• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Appreciation & Celebration Thread, long live the King!

Anyone know if this component cable should be good for PS2?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005MDZD/?tag=neogaf0e-20

trying to decide if I should get this or go for the more expensive official Sony ones.

I've bought that exact cable before (Amazon tells you with an order summary on the page) and I never had a single issue with them. I have the official cables too and they're identical in every way.

If you need something more durable, get the Monoprice brand. I'm turning into a shill for them but by golly I stand by that quality.

Anyone else think now is the time to be collecting PS2 games? (If you haven't already.) Mainstream places like GameStop no longer carry them, but they're abundant in other second hand stores and Craigslist, and nostalgia hasn't kicked in to inflate the prices yet.

IrishNinja

i thought certain gamestops still carried em? i was still hoping for a big clearance like the 75% off they gave GC titles, last i checked it was just B2G1 on them

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Anyone else think now is the time to be collecting PS2 games? (If you haven't already.) Mainstream places like GameStop no longer carry them, but they're abundant in other second hand stores and Craigslist, and nostalgia hasn't kicked in to inflate the prices yet.

Now is absolutely the time to pick up PS2 games. As well as the games from other systems in Gen. 6. Really, I don't think the prices are going to get much cheaper than they are now, but games will begin disappearing and becoming much more expensive in the coming years. A few games are around the $100 for a sealed copy, but there's no Suikoden II or Valkyire Profile yet.

IrishNinja

yeah, most aren't too expensive yet....post your want lists! here's mine:

Suikoden 4
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1-2 (hopefully in the box set)
Devil Summoner 2 w/plush
GrimGrimoire
Fatal Frame 1
Silent Hill 2/3 (sold em for HD collection...)
Punisher
Def Jam Vendetta
Haunting Ground
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Hulk Ultimate Destruction
Drakengard 1/2

i think the DS2 LE is prolly the only expensive-ish one i can think of offhand

Daouzin

I've been looking for a cheap copy of Robot Alchemic Drive for years now. Of course, the price kind of blew up back in November so I told myself that if I ran across a reasonably priced complete copy that I have to pick it up. Somehow, I ran into two copies today. One was disc only and the other was complete, thankfully.

#287 - RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive

xg4ZNbil.jpg

I'm sooooo jealous, I've been waiting for a cheap copy as well.

I hate you and appreciate your discovery at the same time.

IrishNinja

still gotta find a pair of official sony PS2 component cables since a local bum lost mine - found these for $20 on ebay, anyone know another spot that might be cheaper?

Yes Boss!

Is there a big difference between official cables and a decent generic one?

I actually have a couple pair...some official, some not. They basically function the same and I've never had any issues. None of mine have the fancy post-psp silver-style plugs but quality on the generic even is quite good.

Is there a big difference between official cables and a decent generic one?

I actually have a couple pair...some official, some not. They basically function the same and I've never had any issues. None of mine have the fancy post-psp silver-style plugs but quality on the generic even is quite good.
That's what I figure. It's mainly just true collectors and completists who after this stuff, right? I've always thought a cable was a cable, so long as its not an insanely cheap knock off.

That's what I figure. It's mainly just true collectors and completists who after this stuff, right? I've always thought a cable was a cable, so long as its not an insanely cheap knock off.

AFAIK cable quality does matter (re: signal degradation, etc) when dealing with analog signals like component or VGA. On the other hand, you can be way more lax with cable quality when it comes to digital stuff like DVI and HDMI.

PureGone

Banned
My PS2 Games Backlog/Wishlist:

Freedom Fighters
Killer 7
GTA SA
Spider-Man 2
Ultimate Spider-Man
Final Fantasy XII
Wild Arms 3
God Hand
Duex Ex
Persona 3 FES
Red Faction
Red Faction 2
Maximo
War of the Monsters
Disgaea
Dark Cloud
Simpsons Hit and Run
ONI
SSX Tricky
Rule of Rose
Raw Danger
Gregory Horror Show
Fata Frame
Michigan: Report from Hell
Ghosthunter
King's Field
Curse of Darkness
Grim Grimoire
Indigo Prophecy
The Warriors
Mark of Kri
Phyconauts
Rez
Beyond Good and Evil
Dragon Quest VIII
Prince of Persia
Silent Hill 2
Shadow of Rome
Xiii
Jet Moto
Sakura Wars
No One Lives Forever
Winback
Shadow Hearts 1 and 2
Lord of the Rings: 2 towers
Lord of the Rings: ROK
Shadow of Memories
Steambot Chronicles
Draken
.Hack Infection
The getaway

