• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiller

So I've switched to a 32GB memory card that arrived in the mail. I backed up the old card and then restored using the new card. My data is there except for when I go to trophies all my trophies are gone. If I click on the PSN tab my trophies are on the server just fine but clicking sync with server doesn't transfer them back to the system. Any ideas?

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone else really enjoy Escape Plan? I'm pretty far in now and outside some control annoyances I really like it! The animation and music is totally charming and the puzzles are often kind of fun. Lots of funny expressions and deaths. Game is a nice surprise.

Eusis

So I've switched to a 32GB memory card that arrived in the mail. I backed up the old card and then restored using the new card. My data is there except for when I go to trophies all my trophies are gone. If I click on the PSN tab my trophies are on the server just fine but clicking sync with server doesn't transfer them back to the system. Any ideas?
Probably "working as intended". It's on the server, who cares if it's on the system at this point?

I got one and bought 150 space bucks to use at the store. Funny thing is I'm having a hell of a time deciding what to buy. I want to get something that's got a bit of meat to it, so I was thinking about PSP rpgs, specifically Persona 3. Never played a Persona game and haven't really played jrpgs since PSX. Is it ok to start the series with Persona 3 and is it really worth the 40 bucks being charged?

For reference, I loved rpgs like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, and though I played a Dragon Quest 9 and Final Fantasy VII I wouldn't rank them very high on my list of favorite gaming experiences.

Toki767

I got one and bought 150 space bucks to use at the store. Funny thing is I'm having a hell of a time deciding what to buy. I want to get something that's got a bit of meat to it, so I was thinking about PSP rpgs, specifically Persona 3. Never played a Persona game and haven't really played jrpgs since PSX. Is it ok to start the series with Persona 3 and is it really worth the 40 bucks being charged?

For reference, I loved rpgs like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, and though I played a Dragon Quest 9 and Final Fantasy VII I wouldn't rank them very high on my list of favorite gaming experiences.

I'd recommend Trails in the Sky. $20 and it's very worth it. Persona 3 is good too, but at $40 I think you should just wait for a sale, a price drop, or just wait for Persona 4 to come out on Vita.

SRTtoZ

Have you played the PSP Final Fantasy 4 collection? Its got a ton of content and its remade for PSP so it looks pretty damn good and will last you forever.

mandiller

In answer to my own question in case others have this problem, I need to start all the games that I earned trophies for and then they will appear again.

patsu

I think your Vita keeps up to 100 most recent trophies. All trophies will be on the server.

It's in the manual somewhere.

EDIT:
In answer to my own question in case others have this problem, I need to start all the games that I earned trophies for and then they will appear again.

Yeah, that's because you just made the games (and their trophies) more recent. So they ended up on Vita, instead of archived on the servers.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, since someone mentioned Daxter in the previous page...did Daxter assign camera controls to the d-pad? If you could map the camera to the right analog on vita, it would make the game much better.

Either Dissidia or Tactics Ogre will be on sale next week. That might be a wise time to pick those up because I think Squeenix rarely has sales. Same with either Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, or Parasite Eve if you can find a place to store the PSone classics

Oh I actually didn't consider that when I mentioned it. I have no clue though.

Oh I don't think its supported just yet. I remember seeing someone mentioning that.

I finally picked one up! It's an amazing system and I love it! I couldn't wait any longer. I'm glad I got one.

A few questions.

1. What's this blue light of death I keep reading about? How do I know I got it?

2. Is my blue PS light supposed to turn completely off when I'm in standby mode or is it supposed to blink off and on like the 3DS? When I press the power button once, it blinks several times and than it shuts off like as if I turned the system off. Is this normal?

3. How do you clear cookies and website data like history?

By the way, PSP games look awesome on this giant screen! Some of the 3D games do look pixelated but it looks great. 2D games look really good though.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm really loving the effing shit of Wipeout, but whoever said the framerate is a rock solid 30 fucking LIED!

whitehawk

Banned
Man, I just tried running Me and My Katamari on my PSP-1000 right next to the Vita Touch My Katamari demo. Oh man the screen on the PSP is bad. Crazy to think that back in 2005 it was the best portable screen on the market. Now it's a low-res piece of crap with bad black levels and tons of ghosting.

patsu

I finally picked one up! It's an amazing system and I love it! I couldn't wait any longer. I'm glad I got one.

