• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR Aim Controller -- Designed for PS4 shooters, 1:1 precision, no PSMove required.

Is this a preview, review or just a hands on from public demo? Seems like you've played the consumer version but isn't it still under embargo?

the embargo for this lifted 2 days ago. Its' not a review.

Ask me questions if you have any. Its a handson with the game.

No one likes a snitch!

Mods need to walk in the thread like pew pew pew

OkAzkTk.gif

Jokes aside, thread is okay. Can't stop folks catching feelings.

MattAces

the embargo for this lifted 2 days ago. Its' not a review.

Ask me questions if you have any. Its a handson with the game.

The general hands on preview articles are very positive so far, did you get a preview/review copy for this or did Sony had a press hands on session for these articles?

The general hands on preview articles are very positive so far, did you get a preview/review copy for this or did Sony had a press hands on session for these articles?

Sony did a hands on session for this.

Yeah the game played very well and they didnt show too much - but I had a blast in the co-op mode. Being able to shoot down the sight on the aim controller and the general VRness of the game made for a good time.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well exactly. Why not embrace the fact that it is butt ugly just like the Gamecube?
Well, what exactly is the arguement? Have anyone argued that it looks amazing? How it looks is subjective anyway. I also dont think that the Gamecube looks butt ugly. The handle might look alittle silly, but i wouldnt describe the console as butt ugly.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well, what exactly is the arguement? Have anyone argued that it looks amazing? How it looks is subjective anyway. I also dont think that the Gamecube looks but ugly. The handle might look alittle silly, but i would describe the console as butt ugly.

If its subjective, there's no need to get defensive over people commenting that they think it looks ugly. Just get over it

test_account

XP-39C²
If its subjective, there's no need to get defensive over people commenting that they think it looks ugly. Just get over it
I agree, let people think its ugly if they think that, that is fair enough. I also think its fair enough to argue that the look doesnt really matter in this case, especially when you're not looking at the item while playing. Focusing on the positive rather than the negative.

That fair enough, just like i think its fair enough to argue that the look doesnt really matter in this case, especially when you're not looking at the item while playing. Focusing on the positive rather than the negative.

It doesn't stop existing when not in use. Its still there it is going to be in your home, like others said you can hide it if you find it that bad but it would be nice not to, especially as I actually use PSVR regularly. I'm going to wait on E3 and user impressions before deciding to buy one or not, if the impressions are very good and upcoming content that is compelling enough for me to forgo my dislike of the aesthetics then I will pick it up. If it was to my tastes I would have got one on Tuesday.

I just have a bad feeling that tells me this accessory won't see widespread support in the future, just like Guitar Hero guitars. And with Farpoint being a 5 (?) hour game, I cannot fully justify the 100€ pricetag :(

test_account

XP-39C²
It doesn't stop existing when not in use. Its still there it is going to be in your home, like others said you can hide it if you find it that bad but it would be nice not to, especially as I actually use PSVR regularly. I'm going to wait on E3 and user impressions before deciding to buy one or not, if the impressions are very good and upcoming content that is compelling enough for me to forgo my dislike of the aesthetics then I will pick it up. If it was to my tastes I would have got one on Tuesday.
Thats true. Cant blame people for not liking the looks of it, thats subjective, not arguing about that at all just to point that out. Its more about that not much can be done about it. Its designed like that with a purpose, so its unlikely to change. So hopefully the functionality of it is good at least.

geordiemp

Jut like the move and wii controllers, I just cant see this being absolute accurate like the old light guns and it will be relative based on gyro / calibration.

I will be more than happy to be proved wrong

MattAces

I just have a bad feeling that tells me this accessory won't see widespread support in the future, just like Guitar Hero guitars. And with Farpoint being a 5 (?) hour game, I cannot fully justify the 100€ pricetag :(

If Sony sees this, the entire marketing department might get fired.
There's 5 confirmed games at launch window, one or two more Sony in house development are using it. Also it's not 100€, so you don't have to justify anything.

Tagyhag

What happened to this thread, seriously. Should I call a mod?

While I also think that it's dumb to hate on the appearance of a peripheral that you'll be using in VR, just because people aren't positive with a Sony product doesn't mean that they should be banned.

Sony and Sony products can be criticized in this forum.

Wrote about my handson with Farpoint - played on the PS4 pro

the controller feels really good and there's online co-op in what was a horde mode; very very fun.

re: controller. It feels really good in the hand and you can't see it when you have the headset on so I don't get why people are complaining about it as much as they have here.

So is the tracking better than the PS Move?

While I also think that it's dumb to hate on the appearance of a peripheral that you'll be using in VR, just because people aren't positive with a Sony product doesn't mean that they should be banned.

Sony and Sony products can be criticized in this forum.

So is the tracking better than the PS Move?

Yeah it Seems to be very accurate with its tracking. I was able to look into the cross hairs on the sniper gun and shoot down critters in the distance. That was the wow moment for me.

For people concerned about the length (5 hours) - I think you'll be playing co-op mode a bit becuase its a blast.