IrishNinja

AFAIK cable quality does matter (re: signal degradation, etc) when dealing with analog signals like component or VGA. On the other hand, you can be way more lax with cable quality when it comes to digital stuff like DVI and HDMI.

see i wasn't expecting any trouble, but again: when plugged into the TV, this pair works fine; in the XRGB, the image bounces around the screen and it's no good. really getting salty that i lent my older pair out to a friend who then lent them out & proceeded to lose them, as i've wanted to play some PS1/2 games upscaled recently.

tav7623

My current PS2 wishlist consists of 6 games, mainly because I already have most of the games I want for the system.

Silent Hill 3
Mega Man X Collection
Tekken Tag Tournament
Ultimate Spider-Man (Venom variant cover)
Timesplitters 2

Zalman

Man, PS2 was such a great machine, but I actually don't own a single game for it anymore. Why? Well, everything I liked on the PS2 now has an HD collection on the PS3, so I don't see a reason to keep my PS2 around. That said, it's really an awesome system regardless.

Teknoman

So those of you with Gamestops nearby...its that time again. Everything preowned PS2 is 75% off. The same clearance thing they had with Gamecube a year or so back.

I say we band together and see if we can snag games for others. So if anyone has anything they might be looking for, I guess post here.

Basically the idea is to grab the game for cheap, and then ship it to whoever needs it (and i'm sure they wouldnt be opposed to paying for shipping if necessary).

Personally, i'm still looking for any Wild Arms games, any Xenosaga games, Ape Escape 2, Grandia Xtreme, Unlimited SaGa and Dawn of Mana (thats right).

Yea, I loved and miss my old PS2.

Ape Escape 2 & 3 were fantastic. It was the generation that introduced me to the wonderful Ratchet & Clank series.

But Haven is still one of my biggest Disappointments. Great game, but then it just ends, unresolved and unloved. It ended in a way that it was obviously supposed to have a sequel, but one never came.

Found a brand new see-through grey/white controller at the local game shop the other day. Dirt cheap too. Can't wait to really start building out my catalogue in the next few years while everything bottoms out.

FourMyle

Psy-ops was such a damn good game. A little on the short side but god damn did me and my brother have a ton of fun playing that game.

IrishNinja

So those of you with Gamestops nearby...its that time again. Everything preowned PS2 is 75% off. The same clearance thing they had with Gamecube a year or so back.

I say we band together and see if we can snag games for others. So if anyone has anything they might be looking for, I guess post here.

Basically the idea is to grab the game for cheap, and then ship it to whoever needs it (and i'm sure they wouldnt be opposed to paying for shipping if necessary).

Personally, i'm still looking for any Wild Arms games, any Xenosaga games, Ape Escape 2, Grandia Xtreme, Unlimited SaGa and Dawn of Mana (thats right).

SHIT YEAH i been waiting! ill make a note of those games m'man

my list:

Stretch Panic (it should be like a quarter if it's near you! it's Treasure so i gotta try it...)
Cookie & Cream
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
PaRappa 2
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
Punisher
Def Jam Vendetta
Haunting Ground
Drakengard 1/2
Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
Way of the Samurai 2
Victorious Boxers 1-2
Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure
Ultimate Spider-Man
Silent Hill Origins
GunGrave
Gradius III & IV
Alien Hominid

if anyone sees em cheap, ill get you back! cases are nice but i honestly don't care & can print em out anyway, long as it plays. most should be no more than $5 right now, i put a few hold requests in but we'll see what comes of em...

Mzo

Got a cheap, white import PS2 to finally have an easy way to play my Japanese PS1 and PS2 games.

The Sega Ages 2500 series is fantastic. The Gunstar Treasure Box has the World and J versions of the three main games. It's wonderful.

Teknoman

I might have you covered on DDS2 and possibly Shaolin Monks. I know i've seen Get on da mic.