A few questions.

1. What's this blue light of death I keep reading about? How do I know I got it?

Is there such a thing ? If your Vita froze, just press the power button for 20 seconds to reboot.

2. Is my blue PS light supposed to turn completely off when I'm in standby mode or is it supposed to blink off and on like the 3DS? When I press the power button once, it blinks several times and than it shuts off like as if I turned the system off. Is this normal?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35593046&postcount=14080

3. How do you clear cookies and website data like history?

Do it from the browser.

To clear cookie, tap on the "..." button at the lower right. Then select "Settings..."

To clear history, tap on "Bookmarks > History", then tap on "..." to find the "Clear History" option.

DBT85

Yes, Shuhei mentioned that the web browser will use less memory if a game (or another app ?) is running.

The note came from a ImpressWatch interview article:
http://andriasang.com/comz6e/vita_browser/

But it is also possible for Sony to drop the idea after more work. ^_^

To be clear, they never actually said that it might be changed there, just that they (impress watch) expect it to happen. That's assuming my google translate hasn't made a complete mess of it.

And I know the Shuhei quote from twitter the other day, it was my question about the browser being launched from twitter and I wrote an article on it at nearvita.com :p

Flickr is neat too, but I heard you can't upload multiple files at the same time.

Flickr is great and you can upload several images at once, you just can't select them all at once. You have to select each one individually and then hit upload.

Also it doesn't allow you to set a default "set" to upload to. All my Vita screens go in a Set called Vita screens. They ALWAYS should go there without me changing the setting every time :(

Is there such a thing ? If your Vita froze, just press the power button for 20 seconds to reboot.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35593046&postcount=14080

Do it from the browser.

To clear cookie, tap on the "..." button at the lower right. Then select "Settings..."

To clear history, tap on "Bookmarks > History", then tap on "..." to find the "Clear History" option.

Thanks.

But about the blue light, I just wanted to make sure that is it supposed to continually blink slowly when in standby mode or is it supposed to shut off completely?

Mine shuts off completely after it blinks when it enters standby mode.

spats

I was checking my download history for fun last night before going to bed and found out that I had a copy of Ape Quest sitting there, wtf. :D

I've never ever played it and I certainly don't remember paying for it. I have no idea how that's ended up there.

Is it possible that I downloaded the demo years and years ago, never played it and then Sony mixed up the files or something? They've been known to do that on more than a few occasions.

Anyway, it's a pretty damn fun game and looks pretty nice on the Vita.

Kerrby

Banned
I was checking my download history for fun last night before going to bed and found out that I had a copy of Ape Quest sitting there, wtf. :D

I've never ever played it and I certainly don't remember paying for it. I have no idea how that's ended up there.

Is it possible that I downloaded the demo years and years ago, never played it and then Sony mixed up the files or something? They've been known to do that on more than a few occasions.

Anyway, it's a pretty damn fun game and looks pretty nice on the Vita.

Is Ape Quest anything like Ape Escape or is it more like that awful, awful Ape Academy and it's sequels?

spats

Is Ape Quest anything like Ape Escape or is it more like that awful, awful Ape Academy and it's sequels?

It's a very lighthearted and funny turnbased rpg lite with monkeys in armor and stuff.

edit: Aha, Wikipedia has the answer.

It is downloadable as a free Starter Pack, with the remainder of the game available as three separate downloadable chapters for $9.99 each (Gold, Blue and Red), or as a bundle for $19.99.

kfpkiller

I just tried the vita yesterday for the first time, all I can say is wow!
Played fifa and virtua tennis, felt I had a ps3 in my hands, but then I tried Wipeout, the loadings and the framerate were so bad :(
Too bad there wasn't uncharted.
I so want to buy one right now but I know it'll be gathering dust in a few months like all my previous handhelds.
So hard to resist!!

patsu

To be clear, they never actually said that it might be changed there, just that they (impress watch) expect it to happen. That's assuming my google translate hasn't made a complete mess of it.

