• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
The Hot Shots Golf demo is disappointing. Sub-Res resolution didn't bother me in Uncharted, but it's extremely noticeable in this game. If they had of made it native res, 60fps and a bit of AA, it would have been awesome. It's visuals aren't even that demanding, I don't know why they couldn't have pulled it off.

Is 60fps really needed for a golf game?, I really don't think it looks that bad tbh, the PS3 version didn't have AA and nor was it a graphical show piece.

Anyway gfx aside it's an amazingly fun game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is 60fps really needed for a golf game?, I really don't think it looks that bad tbh, the PS3 version didn't have AA and nor was it a graphical show piece.

Anyway gfx aside it's an amazingly fun game.

All games could use 60fps.
And you're right, PS3 version was pretty lax on the hardware as well, but that makes them seem especially lazy.

Still, fun game.

xclaw

How does PS+ work on Vita? The Motorstorm RC addon is supposed to be 1.25$ for + members but it's still showing as 2.99$.

naib

How does PS+ work on Vita? The Motorstorm RC addon is supposed to be 1.25$ for + members but it's still showing as 2.99$.
At one point I saw the banner for the + price on the PS3 store but when I browse to it it's not on sale. Haven't even tried on the Vita. I think its jacked up.

It's not actually RC pro am tracks is it? That would kick ass.

Xenon

I have been on the fence on picking up a vita since its launch. I will buy the system for LBP but it doesn't have a release date yet. So I really have a hard time with buying the system, now.

I'm 100% sold on the hardware and idea behind the system. The problem seems to be whether publishers are willing to spend the time and money needed to program games specifically for the system. Right now there seems to be a problem with scaling games from the PS3. Then you have the 3DS ports. Considering how badly the PS3 was handled by publishers with ports I can't see them putting more effort into the Vita.

Maybe after a few years when it has a more established base we'll start seeing more effort but its possible that the system may have a very lean road ahead, as far as getting software that truly is made for the system. Plus there is the over priced memory which will eventually drop in price. If Sony would have included 4GB to get me buy until then. So Im forced to buy something just to make the system usable.

The only other title Im interested in is Rayman but it's hardly worth the $350 price tag I'd have to pay.

I know that the tech junky in me will win out and prob buy the system. The problem is I know I'll end up regretting it =\

dallow_bg

nods at old men
At one point I saw the banner for the + price on the PS3 store but when I browse to it it's not on sale. Haven't even tried on the Vita. I think its jacked up.

It's not actually RC pro am tracks is it? That would kick ass.

It's like indoor skate park tracks, with some neat verticals.
I like it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
whitehawk said:
Sub-Res resolution didn't bother me in Uncharted, but it's extremely noticeable in this game.
The game runs with 4xMSAA - it's significantly cleaner then Uncharted when it comes to stuff like character rendering. The only-real problem with image-quality it has is basically complete absence of any mip-mapping, and throwing higher-resolution at that would have no effect (irony is that using mipmapping would not only improve visuals - it would be a net-performance gain on rendering, maybe enough to let them bump up the resolution... -_-)

It's visuals aren't even that demanding, I don't know why they couldn't have pulled it off.
Launch titles and all that - the shortcuts they take are pretty obvious if you know what to look for, and they aren't a sign of a long development time, or a mature development team. Besides, HotShots golf games never did much visually - the high of the series was HSG Fore, which actually did some neat tricks with PS2, before and after was all downhill.

frequency said:
Also, I can see the appeal of playing on real courses. Some of the HSG courses get to be really silly.
You should see the stuff they did in Pangya.
Anyway I thought HSG on PSP had some real courses at some point (there was a GPS enabled version that advertised something along the lines). I'd argue that if you actually enjoy the golf-gameplay, it's worth giving it a chance, it's certainly far better then TigerWoods games.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
They really should have PS+ memberships working properly by now. Surely they realise PS+ members own Vitas? Really inconvenient having to get the DLC on a ps3 just to copy a 100kb file over.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They really should have PS+ memberships working properly by now. Surely they realise PS+ members own Vitas? Really inconvenient having to get the DLC on a ps3 just to copy a 100kb file over.
Completely agree. I didn't bother transferring it over so I just re-downloaded it from the Vita store for free. It would've been nice if I didn't have to go through my PS3 to get the discounts though.

whitehawk

Banned
I have been on the fence on picking up a vita since its launch. I will buy the system for LBP but it doesn't have a release date yet. So I really have a hard time with buying the system, now.

