• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Yowzers! Then that has to be the most 'valuable' gaming collectible I own.

What about Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, and Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (black labels all)?

Dereck

Yowzers! Then that has to be the most 'valuable' gaming collectible I own.

What about Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, and Castlevania - Symphony of the Night (black labels all)?
You keep naming games that are rare and go for a lot. I feel like you already know which games are valuable.

I really don't have any actual knowledge, I haven't looked in to it. I occasionally hear reference to them in other gaming discussions.

Respawn

Banned
Finished every game in the op except for jammy lammy.

Man I still remember the first time my buddy got the imported version of Castlevania. Our jaws dropped at the animations of Alucard. To find out later on it was very good use of polygons that made up his motions. Such glorious times indeed.

Cheddahz

Banned
True story: Amazon Warehouse Deals had a like new copy of Xenogears for $25. I had been looking to get the game for years, so I decided to try my luck and prayed that I get the BL version of the game. Well, the game came in a week and later and it was a brand new copy of the game (and black label)! I don't think I'll ever be that lucky again

I'm kinda torn between whether I like the PS1 or PS2 better, but I'm leaning more towards the PS1 these days. The PS2 definitely had more games, and it did action games far better than the PS1 did, but the PS1 had heart. The PS2 was where we really saw the transition towards turning games into cinematic experiences whereas PS1 games were still straight-up... well, games. Even the original Metal Gear Solid felt comparatively economical with its words.

I also think the PS1 era benefited from taking place in a post-Evangelion world. Eva, along with a bunch of other '90s anime, clearly had a profound impact on the games that were coming out, and I loved that. So many of Square's RPGs felt really bleak and had this sense of ennui about them, which was something that we never had in the SNES generation, and lost once the PS2 came around.

And while I think this last thing might have been more specific to me, one of my favorite things about the PS1 that the PS2 didn't have was the mystique about the games, especially the imports. Obviously, the internet was just starting to awaken to itself in the mid '90s, so one's ability to dig up information on games was limited. You'd buy an issue of EGM or Gamefan, and there'd always be these crazy Japanese games that you'd never heard of that all looked really cool. My favorite part of these magazines became the Game Cave advertisements in the back, because that's where I'd see all this stuff. It was awesome.

But, by the time the PS2 rolled around, that culture had kinda dissipated. And while there are obviously quite a few good PS2 imports, they weren't necessarily as numerous or interesting as what came before.

nostalgia is obviously a factor, ps2 featured quite a few things the ps1 didn't have (character action games, larger presence of megaten titles, much *much* better fighting games, etc) but the ps1's design culture felt lost with the rise of western prominence in the console space, grand theft auto superseding final fantasy as the prime exclusive on the ps2 for instance.

a lot of the charm of the ps1 (and the saturn) is in its link to that early 3d frontier of game development. devs had no idea what they were doing and were basically just making shit up as they went, it was fun to see the evolution of 1996 ps1 games to 2000 ps1 games. it's one of the prime reasons why final fantasy vii probably should never be remade, so much of its levity and overall appeal would be lost if its removed from that 1996-1997 zeitgeist (i hate to use that word as i sound like an asshole but it's the only one that comes to mind) that you described

onQ123

The only official product to ever use the I/O port was the PlayStation link cable:

36092272381830073.jpg

Which would allow you to link up two Playstations for LAN like play. Looking at Wikipedia, the games that supported this feature where:

• Andretti Racing (2 to 4 players)
  • Armored Core
  • Armored Core: Project Phantasma
  • Armored Core: Master of Arena
  • Assault Rigs
  • Blast Radius
  • Bogey Dead 6
  • Burning Road
  • Bushido Blade
  • Bushido Blade 2
  • Car and Driver Presents Grand Tour Racing 98
  • CART World Series
  • Command & Conquer: Red Alert
  • Command & Conquer: Retaliation
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Descent
  • Descent Maximum
  • Destruction Derby
  • Doom
  • Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown
  • Final Doom
  • Formula 1
  • Formula 1 98
  • Dune 2000
  • Independence Day
  • Krazy Ivan
  • Monaco Grand Prix
  • R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 (2 to 4 players)
  • Red Asphalt (Rock N' Roll Racing 2)
  • Ridge Racer Revolution
  • Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed
  • Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012
  • San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing
  • Tales of Destiny 2
  • Test Drive 4
  • TOCA 2 Touring Cars
  • Trick'N Snowboarder
  • Wipeout
  • Wipeout 2097
  • Wipeout 3 Special Edition (2 to 4 players)
  • Wing Over

The only other device that used the I/O port was the Playstation version of the Gameshark, I think. Though there may have been a few other unlicensed products that used it as well that I might not be aware of.

