• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Appreciation & Celebration Thread, long live the King!

Yuterald

I just booted up my PS2 last night with component cables equipped on my recently purchased Sony Trinitron, Ace Combat 4 in the tray, TV set to 16:9 aspect ratio, and Ace Combat 4's 16:9 option enabled...

no+going+back.jpg

So, i have these component cables that have multiple inputs (outputs?)...basically they're the kind that work on wii, ps2 and 360. Any downside to this? I mean, would ones made specifically just for ps2 work better?

So, i have these component cables that have multiple inputs (outputs?)...basically they're the kind that work on wii, ps2 and 360. Any downside to this? I mean, would ones made specifically just for ps2 work better?

They should be fine as long as the cable is high quality. I don't know of any technical reason why they'd be bad.

Thinking about picking this up. Should I got PS2 or Xbox?

As a rule of thumb, the Xbox version is usually better, but the PS2 version suffices if it is cheaper. I had a friend who liked it on PS2, but don't hold me or him to that.

AshiusX

Banned
People hundreds of years from now will ask what is the best gaming console of all times a historian will reply "In this age, in past ages, in any age, Playstation 2."

They might be good, might not. I have had some third party cables that were almost not even worth using since the quality was so bad.
Myself, I have since always tried to go for official ones, but there's not really any reason why all third party ones would be bad.

So yeah, if it looks okay to you, they're probably okay.

Tenrius

What's the name of this little plastic black thing holding the side of the disk? I came to a conclusion that most of my disk starting issues are caused by it, have to readjust it a bit when I have a problem starting something up.

I have 3 PS2s. One slim that is in my entertainment center and 2 phats. One phat has a new laser and is put up for safe keeping. The other phat is my FFXI machine. However, I am not currently subbed and the new expasion isn't coming to it so its about to be put up with the other phat.

This is one of my favorite systems. Here is the latest image of my collection (minus the Sakura Wars CE and Devil Summoner CE that is in the gameroom display.

Just finished Persona 4, and I got Disgaea 1 in the mail; never played the series.

I swear to god I can play this system forever.

EDIT: Though I admit I would move mountains to play Persona 5. So buying a new piece of hardware wouldn't be so terrible.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
As I'm trying to complete my Wii and last gen system collections (though Wii is basically last gen, so whatevs), I put together lists of what I need for the various last gen systems. I've got like 30 games to get on my PS2 list... which is more than I even own for the thing right now, so yeah, my collection is currently as pathetic as I surmised. I literally don't even know where to start.

Just finished Persona 4, and I got Disgaea 1 in the mail; never played the series.

I swear to god I can play this system forever.

EDIT: Though I admit I would move mountains to play Persona 5. So buying a new piece of hardware wouldn't be so terrible.

Half or more of those games in my picture are still sealed man. Between work, social life and current gen I think I'll be 60 by the time i finish my PS2 backlog (which is still growing - I just got Druaga new today in the mail).

A friend came over to play games all day today and we broke out NFL 2K5 at some point..
Man, that game still has it. It's fantastic. And I'm British and don't know anything about NFL.

Damaniel

Banned
Half or more of those games in my picture are still sealed man. Between work, social life and current gen I think I'll be 60 by the time i finish my PS2 backlog (which is still growing - I just got Druaga new today in the mail).

I loved Druaga, though I'm probably one of the few people around who actually did.

I could probably game for the rest of my life on PS2 backlog alone, but my PS3/360/PC backlogs won't let me...

Xisiqomelir

GAF probably knows I generally dislike this console, despite it being the only one I bought of the three competitors.

Vanillaware (OP has good taste including GrimGrim) and Platinum Games really helped to make the generation not a complete waste, though.

I nominate these games for inclusion in the OP:

Odin Sphere:

250px-Odinssphere.png
Rage+Quitter+-+Odin+Sphere+-+Gwen+Dragon.jpg

Okami:

okami_cover_original.jpg
1856.okami_2D00_ps2.jpg

tav7623

I'm starting to find some interesting games through Gamestop's PS2 b2g1f sale, I recently found & bought Cold Fear, Legacy of Kain: Defiance, Siren, Splinter Cell, RE: Code Veronica X, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Arkam

Loved my PS2 for years.
Bought it just for GT3. Was so worth it. Oh and it played DVDs, which was huge at the time. In fact I bought the first party remote w/ IR dongle and used it as my main dvd player for way too many years :p

The thing had a great librabry of games and was the home of such game changers as GTA3 . Still to this day so many games I have on my backlog to play. My only gripe with the console was teh load times and only having two controller inputs. Since I also had a GameCube it was much more pronounced. But honestly if those were my only major complaints, i think it was great console to own as a gamer. I

Wait, which PS2 do you have? My previous post assumes you own the original model. That AC Adapter you linked will not work on a "fat" SCPH 3000 series.

ascii42

The PS2 over its lifespan used two similar cords. I could be wrong, but I think the bottom cord will fit into where the top one is expected.
xboxpower2.jpg

2-prong-wall-power-cord-for-sony-ps2-playstation-ps3-slim-vervhs-cd-dvd-disc-player-boomboxvaio-pcga-ac16v6-ac-adapterasus-eee-pc-toshiba-laptop-notebooktechnics-panasonic-sony-jvcbdp-bx1-blu-ray-dvd-player-epson-cx4800-cx5000-c120-r280-cx7400-cx7450-nx40_4444_500.jpg

IrishNinja

^yup, mine's a (modded) fatty that needs that double bit on the cord. really upsetting since i normally have no troubles finding my cables like this, i think the same friend that kinda jacked my last component might've gotten the ac too, but it'd likely be easier to just find a replacement at this point.

Yuterald

About Silent hill 2, is Restless dreams on Xbox, that much better than the ps2?

