• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR Aim Controller -- Designed for PS4 shooters, 1:1 precision, no PSMove required.

goonergaz

I have 2 moves and a nav - 2 gun attachment thingys but this looks kinda spot on for FPS type games...guess I will have to get one if they come out over in the UK

gmoran

I don't think there is enough imagination going on in this thread.

Once you are in VR you will have a really accurate (this is why its a new controller and not the sharpshooter gizmo) 1 to 1 mapped gun in VR able to support a variety of locomotion techniques. It could allow an online VR Battlefield, COD or L4D style game, slower paced of course to be more realistic and more comfortable, but even so.

This, for me, is the best thing at E3 this year. Watch the trailer again and the few gameplay videos we have and watch how the gun moves and what this might be like to play.

Can't wait.

gmoran

From Stuff:

If you’re wondering whether this is essentially a plastic frame for the PlayStation Move controllers - it isn’t. This is a bespoke accessory that repositions all of the necessary buttons to recreate a gun-like experience while also allowing you to move in and interact with the virtual world by placing the two analogue sticks and a couple of buttons under your thumbs. It’s a really ergonomic and intuitive bit of kit.

In the game itself you appear to play the part of an astronaut investigating the disappearance of your space-faring colleagues across the caves, deserts and cliffs of a mysterious planet infested with arachnid-like aliens, some of which have the irritating habit of lobbing acid at you.

Using the Aim Controller as your weapon is superb, making the whole experience fantastically immersive and accurate - you can even bring the weapon up to your eyeliner to line-up your shots using the holographic site. And what's also interesting is that it appears to have a grounding effect that prevents the motion issues that many other first-person VR games suffer from.

Here’s hoping the extra controller isn’t too pricey, because this is a game that everyone should experience.

Read more at http://www.stuff.tv/features/best-playstation-vr-games#Ym3U5JL7AsF39VrZ.99

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ah right, didn't know what you meant. i assume a 180 view point with an about face turn button would be the easiest.

I'm not sure it's gonna work as nicely as you'd hope.

For example, say the camera is at north, and you are facing north. You have 180° of tracking area in front of you. You can turn 90° left or right no problem. A "turn around" button would allow you to virtually turn around while still facing north, preserving the 180° tracking area in front of you.

Good.

But say at some point you are facing east. Now the guntroller is tracked correctly but only as long as you don't turn clockwise. Which is a problem. A "turn around" button wouldn't fix it. You'd still be unable to turn clockwise.

Another issue I have with this system is that you move in the direction your gun is pointing. This forces you to always keep the gun up (resting your arms not an option while moving) and to stop while shooting to prevent unintentional locomotions.

Not saying this system sucks, mind you. I'm just not sure this allows COD/BF/Whatever to suddenly be playable as is in VR.

baphomet

I just tried this thing out in Farpoint. It works very well for what it is. Of course the game is an entirely front facing experience, but it tracks super well.

As someone who has an Oculus Rift, I can say with certainty that resolution on the PSVR is noticeably worse. Still looking forward to getting one this October though.

I appreciate what the Far Point team is trying to do but will any other games use this thing? Thats my only concern about this. At least with the Sharpshooter I was able to use it with House of the Dead Overkill, Resistance 3, and the Resident Evil Chronicles games among others.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sony is really hyping Farpoint + PSVR + Aim Controller up.

The game actually has real FPS traversal and not on-rails as I initially presumed. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUqbTk880YI

It's the second big entry poster at E3:

Ck7P39sUkAAKYRg.jpg

God damn that is siiiick. Do we have a release date? I'm so hyped for this!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No release date yet. I'd guess it's a 2017 game.

damnit :(. I know they said 50 titles by years end, but I'm hoping for some actual full titles such as this one. I know GT Sport is a full title, rigs, and a handful here and there, but any other fully fledged releases confirmed?

W1SSY

It looks like an early prototype but it doesn't matter how it looks as long as it works well. Something like this could be huge for FPS in VR. This would work much better than having a shell that you place the move controller in and place a navigation controller. With this they have had the ability to place the buttons where they make the most sense. I have to imagine that Sony has been letting other developers work with the accessory and hopefully it is implemented in other games.