As for the GameCube, the only port that was ever used was the high speed connection for the GBA player.

Wasn't that used for the GameShark?

GameSharkPS1-h450.png

I kinda forgot what else, but ya.

Yeah I knew about the GameShark I was wondering if Sony ever did anything with it. I guess they didn't.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah I knew about the GameShark I was wondering if Sony ever did anything with it. I guess they didn't.

Wasn't that port a vestige from when the Playstation was going to be the SNES CD drive? I seem to recall hearing that at one point, but don't have a definite source on it.

bozeman

Found long case copies of Battle Arena Toshinden and Air Combat in a thrift store on Friday. Air Combat's case has a broken hinge but BAT's case is perfect. Both games are pristine. Not quite sure what to do with them because the only other PS1 game I own is MGS Greatest Hits I got at a garage sale in horrible condition.

Would you mind taking a picture of what it looks like? Playing a game on it, I mean.

Resident Evil/Final Fantasy, preferably

I started putting together some video about the PSOne LCD combo with gameplay footage from several games. I am currently uploading the Ghost in the Shell footage. It came out the best. I will probably go back and re-film some of the Resident Evil 2 gameplay. It was really dark and my camera just doesn't do it justice.

Add: Give it about 40 mins to upload, but here's the video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejGnRS6-rhY

NekoFever

On PS1 vs PS2, the PS2 plays all PS1 games, therefore it wins :p

It's a tough choice. I have more PS2 games, but there's a certain charm about PS1 classics. There's a certain charm about PS1 graphics for all its flaws. I tend to be a bit more forgiving of their issues because they're clearly 'retro' visuals, whereas PS2 games look like worse-looking current gen games.

FaintDeftone

I've sort of stopped collecting PS1 games lately but I do keep a look out for the big, long old school PS1 cased games. I added the original release of Resident Evil in the big case to my collection a couple of months ago. My goal is to collect all of them eventually. Right now RE, Jumping Flash and Hardball 5 are the only three I own.

I have a decent collection of PS1 games but I need many many more. I have several without cases too that I need to replace.

551a0ec8-48d2-42f6-91f8-554e2782bc12.jpg

26b7f60f-0353-48fb-8d66-c48e21ccfb5a.jpg

e728e89f-47b9-4679-8e44-5bdc0af96a34.jpg

bozeman

I've sort of stopped collecting PS1 games lately but I do keep a look out for the big, long old school PS1 cased games. I added the original release of Resident Evil in the big case to my collection a couple of months ago. My goal is to collect all of them eventually. Right now RE, Jumping Flash and Hardball 5 are the only three I own.

I have a decent collection of PS1 games but I need many many more. I have several without cases too that I need to replace.

551a0ec8-48d2-42f6-91f8-554e2782bc12.jpg

26b7f60f-0353-48fb-8d66-c48e21ccfb5a.jpg

e728e89f-47b9-4679-8e44-5bdc0af96a34.jpg

See my post 3 above yours. Want them?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The PS1 market doesn't seem to be particularly hot at the moment, which makes it a good time for me to be buying. NTSC stuff on eBay UK doesn't get a lot of interest, so I've got stuff for less than the going rate quite often.

Medievil. Should be quite cheap. Very charming game.

Danny Dudekisser

Added a bunch of stuff from djtiesto's thread, which really helped fill in some of the gaps. Seriously, man, it was a huge help.

I'll add in recommended games next. But right now? It's nice as fuck outside. Gonna check out some undergrads.

Yuterald

Awesome thread. Found some stuff in here that I forgot about. Now I need to start rebuying some of this shit! I have 100+ games, but I lost a lot my collection in a fire about 4 years ago so I have some rebuilding to do still.

Oh, and holy shit at that Ridge Racer Type 4 intro! Never was really into racing games, but I might pick that one up because that shit was slick and hot!

True story: Amazon Warehouse Deals had a like new copy of Xenogears for $25. I had been looking to get the game for years, so I decided to try my luck and prayed that I get the BL version of the game. Well, the game came in a week and later and it was a brand new copy of the game (and black label)! I don't think I'll ever be that lucky again

Brand new as in factory sealed with the top seal sticker? Or was it a re-seal? Either way, nice pickup.

Radius

And I thought Tobal 2 would be completely forgotten by now... Few 3D games manage to remain pleasing to the eye and perfectly playable 15 years after their initial release but T2 is one of those very rare cases. So glad I imported it. I remember playing the story mode for months and catching those monsters using a guide from gamefaqs. I should still have a save file with approximately 150 playable characters. It's sad that this kind of single player content is completely absent in today's fighting games.