It's because Sony qualified their clarification. "*At launch*, the web browser and game cannot co-exist". The author does seem to expect a firmware update to make it happen. We shall see.

Flickr is great and you can upload several images at once, you just can't select them all at once. You have to select each one individually and then hit upload.

Also it doesn't allow you to set a default "set" to upload to. All my Vita screens go in a Set called Vita screens. They ALWAYS should go there without me changing the setting every time :(

That's better but still rather bare bone.

patsu

Thanks.

But about the blue light, I just wanted to make sure that is it supposed to continually blink slowly when in standby mode or is it supposed to shut off completely?

Mine shuts off completely after it blinks when it enters standby mode.

The blue light does shut off after a while on my Vita.

JUST ask I start to get ready to go get my Vita, somethings comes up and I can no longer afford it. I know it's just a game console but damn I was excited to get it. :( Have to wait until 26th of April now.

JUST ask I start to get ready to go get my Vita, somethings comes up and I can no longer afford it. I know it's just a game console but damn I was excited to get it. :( Have to wait until 26th of April now.

To be completely honest I can't afford one right now either, and I still went and ordered a Wi-Fi unit. I'm going to pay it in ten installments, though ( and I will end up losing about 20€ in the process ).

Listening to the latest Cheap Ass Gamer podcast

Man, tough to get through. Cheapy and crew sound like they're just living in a damn bubble

"blah blah, I don't want that experience on a handheld, I want it on a TV"

Well you know what? Maybe that just doesn't fit into some people's lifestyle and TV time is, you know, an luxary.

And then,

"I was at a random Target in Ohio and NO ONE was there for the launch!? loool!"

Um, this isn't 2000 anymore =/

Lé Blade Runner;35616099 said:
To be completely honest I can't afford one right now either, and I still went and ordered a Wi-Fi unit. I'm going to pay it in ten installments, though ( and I will end up losing about 20€ in the process ).

I'm a 20 year old Student, no one will give me credit around here.

Pratfall

Man, tough to get through. Cheapy and crew sound like they're just living in a damn bubble

Well you know what? Maybe that just doesn't fit into some people's lifestyle and TV time is, you know, an luxary.

And then,

I gave up on that podcast about 6 months back when I found I disagreed with most opinions they had about games and I was letting it bug me for no reason. It was too bad since I found some of their stuff funny.

DBT85

The vita really needs to get updated for flash player! Why was it not included in the first place?!

Adobe shut down it entire flash development process before vita was released.

In other news, my replacement Vita arrived from Amazon. Just backing up the key files and will try just swapping the memory card into the new one.

inner-G

Banned

And then,

Meh, I'd rather listen to a good show anyway.

SmokyDave

DF have put up an article on the memory cards. They found out that they're even slower than an SD card a quarter of the price.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-how-fast-are-vita-memory-cards

Seems like they're predominantly testing the read/write speeds of the USB interface.

It's odd that they mention the 360 using USB sticks rather than the PS3. Have they forgotten how the gen started or something?

I'm not surprised Sony went with expensive, proprietary memory for the Vita. They tried open standards with the PS3 and didn't really get rewarded for it. Might as well secure that extra revenue stream.

Seems like they're predominantly testing the read/write speeds of the USB interface.

It's odd that they mention the 360 using USB sticks rather than the PS3. Have they forgotten how the gen started or something?

I'm not surprised Sony went with expensive, proprietary memory for the Vita. They tried open standards with the PS3 and didn't really get rewarded for it. Might as well secure that extra revenue stream.

It's because the 360 can use USB sticks to store games whilst PS3 doesn't so it's not a valid comparison.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Thrustmaster VIP case finally shipped! And for a much lower price of £12.99 on Amazon, so hopefully thats just price matching and not indicative of quality. My portable system can finally be portable!

Now if only I could track down one of those PS Vita Wallets that were pre-order bonuses in the rest of the EU. Other than one insane ebay scalper, they're nowhere to be found...?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom