• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

dreamfall

I associate it with nothing but good memories.

I played a shit ton of Smackdown. Cover for nostalgia!

iHwc9rEn6uma0.jpg

And this was one of my favorites on the system, countless hours!

i4PDvdeN5pEBB.png

Teknoman

Monster Rancher and Dragon Seed.

Training and creating monsters from random CDs or Memory Card saves blew my mind. Especially Monster Rancher and the CDs. Would check out loads from the library just to see what monster "lived" deep within the disc data.

Did Sony ever put this to any good use?

parallel.jpg

Sidenote: There really should be a thread about Consoles & their expansion ports was The Gamecube the last console to have expansion ports? (besides USB ports & Harddrive slots)

gamecube_ports.jpg

The only official product to ever use the I/O port was the PlayStation link cable:

36092272381830073.jpg

Which would allow you to link up two Playstations for LAN like play. Looking at Wikipedia, the games that supported this feature where:

• Andretti Racing (2 to 4 players)
  • Armored Core
  • Armored Core: Project Phantasma
  • Armored Core: Master of Arena
  • Assault Rigs
  • Blast Radius
  • Bogey Dead 6
  • Burning Road
  • Bushido Blade
  • Bushido Blade 2
  • Car and Driver Presents Grand Tour Racing 98
  • CART World Series
  • Command & Conquer: Red Alert
  • Command & Conquer: Retaliation
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Descent
  • Descent Maximum
  • Destruction Derby
  • Doom
  • Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown
  • Final Doom
  • Formula 1
  • Formula 1 98
  • Dune 2000
  • Independence Day
  • Krazy Ivan
  • Monaco Grand Prix
  • R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 (2 to 4 players)
  • Red Asphalt (Rock N' Roll Racing 2)
  • Ridge Racer Revolution
  • Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed
  • Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012
  • San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing
  • Tales of Destiny 2
  • Test Drive 4
  • TOCA 2 Touring Cars
  • Trick'N Snowboarder
  • Wipeout
  • Wipeout 2097
  • Wipeout 3 Special Edition (2 to 4 players)
  • Wing Over

The only other device that used the I/O port was the Playstation version of the Gameshark, I think. Though there may have been a few other unlicensed products that used it as well that I might not be aware of.

As for the GameCube, the only port that was ever used was the high speed connection for the GBA player.

Psxphile

"I was just trying to cook a pizza!"

So how did Legaia 1 compare to the sequel? I only played the second game, and while I enjoyed it at the time, I was well aware that it was intensely mediocre.

Hm, I'll let someone else do the comparison. I played Legaia 2, but it was so terribly boring that I gave up at some point in the early game. Even now I only have vague impressions to go on, it was such a forgettable experience (I remember escaping a castle with the girl character in tow, and having to fight my way past some armored brute). It has very little in common with the first game besides the battle system. That should have been enough in my opinion, because Legaia's "Tactical Arts System" was pretty good! But the game was just... lackluster. I wish I could explain it better.

As for the GameCube, the only port that was ever used was the high speed connection for the GBA player.

the modem/ethernet adapter too in serial port 1.

crazy how many ps1 games used system link considering the barrier to entry. How would it even work for Tales of Destiny II? just for battles? such a late game too.

the modem/ethernet adapter too in serial port 1.

Oh you're right. I almost forgot that the Gamecube modem even existed in the first place. Did any game actually use it?

crazy how many ps1 games used system link considering the barrier to entry. How would it even work for Tales of Destiny II? just for battles? such a late game too.

The only game I have ever played using the system link was C&C: Red Alert, and it worked pretty well for the most part. Though the game did suffer from huge slowdown when too many units were on screen. Though it couldn't really beat playing the game on a PC using local modem play through the phone lines.

Dragon

Banned
6vBXF97.jpg

Started playing Wild Arms. Never actually beaten this game, despite having started it multiple times. Love the graphics and the music. This game still holds up really well.

And dat intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrDV6VksSRU

People crap on its sequel (the translation is pretty horrid) but I enjoy it a lot. I know this is a collection thread but they're both available on PSN as well.

Unfortunately I sold off my Suikoden I/II because I'm an idiot back in high school. Man those games were so good. Sony/Konami need to get II on PSN pronto. One of the best games I've ever played.

Glad to see someone has Kartia too. Really liked that game a ton.

cool thread. Sold off all but a few dozen PS1 games as I've made the switch to digital mainly, but what I've kept I still boot up every now and then.

Picture-1.jpg

Picture_3.jpg

Picture_5.jpg

Picture_7.jpg

Oh you're right. I almost forgot that the Gamecube modem even existed in the first place. Did any game actually use it?