And I thought Tobal 2 would be completely forgotten by now... Few 3D games manage to remain pleasing to the eye and perfectly playable 15 years after their initial release but T2 is one of those very rare cases. So glad I imported it. I remember playing the story mode for months and catching those monsters using a guide from gamefaqs. I should still have a save file with approximately 150 playable characters. It's sad that this kind of single player content is completely absent in today's fighting games.

To be fair, that kind of single player content was absent in most fighting games then too.

Yuterald

So, this thread got me to splurge on some PS1 games. Just ordered the following from Ebay:

Omega Boost
Jersey Devil
Silent Bomber
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4

All stuff I've never played before. Bought them all in very good/near mint complete condition. Excited!

Danny Dudekisser

So, this thread got me to splurge on some PS1 games. Just ordered the following from Ebay:

Omega Boost
Jersey Devil
Silent Bomber
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4

All stuff I've never played before. Bought them all in very good/near mint complete condition. Excited!

Always wanted to try Silent Bomber, myself. I can wholeheartedly recommend playing R4 immediately, though. I played the game again a couple years ago, and while the visuals are pretty rough, the game just plays absurdly well. And the soundtrack is stupid good, as I'm sure you already know. R4 was one of the system's defining games, for me at least.

Yuterald

Always wanted to try Silent Bomber, myself. I can wholeheartedly recommend playing R4 immediately, though. I played the game again a couple years ago, and while the visuals are pretty rough, the game just plays absurdly well. And the soundtrack is stupid good, as I'm sure you already know. R4 was one of the system's defining games, for me at least.

Yeah, I'm not really a car/racer guy, but I do enjoy arcade-like/kart racing games from time to time. That R4 intro sold me though. I gotta own/play that!

Yeah, I'm dying to play Silent Bomber. I just heard about it recently. I had no idea CyberConnect developed it (loved Tail Concerto). Game looks totally up my alley too. Had to pay a pretty penny on Ebay for it though ($43 complete).

Agent X

The only official product to ever use the I/O port was the PlayStation link cable:

36092272381830073.jpg

Which would allow you to link up two Playstations for LAN like play.

The link cable connected to the serial I/O port, not the parallel I/O port.

I have one of those cables, by the way. I used it on only one occasion, when I brought my PlayStation to a friend's house to play head-to-head games of Doom and Descent. Good fun, but in retrospect I wish I had been able to get more use out of it. On a similar note, I also have a JagLink cable for the Atari Jaguar, which I still haven't used.

sfedai0

Banned
This thread has motivated me to play my PS1 collection, most of which has never been close to beaten. I bought Fear Effect 2 months back and will start with that one!

Thought I'd share my early days with the PS1. I first read about it in magazines back in 1994-1995, but I didn't get to play one until late '95 in a local Toys R Us. It stood at the end of a long aisle facing the front of the store next to a Saturn which also stood at the end of it's own aisle. So there I was looking at 2 next gen systems, one with a demo of Virtua Fighter, and one with an entire demo disc. I played them both, but in the end I wasn't overly impressed by Virtua Fighter, but I was captivated by a cool new game called Wipeout. Holy shit that was a game changer for me.

So in early January 1996, I drove to Sears (I had just gotten a credit card there) and bought my Playstation. I picked Ridge Racer as my first game. As impressed by Wipeout as I was, I had been reading about Ridge Racer for about a year and I had to have it immediately.

9TQygOk.jpg

So I drove home with my new swag, so excited to tear into it. This was upstate New York in the middle of winter. It was the middle of the day, but it was dark and overcast. Though there was no snow on the ground, there was a huge wind storm happening, and I remember dodging fallen branches in the road as I made my way back home.

I finally made it home only to be greeted by the news that the power was out. And the power would remain out for the rest of the day. Here I was with my new Playstation, so fucking eager to play it, the situation mocking me. In the end that became a memorable day for me, but at the time it really sucked. The power finally came back the following day and I played my new system for hours and hours.

I didn't just play Ridge Racer, I also played with the demo disc that came with the system. The same demo that Toys R Us kiosk had featured.

Nth7T7P.jpg

The actual game/demo from the purchase of my system

That demo disc sold me on a shit load of games. Though only a few were playable like Wipeout (it also had playable demos of Jumping Flash, Battle Arena Toshinden, and ESPN Extreme) but it sold me on games like Warhawk, Destruction Derby, and Twisted Metal. I played the ever loving shit out of that demo, and to this day I have fond memories of it.

