• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Is there any way to see if a disc is too scratched to play correctly without having to play through the entire game? Maybe an app to check the disc on my PC?

Sometimes there's audio/video skips or loading issues that don't manifest until later on in the game and it can be quite frustrating.

I guess you can use a ripping software, that will fail if it can't get the checksum at the end right due to reading errors. But the thing is a modern PC disc drive is likely to be miles better than PS2's and be able to read some quite bad discs. Especially since it will try multiple times to read, while a console playing a CGI sequence or whatever will just freeze up.

televator

DF Retro: Ridge Racer Type 4 and V
riiiiidgeracer.jpg

televator

R4 is still suck a great looking title. I still bust out my NeGcon from time to time and go to town.

I love hearing about clever solutions that some devs come up with to mitigate hardware restrictions. I really like this analysis especially because it also talks about the less technically demanding yet greatly impactful effects of color and PQ quality. IMO, lack of dithering and good bit depth really helps make a game stand the test of time, since you can hook it up to a modern TV and get a lot less artifacts.

Got this curious lil game I had no idea existed from Konami.

Gungage

Horrible tank controls/Third person camera that fights you the entire time during fights (better hope the games sporadic lock-on saves your ass) but the music by Michiru Yamane alone motivated me to shovel through the trash. This game has aesthetics and music going for it but I cannot recommend actually playing it.

Listen to this:
Weatherbeaten Town
Brilliant Green
Vitrification Fire

Parts sound straight from a CV game along with other tracks.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Got this curious lil game I had no idea existed from Konami.

Gungage

Horrible tank controls/Third person camera that fights you the entire time during fights (better hope the games sporadic lock-on saves your ass) but the music by Michiru Yamane alone motivated me to shovel through the trash. This game has aesthetics and music going for it but I cannot recommend actually playing it.

Listen to this:
Weatherbeaten Town
Brilliant Green
Vitrification Fire

Parts sound straight from a CV game along with other tracks.

I thought this game had Dualshock support that used both analog sticks... I could be misremembering, of course.

In any case, the soundtrack is killer. I love it.

Apparently it does I just looked into on the web. Couldnt enable it via menus in the time I played it nor did it automatically set it self but now I'll give it a try and get back to you. Dualshock support would do wonders for this for sure.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ I guess it came out in PAL too.

Never heard of it. I'm always discovering obscure games from Konami that I've never heard of :p

alf717

I'm really in the mood for some Parasite Eve. I remember getting to the Chrysler Building but never made it all the way up.

D.Lo

^ I guess it came out in PAL too.

Never heard of it. I'm always discovering obscure games from Konami that I've never heard of :p
Yeah it came out in PAL. I bought pretty much every Konami game back then. Even Diver's Dream. Ronin Blade was an awesome RE clone too.

They also published some cool otherwise Japan only games by other devs, like Hellnight and Trap Gunner (as Trap Runner).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Digital Foundry covers the PS1 port of MDK in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LbIJdGNQfA

I played through MDK PS1 on CFW PSP and I recall it being a decent experience. It was a huge step down from the graphical fidelity of the MDK2 Dreamcast game I'd played prior but it had every bit as much a unique atmosphere.

Been a long time since I've popped into this thread (or GAF in general) but I've been living in Japan for two months and have been SO tempted by at least three copies of Moon: Remix RPG Adventure. I need that translation patch STAT!

Sub_Level

PS2 Texture Smoothing for PS1 games: Is it good to turn it on or leave it off?

I tried it with Dino Crisis and it seemed to make a great difference. But then I used it on Parasite Eve and it made no difference whatsoever. I know it's pre rendered backgrounds but I assumed the character models would look smoother. Nope.

I tried it with Dino Crisis and it seemed to make a great difference. But then I used it on Parasite Eve and it made no difference whatsoever. I know it's pre rendered backgrounds but I assumed the character models would look smoother. Nope.

For 3D games like Dino Crisis and racing games I could much more notice the ugly PS2 dithering on the picture with the filter on. This wasn't noticeable in Resident Evil 2 for example because it's pre rendered, but it smoothes out the 3D models like characters and stuff. Don't know why it isn't doing so with PE.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Tried to play my original pal copy of Resident Evil yesterday. But of course spent most of the time toying with the resolution and the framemeister. Things finally looked decent when i changed the output resolution to 576p, which i guess makes sense considering pal-games often run in 288p (and not 240p). So many annoyances living in pal-land!

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member

It does act weirdly with the trees in Silent Hill but the rest looks smooth. Not sure if it's only with the PAL version of the game though.