Gonna put mine in actual list too:

Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms Alter Code F
Xenosaga 1-3
Radiata Stories
Ape Escape 2
Odin Sphere
SMT Devil Summoner (Raidou) series
Raiden 3
Dawn of Mana
Unlimited SaGa
Grandia Xtreme and Grandia III
Blood will tell
Mega Man X8
Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked

EDIT: Not bothered by original case or even manual. And yup they range about 2-5 bucks now.

Got a cheap, white import PS2 to finally have an easy way to play my Japanese PS1 and PS2 games.

The Sega Ages 2500 series is fantastic. The Gunstar Treasure Box has the World and J versions of the three main games. It's wonderful.

Nice, I've been trying to score a cheap NTSC-J PS2 for a while now but shipping costs always kill it for me. If I can ever find one for total price $100 or less shipped, I'd bite.

IrishNinja

awesome tekno! im lookin into DDS tomorrow i think, no dice on shaolin out here

Gonna put mine in actual list too:

do you want them to be complete/in box? one of the nearby shops says Xenosaga ep 1 might be available, was gonna check soon. not much on the others though, i think one showed up but it was a few cities away sadly

krrrt

My fat PS2 is dying, sadly. But I have a slim to replace it.

What is the best way to make a PAL slim PS2 play PSone and PS2 imports? I have a few games from a different region, but the console to play them on is my brother's. I also don't have the space necessary for multiple PS2s.

Teknoman

awesome tekno! im lookin into DDS tomorrow i think, no dice on shaolin out here

do you want them to be complete/in box? one of the nearby shops says Xenosaga ep 1 might be available, was gonna check soon. not much on the others though, i think one showed up but it was a few cities away sadly

Doesnt matter to me. Would be nice though. Got DDS2 for you today, and an extra Maximo 1, plus some other stuff. But gotta check to see if they work.

We had a Dawn of Mana, Shaolin Monks, and Disgaea apparently...but either someone bought them or they are just missing. Persona 3 FES case was there too, but the games werent.

So is there a lag concerning backwards compatible PS3 games on an HDTV or did I just suddenly get terrible at Tony Hawk 3?
Yes, any PS1 or PS2 games played on a PS3 over HDMI has input lag. The PS3 is converting an interlaced source to a progressive display. The only real cure is either an xrgb type device or to simply use component cables and output at 1080i. However, the PS3 does not have a scaler for games that aren't native 1080i, so most PS3 games will look shit at 1080i. I was using component to play some PS1 games (both disc and digital) but my PS3 games looked too weird so I switched back. It's a real bummer. For all intents and purposes at a serious level of play, BC on the PS3 is very broken. Only turned based RPGs really work.

IrishNinja

picked up like 20 games or so on a trip with local gaffers bishopcruz & gunsmithx, 2 nearby gamestops letting go of their PS2 inventory for 75% of a base price of typically less than $5, with a few exceptions. only 4 had cases but ill print covers & use extra DVD ones, totally worth it since i lucked out with working copies in good condition for all! my list just got a lot thinner, but i obviously wasn't the first one there.

Tekno, i got you Xenosaga Ep 1 (loose). also, do any gaffers want Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (loose), or Persona 3 FES/4 (both complete)? local GS had em on the cheap but they won't for much longer, shipping em off to no man's land (Hialeah) soon, wasn't sure if anyone wanted em though!

*edit: likewise, could any generous souls check my post here for any cheap copies near them? 75% off won't show until you go to ring it up, but i'll totally paypal anyone who can grab some of em for the cost + shipping!

Teknoman

I really like Vanillaware art and Sakimoto is the best...but I dont really like RTS gameplay, so you can have Grim Grimoire too.

EDIT: C'mon GAF, throw off that disdain for Gamestop and snag those PS2 games!

Because of Gaikai they will never do it, but man I still dream about a

new PS2, with HDMI out, Dualshock 3 and 4 compatibility, a small HDD and PSN connectivity...

Would buy instantly.