1. Homeland - Online
  2. Phantasy Star Online I&II/Plus - Online
  3. Phantasy Star Online III - Online
  4. Mario Kart: Double Dash - LAN
  5. 1080 Avalanche - LAN
  6. Kirby Air Ride - LAN

but Homeland never came out of Japan. the small push for LAN was really odd.

hipgnosis

Unfortunately I sold off my Suikoden I/II because I'm an idiot back in high school. Man those games were so good. Sony/Konami need to get II on PSN pronto. One of the best games I've ever played.

Suikoden II is probably my second favorite game of all time just after Castlevania SOTN. Really should replay S2, so many great memories of that game. Man Konami was on a roll in the PS1 era.

Should I get the PAL version if I can't read Japanese?

A basic knowledge of Hiragana and Katakana would be preferred but I’d say just about anyone could muddle their way through the Japanese version with a little trial and error; it’s certainly not the most complex of games. Easy to follow diagram of the controls are even included with the manual.

Terra

The only game I have ever played using the system link was C&C: Red Alert, and it worked pretty well for the most part. Though the game did suffer from huge slowdown when too many units were on screen. Though it couldn't really beat playing the game on a PC using local modem play through the phone lines.

Taking a trip down memory lane here. Remember me and my friends played hours of Red Alert for PS1, one TV behind the sofa, so the other one could not watch. It was so much fun. Remember the huge slowdown though! :)

Not to point out your avatar, but if you like Pokemon, i'm sure some of the more non-mainstream JRPGs on the system would appeal to you. Stuff like Jade Cocoon.
I remember reading about Jade Cocoon in an old Australian PS1 games magazine. I saw it and thought "why would I want this when I already have Pokémon Yellow" (I was around 10 years old)

Also, for the rest of you, apparently Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story are quite good as they're not typical JRPGs. How accurate is that? (and also approximately how much money am I going to have to shell out to get either of these in Australia)

EDIT: I got one of these with Crash 3. I found it just this afternoon. This isn't rare.

I live in Germany, so it was a hassle to buy US or JP imports.
But I didn't like (and still don't like) PAL versions of PSOne games.
I don't regret paying way too much money for some games, because I only have good memories about the PSOne.

This is my collection (sorry for the crappy pics):

Some games like Strider 2, Tron Bonne or Wild Arms 2 are still missing in my collection, but I can't find them for a reasonable price.

The PS1 was the most used appliance in my house/apartment/wherever I was living from 1996-2001. At one point, I lived in a 3 bedroom house with 4 other people, and those 4 people almost always had friends over, and the TV/PS1 were almost always in the living room (By my bedroom) or IN my bedroom, so the sounds of that thing going constantly is basically the soundtrack to my post-highschool years.

There weren't a lot of games we owned for the thing. But the games we had got played pretty much non-stop

I specifically remember nights where I would try to sleep with a roommate/friend in my room, wearing headphones, playing Tenchu in my tiny ass room - space heater going full blast, TV glowing, and hissing Ninja noises leaking out of the headphones and into my dreams.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I specifically remember nights where I would try to sleep with a roommate/friend in my room, wearing headphones, playing Tenchu in my tiny ass room - space heater going full blast, TV glowing, and hissing Ninja noises leaking out of the headphones and into my dreams.

I... I'm there man....

Do the Tenchu games hold up pretty well today? I enjoy Metal Gear and the first three Splinter Cell games, so I could always go for more stealth games.

Nestunt

I have a PS2

no PS2 games

but some PSone games

that says a lot of testing time

(at least for me who cares more about gameplay than graphics)

hipgnosis

An overlooked Zelda-type classic from Psygnosis (And great music)

o8LIsUM.jpg

I saw this game in my local game shop the other day. Almost bought it but after a consideration I chose not to (I had already bought Um Jammer so I decided to spare).

So should I still grab this game? Is it a linear adventure or open like 3D Zeldas?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
PS1 games are the best reason to own a PSP or Vita. I don't mean that as a troll, its just great to be able to play a lot of those games wherever I go.

NekoFever

Funny that this thread should come up now because I've been working on my PS1 collection recently. I had an N64 back in the day and only got one with a couple of games when the PSone came out, but in the last couple of months I've been working on replacing my PAL games with NTSC versions and getting a lot of the classics.

