• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

tumblr_nydz2ivnpw1qdt1bfo1_400.jpg

BoF III is a fantastic game. I loved it so much. I could never get into BoF IV though. I got my brother to play BoF III and IV and he loves them. I'm gonna have to sit down one day and give BoF IV another try.

I really liked BoF4, but the lack of "closure" for one antagonist makes it so I just can't replay the game. I think it was originally planed and was cut, but still.

BoF3 was great though, even if the desert kept me from replaying it too often.

thanks guys,

sounds like BoF III is a winner.

i haven't beat IV yet but it sounds different from III. it looks like it's coming in monday so i'll give it a whirl then =)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I have only played the first Breath of fire, which i found decent, but nothing mindblowing. I am very nostalgic for it though, since i own the issue it was reviewed in together with Final Fantasy 3, and always longed for it after that. But yeah, when i finally got it, it wasnt that great. Need to play 2, 3 and 4 though, considering i now own them all.

Timu

Nice pick ups davidwhangchoi.

Oh and I managed to 1CC King of Fighters 95, that game is hell to go through. I didn't record the run because I wasn't expecting that, maybe later though.

Timu

oh man you 1CC'd it? crazy =)
Yep. It took over a month to do it, lol. It was a bitch because the A.I. cheats like crazy in that game. I actually know how to beat the bosses easily now using hilarious tactics to trick their A.I. It's the AES version as well so it's pretty much arcade perfect.

Teknoman

Man, so I just found a copy of Gran Turismo 1 and decided to get it for the hell of it (double case is always nice), but its actually really fun and has a nice high detail PS1 look, which was surprising. I started the series with Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec, and while I didnt exactly fall for the series (dont really like sim racing) the PS1 game seems to have a perfect balance between arcadey and sim like handling?

Unless its just because I jumped straight into Arcade mode with a Skyline + Drift handling?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Man, so I just found a copy of Gran Turismo 1 and decided to get it for the hell of it (double case is always nice), but its actually really fun and has a nice high detail PS1 look, which was surprising. I started the series with Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec, and while I didnt exactly fall for the series (dont really like sim racing) the PS1 game seems to have a perfect balance between arcadey and sim like handling?

Unless its just because I jumped straight into Arcade mode with a Skyline + Drift handling?

I only beat a few tournaments and one license test in simulation mode, but yea sim mode is obviously a slower start and requires more of a tolerance for frustration.

This was this year, tho, so believe me when I say it still holds up.

Haha yeah my nickname is a nod to RE and Dante from the DMC games.

It's fun reading how someone in 2016 views a classic like RE1, which I fondly remember from my childhood! Glad you enjoyed it! Now go for 2 and 3, then Dino Crisis ;-)

i ordered dinocrisis 1 and 2, i'll post they them once they arrive =)

i ordered dinocrisis 1 and 2, i'll post they them once they arrive =)

Awesome dude! DC1 is survival and much like RE1-3 in structure. Remember to think over what you need when you are mixing darts and bullets!

DC2 is a different beast altogether, it's about racking in up combos and shooting everything that moves. They're both very different but do each their thing very well imo. Enjoy, and I look forward to hearing about it!

Currently on CD2 in RE2 myself, playing the Leon B scenario. I must have just played the Claire scenario A multiple times through the years and only Leon's once back when I originally completed the whole game. There's an impressive difference in both scenarios! Really having fun replaying it and bringing back memories from the 90's!

Awesome dude! DC1 is survival and much like RE1-3 in structure. Remember to think over what you need when you are mixing darts and bullets!

DC2 is a different beast altogether, it's about racking in up combos and shooting everything that moves. They're both very different but do each their thing very well imo. Enjoy, and I look forward to hearing about it!

Currently on CD2 in RE2 myself, playing the Leon B scenario. I must have just played the Claire scenario A multiple times through the years and only Leon's once back when I originally completed the whole game. There's an impressive difference in both scenarios! Really having fun replaying it and bringing back memories from the 90's!

it's funny i beat dino 2 back in the days but never finished dino 1. i'm grabbing both again since i saw them cheap. i didn't like dino 2 but i dont know why i kept playing to beat it and never finished one which i really enjoyed. i think it was because i brought both really late in the ps1 system's life and it got backlogged once started playing dreamcast's code veronica =)

it's funny i beat dino 2 back in the days but never finished dino 1. i'm grabbing both again since i saw them cheap. i didn't like dino 2 but i dont know why i kept playing to beat it and never finished one which i really enjoyed. i think it was because i brought both really late in the ps1 system's life and it got backlogged once started playing dreamcast's code veronica =)

Yeah, I remember the day I got my PS2 everything prior to it kind of just got put away in a corner. Years later I'm actually more fond of the PS1 library than the PS2 one!

sfedai0

Banned
Yeah, I remember the day I got my PS2 everything prior to it kind of just got put away in a corner. Years later I'm actually more fond of the PS1 library than the PS2 one!