I'm 100% sold on the hardware and idea behind the system. The problem seems to be whether publishers are willing to spend the time and money needed to program games specifically for the system. Right now there seems to be a problem with scaling games from the PS3. Then you have the 3DS ports. Considering how badly the PS3 was handled by publishers with ports I can't see them putting more effort into the Vita.

Maybe after a few years when it has a more established base we'll start seeing more effort but its possible that the system may have a very lean road ahead, as far as getting software that truly is made for the system. Plus there is the over priced memory which will eventually drop in price. If Sony would have included 4GB to get me buy until then. So Im forced to buy something just to make the system usable.

The only other title Im interested in is Rayman but it's hardly worth the $350 price tag I'd have to pay.

I know that the tech junky in me will win out and prob buy the system. The problem is I know I'll end up regretting it =\
Here's the way I look at it.

I knew I was going to end up buying a Vita at some point. If I didn't buy it now, it would be in a few months, a year or a few years. If I waited, the price drop (if there was one) wouldn't be that big of a deal. The PSP was $199 US when it launched, and now it's going for $159 on Amazon.com. $40 is nothing. I would rather pay a bit of extra cash now and enjoy the system earlier, than wait a long time. There were enough games to interest me (Uncharted by itself was probably the game that made me buy it) so I figured why not.

The 3DS was a rare case where waiting for a price drop really did pay off. It dropped $80 in just a few months. But I don't see that happening with the Vita anytime soon.

Gustav

Banned
Here's the way I look at it.

I knew I was going to end up buying a Vita at some point. If I didn't buy it now, it would be in a few months, a year or a few years. If I waited, the price drop (if there was one) wouldn't be that big of a deal. The PSP was $199 US when it launched, and now it's going for $159 on Amazon.com. $40 is nothing. I would rather pay a bit of extra cash now and enjoy the system earlier, than wait a long time. There were enough games to interest me (Uncharted by itself was probably the game that made me buy it) so I figured why not.

The 3DS was a rare case where waiting for a price drop really did pay off. It dropped $80 in just a few months. But I don't see that happening with the Vita anytime soon.

PSP was $250.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
but it also came with a 'big enough' memory card for saves. And Spider Man 2!

Probably my most watched movie ever.

It came with a 32 MB memory card. I am pretty sure everyone threw that card away. lol. Also, 250 in 2005 is worth quite a bit more than 250 now.

People are actually better off buying the wifi vita today, plus a 4gig memory stick for 20 bucks. At least with a 4gb stick, you can save all you want till the end of the system's life, and still put in a few psn games or a few hours of music.

Apath

Completely agree. I didn't bother transferring it over so I just re-downloaded it from the Vita store for free. It would've been nice if I didn't have to go through my PS3 to get the discounts though.
Just connect to your PS3 through remote play. :D

And WTF was that Ridge Racer demo? Should have been skeptical when I saw it was 70mb -_-

Durante

The Hot Shots Golf demo is disappointing. Sub-Res resolution didn't bother me in Uncharted, but it's extremely noticeable in this game. If they had of made it native res, 60fps and a bit of AA, it would have been awesome. It's visuals aren't even that demanding, I don't know why they couldn't have pulled it off.
HSG has 4xMSAA. The problem is that the texture filtering sucks a lot (it looks like they're not using mipmaps). That's not even a performance issue, it's more just some Japanese developers being insane.