Timu

Tried to play my original pal copy of Resident Evil yesterday. But of course spent most of the time toying with the resolution and the framemeister. Things finally looked decent when i changed the output resolution to 576p, which i guess makes sense considering pal-games often run in 288p (and not 240p). So many annoyances living in pal-land!
Yep, that and 50hz gaming(ew).

Sub_Level

This console just keeps on giving. Got Dino Crisis in the mail yesterday and having a really great time.

This console just keeps on giving. Got Dino Crisis in the mail yesterday and having a really great time.

Dino Crisis has aged extremely well from a technology perspective, it's very impressive. Although last I played was on Vita, and the smaller screen does help remove some imperfections.

Glad more people are playing it, it's really good!

Dino Crisis has aged extremely well from a technology perspective, it's very impressive. Although last I played was on Vita, and the smaller screen does help remove some imperfections.

Regina!

i like the commander. Gail was awesome =)
You guys are awesome. Dino Crisis needs some lovin'

Doing the lords work

Mentioned this in the DC thread but thanks to your comparison OP awhile back I got a DC copy of Dino Crisis and am loving it!

Also got another import recommendation to share (I guess this is a thing now)

Crisis Beat

Die Hard vibes abound in this beat em up! At first the nineties anime cover (and the fact that it was a beat em up) made me curious enough to pounce on it but the game itself (while genre repetitive in combos so far; there's only three moves per character for ex.) is well worth the ugly ass polygons. It came out in PAL territories too and I wish I had a region free ps2 because the cheesy action movie esque cut-scenes are hilarious even without subtitles. If you're a fan of beat em ups, especially Die Hard or Dynamite Cop, I'd recommend it. If anyone else knows some solid beat em ups, hit me up!

Sub_Level

Dino Crisis is done.

I'm embarrassed to report that 2 of the password puzzles took me 30 minutes each to solve, and 1 of them took over 3 hours. It felt so good to solve them tho.

What a darn good game. I like the different ammo types and mixing. Enemies following you through doors is a nice touch. The bleeding mechanic never came into play for me, but I just played on Normal difficulty so YMMV. The puzzles were great, especially the crane ones where you used cards. Makes no conceptual sense whatsoever but made for fun puzzles. The game's story and characters are frankly fucking hilarious. Voice acting was surprisingly decent. Music was kinda forgettable but I didn't mind. TONS of backtracking, but again, didn't mind.

If I have any nitpick it's that Regina pushes things so damn slow and it's a locked animation -_-

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Still playing the original Resident Evil. And it might just be me, but I find this game really hard. And tense. Even saving is limited, seriously some hardcore shit!

One thing, should i try to aim at the heads of the zombies, or is that not important?

Sub_Level

Still playing the original Resident Evil. And it might just be me, but I find this game really hard. And tense. Even saving is limited, seriously some hardcore shit!

One thing, should i try to aim at the heads of the zombies, or is that not important?

Yeah RE was for sure a little challenging. Aiming upwards with the shotgun when a zombie is close to you (I stress CLOSE to you) is pretty much a guaranteed headshot. It will look like your character is aiming above the zombie but the game will register it as a headshot.

For pistol, I think it's too risky cuz you might not kill it and then you'll just end up getting bitten. So just go for body shots in that case.

Galdelico

Opinions on Philosoma, PS1gaf?
I've always been curious about it, but it seems one of those games YouTube footage doesn't really do much justice to.

i love resident evil one original on ps1. i play the heck out of it. one of my favorite games.
the directors cut (black label avoid green label) has an arrange mode that's pretty damn hard even for someone who plays it often.

for the shotgun, you can shoot straight point plank and still get a head shot plus mow down a few enemies behind them vs. shooting up.

in re 2 i would headshot by shooting up bc the bodies split apart at random times shooting point blank straight but in part one, you're good to go.

Sub_Level

Wait...so it wont shoot over the zombie's head? Even with a handgun?

If you're fairly close then no. It looks like it will but it won't.

The thing about using a handgun though is that it takes multiple bullets to kill one. So if you're close you're obviously putting yourself more in danger. That poster above probably knows more about the game than I do since I just beat it once, so just aiming straight should be fine with the shotgun.

Wait...so it wont shoot over the zombie's head? Even with a handgun?

Not at close range.

But for RE1, like others have mentioned, don't bother aiming up. Just let the zombie stumble towards you and when he's an inch from the end of your barrel just shoot straight forward. Takes the head straight off. In RE2 & 3 though, you need to aim upwards.

My general tip is to mix up the handgun and shotgun at the beginning of RE1. One shotting with the shotgun is a nice and fairly ammo conserving way of getting rid of a lot of them. Use the handgun from almost any distance is my experience, takes the same amount to take them down I feel. The handgun is good for those moments when you know where they are and have time to take them down.