In the first few days following my new purchase, I would find myself buying Wipeout and Warhawk, and renting a shitload of games including Destruction Derby, Road & Track Presents: The Need For Speed, and Kileak the DNA Imperative. I rented them numerous times but eventually bought them all.

0BAYQaX.jpg

Road & Track Presents: The Need For Speed

Later that year I would be fortunate enough to play games like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider, and gaming was never the same for me again. I'd been playing games since Pong, but the appeal of video games were starting to wane. The Playstation changed all of that for me and it remains my favorite game system of all time.

Yuterald

I want this game SO badly. It's Media Vision's first game (Wild ARMs dev). Those characters on the front cover look literally like Rudy and Cecilia from Wild ARMs, it's nuts! Game always looked cool, but it only came out in Europe and Japan, I believe. I can't even find a real copy of it on Ebay! It's lost to the world now. =(

Interest note, Gunner's Heaven was an area/town in Wild ARMs 3. Cool nod to one of their first games. =D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I want this game SO badly. It's Media Vision's first game (Wild ARMs dev). Those characters on the front cover look literally like Rudy and Cecilia from Wild ARMs, it's nuts! Game always looked cool, but it only came out in Europe and Japan, I believe. I can't even find a real copy of it on Ebay! It's lost to the world now. =(

Interest note, Gunner's Heaven was an area/town in Wild ARMs 3. Cool nod to one of their first games. =D

Huh? It seems to be plentiful on ebay...

Try leaving out the apostrophe when you search. It's "Gunners" not "Gunner's"

I got 3 words for you collector's out there.

King's Field, bitches.

jsk6yYw.jpg

Seriously though, they're slow and plodding and not without their faults, but these are the games that would eventually become or inspire the much lauded Demon's Souls/Dark Souls games and if you're a PS1 collector, these should at least be considered. I don't believe they're very costly either.

John Blade

There was a memory card that would plug into it too. Held like 60 memory cards in it and kept me from buying a ton of memory cards (multiple rpg saves for each game).

Heh...I got something better. A Interact DexDrive for the ps1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DexDrive

Basically you can transfer your save from your memory card onto the PC. This was great if you want to backup your save from your memory card onto the PC. Also, save a lot of money if you don't want to buy too many memory card for the PS1. Have mine for a very long time and still working even today.

Yuterald

Huh? It seems to be plentiful on ebay...

Try leaving out the apostrophe when you search. It's "Gunners" not "Gunner's"

Oh, fart! lol, now I see them! Well, I have a modded PS2 so I am importing this now. Game looks so choice!

I got 3 words for you collector's out there.

King's Field, bitches.

jsk6yYw.jpg

Seriously though, they're slow and plodding and not without their faults, but these are the games that would eventually become or inspire the much lauded Demon's Souls/Dark Souls games and if you're a PS1 collector, these should at least be considered. I don't believe they're very costly either.

I practically grew up with King's Field. My brother and I used to bring our PSone on family vacations to the beach and I have fond memories of playing King's Field II & III at the shore, lol! Been a fan of From for years. Wish they would make a proper KF title for PS4 instead of more Souls games. Oh well. =/

That demo disc sold me on a shit load of games. Though only a few were playable like Wipeout (it also had playable demos of Jumping Flash, Battle Arena Toshinden, and ESPN Extreme) but it sold me on games like Warhawk, Destruction Derby, and Twisted Metal. I played the ever loving shit out of that demo, and to this day I have fond memories of it.

I remember playing the hell out of Tekken on the demo disc.

IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE ARCADE!

ascii42

I remember playing the hell out of Tekken on the demo disc.

IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE ARCADE!

Mine was a later one. It came with Tekken 2. Which, yeah, totally played the hell out of. We later got Tekken 3 because of that demo. I think I bought several other games because of that disc as well, like Crash Bandicoot and 2Xtreme.

The link cable connected to the serial I/O port, not the parallel I/O port.

Oh you're right, I don't know how I got the two mixed up. I all honesty, I never did own an original PlayStation, instead I was one of those kids who chose a Sega Saturn over it. I had friends who used to hook up two PlayStations to the serial I/O ports and play games like C&C Red Alert and WipeOut on two different TV's and that was cool. But I never owned a PlayStation console until the PS2. I didn't start buying PS1 games until I had my PS2, and at that point in time PS1 games were so dirt cheap, that I could go down to the local used game stores and purchase a ton of titles for next to nothing. I also had an N64 as well, so for me it was N64 and Saturn.

Top Bottom