• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

tumblr_nkjsvxxExy1r3poamo1_500.jpg

alf717

Dude nice pickup davidwhangchoi. I was into Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate and Chrono Cross during that summer of 2000. Squaresoft held the Summer of Adventure event. I ended up with all three soundtracks samples and the Chrono Cross clock. Of course CC came out late August which gave me next to no summer vacation time to complete the game. =P

Dude nice pickup davidwhangchoi. I was into Legend of Mana, Threads of Fate and Chrono Cross during that summer of 2000. Squaresoft held the Summer of Adventure event. I ended up with all three soundtracks samples and the Chrono Cross clock. Of course CC came out late August which gave me next to no summer vacation time to complete the game. =P
Thanks man! 2000 was when in 2nd year of college so i stopped playing RPGs.
I picked on up crono cross but never finished it. there were so many rpgs back then.

I gotta try those lesser known Square games. BFM was great but I haven't explored many others of them.

did you ever play vandal hearts I or II? i was thinking about grabbing those.

IrishNinja

congrats on Legend of Mana! i think it was a stump post years back that made me wanna replay that, i totally did it wrong in the day

Threads of Fate is the only one from that batch ive yet to play beyond the demo

also Vandal Hearts is great if you're a Shining Force/FF Tactics fan, ive not played 2 but had a blast in the day with 1. it's bloody & the first game i saw back then go "...SHIT."

sadly no

I can vouch for the Suikodens though. They're phenomenal.

this, 1 was the RPG i needed before FF VII opened the floodgates, and 2 is still one of my all-time favorites

sadly no

I can vouch for the Suikodens though. They're phenomenal.
oh yeah! those are good. i got them on PSN but haven't had time to finish them.
congrats on Legend of Mana! i think it was a stump post years back that made me wanna replay that, i totally did it wrong in the day

Threads of Fate is the only one from that batch ive yet to play beyond the demo

also Vandal Hearts is great if you're a Shining Force/FF Tactics fan, ive not played 2 but had a blast in the day with 1. it's bloody & the first game i saw back then go "...SHIT."

this, 1 was the RPG i needed before FF VII opened the floodgates, and 2 is still one of my all-time favorites
thanks Irish, i see... so Vandal hearts is like tactics.

IrishNinja

thanks Irish, i see... so Vandal hearts is like tactics.

in that it's a strategy RPG that gets tough sometimes; you're not gonna see it get super complicated (like tactics did with affinity) or introduce characters that replace your whole team later, haha.
i wanna say it holds up, i had fun with it in the days before FF VII - i just recall this one prison fight being brutal!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Legend of Dragoon isn't bad. It can be very comfy and has some gorgeous looking locales. I'm glad I played it.

But it's extremely generic with every jrpg archetype in the book at its most bare, and the difficulty was toned down for the American release because they think we suck :(

You can pretty much just attack and heal for 99% of teh game lol

Palom

I just played through Legend of Dragoon last month. The translation is one of the worst PS1 JRPG translations I've played, about as bad or maybe a little worse than Wild Arms 2. I really didn't like the game, and there were numerous times I fell asleep playing because the battles were so slow. If you still insist on playing it, I would suggest playing on a real PS1 with wired controllers on a CRT TV, though. I played it with a wireless controller and on an LCD TV. The difference in input/display lag with modern hardware makes the game excessively difficult and frustrating because the combat timings are so tight.

i have a PS1 collection i'd like to get rid of. But the games i have aren't exactly classics. is there anywhere that buys them or i just gotta be lucky that someone wants them?

sarcoa

i have a PS1 collection i'd like to get rid of. But the games i have aren't exactly classics. is there anywhere that buys them or i just gotta be lucky that someone wants them?
Craigslist, local retro game stores (if you live in an area that has them), or Half Price Books will usually buy them if they're complete. There's also this thread.

Legend of Dragoon isn't bad. It can be very comfy and has some gorgeous looking locales. I'm glad I played it.

But it's extremely generic with every jrpg archetype in the book at its most bare, and the difficulty was toned down for the American release because they think we suck :(

You can pretty much just attack and heal for 99% of teh game lol
that's what i heard too about it. lol
I just played through Legend of Dragoon last month. The translation is one of the worst PS1 JRPG translations I've played, about as bad or maybe a little worse than Wild Arms 2. I really didn't like the game, and there were numerous times I fell asleep playing because the battles were so slow. If you still insist on playing it, I would suggest playing on a real PS1 with wired controllers on a CRT TV, though. I played it with a wireless controller and on an LCD TV. The difference in input/display lag with modern hardware makes the game excessively difficult and frustrating because the combat timings are so tight.
yeah i have my hardware hooked up RGB to a Sony BVM =) thanks for the heads up

IrishNinja

^ah nice! that's prolly not a bad price for it, man...lemme know what you think when you get around to it! i only played the demo in the day, think i had that mini OST they were giving out somewhere

^ah nice! that's prolly not a bad price for it, man...lemme know what you think when you get around to it! i only played the demo in the day, think i had that mini OST they were giving out somewhere

yeah, will do, i've been consumed in trying to beat the secret dungeon in FF15 (no enemy, platform puzzles) but definitely want to try all the ps1 games i missed in college.

did you have a PSX in college & were broke, (like most of us) or were you a saturn/N64 type dude then, dave?

awe man, i was broke and mooched off my older bro's ps1.
i had an N64 but a friend borrowed it and never returned it but no saturn. i think i stayed away after the Sega CD, 32X, all coming out so quickly after another.

the first full price games i brought were alundra, raystorm, einhander and lunar 1+2.

Was just at the local store, they had einhander for $70. Which actually seems like a good price for what it's going for on ebay. I've already spent way too much lately though.

Was just at the local store, they had einhander for $70. Which actually seems like a good price for what it's going for on ebay. I've already spent way too much lately though.

that's a good price. if i didn't own it already i would buy it in a heartbeat.
i re-brought einhander around 2003-2004, even back then before the retro craze, it was more expensive than the going prices of ps1 games. (about 30-40 bucks). that same year, i ordered R-Type Delta directly from agetec for 19.99. after i found retroGAF and realized the prices of these games, wishfully, i tried going on the agetec site again. lol

TeaJay

I've been trying out some PS1 imports lately and fell unto Adventures of Little Ralph and boy, did that one surprise me. It's kinda like a SNES-era platformer enhanced to the max with great music, graphics, and good level design. I couldn't get past the damn mine cart ride though but I will definitely try more later, since there seems to be infinite continues.

Curious why they never brought it to the west, since the locations and GUI is already in english. (maybe they thought it would be easy enough to import?) or maybe they thought that PS1 gamers of that era won't care for pixel art and platformers - it's gotta be 3D?

Also recommend more PS1 imports on the same vein. I already know of Harmful Park.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I've been trying out some PS1 imports lately and fell unto Adventures of Little Ralph and boy, did that one surprise me. It's kinda like a SNES-era platformer enhanced to the max with great music, graphics, and good level design. I couldn't get past the damn mine cart ride though but I will definitely try more later, since there seems to be infinite continues.

Curious why they never brought it to the west, since the locations and GUI is already in english. (maybe they thought it would be easy enough to import?) or maybe they thought that PS1 gamers of that era won't care for pixel art and platformers - it's gotta be 3D?

Also recommend more PS1 imports on the same vein. I already know of Harmful Park.

Sony had a very famous anti-2D stance back then, could be the reason why it was never brought over.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
For those wondering (so nobody lol), the fast load option on PS2 for PS1 games actually does help improve the infamously bad load times on the PS1 version of FFVI.

Normal load:
3 seconds to enter menu
5 seconds to exit menu

PS2 Fast load option:
2 seconds to enter menu
4 seconds to exit menu

Timed multiple times on each setting. It is STILL NOT a pleasant way to play FFVI but I was happy to see that it does help a little.

Morfeo

thanks Morfeo, with all the Yakuza 0 and switch talk, it's been hard to fire up the ol' BVM. lol
but i love resident evil so i think i'm going to try it soon.

Yeah I can relate. Been renovating my living room myself, so hasnt been able to play anything for sometime. Looking forward to soon getting all my gaming stuff back up.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
For those wondering (so nobody lol), the fast load option on PS2 for PS1 games actually does help improve the infamously bad load times on the PS1 version of FFVI.

Normal load:
3 seconds to enter menu
5 seconds to exit menu

PS2 Fast load option:
2 seconds to enter menu
4 seconds to exit menu

Timed multiple times on each setting. It is STILL NOT a pleasant way to play FFVI but I was happy to see that it does help a little.

Interestingly enough, the fast load option speeds up the voices in Silent Hill which can be quite funny.

Normal load:
3 seconds to enter menu
5 seconds to exit menu

PS2 Fast load option:
2 seconds to enter menu
4 seconds to exit menu

oh good info to know, i have that on file to play eventually and using a ps2
Yeah I can relate. Been renovating my living room myself, so hasnt been able to play anything for sometime. Looking forward to soon getting all my gaming stuff back up.
yeah hopefully you get your gaming setup by the time Yakuza 0 releases.

Played a bunch of Momotaro Dentetsu 7 today. Not having good knowledge of Japanese geography (and being a slow reader) made it really hard but my wife insisted it's a good way to learn. It's pretty fun! Shame none of the releases are playable in English in any way but I guess it's understandable.

Also did a few rounds of Crash Team Racing right after a bit of Mario Kart 8. Still holds up really well, the tracks are really well done, the racing feels tight, and the "rubber banding" difficulty is pretty spot on to make things competitive.

Playing Parasite Eve 2 after completing PE1 last week. I find it hard to stick with survival horror games after a certain point, but I'll try with this one. One of the better looking games I've seen on the system, but damn the NMCs look goofy.

Morfeo

14ZuCQI.jpg

Before there was Bloodbourne, there was Dark Souls.

Before there was Dark Souls, there was Demons Souls.

Before that there was Armored Core.

Before Armored Core, there was Kings Field.

Holy shit this is fucking hard. Meet my latest addition to the collection.

How do you like it? I love the Souls-games, but the Kings Field-series just look so clunky that i havent been able to motivate myself to check it out yet.

So I finally bit the bullet and found a decent price for Vanark recently and I'm happy to say that for the most part, it lives up to the hype.

It plays like Star Fox and the gameplay is surprising smooth and the visuals are nice to look at for a PS1 game(budget title no less!).

It also has some interesting third person(Resident Evil style) areas in between the shooter levels where you can explore. Get's kind of old after awhile, but I appreciate the variety.

Anyone else here ever play? What do you think of it? It's too bad it never got a PS1 classics releases on PSN.

Top Bottom