RE1: Dir. Cut has auto-aim mind you, making it way easier to use the handgun for distance. Same with DualShock version of RE2. Vanilla RE1 and RE2 has complete manual aim though.

Sub_Level

Do you guys like my PS1 Top 30 collection?

The only one I might add to this is Medal of Honor Underground. Otherwise I'm done collecting for PS1!
Vagrant Story is staying the fuck out of my collection forever. I hate that game dude.

The only one I might add to this is Medal of Honor Underground. Otherwise I'm done collecting for PS1!
Vagrant Story is staying the fuck out of my collection forever. I hate that game dude.

Oh!!! Wipeout XL. hot soundtrack.

funny thing is i actually put that in my car CD dashboard and use it for music. i need to take it out and play it again =)

Galdelico

Spotted that Soul Blade while listening to Angra's Holy Land... Is there any better excuse to post this once again?

Lovely collection! ;)

Dino Crisis is done.

I'm embarrassed to report that 2 of the password puzzles took me 30 minutes each to solve, and 1 of them took over 3 hours. It felt so good to solve them tho.

What a darn good game. I like the different ammo types and mixing. Enemies following you through doors is a nice touch. The bleeding mechanic never came into play for me, but I just played on Normal difficulty so YMMV. The puzzles were great, especially the crane ones where you used cards. Makes no conceptual sense whatsoever but made for fun puzzles. The game's story and characters are frankly fucking hilarious. Voice acting was surprisingly decent. Music was kinda forgettable but I didn't mind. TONS of backtracking, but again, didn't mind.

If I have any nitpick it's that Regina pushes things so damn slow and it's a locked animation -_-
Glad you liked it! The banter between the characters, especially at the beginning is actually really good and funny.

Oh and don't be ashamed of those puzzles, they took me a long time the first time too! I like that it retains it's Resident Evil roots with the meaningless but entertaining puzzles! They mix up nicely between the action.

dubc35

I've been watching Stranger Things (Lttp Netflix show) recently. I'm about half way through but all I want to do is play Silent Hill, lol. Wow, it's not cheap based on a quick eBay search. So the HD collection is only 2 & 3?

Sub_Level

I've been watching Stranger Things (Lttp Netflix show) recently. I'm about half way through but all I want to do is play Silent Hill, lol. Wow, it's not cheap based on a quick eBay search. So the HD collection is only 2 & 3?

Yeah I had to pay $30 for Silent Hill this year. Most PS1 games are around like 10 to 15 bucks, so it's an outlier.

Everything I've seen says avoid the HD collection. For Silent Hill 2 and 3, go PS2 or PC. If you go PC, this thread will help you out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's missing FFTactics, Suikoden II, Wild ARMs, Xenogears, and the two Legacy of Kain games, at the very least. :p

Glad to see MediEvil get some love though, I liked that game! I have no idea how it'd hold up today though.

My Top 30 PS1 games would probably be something like this:

1. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
  2. Final Fantasy Tactics
  3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  4. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  5. Wild ARMs
  6. Suikoden II
  7. Silent Hill
  8. Breath of Fire III
  9. Xenogears
  10. Alundra
  11. Crash Bandicoot 2
  12. Resident Evil 2
  13. Metal Gear Solid
  14. Skullmonkeys
  15. Soul Blade
  16. Final Fantasy VII
  17. MediEvil
  18. Suikoden
  19. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
  20. Crash Bandicoot 3
  21. Crash Bandicoot
  22. Vandal Hearts
  23. Resident Evil: Director's Cut
  24. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
  25. Wild ARMs 2
  26. Breath of Fire IV
  27. Road Rash 3D
  28. Spyro
  29. MediEvil 2
  30. Valkyrie Profile

I've never been able to actually rate my favorite games other then maybe the top couple and even then it is hard. I just have a big lump of games that I loves.

Sub_Level

It's missing FFTactics, Suikoden II, Wild ARMs, Xenogears, and the two Legacy of Kain games, at the very least. :p

FFT is not really my thing. As for Xenogears, that game might be amazing but god it starts out really slow. Wasn't willing to be patient with it.

Your list is awesome and you certainly have great taste. Road Rash 3D is new to me. Never heard about that game before.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
FFT is not really my thing. As for Xenogears, that game might be amazing but god it starts out really slow. Wasn't willing to be patient with it.
Ah, fair enough. If you enjoy RPGs they are among the finest there is, though.

Your list is awesome and you certainly have great taste. Road Rash 3D is new to me. Never heard about that game before.
Thank you. Road Rash 3D was just dumb fun for me. It's probably not such a great game in the end, but I remember renting it a while back and having a blast. I wouldn't really replay it today though so that's why it's low on the list.

Top Bottom