Edit: I see Fafalada already covered this.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I never knew HSG on the Vita had 4xmsaa, how do guys know this?, I'm not doubting you it's just I'm wondering where you acquire this information?

Did the HSG:OOB on the PS3 have any type of AA?

Durante

I never knew HSG on the Vita had 4xmsaa, how do guys know this?, I'm not doubting you it's just I'm wondering where you acquire this information?
Looking at it. It's a blessing and a curse.

Did the HSG:OOB on the PS3 have any type of AA?
hsg_noaa.png

No.

datamage

Easy sell for a buck 25. I'll grab it for sure.

I almost think i'd rather have paid $5 not to have the Scion branding. But I'll get over it. :)

I feel the same way. In fact, are they going to remove the branding once the game is no longer free? Yeah, I'd pay to have that junk taken out...

hsg is way better than tiger woods. doesn't have real courses or golfers, but just trust me and everyone else who has ever seriously played both

I disagree that HSG is better than TW. I always see NeoGAF gushing over HSG but I think it's more due to the general populace here leaning towards more Japanese-styled games. I can't stand the stupid little yelps and grunts and voices that are littered throughout HSG games. The gameplay is good but why does my golf game need young girl avatars and voices everywhere?

Give me TW over HSG any day of the week, the re-creation of the actual golf game is similar in both.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
Yea IIRC PS3 version fell into the "we must have HDR" hole and went with FP16, killing their chances of AA. And it had the same nonsense with almost no mipmaps, increasing the aliasing to n-th degree.
IMO the series has been stagnating visually since HSG:Fore on PS2, the way they deal with self-shadowing(and lack of AA on PS3) really ruins the increase in character detail, and hardly anything else changed.

lowrider007 said:
What Durante said already. But just in regards to relative Uncharted and HSG comparison(regardless of what happens under the hood):
Observe edges of Drake's face, cheek, forehead, neck.
AmXVnzkCMAEFCAn.jpg:large

fdYXS.jpg

And compare that to Yuna's.

Log4Girlz

Yea IIRC PS3 version fell into the "we must have HDR" hole and went with FP16, killing their chances of AA. And it had the same nonsense with almost no mipmaps, increasing the aliasing to n-th degree.
IMO the series has been stagnating visually since HSG:Fore on PS2, the way they deal with self-shadowing(and lack of AA on PS3) really ruins the increase in character detail, and hardly anything else changed.

What Durante said already. But just in regards to relative Uncharted and HSG comparison(regardless of what happens under the hood):

And compare that to Yuna's.

It looks like he can saw through the dense jungle by using his body.

frostbyte

https://p.twimg.com/AmXVnzkCMAEFCAn.jpg:large[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fdYXS.jpg[IMG]
And compare that to Yuna's.[/QUOTE]

Wow, those jaggies are pretty obvious. I'm guessing once shrunken down on the Vita's screen, it looks beautiful right?

and also, what Vita games currently use the back touchpad meaningfully?

I know about Katamari Damacy and Little Deviants but what else?

spats

Uncharted looks amazing on the Vita screen, start to finish. I feel like the screenshot function is doing more harm than good, no wonder devs can opt out of using it.

bunbun777

Wow, those jaggies are pretty obvious. I'm guessing once shrunken down on the Vita's screen, it looks beautiful right?

and also, what Vita games currently use the back touchpad meaningfully?

I know about Katamari Damacy and Little Deviants but what else?

I find myself using it to see elevation of the green in HSG - you can drag your finger across the surface for various locations. Also can be used to pick up your character and reposition right or left on the tee.

Massa

Uncharted has some really unbelievable moments. To think this is Bend's first "next-gen" game and a launch game as well has me salivating for the future.

I just hope their next game is either not Uncharted or they get someone else to write it. :-/

Twinduct

So pulled the trigger and got Unit 13 (Retail), Dynasty Warrior Next (Retail) and Blazblu (Digital).