I feel the same way because thats the platform that really introduced me to a whole bunch of different genres. Stuff like MGS, RE2, Twisted Metral, Tomb Raider, JRPG's, etc.

Morfeo

Haha yeah my nickname is a nod to RE and Dante from the DMC games.

It's fun reading how someone in 2016 views a classic like RE1, which I fondly remember from my childhood! Glad you enjoyed it! Now go for 2 and 3, then Dino Crisis ;-)

Actually played and beat RE2 (on the Dreamcast) after this, and wrote about it in the 30 days of horror thread. Awesome game for as well! With Dino Crisis Im going back to the PS1 though.

Just got this in:

I had this on my eBay watchlist for the past 5 or 6 years or so. lol. Seller must have had a huge amount of unsold stock for it to remain up for that long! Anyways finally decided to take the plunge because even though it's a Mad Catz product it was the only PS1 mouse I could find and I realllllllly really want to play Policenauts without having to suffer using the PS1's dpad.

Had this sent into the office. Colleagues were like, "why'd you buy a mouse for the playstation????"

Anyone else have one? What do you think of it? Is it trash?

Hah! And with retro stuff, there's ample opportunity to bewilder colleagues.

"You spent HOW MUCH for that old game???"

"Why do you keep buying cables all the time???"

"They made diskettes for the NES???"

Morfeo

Haha yeah, tell me about it :) I work at a university where it is pretty common to order a lot of books, so many probably just think that I read alot since i get stuff in the mail all the time (i try not to show them that its all games). I have gotten question about why so much stuff is coming in from Japan though, do they have so many great researcher in my field there lol?

About prices on old games, i try not to talk to much about it, noone i know understands that its possible to even pay for old games when they can be had for free on emulators (now Fifa or Cod 17 on the other hand lol).

IrishNinja

^cool! ive still never managed to finish part 1 on my DC, maybe next halloween haha. was always curious about that one though, post impressions when you get around to playing it dave!

Okay, so I managed to spend some time with my brand new mouse and played about an hour or so of Policenauts with it. Whoa! The experience is so much more better!

I could not stomach the game when I was playing it with a dualshock (that d-pad sucks balls man) and the mouse just improves the experience a million times over. I could never the play the game much before so when I finally got to my first action sequence I was blown away because I had not been expecting one. Can't imagine playing that with a d-pad. At first I was a little iffy about the default mouse speed but you can change it in the options. I chose the "Fast" setting and that made it perfect for me.

So, all in all, this Mad Catz mouse isn't that bad at all. Pretty cool for the cheap price I got it for. After I'm done with Policenauts I'll probably have a go at Discworld Noir as well, a game I've owned for almost 15 years now but could never get into also because of the controls. I'm hoping this mouse will fix that!

Haha yeah, tell me about it :) I work at a university where it is pretty common to order a lot of books, so many probably just think that I read alot since i get stuff in the mail all the time (i try not to show them that its all games). I have gotten question about why so much stuff is coming in from Japan though, do they have so many great researcher in my field there lol?

About prices on old games, i try not to talk to much about it, noone i know understands that its possible to even pay for old games when they can be had for free on emulators (now Fifa or Cod 17 on the other hand lol).

Ah, I work in a tech company so people here are quite knowledgeable about this sort of stuff. They just don't get why I don't have the latest and greatest. One person once asked me if I have a PS4 after he found out I love video games, and was dumbstruck when I answered, "I don't own a PS4, but I do own four PSones..." That counts right??? lol

I feel the same way because thats the platform that really introduced me to a whole bunch of different genres. Stuff like MGS, RE2, Twisted Metral, Tomb Raider, JRPG's, etc.

Yeah, I always felt the PS2 promised to top all this but somehow never managed to for my own experience. Sure some of the games were mindblowing sequels like the Gran Turismo games, Metal Gears 2 & 3 and Silent Hill 2 & 3. But it all just felt like better grpahics with less originality. I guess the early 3D era of the PS1 gave us a ton off innovation, for good or worse, made a very diverse PS1 library though!

Actually played and beat RE2 (on the Dreamcast) after this, and wrote about it in the 30 days of horror thread. Awesome game for as well! With Dino Crisis Im going back to the PS1 though.