MattAces

Yeah it Seems to be very accurate with its tracking. I was able to look into the cross hairs on the sniper gun and shoot down critters in the distance. That was the wow moment for me.

For people concerned about the length (5 hours) - I think you'll be playing co-op mode a bit becuase its a blast.

Did you get your review copy yet?
Or are you supposed to be getting one? The main concern of most people are length, personally I'm fine with it but it's good to have an actual play time as a fact for people who are worried about it.

We need a Time Crisis re-boot with this gun. Screw movement, on-rails shooters would suit this thing. All you'd need to worry about was ducking and shooting!

RoyalFool

Banned
Grabbed mine a few days early and spent the morning with it.

Really like it

initial impressions..

Surprised by how many buttons etc it actually has, it's a complete controller replacement and isn't just a trigger and a stick.

It works perfectly if you're left handed.

It looks like a plumbing utensil but in-game it makes sense, as it's easier to project different kinds of weapons onto it when it's so tactility bland.

Accuracy wise, it really doesn't feel like it's any more accurate than the current wands, by nature of it being two handed it's less shaky but there doesn't appear to be any special-sauce here which curtails the current outside-in tracking limitations. It feels slightly less accurate than the old Namco light guns of old, but not enough to hamper game-play.

As for the game?

like most VR games, it's nothing special - but the immersion is pretty incredible, I swear my heart was racing as some of the larger aliens were stomping towards me. The co-op mode is absolutely worth the cost, I can see co-op VR gaming becoming the norm as the sense of co-presense (I might just have made that word up) raises VR up a notch further. Looks incredible on the pro, I guess my main complaint would be the game-play is very old school shooter; but given we don't get many of them anymore I can imagine that's not going to be a negative for some folk. A lot of the time you are just dodging projectiles and shooting while you slowly get from A to B. Co-op mode has the 'each take a route' thing going which I love, where one player has to cover the other.

In all pretty pleased with the entry price for the game and device, but would want to see a couple of other good titles using it before I could recommend it to someone without much disposable income.

MattAces

Grabbed mine a few days early and spent the morning with it.

Really like it

initial impressions..

Surprised by how many buttons etc it actually has, it's a complete controller replacement and isn't just a trigger and a stick.

It looks like a plumbing utensil but in-game it makes sense, as it's easier to project different kinds of weapons onto it when it's so tactility bland.

Accuracy wise, it really doesn't feel like it's any more accurate than the current wands, by nature of it being two handed it's less shaky but there doesn't appear to be any special-sauce here which curtails the current outside-in tracking limitations. It feels slightly less accurate than the old Namco light guns of old, but not enough to hamper game-play.

As for the game?

like most VR games, it's nothing special - but the immersion is pretty incredible, I swear my heart was racing as some of the larger aliens were stomping towards me. The co-op mode is absolutely worth the cost, I can see co-op VR gaming becoming the norm as the sense of co-presense (I might just have made that word up) raises VR up a notch further. Looks incredible on the pro, I guess my main complaint would be the game-play is very old school shooter; but given we don't get many of them anymore I can imagine that's not going to be a negative for some folk. A lot of the time you are just dodging projectiles and shooting while you slowly get from A to B. Co-op mode has the 'each take a route' thing going which I love, where one player has to cover the other.

In all pretty pleased with the entry price for the game and device, but would want to see a couple of other good titles using it before I could recommend it to someone without much disposable income.
Co-op sounds promising, I was expecting like a single map/arena horde mode style. Does the co-op have a random match making? Or were you playing with a friend?

ChouGoku

On my lord I cant wait, 2 more days. I feel like peripherals will make a big comeback in VR, the simple move controllers are amazing, just seeing your hands match what you're doing in real life makes it even more immersive

FingerBang

Looks like this isn't available in Japan til June 22, dang.

Looks like it's sold out everywhere but scalpers, even though I was able to pre-order one yesterday on Joshin Web for it's retail price (9600¥). But you can get a bunch of them from
the various "AiRabuWaifu85" at 12000¥ or more over the internet.

I put COD just in case I can find a better price on Amazon in case of a restock.

How's the PSVR situation in Japan now? Is there adequate stock yet?

Nope, still impossible to find at retail price. The scalpers price went down to "just" 10000¥ more than the retail price now, but it's still ridiculous that people can't buy one without paying more. The demand here is huge, but who knows WTF Sony is doing. Who knows why they don't do anything to stop scalpers or allow people to just preorder instead of stupidly playing the who-clicks-first game or the who-s-free-enough-to-stand-in-line-all-night-or-pay-someone-to-do-it-for-him one.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
re: controller. It feels really good in the hand and you can't see it when you have the headset on so I don't get why people are complaining about it as much as they have here.

I can't see the exterior of my car when I drive it. Doesn't mean I'm happy to drive something ugly.

initial impressions..

Thanks. Just what I wanted to know.

Been playing with my Oculus Touch controllers lately and haven't used the Move controllers on PS4 for a while (mostly played "controller VR" experiences on the PS4). Interested to see how this holds up.

Top Bottom