Crazy to have so many games in the launch period tbh. I usually end up with one or two games at most :<

Synless

Uncharted looks amazing on the Vita screen, start to finish. I feel like the screenshot function is doing more harm than good, no wonder devs can opt out of using it.

I agree that it looks great, but you can tell its not running at full res. it becomes especially apparent after playing UMvC3 or Wipeout. I think the screenshots are very accurate to what I'm looking at on the Vita.

Cornbread78

Just got Dungeon Hunter at GS, and D/L FF Tactics from PSN, since I never did get a PSP. Dungeon Hunter really is a loot whore game, and I'm having some fun with it so far. I'm really looking forward to see what they can do with the system, especially with PS3 integration.

Two games I have a question on:

The Show 12 or Unit 13 for my next, I love shooters and sports.... Which way should I go here?

snap0212

Just got Dungeon Hunter at GS, and D/L FF Tactics from PSN, since I never did get a PSP. Dungeon Hunter really is a loot whore game, and I'm having some fun with it so far.
I kind of want to play this game but I just can't bring myself to spend that amount of money on an iPhone game that was way cheaper on every other platform. It seems like they only charge so much for the game because they can and not because it's actually worth the money or because they have to to recoup the costs. :/ I'll probably pick it up used at some point in the future.

kerrak

I agree that it looks great, but you can tell its not running at full res. it becomes especially apparent after playing UMvC3 or Wipeout. I think the screenshots are very accurate to what I'm looking at on the Vita.

Take a screenshot, switch to the photo app, watch the photo then switch back to the app. Even in the same oled they don't look the same. There is compression in the capture process. On top of that, if you look it in a screen with less pixel density, the flaws become more apparent, because you're watching an artificially bigger image.

I kind of want to play this game but I just can't bring myself to spend that amount of money on an iPhone game that was way cheaper on every other platform. It seems like they only charge so much for the game because they can and not because it's actually worth the money or because they have to to recoup the costs. :/ I'll probably pick it up used at some point in the future.

If you've ever paid attention to Amazon warehouse deals I've seen some pop up for like $22. It's worth it for that price if you've never played it before. Especially if you can play online with friend(s). Despite long load times and some slow down the games deep, controls well, has clean graphics and is suprisingly really long. And online works extremely well. Especially with party chat.

Corto

Uncharted has some really unbelievable moments. To think this is Bend's first "next-gen" game and a launch game as well has me salivating for the future.

I just hope their next game is either not Uncharted or they get someone else to write it. :-/

Absolutely agree with everything you posted. The game is indeed an achievement but Bend deserves to develop something of their own though. Give them leeway. They already prove themselves.

On another note I was daydreaming yesterday of an inFAMOUS spin-off for the Vita. And it was glorious!

Cornbread78

I've really only played RPG's (especially turn based/strategy) on handheld systems before, so getting anything else would be kinda awkward lol, despite that, I'm still looking to see if Unit 13 and/or The Show 12 are worth it.

I already put money down on Disgaea 3, but really looking forward to FF10; I'm not sure why GS dows not have FF10 on their pre-order list yet though....

Absolutely agree with everything you posted. The game is indeed an achievement but Bend deserves to develop something of their own though. Give them leeway. They already prove themselves.

On another note I was daydreaming yesterday of an inFAMOUS spin-off for the Vita. And it was glorious!

Perhaps a Syphon Filter reboot? And an inFAMOUS spin-off would be awesome.

But the thing I keep dreaming about but know will never have is a Mass Effect HD (LOL) Collection on the Vita, like Kojima is doing for MGS. I'd do anything to have the 3 Mass Effect games with me at all times...

...well, almost anything. :p

Synless

Take a screenshot, switch to the photo app, watch the photo then switch back to the app. Even in the same oled they don't look the same. There is compression in the capture process. On top of that, if you look it in a screen with less pixel density, the flaws become more apparent, because you're watching an artificially bigger image.

I understand that, but my point still stands. Uncharted is noticeably lower res regardless if I'm playing it or looking at a screenshot. The pics are not entirely inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom