• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Timu

Was amazed to find this beauty. How rare is it?

v1fNjE6.jpg
Very rare.

Vespa

So I finally bit the bullet and found a decent price for Vanark recently and I'm happy to say that for the most part, it lives up to the hype.

It plays like Star Fox and the gameplay is surprising smooth and the visuals are nice to look at for a PS1 game(budget title no less!).

It also has some interesting third person(Resident Evil style) areas in between the shooter levels where you can explore. Get's kind of old after awhile, but I appreciate the variety.

Anyone else here ever play? What do you think of it? It's too bad it never got a PS1 classics releases on PSN.

Never heard of this, just skipped through a video and it looks really good. Is there any fighting in those third person sections?

Peltz

I went into a GameStop for the first time in years waiting for a date in union square. Holy shit what happened to this chain?

They have a large tshirt section now. And half the place is junky physical toys and nick-nacks. Plus the games are all disorganized and the used ones have heinous price stickers on them... although admittedly that was always the case.

But really, half the store is not even videogames anymore. And the lighting sucks.

And a homeless guy came in dressed in a skirt and had a cotton candy wig and told me "I'm dressed this way because it's springtime and I'm setting the tone."

(Okay that last part was awesome but the rest sucked).

Edit: whoops meant to post this in the retro thread.

Never heard of this, just skipped through a video and it looks really good. Is there any fighting in those third person sections?

Unfortunately no. The third person parts are rather barren, but I love the concept of it. Would love to see a game flesh it out more.

Seriously though, this is a really solid shooter. Can't believe how nice it looks visually and how smooth it plays.

I definitely recommend it!

mao2

I've been trying out some PS1 imports lately and fell unto Adventures of Little Ralph and boy, did that one surprise me. It's kinda like a SNES-era platformer enhanced to the max with great music, graphics, and good level design. I couldn't get past the damn mine cart ride though but I will definitely try more later, since there seems to be infinite continues.

Curious why they never brought it to the west, since the locations and GUI is already in english. (maybe they thought it would be easy enough to import?) or maybe they thought that PS1 gamers of that era won't care for pixel art and platformers - it's gotta be 3D?

Also recommend more PS1 imports on the same vein. I already know of Harmful Park.
community-pom-para-pl4ws8r.jpg

Have you heard of Community Pom? It's a cute 2D Zelda-style action RPG and it definitely looks like something from the SNES era. Pic above is stolen from deddonpachi's post in another topic. :p

Digital version is available on JP PS Store for 617yen.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja...33_00-0000000000000001?SMCID=jGMpscomheader03

Review by Michael Baker on RPGamer.
https://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/psx/compom/reviews/compomstrev1.html

Let's Play by reinofhearts on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NXsjQ2JXaE

Teknoman

So I finally bit the bullet and found a decent price for Vanark recently and I'm happy to say that for the most part, it lives up to the hype.

It plays like Star Fox and the gameplay is surprising smooth and the visuals are nice to look at for a PS1 game(budget title no less!).

It also has some interesting third person(Resident Evil style) areas in between the shooter levels where you can explore. Get's kind of old after awhile, but I appreciate the variety.

Anyone else here ever play? What do you think of it? It's too bad it never got a PS1 classics releases on PSN.

The crazy thing is a couple years ago, there were tons of Vanark copies online and for cheap too. Not sure how the price jump just...happened lol.

Vespa

Unfortunately no. The third person parts are rather barren, but I love the concept of it. Would love to see a game flesh it out more.

Seriously though, this is a really solid shooter. Can't believe how nice it looks visually and how smooth it plays.

I definitely recommend it!

It looks part Star Fox, part Panzer dragoon, will definitely give it a try.

Imagine if it was as good as Resident Evil in those sections, what an awesome game it would be!

The crazy thing is a couple years ago, there were tons of Vanark copies online and for cheap too. Not sure how the price jump just...happened lol.

Ha yea. It literally was going for $2 almost two years ago. Now it's hovering in the 80's range.

It's weird because Pete Dorr(gaming youtuber) did a video on it way before that and the price didn't jump until later, so I'm guessing some other big youtuber did a video on it around that time?
It looks part Star Fox, part Panzer dragoon, will definitely give it a try.

Imagine if it was as good as Resident Evil in those sections, what an awesome game it would be!

The shooting/flying aspects are fantastic. The third person parts are unfortunately boring and really don't need to be in the game. Must have been for padding or maybe the developers had grander plans but due to budget had to cut it.

Square2015

After playing dozens of the best ranked PSX titles, I think it s a better console than the PS2. I've had more fun with the games than I have with the "best" PS2 titles. Something was lost when Sony went high polygon full 3D. There's something about those crisp pixilated blocks in HD and then the beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds.
I look forward to trying out more of the best of PSX (so many) and few titles have been disappointments. PS2 had a lot of disappointments for me (many of them the sequels o f PSX titles).

Anyone else feel the PS1 (and its SW) is better or more fun than PS2?

IrishNinja

My perfect trilogy finally obtained. Uncensored Parappa The Rapper 2 as well. Result!

Those cover arts are gorgeous.

they really are - and they come with posters too! at least, PaRappa does
also Um Jammer Lammy (the series' peak) censors the last stage in the US version, it's weak

Was amazed to find this beauty. How rare is it?

not as rare as the coveted PAL wu-tang: enter the shaolin controller for true OG's

SKINNER!

Banned
Uncensored? What was censored? Also, what version is the censored one? I have the silver box version.

US versions of Parappa the Rapper 2 have swapped out references of alcohol and religion to secure an E rating. Japanese and European versions have been untouched.

Same minor changes occurred with songs in Um Jammer Lammy and even one scene was altered to secure the E rating. Japan and Europe versions were not changed.

they really are - and they come with posters too! at least, PaRappa does

Yeah, PaRappa 1 and 2 have posters. Um Jammer Lammy doesn't...not my copy anyway. Just the manual.

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone here picked up the N64 Anthology book by Geeks-Line Publishing? They just started their Playstation Anthology book Kickstarter Campaign.

Classic Edition said:

Kickstarter Collector's Edition said:

Kickstarter backers get a silver dust case and 16 unseen pages I believe.

Features are in the kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2099439603/playstation-anthology

I love my N64 Anthology so I highly recommend this if you want something nice to accompany your Playstation 1.

Note: They had a Neo Geo campaign but SNK pulled the plug so let's hope Sony doesn't do the same.

Anyone here picked up the N64 Anthology book by Geeks-Line Publishing? They just started their Playstation Anthology book Kickstarter Campaign.

Features are in the kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2099439603/playstation-anthology

I love my N64 Anthology so I highly recommend this if you want something nice to accompany your Playstation 1.

Note: They had a Neo Geo campaign but SNK pulled the plug so let's hope Sony doesn't do the same.

I love the N64 book and wish I got in on the kickstarter of it, so thanks for the heads up on this one.

...that extra $20 for shipping though...

Why did you post this? Be still my aching wallet :(

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Nice heads up! I dont usually pick this sorta stuff up but my PS1 days were so memorable.

I played so many ps1 games for the first time last year.

Snes and ps2 will always dominate the "best console" talk. Even 360 will prolly get more mentions. But man ps1 was a ferocious beast. Its number 1 for me.

playstation anthology looks pretty Damn kick ass

iv only relly backed projects via paypal and that dosnt even seem like an option here .........

Peltz

Is Metal Slug X worth picking up or should I just go with the anthology on PS2?

No. Go with the Anthology instead. There's too many frames of animation missing and weird pixelated explosions. It was fine for the time when some of us had no other options for home ports of Metal Slug games, but no one should ever play it today considering there are a ton of better options out there.

If you get Anthology, you'll miss out on the cool combat school mini games and 240p visuals. If you don't mind the cut down animation the PS1 version isn't a bad buy.

Doesn't Anthology exclude the hitflash on bosses too? I don't like that.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If you get Anthology, you'll miss out on the cool combat school mini games and 240p visuals. If you don't mind the cut down animation the PS1 version isn't a bad buy.

Doesn't Anthology exclude the hitflash on bosses too? I don't like that.

The PS2 anthology had the hitflashes, I think. But the more memorable aspect of that port was the insane amount of input lag. It's terrible. The Wii version didn't have the input lag issue, but it omitted the hitflashes.

sfedai0

Banned
Hmmm hard to decide on the right way to play Metal Slug guys. I might just go the digital route and get it on the PSN store.

SKINNER!

Banned
Anyone got any underrated gem recommendations? I was an N64 kid but I recently got a beloved PS1 Slim with BeatMania and it's massive DJ controller so I'm enjoying that but I'm just curious if anyone has any recommendations? Was interested in Fear Effect.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Happy 4th birthday, this thread that I made!

I haven't played PS1 in 3 years. I understand the silliness of that, since I consider it to probably be my favorite system ever... but hey, at least I've been stocking up on the rarer games on the system. 3 years ago, I didn't have shit like Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden II. Now I do. And haven't opened them :-/

I finally snagged Symphony of the Night! I beat it a couple years ago on the Vita and knew I had to get a copy. I've been trying to go back and get physical copies of all the games I've beaten and enjoyed. I remember liking Ace Combat 2 back in the day and I love the big box games so I grabbed Air Combat. From a collecting aspect I'd love to focus on getting all the big box games.

0VUbjOT.jpg

dubc35

That SotN cover looks so much better than my green greatest hits one! Oh well it what I bought new back in the day so it has some sentimental value.

I finally snagged Symphony of the Night! I beat it a couple years ago on the Vita and knew I had to get a copy. I've been trying to go back and get physical copies of all the games I've beaten and enjoyed. I remember liking Ace Combat 2 back in the day and I love the big box games so I grabbed Air Combat. From a collecting aspect I'd love to focus on getting all the big box games.

0VUbjOT.jpg

Ooooo SOTN!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Anyone got any underrated gem recommendations? I was an N64 kid but I recently got a beloved PS1 Slim with BeatMania and it's massive DJ controller so I'm enjoying that but I'm just curious if anyone has any recommendations? Was interested in Fear Effect.

Ghost in the Shell

It has interesting traversal mechanics (you can slide on walls and ceilings) and has fantastic aesthetics.

0VUbjOT.jpg

That longbox Air Combat is amazing!

Top Bottom