Finished RE2 Claire A and Leaon B the other evening, amazing stuff! The two campaigns were a lot different, I'd forgot a lot about Leon's! I booted up instantly into RE3 afterwards, but I may need a little break. RE3 feels somehow PAL optimized, it just moves faster and lighter, but that may just be the design of the game.

I'm thinking of doing RE:CVX too, as I have the HD version lying on my 360. I've only played it once before back in the day on my PS2 (I wanted to play the Devil May Cry demo), so I feel I should revisit it.

IrishNinja

Finished RE2 Claire A and Leaon B the other evening, amazing stuff! The two campaigns were a lot different, I'd forgot a lot about Leon's! I booted up instantly into RE3 afterwards, but I may need a little break. RE3 feels somehow PAL optimized, it just moves faster and lighter, but that may just be the design of the game.

I'm thinking of doing RE:CVX too, as I have the HD version lying on my 360. I've only played it once before back in the day on my PS2 (I wanted to play the Devil May Cry demo), so I feel I should revisit it.

damn, i literally just finished REmake (PS4) and RE3 (DC) for halloween, yeah im debating holding off of CVX (PS3) for next year as well. after that, all i have left is RE0 and maybe finishing Dino Crisis one day!

my dino I came in yesterday. the mailing package was ripped open when i received it.
Second, the manual had old water damage. (all stained, warped and the staples were rusted brown.

i guess i'm going to file a return through ebay and grab another copy.

my dino I came in yesterday. the mailing package was ripped open when i received it.
Second, the manual had old water damage. (all stained, warped and the staples were rusted brown.

i guess i'm going to file a return through ebay and grab another copy.

Man such a shame!

I recently received Tomb Raiders for my Saturn (The Japanese version of Tomb Raider), without the fucking CD. Wrote to the seller immediately and he apologised and was going to send the CD straight away. I'm awaiting to see if I was ripped off!

^thanks! yeah, guy accepted the return and i ordered another copy from another ebayer coming tomorrow.

got this as well as today. never played it but got it out of curiosity:

Ohhh, I think I've seen a lot of bad reviews of that one! It's an interesting look at what a fully 3D and first person RE game could have been, as that's what was initially planned for RE1. Post your thoughts here when you've given it a go!

Ohhh, I think I've seen a lot of bad reviews of that one! It's an interesting look at what a fully 3D and first person RE game could have been, as that's what was initially planned for RE1. Post your thoughts here when you've given it a go!

yeah, i heard it's bad... busy getting my ps4 pro but i'll post some impressions later tonight, i really wanted to try this and the bouncer ps2 (games that i avoided) but curious about.

also, for dino crisis one, now i remember why i paused dino crisis and beat part 2, i was too lazy to figure out how how to use the medical items efficiently, and wasted items throwing random stuff together.
i got up to the first story branch and chose
to go after dr. kirk. vaguely remember going to the basement and using some crane to lift cargo to make a path and eventually saw dr. kirk. i also had another save that chose to go find the signal of late teammate and remember running into some pterodactyls in the air.
then i stopped bc i was just running around wasting ammo/meds and wanted to start over.

what's the best approach?

yeah, i heard it's bad... busy getting my ps4 pro but i'll post some impressions later tonight, i really wanted to try this and the bouncer ps2 (games that i avoided) but curious about.

also, for dino crisis one, now i remember why i paused dino crisis and beat part 2, i was too lazy to figure out how how to use the medical items efficiently, and wasted items throwing random stuff together.
i got up to the first story branch and chose
to go after dr. kirk. vaguely remember going to the basement and using some crane to lift cargo to make a path and eventually saw dr. kirk. i also had another save that chose to go find the signal of late teammate and remember running into some pterodactyls in the air.
then i stopped bc i was just running around wasting ammo/meds and wanted to start over.

what's the best approach?

Man it's been a while since I played DC1!

I recall making quite a few tranquillizer darts on my first playthroughs, helping me sedate dinosaurs that were to tricky to run past. Especially dead end rooms which I never would revisit: tranq, explore then leave the room. But later after I became familiar with the game I just collected and collected until I could make one shot kill darts, which by the end of the game I had quite a few of. You only get one poison dart per mix so mix them carefully without wasting resources. Also only use them on the harder dinosaurs on the second half of the game. You can of course check online for mixing help, but it maybe ruins the game a bit as you won't have the try and fail learning. Just remember a L++ tranq dart can then be made into a poison dart, try making them up to this level, anything lower can't be made into poison darts.