I'm just going to duct tape the move to my dyson vacuum handle, not only is it smaller but it's more ergonomic lol and it doubles as a vacuum handle.

baphomet

One of the worst looking controllers, I think I've ever seen.

Except it doesn't matter how it looks. It's going to look however developers want to make it look in game. It's there so they know exactly where your hands, and by extension, arms will be. It does amazing amounts for immersion to see what feel like your arms holding a giant gun in game.

ElCidTmax

Looks like it will be an effective controller. Also, I have move controllers but no nav controllers, and now I know I never will need nav controllers.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's hilarious when people call VR controllers ugly. Presumably they film themselves playing or get someone to rate them on their appearance during play.

8byte

Banned
Going through this thread I'm always impressed and stunned at the people who are developmentally stunted.

Grow up.

That said, looks like a blast, but it's still a bit steep on entry point for me, all required hardware considered. Would love one eventually.

MattAces

I'm waiting for reviews for Farpoint. Think I'll miss my chance to get this if I don't pre-order?

If you are out of the loop, there's a total of 5 announced game supporting this controller. Let's say Farpoint ended up being mediocre in story, you still get to shoot aliens with a really cool peripheral, or just move on and play the other 4. We already know Arizona Sunshine is pretty good.

Wonko_C

I want a new Lethal Enforcers for this thing! It's not true reloading if you don't have to shoot offscreen, or in this case offview. :p

If you are out of the loop, there's a total of 5 announced game supporting this controller. Let's say Farpoint ended up being mediocre in story, you still get to shoot aliens with a really cool peripheral, or just move on and play the other 4. We already know Arizona Sunshine is pretty good.

I'm hoping we get a lightgun resurgence, all the Virtua Cop and House of the Dead games would be great.

That has got to be the ugliest gun I ever saw in my life.

hqdefault.jpg

Seriously, how is it possible to make a gun NOT look cool.

I know there's all this paranoia about kids going outside and being shot with toy guns and such, but c'mon, this look like a PVC drain pipe with a clown nose. The sharpshooter version one at least had a shape akin to a real gun... This is just embarassing.

Even the super scope looked cooler

Z0055414.jpg

Wish we lived in a era where we could still get stuff like this.

Ehker

I know there's all this paranoia about kids going outside and being shot with toy guns and such, but c'mon, this look like a PVC drain with a clown nose. The sharpshooter version one at least had a shape akin to a real gun... This is just embarassing.
Worried how a video game gun looks seems extra silly for a VR peripheral.

I actually really like how light and simple this gun looks. Preordered this with the farpoint bundle a couple months ago. Not much long to wait now.

I know there's all this paranoia about kids going outside and being shot with toy guns and such, but c'mon, this look like a PVC drain with a clown nose. The sharpshooter version one at least had a shape akin to a real gun... This is just embarassing.

http://www.museumofplay.org/online-collections/images/Z005/Z00554/Z0055414.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]

It's looks silly cause it's more to do with function than form.

P.S. I just realized that it costs $20 more to get the bundle, with game along with the controller. I may just cancel my Amazon order and get it from EB Games since the game alone is $50+.

Tagyhag

Interesting, I didn't know it wasn't a Move controller. I wonder how they achieved 1:1 while still using light tech.

Worried how a video game gun looks seems extra silly for a VR peripheral.

Yep, as silly as worrying about how ugly the headset is.

Trust me, people look stupid in VR no matter how the headset looks lol.

MattAces

I know there's all this paranoia about kids going outside and being shot with toy guns and such, but c'mon, this look like a PVC drain pipe with a clown nose. The sharpshooter version one at least had a shape akin to a real gun... This is just embarassing.

I felt that they made it as simple as possible so that developers can translate it into their games easier. Games like Dick Wilde and Farpoint has a significant different graphic style and both of their interpretation of the gun in game are very distinct.

Top Bottom