Yes, any PS1 or PS2 games played on a PS3 over HDMI has input lag. The PS3 is converting an interlaced source to a progressive display. The only real cure is either an xrgb type device or to simply use component cables and output at 1080i. However, the PS3 does not have a scaler for games that aren't native 1080i, so most PS3 games will look shit at 1080i. I was using component to play some PS1 games (both disc and digital) but my PS3 games looked too weird so I switched back. It's a real bummer. For all intents and purposes at a serious level of play, BC on the PS3 is very broken. Only turned based RPGs really work.

I remember playing FFXI on the PS3 >.<

The lag would be about a 1-2 sec delay.

IrishNinja

^awesome avatar!

made the rounds this morning (surprised to see more gaffers not jumping in, should we do a thread for this sale? i might get it going tonight), it's very YMMV as some places would bring out the rows of discs in yellow sleeves, others would only go look for what i'd determined they had online. one guy offered to order stuff from the store that wasn't for sale on the site, didn't know that was an option.

i must've grabbed another few dozen discs, all of which seem to be working fine so far. also, Teknoman - i picked you up:

Xenosaga 1+2
Unlimited SaGa

few other discs for local friends too, several places said they're in the process of clearing them out & sending to a few select stores to keep them until they go to the warehouses & die.

Teknoman

^awesome avatar!

made the rounds this morning (surprised to see more gaffers not jumping in, should we do a thread for this sale? i might get it going tonight), it's very YMMV as some places would bring out the rows of discs in yellow sleeves, others would only go look for what i'd determined they had online. one guy offered to order stuff from the store that wasn't for sale on the site, didn't know that was an option.

i must've grabbed another few dozen discs, all of which seem to be working fine so far. also, Teknoman - i picked you up:

Xenosaga 1+2
Unlimited SaGa

few other discs for local friends too, several places said they're in the process of clearing them out & sending to a few select stores to keep them until they go to the warehouses & die.

Awesome, and yeah a thread would count as news imo. I mean this is Circuit City clearance level stuff. I dont think a GC or GBA clearance thread was posted, but it would be nice to save these.

Would anyone want Jak and Daxter the lost frontier or Maximo Ghosts to Glory? Also I got the cases for Persona 3 FES and Disgaea 1 (games werent in stock). I saw Katamari Damacy.

EDIT: I wonder...maybe I can get the rest of the games sent to our local store...

IrishNinja

started! is Maximo good? and yeah i saw the Disgaeas & debated them but ive got so many J/SRPGs ill never finish, haha. and saw Damacy too, was sad leaving that one there but i think everyone i know who'd play it already does....

Teknoman

started! is Maximo good? and yeah i saw the Disgaeas & debated them but ive got so many J/SRPGs ill never finish, haha. and saw Damacy too, was sad leaving that one there but i think everyone i know who'd play it already does....

Yup its part of the Ghouls and Goblins universe. Challenging in a good way, cool art style, nice environments, pretty straight forward gameplay. I've already got both games, so it might as well go to a good home.

OH just remembered, we might have Contra Shattered Soldier! Damn it, hopefully its still there tomorrow (already have it, but everyone who enjoys action should have the chance to play it).

Mzo

Maximo is very good and nowhere near as hard as people whine about. Irish, remind me to show you my Maximo save file after you play the game.

Shattered Soldier is also very good and gets a bad rap. Haters, man.

IrishNinja

nice, ill jump on maximo if it's cool, then! and yeah, i dont think i even finished level 1 of shattered soldier but it was cool. is Neo Contra worth driving out for?

Teknoman

nice, ill jump on maximo if it's cool, then! and yeah, i dont think i even finished level 1 of shattered soldier but it was cool. is Neo Contra worth driving out for?

Sure i'll pack it up with the others whenever you're ready. That and Army of Zin since I just realized i've got another since I wanted complete copies.

On Neo Contra, I'd say yes...but then again I find there is worth in every Contra. Except the PS1 games. Those are horrid abominations that should be launched into another dimension.

Honestly, its a pretty cool top down shooter, and the bosses/stages are really over the top.

EDIT: Games I managed to grab that I know i'm keeping:

Valkyrie Profile 2
Eternal Poison
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Shadow Hearts

Others I snagged that'll probably be up for trade or just to send if wanted:
Sakura Wars (great concept, not sure I like the soundtrack)
Obscure (One survival horror I havent tried, so who knows?)
Manhunt 2

Top Bottom