an opinion, and a well written one too. Not seeing the issue here.
Because his opinion is not only terrible, but poorly defended, and worse of all, he actually argues that he's objectively right. He deserves all that ridicule.

I mean, I myself have a lot of hate for many games that are very popular here on GAF, but it wouldn't occur to me to tell people to deny a few bucks from indie devs and tell everyone I'm objectively right about my tastes.

is this game Metroidvania or more like a 2d souls? Interested but not sure if buy. Maybe if it was crossbuy with PS4
It's really both. At its core it felt more like a Metroidvania, to be honest. The side-scrolling, platforming, and traversal-ability-unlocking aspects were very prominent, but it has Souls-like combat and similar RPG mechanics (though it has its own unique RPG mechanics too, like the skill tree and the creed system which is inspired by Dark Souls covenants but has its own take on the idea).

And if gamebreaking bugs appear, or when the game is horribly designed; let's completely avoid those fact. Wouldn't want to hurt their feelings, right?
Yes, if the game had gamebreaking bugs or was unplayable dogshit, them being indie wouldn't spare them. But this game isn't remotely like that. You want examples of shitty indies that deserve all the shit, look no further than Digital Homicide's games, and others like it, they are routinely featured at the Jimquisition episodes.

Salt & Sanctuary is a superb, polished, professional, wonderfully-crafted product. It just happens to not be to your particular taste. That's the difference.

Anything else you'd want to add to your bitter comment?
....You are calling other comments bitter? Really? xD

bobawesome

Finally managed to maneuver my way around all the crashes in that one area. I didn't realize I was so close to the end.

A pretty fantastic game overall. Not sure if I want to continue NG+ or start a playthrough on the PS4.

Aaaaaaand I reached the crash part in Hager's Cavern. I guess now I have to wait for the fix. :(

Crap I just got to the Sanctuary near there. I was enjoying myself too!

Does anyone else know when you can and can't roll through enemies? It hasn't seemed to be consistent so far, for me, and I can seem to make sense of it.
It seems to be an issue with trying to move Dark Souls-like combat to 2D.

I remember seeing criticisms, when this released on PS4 and PC, wishing that the game had a map, as it's far more difficult to navigate your way through a large sidescrolling world than it is in a top down 2D game (like Zelda) or a 3D game (like Dark Souls).
The world design ends up feeling like a Metroidvania, which usually feature their map (and filling their maps out) as a prominent gameplay element.

heringer

Crap I just got to the Sanctuary near there. I was enjoying myself too!

Does anyone else know when you can and can't roll through enemies? It hasn't seemed to be consistent so far, for me, and I can seem to make sense of it.
It seems to be an issue with trying to move Dark Souls-like combat to 2D.

I think it's an iframe thing. Just like you have a free damage window in Dark Souls, you also have a small window in your roll to go through enemies. I could be wrong though.

And still no news about the patch. We waited months for this version and now we have to wait even more. Ugh. :(

I think it's an iframe thing. Just like you have a free damage window in Dark Souls, you also have a small window in your roll to go through enemies. I could be wrong though.

Because it's side scrolling, but representing ideas from a 3D world, I figured that one should be able to roll past any enemy as long as the roll animation would not end with you sharing the same space as an enemy. Otherwise you'd roll into them, and end up still being on the same side, and vulnerable or something.

I mostly just guess as it.

OmegaZero

From my experience, the most consistent method of rolling though enemies is to make sure you are touching them before you roll, otherwise you'll roll against them and get smacked.

I'm enjoying this port but I think I'l hold off until they release the promised patch that fixes the crashes and adds the multiplayer aspects (bottles, boss chandeliers). I'm also assuming they'll patch out accessing the debug menu so I'd have fun with that while you can.

For those curious (and who don't mind ruining their playthrough), you can access the debug menu by holding the L button and the top left corner of the touchscreen than moving the right stick. While still holding L and the touchscreen, you can use the right stick to select options and change categories, then press the top right corner of the screen to activate them. You can do stuff like god mode, one punch fists, summoning any enemy or item, and more. Fun stuff for those who've beaten the game.

75hours in, constant crash at Salt Alkamency, usually at the stair case. The only place left for me to explore is that one. Guess Im gonna have to wait for the patch.

I got past the Hager's Cavern crash, and now I'm crashing 100% in Siam Lake as I leave the Sanctuary and climb down the ladder.

bobawesome

Yeah, it's a shame about all the crashes. I've pretty much dropped the game for now until they fix these issues. I could fight the boss in the cavern fairly consistently but I don't want the game to crash before I can save.

SarusGray

for those crashing, try disabling wifi, or powering off your vita. I was able to beat the game without any crashes (FINALLY). Very satisfying game.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I find it amusing (but also kind of awesome) that the "controls" menu is using a PCH-1000 image. I'm surprised this passed the Sony TRC!

SnsVita.jpg

Top Bottom