I believe it runs better (may look "better", but don't quote me on that), but the additional content that was found in the XBOX release was later added to the Greatest Hits version on the PS2. I personally don't think it feels right playing Silent Hill (or Metal Gear Solid 2) on an XBOX. I'm definitely one of those guys who likes to play games on the formats/systems they originated on. So, unless you're some crazy Silent Hill fan that has to own every version of every game I'd say just go for the GH copy. I own both the original black label SH2 and the GH, actually. =D

As I'm trying to complete my Wii and last gen system collections (though Wii is basically last gen, so whatevs), I put together lists of what I need for the various last gen systems. I've got like 30 games to get on my PS2 list... which is more than I even own for the thing right now, so yeah, my collection is currently as pathetic as I surmised. I literally don't even know where to start.

Man, I wouldn't know where to start either in your position. I've been building a PS2 collection for what seems like 10+ years. My collection has been through a lot too, including a house fire! I own about 200+ games, but I'm in no way a collector who just collects for the sake of having a large collection. I only bought stuff that I was interested in. I'd say a good way to start is to pick your favorite genre and research/purchase from there. I have nearly a complete RPG collection for PS2 because I spent a year or so only focusing on that side of my collection. Which reminds me, I gotta post a picture of my collection in this thread at some point. It's nearly finished.

Yes Boss!

The PS2 over its lifespan used two similar cords. I could be wrong, but I think the bottom cord will fit into where the top one is expected.
xboxpower2.jpg

2-prong-wall-power-cord-for-sony-ps2-playstation-ps3-slim-vervhs-cd-dvd-disc-player-boomboxvaio-pcga-ac16v6-ac-adapterasus-eee-pc-toshiba-laptop-notebooktechnics-panasonic-sony-jvcbdp-bx1-blu-ray-dvd-player-epson-cx4800-cx5000-c120-r280-cx7400-cx7450-nx40_4444_500.jpg

I've got so many of these cables. The top one I just don't use as the bottom works in all situations, including the DC.

Teknoman

I believe it runs better (may look "better", but don't quote me on that), but the additional content that was found in the XBOX release was later added to the Greatest Hits version on the PS2. I personally don't think it feels right playing Silent Hill (or Metal Gear Solid 2) on an XBOX. I'm definitely one of those guys who likes to play games on the formats/systems they originated on. So, unless you're some crazy Silent Hill fan that has to own every version of every game I'd say just go for the GH copy. I own both the original black label SH2 and the GH, actually. =D

Man, I wouldn't know where to start either in your position. I've been building a PS2 collection for what seems like 10+ years. My collection has been through a lot too, including a house fire! I own about 200+ games, but I'm in no way a collector who just collects for the sake of having a large collection. I only bought stuff that I was interested in. I'd say a good way to start is to pick your favorite genre and research/purchase from there. I have nearly a complete RPG collection for PS2 because I spent a year or so only focusing on that side of my collection. Which reminds me, I gotta post a picture of my collection in this thread at some point. It's nearly finished.

Whatever you do, make sure to play your copy of Restless Dreams on an original Xbox and not a BC 360.

http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=sh2360

Just wondering since I happened on a copy the other day for like 6 bucks. I havent played SH2 in awhile, and was going to do a series playthrough before the summer was over with (1-3...maybe 4). Definitely going to use an original Xbox after checking that out. I've still got my PS2 copy, but never knew that about the greatest hits version. I can deal with the Xbox S controller for Silent Hill 2 if its the best looking console version.

I'm usually the same way about game series unless it cant be helped/the other system has the "definitive" version.

Teknoman

Wait...muted sound? Bah I cant play SH2 with quiet sounding music... After reading that horror article, it seems like the problem occurs even on Xbox 1 hardware?

I'm playing Ratchet & Clank for the first time...wow this game is beautiful!

There's things that annoy me about the game, like the camera getting stuck on walls behind me, how slippery Ratchet is on narrow paths and lack of a lock-on button but most of those nitpicks are coming from modern sensibilities. I've played the ps3 ones so I know they eventually "perfect" all that by then, but I'm just hoping at least a lock-on option is in the next ps2 sequel cuz shooting at enemies here isnt as much fun as it should be.

Still, this is a solid, fun, first effort.

I've been looking for a cheap copy of Robot Alchemic Drive for years now. Of course, the price kind of blew up back in November so I told myself that if I ran across a reasonably priced complete copy that I have to pick it up. Somehow, I ran into two copies today. One was disc only and the other was complete, thankfully.

#287 - RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive

xg4ZNbil.jpg

I've been looking for a cheap copy of Robot Alchemic Drive for years now. Of course, the price kind of blew up back in November so I told myself that if I ran across a reasonably priced complete copy that I have to pick it up. Somehow, I ran into two copies today. One was disc only and the other was complete, thankfully.

#287 - RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive

xg4ZNbil.jpg

Nice, I need to pick that one up.

Picked up some stuff on clearance today.

I'm currently going to grad school at the University of Kentucky, so I thought it might be fitting to pick up the US Gallop Racer games considering that I'm in the heart of horse country. I've spent the past few months picking up the games for cheap and Gallop Racer 2004 was the last one that I needed...or at least, I thought it was the last one I needed.

Turns out that I thought I had a copy of the original PS1 game, but I guess I just imagined buying it. Luckily, Amazon saved the day, so hopefully I'll have my little GR collection complete by Friday.

#288 - Ruff Trigger: The Vanocore Conspiracy
#289 - Woody Woodpecker
#290 - Gallop Racer 2004
#291 - Resident Evil: Dead Aim

umVCgvQl.jpg

kaiju

These might be terrible games idk, but I love obscure shit and I've never heard of any of these before. For a few bucks each I'll take the chance.

ps1009_zps687c8656.jpg

Top Bottom