I recall the handgun being really bad in open combat, and should mainly be used behind a laser fence. The shotgun is good up real close as the raptors will be toppled over and can be shot while lying down afterwards. You can mix it up though if you don't mind jumping in and out of menues: shotgun them to the floor, handgun a few rounds into them as they get up, then shotgun etc. Later dinos won't be toppled over though I recall!

Supply boxes that are red are best as they contain ammo, yellow and green ones mostly contain health I recall. So choose ammo mostly!

Oh and the routes you choose in the game don't make huge item differences, they're there for replay value! Just choose what you feel as the story progresses, there's no right and wrong way as such!

Man it's been a while since I played DC1!

I recall making quite a few tranquillizer darts on my first playthroughs, helping me sedate dinosaurs that were to tricky to run past. Especially dead end rooms which I never would revisit: tranq, explore then leave the room. But later after I became familiar with the game I just collected and collected until I could make one shot kill darts, which by the end of the game I had quite a few of. You only get one poison dart per mix so mix them carefully without wasting resources. Also only use them on the harder dinosaurs on the second half of the game. You can of course check online for mixing help, but it maybe ruins the game a bit as you won't have the try and fail learning. Just remember a L++ tranq dart can then be made into a poison dart, try making them up to this level, anything lower can't be made into poison darts.

I recall the handgun being really bad in open combat, and should mainly be used behind a laser fence. The shotgun is good up real close as the raptors will be toppled over and can be shot while lying down afterwards. You can mix it up though if you don't mind jumping in and out of menues: shotgun them to the floor, handgun a few rounds into them as they get up, then shotgun etc. Later dinos won't be toppled over though I recall!

Supply boxes that are red are best as they contain ammo, yellow and green ones mostly contain health I recall. So choose ammo mostly!

Oh and the routes you choose in the game don't make huge item differences, they're there for replay value! Just choose what you feel as the story progresses, there's no right and wrong way as such!

Thanks for the tips!
Ok grab red boxes

Damn my replacement eBay order of dino crisis came to since the first seller had water damage. This copy smells like smoke and has heavy scratches.... Lol rats.... Man... Not having a good streak w eBay

Damn my replacement eBay order of dino crisis came to since the first seller had water damage. This copy smells like smoke and has heavy scratches.... Lol rats.... Man... Not having a good streak w eBay

Don't let it get you down, it happens. Just be happy it wasn't on a bigger cost item.

Anyone else know some good / overlooked third person shooters?
Do you mean behind-the-character games, or ones with a sort of overhead camera and run & gun-ish gameplay? In that latter category Apocalypse and One are probably the better-known titles, but I, at least, find Assault: Retribution maybe better than both... fun game.

alf717

Started a new play through of X5 off a custom eboot I made for the PSP which is connected to the TV. I originally just wanted to test it all out then I realized it was 3AM. I forgot that the Gaea Armor could push blocks. I was scratching my head for a moment while in Axl the Red's stage trying to get that one heart container. My brain knew what to do I just couldn't communicate it to my finger to get it done. Its silly that I forget something so simple. All that is left now are the Sigma stages. Think I might play some TR II next. I always get a hanking to play TR in November. Been watching all kinds of speed runs and glitches that people pull off in these games still amazes me watching someone just break a game know all the ins and outs of a level so clearly.

Teknoman

Do you mean behind-the-character games, or ones with a sort of overhead camera and run & gun-ish gameplay? In that latter category Apocalypse and One are probably the better-known titles, but I, at least, find Assault: Retribution maybe better than both... fun game.

Either or are fine.

Started a new play through of X5 off a custom eboot I made for the PSP which is connected to the TV. I originally just wanted to test it all out then I realized it was 3AM. I forgot that the Gaea Armor could push blocks. I was scratching my head for a moment while in Axl the Red's stage trying to get that one heart container. My brain knew what to do I just couldn't communicate it to my finger to get it done. Its silly that I forget something so simple. All that is left now are the Sigma stages. Think I might play some TR II next. I always get a hanking to play TR in November. Been watching all kinds of speed runs and glitches that people pull off in these games still amazes me watching someone just break a game know all the ins and outs of a level so clearly.
X5 was funny with the guns n roses names.

alf717

X5 was funny with the guns n roses names.

I didn't think much of the names back when the game released until I read up more about the names from various websites. Although I will say that Duff McWhalen is by far the silliest name in the series. Apparently Alyson Court apologized to fans which I didn't think was necessary. I know the X games name the Maverick's/Irregular's after animals and bugs but I always thought the Japanese names were more goofy in comparison. For example what is a Makkoeen? Web Spidus from X4. Heck even Spark Mandriller is goofy when you say it out loud.

Top Bottom