This is what I have right now:

BeatMania (PAL)
Chrono Cross (US)
Final Fantasy VII (US)
Final Fantasy VIII (US)
Final Fantasy IX (US)
Front Mission 3 (US)
Grandia (US)
Metal Gear Solid (US)
PaRappa The Rapper (PAL)
Resident Evil: Director’s Cut (US)
Resident Evil 2 (US)
Ridge Racer Type 4 (PAL)
Silent Hill (US)
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 (PAL)
Vagrant Story (US)
Xenogears (US)

I'm not willing to spend the money on the really rare stuff but I'm in the market for US copies of the remaining PAL games and a handful of other games like Symphony of the Night, Resident Evil 3, Alundra, and pretty much any Square games that pop up.

The PS1 market doesn't seem to be particularly hot at the moment, which makes it a good time for me to be buying. NTSC stuff on eBay UK doesn't get a lot of interest, so I've got stuff for less than the going rate quite often.

Activision really needs to consider putting those Spider-Man PS1 games on the PSN. Those games were sooooo good. Best Spider-Man games. They would make tons of $$$$$$$$$$. I really don't understand why they haven't been released yet.

Also Mortal Kombat Trilogy needs a rerelease.

jett

D-Member
No mention of Brave Fencer Musashi yet?

256px-Brave_Fencer_Musashi.jpg

A PS1 classic, back when Squaresoft existed and still released original IPs. Zelda inspired but with a bigger emphasis on action and platforming, that I remember. Super charming characters too, with fitting Saturday morning cartoon quality voice acting.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ps1games_zps8ad3ac47.jpg

blasto
marvel super heroes
jet moto
jet moto 2
g-police weapons of justice
mdk
fade to black
wipeout
hi octane
colony wars
colony wars vengence
star wars dark forces
blood omen legacy of kain
darkstone
spyro the dragon
spyro 2
spyro year of the dragon
uprising x
chrono cross
armored core
armored core project phantasma
parasite eve
perfect weapon
star wars masters of teras kasi
furture cop l.a.p.d.
40 winks
shadow tower
legend of mana
dino crisis 2
theme park
monkey hero
front missio 3
apocalypse
street fighter alpha 3
bubsy 3d
doom
vigilante 8
final fantasy 8
bushido blade
brave fencer musashi
skull monkies
parappa the rapper
legacy of war
loaded
medievil
medievil 2
resident evil 3
legacy of kain soul reaver
wild 9
oddworld abes exoddus
oddworld abes oddysee
crash bandicoot warped
resident evil directors cut
twisted metal 2
twisted metal 3
nfl blitz
soul blade
spider
nightmare creatures
tenchu 2
megaman 8
g-police
fear effect
fear effect 2
twisted metal 4
tenchu stealth assasins
bushido blade 2
ape escape
bomberman world
final fantasy 9
twisted metal small brawl
metal slug x
metal gear solid vr missions
jumping flash 2
dino crisis
reloaded
rayman
one piece mansion
kings field
star gladiator
rampage world tour
twisted metal
soviet strike
rampage universal tour
megaman x4
megaman legends
crash bandicoot 2
crash bandicoot
castlevania symphony of the night
castlevania chronicles
resident evil 2
metal gear solid
megaman x6
megaman x5
battle arena toshinden
descent
jumping flash
revolution x

jp games
strider 1&2
rockman x5
biohazzard gun survivor
cyberbots
tobal 2
vampire hunter d
castlevania symphony of the night collectors edition
king of fighters kyo
dragonball final bout
dragonball z ultamate battle 22
bustamove
bustamove 2
ddr 2nd mix
macross vf x2
asuka 120% burning fest. excellent
advanced v.g. 2

Wasp

And this was one of my favorites on the system, countless hours!

i4PDvdeN5pEBB.png
CTR is easily my favourite racing game of all time. There was so much depth for a karting game.

Lets take the humble shield power-up for example. Here's a few ways in which it could be used.

• As a shield obviously.
  • As a projectile weapon by throwing it forward.
  • As a close range weapon by ramming into nearby opponents.
  • As a shortcut opener by throwing it at a shortcut door.
  • As a power-up collector by launching it at a crate.

Of course you had to make a gamble as to whether to keep using it as a shield or use it as one of its other functions. I've never been hugely fluent in any of the Mario Karts but I don't think any of them have that level of depth.

while ps2 had more depth to its library the ps1 has a special something about it. game design culture was markedly different that generation than in the one following.

the year 2000 on playstation in north america was just staggering,

-final fantasy ix
-chrono cross
-vagrant story
-breath of fire iv
-dino crisis 2
-persona 2
-tenchu 2
-fear effect
-syphon filter 2
-megaman legends 2
-valkyrie profile
-spiderman
-strider 2
-legend of mana
-silent bomber
-front mission 3
-tomba 2
-ace combat 3
-lunar 2
-threads of fate
-jackie chan's stuntmaster

unbelievable

square released 6 games that year, how in the hell

Maxim726X

Holy shit... Brigandine is a rare game?

Interesting. I remember it releasing to absolutely terrible reviews. I thought it was awesome, though... I still play it occasionally.

Putty

An industry friend of mine went to Japan for the launch to get a couple. Must of been one of the first people in the UK to have one. £750 plus £450 on a new 24" Sony Trinitron! People who saw it were just blown away. I only got Toshinden, but Ridge Racer followed soon after. Wonderful time to be a gamer back then. Great memories.

Teknoman

I remember reading about Jade Cocoon in an old Australian PS1 games magazine. I saw it and thought "why would I want this when I already have Pokémon Yellow" (I was around 10 years old)

Also, for the rest of you, apparently Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story are quite good as they're not typical JRPGs. How accurate is that? (and also approximately how much money am I going to have to shell out to get either of these in Australia)

EDIT: I got one of these with Crash 3. I found it just this afternoon. This isn't rare.

lol yeah everyone on Ebay thinks anything game related is rare.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
while ps2 had more depth to its library the ps1 has a special something about it. game design culture was markedly different that generation than in the one following.

the year 2000 on playstation in north america was just staggering,

I'm kinda torn between whether I like the PS1 or PS2 better, but I'm leaning more towards the PS1 these days. The PS2 definitely had more games, and it did action games far better than the PS1 did, but the PS1 had heart. The PS2 was where we really saw the transition towards turning games into cinematic experiences whereas PS1 games were still straight-up... well, games. Even the original Metal Gear Solid felt comparatively economical with its words.

I also think the PS1 era benefited from taking place in a post-Evangelion world. Eva, along with a bunch of other '90s anime, clearly had a profound impact on the games that were coming out, and I loved that. So many of Square's RPGs felt really bleak and had this sense of ennui about them, which was something that we never had in the SNES generation, and lost once the PS2 came around.

And while I think this last thing might have been more specific to me, one of my favorite things about the PS1 that the PS2 didn't have was the mystique about the games, especially the imports. Obviously, the internet was just starting to awaken to itself in the mid '90s, so one's ability to dig up information on games was limited. You'd buy an issue of EGM or Gamefan, and there'd always be these crazy Japanese games that you'd never heard of that all looked really cool. My favorite part of these magazines became the Game Cave advertisements in the back, because that's where I'd see all this stuff. It was awesome.

But, by the time the PS2 rolled around, that culture had kinda dissipated. And while there are obviously quite a few good PS2 imports, they weren't necessarily as numerous or interesting as what came before.

In 2006, I was at a GameStop, and a dude was trying to trade in a PS1 game. At that time, GameStop had stopped accepting PS1 games, so he gave it to me. The game he gave me was Suikoden. I've heard its 'worth monies' ... is that true?

Dereck

In 2006, I was at a GameStop, and a dude was trying to trade in a PS1 game. At that time, GameStop had stopped accepting PS1 games, so he gave it to me. The game he gave me was Suikoden. I've heard its 'worth monies' ... is that true?
This question reads like you still have the game, do you?

Also Mortal Kombat Trilogy needs a rerelease.
I feel like I'm the only person who wants this shit. N64 controller sucks for it, PS1 version's load times are annoying. I've wanted this instead of UMK3 for like 5 years now.

Rezae

I'm kinda torn between whether I like the PS1 or PS2 better, but I'm leaning more towards the PS1 these days. The PS2 definitely had more games, and it did action games far better than the PS1 did, but the PS1 had heart. The PS2 was where we really saw the transition towards turning games into cinematic experiences whereas PS1 games were still straight-up... well, games. Even the original Metal Gear Solid felt comparatively economical with its words.

I feel pretty much the same way. I can objectively say that the PS2 probably had the greatest software line-up ever seen on a console, due to its dominance. However looking back at top 100 lists and my own collection, I feel very little draw to the majority of the popular PS2 titles. PS1 lists (and this thread especially with all its screenshots) feels TOTALLY different. Maybe a bit less mature, maybe a bit more exciting. Maybe a bit more nostalgia. Can't really put my finger on it.

I'm thinking part of it is due to it being the most extreme change in gaming at the time for those of us who were raised in the 80's and early 90's and then this polygon pushing machine came out. That, and there really doesn't seem like a huge difference in the general core gameplay of PS2 to PS3 games. PS1 had a lot of experimentation and TONS of IPs(namely from Sony and Square) that were great yet never really materialized later.

I have no desire to collect PS2 games but PS1 just has a special charm about it, as rude as the graphics may look today.

Top Bottom